Start by marking “The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms” as Want to Read:

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,829 Ratings  ·  202 Reviews
The Fire Starter Sessions is an apathy-kicking, integrity-infusing guide to defining success on your own terms.

As the creator of DanielleLaPorte.com--deemed “the best place online for kick-ass spirituality,” Danielle LaPorte’s straight-talk life-and-livelihood sermons have been read by over one million people. Bold but empathetic, she reframes popular self-help and suc
Published April 17th 2012 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Fire Starter Sessions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fire Starter Sessions

Bri Saussy
Apr 28, 2012 Bri Saussy rated it really liked it
Though I love Danielle LaPorte's web presence and overall attitude, I was not sure how I would enjoy FSS because I had already purchased and worked through the digital version of the program (that is no longer available btw) about a year ago. I expected to get a lot of the same information, same worksheets, and same overall feel from the book as I had from the program-and to some extent that was the case. With that said, I LOVED the book and am so glad that I bought it. First off, its purty. Eve ...more
Terry
Mar 15, 2013 Terry rated it it was amazing
I read about this book from a blog somewhere which directed me to her website at www.daniellelaporte.com. From there I went to Amazon.com and bought the Kindle version immediately. As I began to read just the first few pages, I knew this was more than just a read. So, I went to Audible.com and downloaded the audio version read by Danielle, and as it is done when I want to pour a book over myself and let it have its way with me, I listen and read in synch to get a fuller version.

I am delighted to
Ed
Apr 13, 2013 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I'll start this review with the disclaimer that I did very few of the sessions that Laporte suggested in the book so I can't speak as to their effectiveness overall, though my sister spoke of them positively.

This book is part self-help, part affirmation, and part guide to personal soul searching. There are definitely some valuable ideas and questions to be found within it. My personal favourite was "How do you want to feel?" which is posed to be a alternative to setting specific goals. Rather t
Amanda
Jun 21, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Damn, this book is good. I highly recommend it for anyone who is considering change, of any form. Not only do you feel driven to set out to conquer your dream, but you want to help others with theirs, too. Empowering, inspirational, I want to read a chapter every morning to get a kickstart.
Miranda
May 13, 2012 Miranda rated it it was amazing
A must-read for any creative entrepreneur.
A.E. Shaw
May 05, 2012 A.E. Shaw rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012

So, I read a lot of 'things like this', of the motivational, you can do anything, sort of thing, and the nice thing with this is that Laporte has also read these, thus her content is both summarising and expanding upon and adding to many things with which I was already familiar.

It's firm, but kind, inspirational and peppered with just enough practical suggestions and questions to ask yourself. I particularly like that it draws on the ideas of being self-employed and self-sufficient as much as j
Brandi
Apr 18, 2012 Brandi rated it it was amazing
I've been a big fan of Danielle's for a while now, having followed her on whitehottruth.com, then on to her new site, daniellelaporte.com. I had bought the digital version of this book (called the Spark Kit back then, now since retired) last summer, and devoured it. So when I went ahead preordered the hardcover, all I was expecting was pretty much a paper version of what I had already bought.

Boy, was I wrong.

The Fire Starter Sessions delivers the same message that the Spark Kit did, a message ab
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Aug 26, 2012 Rebecca Waring-Crane rated it it was amazing
Timing. Is. Everything. Just one chapter into this library copy convinced me that I must own it. As I transition from traditional work to that of a self-employed artist, Danielle's voice gives me perspective and hope, while asking questions that show me how much I already know. Nothing woo-woo about it with ideas that zing on every page -- quotes from others and original gems from Danielle.

"Your most valuable currency is what comes most naturally to you."
"Being well-rounded is highly overrated.
LemontreeLime
Jun 26, 2012 LemontreeLime rated it liked it
This is like 'artist's way' for new yorkers. It reminds me of Julia Cameron a lot, but coming from a completely different angle, hooked up to a completely different power supply, for a completely different audience. Laporte hails from the 'Jack Kerouac' school of beat poetry style motivation, which isn't a bad thing. But I am vaguely dissatisfied with it, which is simply a personal reaction. I'm sure it would speak volumes to others.
Seattle
Sep 09, 2012 Seattle rated it did not like it
Disappointing Danielle is great as a blogger but it is challenging to give much credence to a book that is so poorly written and edited. My 16 year old niece could have done a better job stringing together pithy comments and real world insights for a high school social studies class and I didn't make it past the second chapter.
Jess Macallan
May 06, 2012 Jess Macallan rated it it was amazing
Holy cow, this book is amazing! Danielle Laporte offers quick-witted inspiration, with straight talk, eye-opening exercises, and a healthy dose of quotes and comments you'll be tempted to highlight (though the book's so pretty, you just might have to resist). This book is a game-changer for anyone who's ever asked, "What am I supposed to do with my life?"

