Start by marking “The China Gambit (Craig Page, #1)” as Want to Read:
The China Gambit (Craig Page, #1)

The China Gambit (Craig Page #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In Canada, Francesca, a young American reporter, is brutally murdered to stop her from publishing an explosive story.She has learned that Chinese General Zhou has orchestrated a conspiracy with Iran to stop the flow of imported oil to the United States.General Zhou’s goal:To leapfrog China over the United States for world economic and military supremacy.And the ruthless Ge ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Vantage Point

To ask other readers questions about The China Gambit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The China Gambit

Debbie
I enjoy a good conspiracy theory/action/adventure story and I have especially been enjoying the books involving the struggle between the US and China for world dominance. It's a situation that is so feasible it is scary to imagine that situations like these could really take lace and that is what makes reading the books that much more enjoyable.

The story line of The China Gambit was interesting and it makes you wonder just how far will people go get ahead of everyone else. This book is pretty mu
Wendy Hines
Francesca Page has a career breaking story and she can't wait to get it typed up and sent to her editor, Elizabeth Crowder. She even has a headline thought out, "Chinese General Develops Plot Against the United States." However, she's accosted by two men masquerading as police officers outside of her office. Using her briefcase as a weapon, she escapes to her car but a truck meets her head-on on the highway and Francesca's story dies with her.

However, her father, former CIA Agent Craig Page, bel
Nawnee
Feb 12, 2012 Nawnee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nawnee by: Goodreads
Shelves: freebie-books
This is a tale of international intrigue, and it will grab you right from the beginning. Craig Page is ex-CIA now operating as a private consultant for the Italian government, but keeping an eye on dangerous groups. He saved the United States from a bombing plot at Madison Square Garden. He deliberately disobeying the orders of the CIA head. This resulted in his dismissal. Now his only family is his daughter Franclesca, a reporter for the New York Tribune. He had lost his wife Carolyn to bacteri ...more
Stephen

This is a page turner from the get-go. It is a tale of international intrigue. Craig Page is ex-CIA now operating as a private consultant for the Italian government, but keeping an eye on dangerous groups. He saved the United States from a bombing plot at Madison Square Garden in New York. But he did it on his own, disobeying the orders of the CIA head, Kirby. This resulted in his dismissal from his government job. Now his only family is his daughter , Francesca, a reporter for the New York Tri
Kathy Martin
If you are completely willing to suspend any belief in reality, this was a very exciting thriller. Craig Page, run out of the CIA by his politically connected and corrupt boss, is making a new life for himself in Europe when his daughter, who is an investigative reporter, stumbles on a hot story that gets her killed. Craig is determined to find out who killed her and get revenge. He is assisted in his quest by his daughter's boss Elizabeth Crowder who quits her job as a newspaper editor to help ...more
Jonathan Tomes
In my last book review, I said that I knew about 40 pages into it that it was a five-star book. This one took a little longer. I was thinking a strong four stars until I was more than half-way through, but by the end, it was five stars. The suspense thriller, The China Gambit, by Allan Topol, is about Craig Pope, a former CIA agent, and a New York Tribune editor, Elizabeth Crowder, who team up to find out why the former agent’s daughter, who worked for the editor, had died when working on a bloc ...more
Kai
The China Gambit is a fast action story. It all began when Francesca Page discovered a big story and was killed for it. Her father, Craig Page and her boss, Elizabeth Crowder saw the inconsistency of her report death, started digging and discovered not only did Francesca had a big story, she also discovered a plot that might destroy the U.S. The action does not stopped as the story goes from Calgary, Canada to Tehran, Iran to Washington D.C. and to Beijing China. As the story goes on, the reader ...more
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
The China Gambit leaps off the page and grabs you by the throat! Craig Page is another in a long line of great action men, like Steve Berry's Cotton Malone. After he learns of his daughters suspicious death, Craig is on a mission to discover the truth. Along for the ride comes Elizabeth Crowder who was Francesca's former editor at the newspaper at which she worked. From Canada to Iran, China, D.C., and Colorado, The China Gambit takes us all across the globe fighting against treachery, traitors, ...more
Beth
Disclaimer - This was a giveaway book by Goodreads. I received this book very quickly after winning the givaway. Thank you Mr. Topol!

This is the genre of book that I gavitate to. A far flung conspiracy to change the political face of the world. Lots of twists and turns and a couple of surprises. Much running, hiding and surviving assasins trying to kill the good guys. A read that kept my attention throughout, not a book that I felt I had to keep reading to see if I would like it. I liked it from
Pam
The Death of his daughter Francesca, a reporter with the biggest story of her young career, Craig Page sets out to find the persons responsible for her death. What was the story? Why did it get her killed? Page a former CIA agent working to fight terrorism, finds a partner in his daughter's boss and adventure ensues. Traveling from Canada, Tehran, and China .... coming face to face with old foes and new ones.

