Start by marking “Hearing the Other Side: Deliberative Versus Participatory Democracy” as Want to Read:
Hearing the Other Side: Deliberative Versus Participatory Democracy

Hearing the Other Side: Deliberative Versus Participatory Democracy

'Religion and politics', as the old saying goes, 'should never be discussed in mixed company.'And yet fostering discussions that cross lines of political difference has long been a central concern of political theorists. More recently, it has also become a cause celebre for pundits and civic-minded citizens wanting to improve the health of American democracy. But only rece ...more
Published September 21st 2010 by Cambridge University Press (first published 2006)

Paul
Sep 03, 2015 Paul rated it liked it
I enjoyed the ideas of this book but I didn't particularly enjoy reading it. This was an extremely technical academic book with a lot of academia wording. I am not going to do the usual review of Hearing the Other Side. I'll be honest, it feels too much like homework to do a normal review, and I'm just not in the mood to do it. Instead here are some things I learned while reading Hearing the Other Side:

1. Deliberative democracy(talking to the opposition frequently about politics) has gone down.
Benjamin
Feb 08, 2012 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Excellent book. The author shows that we want people to talk about politics with their friends (especially with those we disagree with) and associates but also participate actively in electoral politics (voting, campaigning, etc.). She finds that one comes at the expense of the other. Those who talk about politics with networks who disagree with them vote and participate at much lower levels than those who talk only with those who disagree with them. So we basically have to pick: do we want peop ...more
Mustafa Oz
Nov 07, 2013 Mustafa Oz rated it it was amazing
This book gives you better understanding about how cross cutting political discussion effect political participation and engagement.Author's argument is sound and examples makes sense. if you want to learn more about how political discussion among non like minded people effect democratic process then you should read this book.
Nick
Mar 18, 2009 Nick rated it really liked it
A fascinating sociological account of the relationship between active, participatory political activity and cross-cutting political dialogue. Mutz presents the provacative findings of her research here, and questions whether deliberative and participatory modes of demoncracy inherently undermine each other.
CLM
Oct 21, 2008 CLM marked it as to-read
Recommended to CLM by: Slate
Shelves: nonfiction
Depending on how accessible this is, it sounds like a good book group choice.
Minjie Li
Oct 20, 2012 Minjie Li rated it it was amazing
My favorite book on Political Communication so far=)
Joshua
Oct 31, 2007 Joshua rated it liked it
Take that deliberative democracy!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Jadedpsyche
Jadedpsyche marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Trish Roberts-miller
Trish Roberts-miller is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2016
Joe
Joe added it
Sep 04, 2016
Federico
Federico marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Nam
Nam marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Daniel Mont
Daniel Mont rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Vinicius Aguiar
Vinicius Aguiar marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Marco
Marco rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Craig Brown
Craig Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Callan Mcgill
Callan Mcgill marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Ricardo Ruiz
Ricardo Ruiz marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Nathan Byrd
Nathan Byrd marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Trenton
Trenton marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Max Ward
Max Ward marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Dominic Mitchell
Dominic Mitchell marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Stephanie Kilpatrick
Stephanie Kilpatrick marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
K.M.
K.M. rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Mia Addison
Mia Addison rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016