I highly, HIGHLY recommend this book!
Rachel Dixon
Sep 19, 2012 Rachel Dixon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Fantastic read for those of us who need a push. I quite honestly laughed and cried. The layout is gorgeous. The advice is easy and perhaps that which has been read before, but organized brilliantly. Recommended if you are on the verge of something big and need a bit of a workbook to figure out what that thing is or how to do it.
Petula Darling
Mar 13, 2014 Petula Darling rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldnt-finish
Making it through the cringe-worthy writing proved to be very challenging, so I decided to take the author's advice to not do anything hard and I stopped trying.
Vmichelle Skinner
So this is a brilliant book, but it wasn't what I was expecting. It's directed at business, entrepreneurs, career, etc, but you can take the ideas and apply them to your life in general, even if you're a stay at home mom (ahem). For some reason I was expecting it to be a tight process you go through where you come out at the end with some direction and guidance - more like a business plan. What this actually is, is a series of essays and brainstorming sessions. Each one gives you insight and dir ...more
Egor Chaparyan
Nov 11, 2016 Egor Chaparyan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Послание автора читателю началось с того, что это книга для женщин. Почему? Кажется, сегодня, вроде в эпоху стирания границ, все равно остается контрастное разделение между мужским и женским мирами. Согласно нему мужчина - рационален, а женщина - эмоциональна. Как поверхностно. Дэниэлла Лапорт написала отличную книгу, но чуть не лишилась верного читателя. Мы, мужчины, тоже чувствуем, ищем себя, смеемся и плачем, любим и страдаем, представляете? Образы и ожидания лишают свободы, преумножают огран ...more
Lauren Moz
Jul 27, 2015 Lauren Moz rated it liked it
I enjoyed LaPorte's take on dealing with life and work, and there were definitely a few "yeah, that's me and that is the change I should make" moments when reading it. I didn't do the worksheets, but feel there may be a time I will go back and fill them in. It's a good "remind you" book to go back to when feeling like you are stuck or just need a verbal kick in the butt. I highlight sections that seemed relevant to me, so I treated this like a regular ol' textbook.

After a while, however, I did s
Jay
Jun 24, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it
Oh, so that's what a life coach does! I had wondered. Laporte takes her varied life experiences, including running a think tank, starting companies, being a Mom, attending a White House function with purple hair highlights, as well as readings from a variety of self-help books, poetry, song lyrics, and more, and provides exercises to help the reader live life to the fullest. I liked the references to a variety of sources and the worksheets she provided, and although they mostly felt familiar tha ...more
Jillian
Jan 27, 2016 Jillian rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jillian by: Eva Jorgensen
I loved this so much! Eva Jorgensen, the printmaker behind Sycamore Street Press, recommended it to students in her printing class and I got the audiobook. One of my favorite sections was "the perils of justifying yourself" and you can find a link to an article she wrote about it here: http://www.daniellelaporte.com/the-pe...

Overall, an excellent read and props to LaPorte for having the guts to admit that she goes to an astrologer! So many people do and never admit it:) Whatever your feelings on
Lindsay
Apr 15, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
This book is a mix of serious business prompts, mixed with a little bit of the Artist way, mixed with a little bit of Attraction books (everything happens for a reason!). I love the fact it's not one of the thousand books about business -only- but also have some spiritual and creative prompts to work with - even if you don't have a career. (like me). I've found that some questions are quite confronting.. which is a good thing actually, if you want to know what you are doing and WHY you are doing ...more
Ryan Holiday
Jun 22, 2012 Ryan Holiday rated it it was amazing
I am usually immediately turned-off by books about personal success involving the word "soulful." (It's right there in the title itself.) But Danielle's book, unlike other self-help books, or, like the best kinds of self-help books, is grounded in the current but based on timeless wisdom. The Fire Starter Sessions is like a simultaneous boot to the butt and face. Get up, do something. Life will happen. Let this book help you let life happen.
Kelly
This was kind of boring and uninspiring. The design is really annoying in a lot of ways -- it's bulky, and then there are pages where quotes are made huge and others where they're made small. There didn't seem to be a lot of heart here, almost as though you'd only really love this if you were an insider who knew the author or her other work.

