Start by marking “Hearing the Other Side: Deliberative Versus Participatory Democracy” as Want to Read:
Hearing the Other Side: Deliberative Versus Participatory Democracy

Hearing the Other Side: Deliberative Versus Participatory Democracy

'Religion and politics', as the old saying goes, 'should never be discussed in mixed company.'And yet fostering discussions that cross lines of political difference has long been a central concern of political theorists. More recently, it has also become a cause celebre for pundits and civic-minded citizens wanting to improve the health of American democracy. But only ...more
Published September 21st 2010 by Cambridge University Press (first published 2006)

Paul
Sep 03, 2015 Paul rated it liked it
I enjoyed the ideas of this book but I didn't particularly enjoy reading it. This was an extremely technical academic book with a lot of academia wording. I am not going to do the usual review of Hearing the Other Side. I'll be honest, it feels too much like homework to do a normal review, and I'm just not in the mood to do it. Instead here are some things I learned while reading Hearing the Other Side:

1. Deliberative democracy(talking to the opposition frequently about politics) has gone down.
Benjamin
Feb 08, 2012 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Excellent book. The author shows that we want people to talk about politics with their friends (especially with those we disagree with) and associates but also participate actively in electoral politics (voting, campaigning, etc.). She finds that one comes at the expense of the other. Those who talk about politics with networks who disagree with them vote and participate at much lower levels than those who talk only with those who disagree with them. So we basically have to pick: do we want ...more
Mustafa Oz
Nov 07, 2013 Mustafa Oz rated it it was amazing
This book gives you better understanding about how cross cutting political discussion effect political participation and engagement.Author's argument is sound and examples makes sense. if you want to learn more about how political discussion among non like minded people effect democratic process then you should read this book.
Nick
Mar 18, 2009 Nick rated it really liked it
A fascinating sociological account of the relationship between active, participatory political activity and cross-cutting political dialogue. Mutz presents the provacative findings of her research here, and questions whether deliberative and participatory modes of demoncracy inherently undermine each other.
Alexis West
Alexis West rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2008
Daniel Mont
Daniel Mont rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Trish Roberts-miller
Trish Roberts-miller rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2008
Joshua
Oct 31, 2007 Joshua rated it liked it
Take that deliberative democracy!
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2008
Tracey Dickinson
Tracey Dickinson rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Erik
Erik rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Jamelle
Jamelle rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2009
Neil Baer
Neil Baer rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2007
Nikolai
Nikolai rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2007
Luke MacDonald
Luke MacDonald rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Mia Addison
Mia Addison rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Robert Klemmesne
Robert Klemmesne rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2010
Owen Raisch
Owen Raisch rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Lamine
Lamine rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Robm
Robm rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Kris Smiley
Kris Smiley rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2016
John Carter McKnight
John Carter McKnight rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2010
CLM
Oct 21, 2008 CLM marked it as to-read
Recommended to CLM by: Slate
Shelves: nonfiction
Depending on how accessible this is, it sounds like a good book group choice.
Jackson Popelka
Jackson Popelka rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2013
Minjie Li
Oct 20, 2012 Minjie Li rated it it was amazing
My favorite book on Political Communication so far=)
Naser Alnaser
Naser Alnaser rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2014
K.M.
K.M. rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Larry Bernstein
Larry Bernstein rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015