Start by marking “The Other Side of Truth” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of Truth

The Other Side of Truth (The Other Side of Truth #1)

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  1,578 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
After the murder of their mother, twelve-year-old Sade and her younger brother are smuggled out of Nigeria by their journalist father to escape the corrupt military government and growing violence. They are sent to their uncle in London, but when they arrive, he is missing and they are abandoned, passed between foster homes. Their father escapes to England to find them -- ...more
Published December 24th 2002 by Amistad (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of Truth, please sign up.

Katlynn It not so fun, but very interesting this book is quite good for people who are interest about human discrimination and the truth about this harsh…moreIt not so fun, but very interesting this book is quite good for people who are interest about human discrimination and the truth about this harsh society.
(less)

Anna
Okay, so this novel was not at all like I expected (perhaps I should have read the flap more carefully) but it was still really good. It’s a surprisingly complicated and engaging story about a girl named Sade and her brother Femi who live in Nigeria but have to leave suddenly after their mother is killed by the government. Their father is a controversial journalist who is not afraid to speak the truth and, therefore, is not well-liked by the government. They meant to shoot him but killed mama ac ...more
Madeline
"Sade is slipping her English book into her schoolbag when Mama screams. Two sharp cracks splinter the air. She hears her father's fierce cry, rising, falling.
'No! No!'
The revving of a car engine and skidding of tires smother his voice.
...Papa is kneeling in the driveway, Mama partly curled up against him. One bare leg stretches out in front of her. His strong hands grip her, trying to halt the growing scarlet monster. But it has already spread down her bright white nurse's uniform. It stains t
Debbie
Jan 13, 2008 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Sade lives in Nigeria with her mother (a nurse), her father (a journalist), and her younger brother, Femi. Her father writes articles for the last remaining newspaper in Nigeria that dares to publish the truth about Nigeria's brutal military government.

When their mother is killed by government gunmen, their father hires a woman to pose as their mother and smuggle them into London, where they will stay with an uncle. Their father plans to join them as soon as he can get a fake passport.

Sade and
Susan
Aug 03, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Sade sees her Mom shot in the driveway of her home in Nigeria because her father who is a journalist has upset powerful people by publishing the truth. Sade and her brother are smuggled out of Nigeria to London to an uncle who lives there. But the woman who smuggles them out leaves them on their own and when they try to find their uncle, he is missing! They are alone in a foreign place and must find a way to survive. I think this book could teach us sympathy for the many students in our schools ...more
The Book Queen
Apr 29, 2015 The Book Queen marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Gah. This was so boring and the characters were so uninteresting and annoying - especially Sade; I had no sympathy for her at all - that I had to put it down. I thought I was going to love this, after the first page, which immediately caught my attention, but Sade's immaturity and emotionless narration really got on my nerves.
Elizabeth
Aug 24, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This was such an interesting story of corruption in Nigeria, through the eyes of some children. Very informative and yet easy to read. I really enjoyed it.
Emma Long
Aug 06, 2012 Emma Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Other Side of Truth' is a harrowing account of how the lives of Sade and her brother, Femi, are turned upside down. The story it set during the Autumn of 1995 in the aftermath of Ken Saro-Wiwa's execution in Nigeria for alleged political crimes. Sade's father, a controversial journalist for the Newspaper 'Speak' is determined to unveil the oppressive military regime in Nigeria. In an attempted assassination on his life, his wife is shot in the chest and it is made known that the culprits wi ...more
Den
Nov 10, 2011 Den rated it really liked it
This helps me on my around the world journey: Nigeria has now been visited.