Caroline
May 29, 2012 Caroline rated it really liked it
I love me some Danielle. This one gets me fired up whenever I read her work. Inspiring, raw and real. Highly recommended to anyone who is looking to start a big new project with gusto.
Amandanoel
Just did not resonate with me. Some of the points were good- i.e. Fear and criticism chapter but a lot of it just ran counter to a service based lifestyle
Aliya
May 07, 2014 Aliya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! My first audio book and loved it. Will probably get a hard copy of this book in the near future.
Violet Patterson
Dec 06, 2016 Violet Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great motivator for creatives! I took my time, really worked through the exercises and came out feeling inspired.
Cassandra Chase
Feb 25, 2017 Cassandra Chase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Raysha Letchman
Feb 20, 2017 Raysha Letchman rated it it was amazing
Must read! re-invent your life and have fun doing it with this book.
Katrina Sark
Oct 25, 2015 Katrina Sark rated it did not like it
p.xxii – When we’re spirit-fatigued, we tend to make weak decisions. We compromise.

p.xxix – anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you. (David Whyte, poet)

p.22 – Be careful what you’re good at – you could end up doing it for years.

p.26 – Eventually, I started giving up trying to be good at stuff that made me feel bad.

p.31 – Your curiosity is your growth point. Always.

p.70 – When you feel good, you act smarter. If you act out in anger, things usually don’t go so wel
Charmin
Dec 30, 2013 Charmin rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. When you strive for mastery, you become more accessible. Aspiring to something greater always makes you more vulnerable. And it’s that kind of openness that allows for 2. If you’re leading others to what you love and believe, you’ve gone tribal.
3. When you’re letting your genius fly, you make it look so natural. *Your curiosity is your growth point. *Leverage what you already know with what turns you on. Your insight and a passion project = hell yes!
4. Wanting to be unique vs. wan
Helena
Feb 24, 2016 Helena rated it it was amazing
This book is EXTREMELY special. You've got to be ready to read it and understand it and apply it. This is my first time through but will need to go through it many times to really apply all of the golden nuggets.

Danielle is amazing.
Her personal depth is rare these days. Really. This is a 'Bible' of how to connect to what you were born to do. She nails it. AND you MUST read it and share a copy with the people in your life you want to see happy.

This is also a book on HOW to start a journey of T
  • Money, A Love Story: Untangling Your Finances, Creating the Life You Really Want, and Living Your Purpose
  • Transformational Speaking: If You Want to Change the World, Tell a Better Story
  • Finding Your Way in a Wild New World: Reclaim Your True Nature to Create the Life You Want
  • May Cause Miracles: A 40-Day Guidebook of Subtle Shifts for Radical Change and Unlimited Happiness
  • Uncertainty: Turning Fear and Doubt into Fuel for Brilliance
  • The Way of the Happy Woman: Living the Best Year of Your Life
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Turning Pro
  • This I Know: Notes on Unraveling the Heart
  • Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
  • Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance
  • Get Rich Lucky Bitch Release Your Money Blocks and Live a First Class Life
  • Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want
  • Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, and Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Redesigning Leadership (Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life)
  • Confidence: How Winning Streaks and Losing Streaks Begin and End
  • The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters
Danielle LaPorte is a member of Oprah’s Super Soul 100, a group who, in Oprah Winfrey’s words, “is uniquely connecting the world together with a spiritual energy that matters.”

She is author of The Fire Starters Sessions, and The Desire Map—the book that turned into a day planner and journal system, a top 10 iTunes app, and an international workshop program with licensed facilitators. Her next book
More about Danielle LaPorte...

“When you hang with your tribe, you feel invigorated, recognized, and understood—you can’t underestimate the powerful effects of being fortified in that way. When you have your tribe on speed dial, you’ve got all the resources you need to fuel up, fly straight, and head back out to face the world at large.” 6 likes
“If your goals aren’t synced with the substance of your heart, then achieving them won’t matter much.” 4 likes