Allan Topol takes you on a journey that keeps you reading and even makes you wonder abo
Alan
The only reason I picked up this book was because I happened to meet Mr. Topol in a B&N in Manhattan, where he was promoting the book, and about to embark on a tour.

What a fortuitous chance meeting. While I usually enjoy a little bit longer pacing as far as writing styles go, Mr. Topol's chapters, while sometimes brief, are full of entertainment. The protagonist, Craig Page, is resourceful and daring, but not immortal.

I look forward to the next Craig Page thriller.
Becky
I really enjoyed this book, great intensity without getting bogged down in the technical side of things as some of the other authors of this genre do. I loved the pace, the mystery and intrigue. I didn't totally buy the relationship, but it wasn't distracting and didn't take away from the story. In all, if you like Jason Bourne, or Jack from Hunt for Red October, Craig Page is one to add to your list!
Katie Jones
I won this book through goodreads giveaways and I started the book as soon as I received it. Immediately, I couldn't put it down. It kept me on my feet and I really enjoyed the book. I'm not big into politics, especially international politics, but this book was easy to follow. I didn't feel that I got to know the main characters as well as I would have liked to but this was overall a very easy read.
Nicole
Mar 31, 2012 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: espionage fans
Received through Goodreads giveaways.

The China Gambit was a quick, fun read. It was well-written, and although it's not the first book in the series, it was easy to come into the story line partway through without feeling completely lost. Mr. Topol paced the action appropriately and the characters were fully-developed and sympathetic. If you like espionage, you'll enjoy The China Gambit!
Bridget Sphung
I was pleasantly surprised by how easy this book was to read. Many spy thrillers are hard to follow and remember all of the players and details. This book flowed quite nicely and the plot was not overly difficult to follow. I enjoyed it and will definitely read the next Craig Page thriller.
Carol K.
Absolutely excellent reading, impossible to put down...I won this book on Goodreads. The author brings us into the workings of international politics and conspiracies...also, excellent work on the settings and cultures in the various countries. I look forward to his next book.
Amy
An incredible, fast-paced, well-written thriller! Similar to Nelson DeMille and main character, Craig Page, is similar to DeMille's John Corey. Didn't want to put it down, kept wanting more! Allan Topol is a new favorite author, looking forward to reading more from him!
Kathy
4.5. Alan Topol’s The China Gambit is a pulse pounding action packed political thriller. To read my review in its entirety, please visit http://www.bookreviewsandmorebykathy....
Mary
2012

This book was a disappointment. The political thriller part was very good, but it wasn't that well written. There were a few sex scenes that seemed to be inserted and could easily be skipped over.
Melissa
Enjoyable book, fast paced and easy reading. My only complaint is that sticky situations are resolved to easily, the "help" seems out of place for the situation. Will look for more books by this author.
Irene Menge
This is the first Craig Page thriller that I have read. I can't wait to read more. Very exciting. Just the kind of book I love. I couldn't put it down.
Alexandra Bogdanovic
Alexandra Bogdanovic marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Pablo E Juarez
Pablo E Juarez marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Alaina Rodriguez
Alaina Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Pascale
Pascale marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Neal Atkins
Neal Atkins marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Vine in the Blood: A Chief Inspector Mario Silva Investigation
  • A Thousand Bayonets
  • The Variations: A Novel
  • The Paris Directive
  • Tin Soldier (Seven Halos, #2)
  • Getaway
  • Dark Mind
  • Pot Inc.: Inside Medical Marijuana, America's Most Outlaw Industry
  • The Future Church: How Ten Trends are Revolutionizing the Catholic Church
  • Doing What We Came to Do: Living a Life of Love
  • The Princess and the Pepperoni Pizza
  • Learn to Tie a Tie with the Rabbit and the Fox: Story with Instructional Song
  • And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • A Cowboy Comes Home (Colorado Cattle Barons, #1)
  • Slices
  • Zack & Zoey's Alien Apocalypse -or- Alien Busting Ninja Adventure (Z&Z Book 1)
  • Destiny's Call (The Lightbridge Legacy, #1)
  • Agents of Change (Agents of Change, #1)
Allan Topol is the national bestselling author of six novels of international intrigue, including Spy Dance, recently translated into Chinese. He is a graduate of Carnegie Institute of Technology, who majored in chemistry, abandoned science, and obtained a law degree from Yale University. A partner in a major Washington law firm, and an avid wine collector, he has traveled extensively, researching ...more
More about Allan Topol...

Craig Page (3 books)
  • The Spanish Revenge (Craig Page, #2)
  • The Russian Endgame
Spy Dance The Spanish Revenge (Craig Page, #2) Conspiracy Dark Ambition Enemy of My Enemy