Sade and Femi are smuggled out of their country for their own safety and away from everyone and everything they know after their mother is murdered by the government due to their father being a very out-spoken journalist who wants the world to know the truth about Nigeria. In the UK they are abandoned by the woman paid to deliver them to their uncle and when they finally get to his place of work, they discover he is missi
Samir
Jun 05, 2008 Samir rated it really liked it
I just finished reading The Other Side of Truth by Beverly Naidoo and it was a very interesting novel. The author keeps you in the book the whole time.
What this book is about is Sade and her younger brother have to flee Nigeria because of the civil war. They flee by themselves because their mother was killed and their father works for the government. Eventually they flee and get to London but then are abandoned by this person who helped them get their. What I liked about this book is about how r
Liralen
Aug 27, 2013 Liralen rated it liked it
Refugee stories seem topical at the moment, don't they? I imagine that if Sade and Femi arrived in England now, in 2015, their experience would be very different (better, worse, I don't know—but different) than in 1995, when this book takes place.

I feel a bit 'meh' about the plot. Despite complications, Sade and Femi seem to have really good luck in foster care, but much of the book is devoted to that struggle to fit in and so on, and...well, I kind of think Femi has it right: he takes a back se
Leo Valdez
Feb 11, 2017 Leo Valdez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"The truth keeps hands cleaner than soap."
An amazing story revealing the struggles of Nigerians.Wonderfully written and a must-read book.
Noam
In this book the main characters face dangers, fears, and conflicts. I am a big fan of this book. It is really good because it makes you think about the challenges of some people in the world. I loved the context but I think the author (Beverly Naidoo) at some parts was too descriptive and then it got a little boring. The book is sad because you can never imagine something so terrible happening to you. Although the characters are fictional they seem real. In this book you hear about the challeng ...more
Akua D
Jul 01, 2012 Akua D rated it really liked it
The Other Side of Truth is a story about a Nigerian girl named Sade who's mother was assassinated due to her father's political views. As a result of her mother's death the family are forced to leave Nigeria. The story follows the plight of the family.
This book was used to teach topic to year 6 and linked in well with refugee week at the school. The book can be used to teach a range of different subjects including English, Geography, PSHE etc.
Sara
Battle Book - I really like Beverley Naidoo as an author. The characters draw you in and if you've ever worked with refugees, it makes you think about their lives and stories and how little we know/understand about what they have dealt with and may still be.

This would be a great class book for an intermediate ELL classroom!
Hannah Liddle
I am shocked at the number of bad reviews for this book!

Although it may not have the most gripping storyline, it highlights important issues around lying, bullying, homelessness and asylum seeking. I enjoyed the book as a whole and think that it makes a change to read such a brutally honest story.
Samantha
Nov 29, 2007 Samantha added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: advisory-07-08
This book was about life in Nigeria during a time of struggle. Two children lose their parents at a young age and are forced to grow up rapidly. They have to fend for themselves. I think that by reading this book, I have become more greatful for what I have. I now see how important family is as well as safety in a country/ government is influencial.
Peter Nguyen
May 09, 2013 Peter Nguyen rated it it was amazing
A spicy, flavorful book which will sizzle your life. A Nigerian girl struggling, due to the murder of her Mama, in London with her brother, Femi, without any adult supervision. Action=packed with soothing but sizzling details. Words I've never heard before pops up occasionally. An amazing read of the truth. Beverly Naidoo really knows how amp up a story.
F
Jan 14, 2011 F rated it it was ok
While the storyline was quite good, there's just something about Naidoo's writing style that made me feel annoyed while reading the book. To me, it seemed flat, repetitive, too simple and not very engaging. The issue brought up was interesting, but the tone of the writing made it boring to read.
Vona
Mar 15, 2013 Vona rated it liked it
This was a really good book. Tense and cliff-hanging. I really liked it, and it made me think about the people on the other side of the world going through a hard time because they are living in a corrupt country. I almost felt as if I was a refugee like Sade and Femi.
Clare
May 22, 2012 Clare rated it really liked it
Teen book I read because I went to a talk with the author. Good and well-written story which I think is already used in many schools to tell the story of a refugee family from the 12 yr old Sade's viewpoint.....
Farhan Attamimi
Jun 06, 2008 Farhan Attamimi rated it really liked it
This book is quite good. It really has a meaning to it and makes you think of less fortunate kids.
Fenixbird SandS
Janine Darragh
This novel really shows some of the complexity surrounding refugees. In this case, 12-year old Sade and her little brother Femi, must leave for London from Nigeria after their mother is killed, due to their father's journalistic reporting about the violence going on in Nigeria. The author herself was forced into exile from South Africa, where she was imprisoned for her involvement in resistance to apartheid, and she clarifies in the back of the book which parts of this novel are fiction and whic ...more
Emma
Nov 13, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started with a quote from John Donne, which I loved.
The cover shows the publishers quote "Inspiring generations" and I believe this YA novel does just that. A gripping story of a young girl's journey to England, fleeing Nigeria. Great insights in to the problems in Nigeria at the time, plus the plight of refugees.
Itrat Hasan
Apr 22, 2017 Itrat Hasan rated it it was amazing
A great book everyone should read

