Start by marking “Sara's Laughter” as Want to Read:
Sara's Laughter
Open Preview read book

Sara's Laughter

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Sara, a woman in her mid-thirties, is trying unsuccessfully to get pregnant. Her hope is kept alive by a dream in which she hears God tell her husband that she will have a baby. When something unexpected happens it looks as if her dream will come true, but when her plan is thwarted Sara discovers a side of her nature she never imagined.
Published December 1st 2011 by Nepperhan Press LLC (first published July 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sara's Laughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sara's Laughter

Debbie
I received this book as an ARC from Goodreads. I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn't. I will start by saying that I am not a Catholic and this book relies heavily on the basis of Catholic faith. I am also very aware of and active in the adoptive community which is also a subject depicted in this book, not in the best of lights. The two previously stated facts mean that I might not be the best person to review this book.

However with that said, I did not find this book an enjoyable
Jean
I can relate to the feeling of wanting to have a baby and being disappointed month after month when there are no positive results. I personally suffered from endometriosis, as well as some other infertility issues on my side of the fence. I relied on fertility medication to have my children. I am blessed to say that I was able to have two of my own children with two miscarriages in between them. However, I know many women who no matter what treatment they have are still unsuccessful in getting p ...more
Amy
Very excited to receive an e-mail message from goodreads. Can't wait for this book to arrive. I will type out my review asap. THANKS GOODREADS! :)

So, I just wanted to give a quick update.... I just started this book 3 days ago and past the halfway point. Can't say enough about the way it is written. The plot is very easy to follow and brings up many points that are tough to deal with. The whole topic and plot of the story is very sad and emotional so far, but by the way it is written it isn't to
Michelle Ehrich
I received a copy of this book from Goodreads for free as part of the First Reads program.

Well, it's a book about women's issues written by a man, but I still didn't think it'd be quite this terrible. Also, while I don't agree with the religious views of this book, I don't feel it should be condemned just because of them. I don't have to agree with every feeling a character has in a book to enjoy it, so that's really not the issue. I do take issue with how preachy the religion in the book gets.
Carol
Sara has a good life - a wonderful marriage and a great job teaching third grade at St. Brigid's school. She and Marcelo had bought their house partly to be closer to her widowed father, making it easier to care for him. She had felt blessed when her racist father accepted her Dominican husband, even the chance of having 'black' grandchildren. But Sara still hears her mother's voice in her head, telling her she waited too long to marry and have children. While her physician husband understands h ...more
Adrian
I won a copy of this book through the GoodReads First Reads giveaway.

This is the story of Sara, a woman that waited until she found the "right" man before getting married. Now happily married, Sara and her husband, Marcelo, hope to start a family only to run into fertility issues.

This book was very well written although there were quite a few sentences I had to read over because they're written like the person said it followed by "she did not say" or "he didn't have to say" or things to that ef
Lorrie
An excellent portrayal of a couples desire to start a family yet faced with utter disappointment when it is discovered that Sara is unable to conceive a child. The odds are stacked against them in every avenue both physical and through moral belief. A troubled relationship between sisters, having her mothers disapproving voice haunting her every move, and facing the dilemma of her father’s deteriorating ability to care for himself, may seem to contribute to Sara’s frustration with the situation ...more
Yvonne
Sara's Laughter was a quick and easy read for me, despite the heavy subject matters of infertility and abortion. For some, it may be a more difficult read, such as a reader who has a differing opinion on the subject. The book is heavy on Catholicism, specifically strict Irish Catholicism. I found it interesting since it differed from my looser Catholic upbringing, but again, other readers may find that aspect a bit overdone. The main characters Sara and Marcelo were easy to like since they were ...more
Angie
I received this book through the GoodReads First Reads program. (Thank you!)

I can honestly say this is the first book I have every finished in 24 hrs. I could not put it down!

