Start by marking “First Flight” as Want to Read:
First Flight

First Flight

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Jesse Swanson’s life is pretty normal: He has a job he doesn’t mind, his parents are pretty decent, and he’s got a boyfriend. So what if he still lives at home? So what if he thinks he argues a little too often with his guy?

Everything changes when he stops to pick up a bird and ends up picking up a new guy instead. Chris, formerly known as Sings-like-water, is fascinated b
Published November 16th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about First Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Flight

This is a sweet story that deals with serious issue: stalking and harassment. It's also about a Raven shifter, but not like the usual shifter stories.

(view spoiler)
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Nov 20, 2011 ♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) marked it as dnf
Shelves: mm
DNF at 68%

First Flight is a book that, with some tighter editing, could have been great.

One thing that was obvious to me as I was reading this book was that Connor Wright has alot of potential. This story has a fresh concept and a different take on shifters. Chris is a raven who suddenly finds himself human. Jesse is the man who finds Chris and helps him adjust to life as a human being.

There were some aspects of this story that were done very well. Chris' bird-like mannerisms were a great touch.
Serena Yates
This is a fascinating, touching and very interesting book that takes a look at us humans from a bird shifter’s view. The sometimes naïve questions Chris has made not only Jesse, the human man he has picked as his partner, think, but me as well. There is a lot of wisdom in these pages, as well as fun and a romance that goes beyond the physical.

Chris is a bird shifter, or a bird who becomes human, who has fallen in love with a human man and manages to overcome the obstacle of having been born in a
@dreamspinners: And just in time for dessert, we have tonight's #tweetaway. "First Flight" by Connor Wright is free for the next hr!

Ends 9pm EST 11/17/14
3.5 stars This is such a cute and sweet story. Jesse picks up an injured bird that has fallen from a tree. But the bird is replaced by Chris, a beautiful, innocent and naive young man. Jesse takes Chris home to live with him and his parents and gradually Chris learns how to get by. But Jesse's boyfriend is not pleased by the newcomer.

At first I was a little annoyed by the quick and unquestioning acceptance of Chris by Jesse and his parents. But nevertheless I was drawn in to the story and I foun
I thought there was so much to love here.
The whole concept, of a raven who became human to find something he couldn't find in the air, was just brilliant.
I love the crow family, so a book written around ravens was always going to appeal to me. Connor Wright made it feel authentic, if you can believe that!
I certainly could. The whole experience of reading was lyrical, making me feel both in and out of this world. In, because the setting is so obviously the here and now, and out, because this is
4 stars.

Unrealistic and funny. But it worked.

Jesse picks up a dead bird, then he finds a naked guy in his car. He takes home the guy and names him Chris. Chris can't speak, and doesn't have memories, so Jesse and his family just takes him in. Chris learns to speak and he even gets a job, but he still behaves odd. Well, if you know that he was a bird it does make sense, but it's still hilarious. His love for eggs and liver is so funny, and the nest thing is cute and sweet.
There is also Kevin, J
I really, really enjoyed this. I thought it was very sweet and a touch different from your typical shifter story.

I adored Chris...I loved how he was trying to woo Jesse in the way that birds would. He was just so sweet and a great character to read about. Part of me wishes that his shifting was explained more, but the way it was written gave me a sort of magical, fairy tale feeling to the story.

Definitely looking forward to reading more from this author.