Meredith
Jun 27, 2011 Meredith rated it liked it
Maybe a 3.25. There were times when I felt like the story dragged a little bit. Here is the review I wrote for my YA literature class. I picked this book to fulfill the requirements for a Global/Ethnic novel.

Beverley Naidoo’s book, “The Other Side of Truth” is a fictional story set in modern Nigeria and London, dealing with intense political unrest and refugees seeking asylum from corrupt government. The story follows two children, Sade and Femi, who are smuggled out of Nigeria under very dange
Ranyabelmaachi
Feb 19, 2015 Ranyabelmaachi rated it it was amazing

Febuary 18, 2015

There have been few locations in The Other Side of the Truth. The settings in the novel are Nigeria, Laos and London. In the beginning of the novel the story takes place in Nigeria, Laos. For instance it is where the government shot Sade’s mom because her father was a journalist who confronted what they said about economy. How they didn’t have enough money to pay local things. Another location in the book is London where the rest of the story takes place. It’s where Femi and Sad
obessionsandheartbreaks
I had to read it for school but it actually turned out to pretty good.
Kelly O'toole
"The Other Side of Truth" by Beverley Naidoo is the story of two Nigerian children who flee their country for safety. It is set in the autumn of 1995 during the reign in Nigeria of the despot General Abacha, who is waging a campaign of suppression against journalists. A Nigerian girl and her younger brother must leave suddenly after their mother is killed in a failed assassination of their outspoken father, who writes critical articles about the corrupt Nigerian government.
Although this novel i
Nicolas Barker
Sep 23, 2014 Nicolas Barker rated it it was ok
The other side of truth
Beverly Naidoo

Life is perfect for a family in Nigeria until the mother is tragically killed by the government, this book takes you on a journey of the children going to London and their struggle to find their Uncle who was supposed to be waiting for them. Along the journey they encounter many problems like being ditched at the London, and getting into trouble with the police.

I could not relate to Sade, this is because i have never had to move country to live and i have ne
  • Coram Boy
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • Cuba 15 (Readers Circle)
  • The Stone Goddess
  • River Boy
  • The Garbage King
  • Goggle-Eyes
  • The Scarecrows
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • Peter Pan and Other Plays: The Admirable Crichton; Peter Pan; When Wendy Grew Up; What Every Woman Knows; Mary Rose
  • The Wool-Pack
  • Bog Child
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • Child of Dandelions
  • Voices in the Park
  • Samir and Yonatan
  • A Pack of Lies
  • Chanda's Secrets (Chanda, #1)
Beverley Naidoo was born in South Africa on 21 May 1943 and grew up under apartheid. As a student, she began to question the apartheid regime and was later arrested for her actions as part of the resistance movement in South Africa. In 1965 she went into exile, going to England. She married another South African exile; they have two children.
More about Beverley Naidoo...

The Other Side of Truth (2 books)
  • Web of Lies