Sara was a great character, one in which I could relate to on many levels. There are many comments by others regarding religious issues, and abortion specifically. I think the religion piece plays a key role in this book and I don't think it would be the same, nor as great, without. I was not such a fan of the part where th
Alan Lee

I received this book through Goodreads' first read. This is the first book I won through about 4 months of entering contest. I was pretty excited to receive this. Also, not much more than a week later, I won a second book. Can't wait to get it. Now the review:

The last few books I have read have not had very likable characters. In fact, they have had some downright bad people. It was so refreshing to read a book with good and likable people in it. I get so tired of couples in books bein
Ariana
I received a signed copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Sara and her husband Marcelo want a baby very badly, and have not managed to get pregnant 'doing what nornal couples do,' as her father continually advises her.

This book deals with many issues, including the morality of contraceptives, in vitro, abortion, murder, violence, caring for one's family (especially when they are not easy to care for...), jealousy, premarital sex, and so on and so forth. I think that my favorite aspect of t
Stephanie Wolf
Sara is such a loving person, but cannot get pregnant because of a medical condition she has no control over. Being a good Catholic person, there are some things she morally can do and cannot do. A loving husband supporting her all the way, a mother who passed away too soon but continues to talk to her in her mind, a father who thinks creating a baby should have no complications, a sister who is always trying to beat Sara-her grades, her job, etc. and a best friend in the same type of situation. ...more
Michele Coleman
I received this through an authors give away and I send thanks to Tom Milton for the book and signing it. It was a quick read with good characters. I enjoyed the storyline about a woman trying to get pregnant and her pain of not conceiving. I felt he really got to the meat of the story when I was close to the end and then wrapped it up really quick and neat. A good read though and I would read him again.
Amy
Won this book on Goodreads. Rating this book with just one star feels unfair. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be so highly involved with God and Catholicism. Just couldn't get into it and didn't finish it. Is that the author's fault? No. You can't please everyone. I gave this book a shot and it didn't work out but I'm glad I was given the chance to try something different.
Dan
I received this Advance Reader Copy (ARC) from LibraryThing Members giveaway.
I liked this book a lot; it is fast paced, and a page turner; in fact, when I reached the last chapter, I could not sleep until I finished the book and I was happy with the ending.
I recommend giving this book to whomever is considering an abortion, it will certainly change their minds.
Becca
I just won this on First Reads!
I can definitely see how some people would really like this book, but not being Catholic it was a little too Catholic for me. I thought it was very well written and I am glad I read it. I did not agree with a lot of the views of the characters, but it did make me look at things from a different perspective.
Bev
I won this book on the Good Reads give away. I enjoyed reading the book however the ending was way to abrupt. The character development was good and I felt the story was believable but when it came to the end...it was too easy a fix for the story line. Otherwise I enjoyed the book and would recommend it.
Robin
Sara's Laughter is a sweet story about a sweet couple that are commited to being good people of God....Even when the selfish, unhappy people cross their paths they continue to follow Gods word....
I think this book carries a most honorable message..
God has a plan for our lives.......
Sherri
This book was a bit to predictable, and not too enjoyable. I couldn't really connect with any of the characters, I know it's a fictional book but they seemed almost too fake...
I really wanted to like this book, and I gave it my best.

I won this book in a giveaway.
Shannon
This book sounds fascinating. I'm in the age group of the main character so I think it will be interesting to see how it relates. I'm excited to read it and see how the characters interact and what progresses in the story line. Really looking forward to this book!
Crystal
I did not enjoy this book at all. The story could have been quite interesting but the conversations were very tedious and the “arguments” were so exclusive and illogical that this book was not enjoyable.

I received this book as a firstreads book.
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
A Ranjithkumarreddy
A Ranjithkumarreddy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Deidre
Deidre marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2012
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2060450
I have been writing all my life, and seven years ago I started publishing my novels. Since then I have published nine: No Way to Peace, The Admiral’s Daughter, All the Flowers, Infamy, A Shower of Roses, Sara's Laughter, The Golden Door, Outside the Gate, and Leave of Absence, which was published this July.

I write novels not only to entertain but also to bring a deeper understanding of how the maj
More about Tom Milton...