it was interesting. I actually really liked the story and the writing, but I also felt like there was something missing. i feel like the lore could have been tighten up a bit instead of one random dream sequence. Some secondary character interactions were just meh. Chris was an AMAZING character. The things be did, the questions he asked. It made him a believable character. I wished more time was spent on his transitioning from bird to man, especially with simple task.
Cute premise, but really choppy and inconsistent execution make it hard to get into. Very plot driven, characters are puppet like. Chris could have been charming, but the jumping around on the timeline and frequent point of view switches make him hard to relate to as a character. Jesse just seems kind of indecisive and lacking insight.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Ok, this book is a challange for me to rate.
I liked some things about it, it wasn't your typical shifter book, it's not really a shifter story at all, the "mystical" and unclear explanation as to how Chris came to be was fine, I am glad it wasn't "over explained". I liked Chris and seeing how he still saw the world as he did in his previous form, that was a very cool aspect of the story.
I would defenilty read more by this author.
But, even if I go with the flow, that the parents have no problem
Well this was an unusual changer read. I'm not into form changing as a rule but this one had many 'sweet' elements between the two teen MCs and sucked me right in. The obsessive 'baddie' however was written a little 2-dimensionally though.
a very smart shapeshifter story. i love corvid & i loved these characters.

Connor did something that I don't come across often, he gave Chris all the little quirks & ticks of his animal.

Theodora IK
A very good story about a raven-turn-to-human and his love interest. I love everything about this story, including Chris' fascination with eggs and liver. Gosh, he's cute!
Nov 17, 2014 Joleen marked it as tr-mm
Shelves: mm
Free for an hour at DSP (till 9 p.m. ET)! 11-17-14
Read previously but never rated?
I was annyoed how accepting all were of Chris, they didn't know anything about him, he just turned up but hey no problem, whose parents would just let you bring in a complete stranger and let him stay?

The stalkerish ex-boyfriend was the next bit that got on my nerves but other than this it's a cute love story. I loved how Chris tried to win his loveinterest for himself, it was very sweet and amusing. If there weren't so many issues(I thought the stalker boyfriend was a bit too much) I would have
I liked this story. The idea of a bird becoming a human was not something I'd seen before and not in any way the typical shifter story.
Chris has an innocence about him that is so sweet and I loved how he courted Jesse with his little gifts.
There was a darker theme running through this book due to the stalking and harassment of Jesse by his ex.
Readingspree joseph
Decent is all i could say for this book. The charecters were nice enough but lacked any real depth. The metamporphoses part of the book was poorly explained leaving much to be desiered.The fights with the Ex were unconvincing and verging on childish.The book had much more potential than waht was written.
This is a fun story to read. I hope to see more like this from Connor Wright. I purchased Tobias's Own Adventure hoping it would have a similar tone.

Another story about Chris & Jesse would not go amiss; actually, I look forward to it.

Well done Connor.
Samantha rozyczko
Although this wasn't a bad book it was very simple. One of the MC was really naive but for me it was the best part of the book. It made the story some what funny. That pretty much all I can say that I liked about the story.
Maybe it's just me but I didn't like this at all. The character's maturity level was that of young children, the actions that of early teens, the story convoluted... I hate that I can't find anything good to say.
Kristy Maitz
Was interesting story or rather to say raven changing into a man was something new. What I did not like was the plot. All is circling round ex boyfriend who is crazy for Jesse. And that is all what there is.
Veronica /  V
The best of this story was reading about Chris, just adorable.
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
weird story that needed tight editing
Feb 08, 2012 dx rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: have
Heather marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Servitude
  • But Not For Me
  • Island House (Dropping Anchor #1)
  • Alliance in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #1)
  • Not As Easy As It Looks
  • Sweet Giordan, Please Remember (Hearts in Reverie #1)
  • Wrestling Demons (Brandt and Donnelly Caper, #2)
  • Frankie & Al
  • Hot Mess
  • Desires' Guardian (Desires Entwined, #2)
  • Run for the Roses (Circles #1)
  • Stranded (Stranded, #1)
  • Brown-Eyed Devil (Brown-Eyed Devil #1)
  • A Still, Small Voice
  • Patient Privilege
  • Emerald Fire (Persis Chronicles #1)
  • The Only Guy (The Guy, #2)
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
Gone to Pieces Tobias's Own Adventure I Lift Up My Eyes to the Hills Don't Read in the Closet: Volume One Skater Boys: Gay Erotic Stories