First Flight

First Flight

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Jesse Swanson’s life is pretty normal: He has a job he doesn’t mind, his parents are pretty decent, and he’s got a boyfriend. So what if he still lives at home? So what if he thinks he argues a little too often with his guy?

Everything changes when he stops to pick up a bird and ends up picking up a new guy instead. Chris, formerly known as Sings-like-water, is fascinated...more
Published November 16th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about First Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Flight

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Nov 20, 2011 ♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) marked it as dnf
Shelves: mm
DNF at 68%

First Flight is a book that, with some tighter editing, could have been great.

One thing that was obvious to me as I was reading this book was that Connor Wright has alot of potential. This story has a fresh concept and a different take on shifters. Chris is a raven who suddenly finds himself human. Jesse is the man who finds Chris and helps him adjust to life as a human being.

There were some aspects of this story that were done very well. Chris' bird-like mannerisms were a great touch....more
Serena Yates
This is a fascinating, touching and very interesting book that takes a look at us humans from a bird shifter’s view. The sometimes naïve questions Chris has made not only Jesse, the human man he has picked as his partner, think, but me as well. There is a lot of wisdom in these pages, as well as fun and a romance that goes beyond the physical.

Chris is a bird shifter, or a bird who becomes human, who has fallen in love with a human man and manages to overcome the obstacle of having been born in a...more
Arthur

This is a sweet story that deals with serious issue: stalking and harassment. It's also about a Raven shifter, but not like the usual shifter stories.

(view spoiler)...more
MandyM
3.5 stars This is such a cute and sweet story. Jesse picks up an injured bird that has fallen from a tree. But the bird is replaced by Chris, a beautiful, innocent and naive young man. Jesse takes Chris home to live with him and his parents and gradually Chris learns how to get by. But Jesse's boyfriend is not pleased by the newcomer.

At first I was a little annoyed by the quick and unquestioning acceptance of Chris by Jesse and his parents. But nevertheless I was drawn in to the story and I foun...more
Sue
I thought there was so much to love here.
The whole concept, of a raven who became human to find something he couldn't find in the air, was just brilliant.
I love the crow family, so a book written around ravens was always going to appeal to me. Connor Wright made it feel authentic, if you can believe that!
I certainly could. The whole experience of reading was lyrical, making me feel both in and out of this world. In, because the setting is so obviously the here and now, and out, because this is...more
Cayce
4 stars.

Unrealistic and funny. But it worked.

Jesse picks up a dead bird, then he finds a naked guy in his car. He takes home the guy and names him Chris. Chris can't speak, and doesn't have memories, so Jesse and his family just takes him in. Chris learns to speak and he even gets a job, but he still behaves odd. Well, if you know that he was a bird it does make sense, but it's still hilarious. His love for eggs and liver is so funny, and the nest thing is cute and sweet.
There is also Kevin, J...more
Rachel
I really, really enjoyed this. I thought it was very sweet and a touch different from your typical shifter story.

I adored Chris...I loved how he was trying to woo Jesse in the way that birds would. He was just so sweet and a great character to read about. Part of me wishes that his shifting was explained more, but the way it was written gave me a sort of magical, fairy tale feeling to the story.

Definitely looking forward to reading more from this author.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Ok, this book is a challange for me to rate.
I liked some things about it, it wasn't your typical shifter book, it's not really a shifter story at all, the "mystical" and unclear explanation as to how Chris came to be was fine, I am glad it wasn't "over explained". I liked Chris and seeing how he still saw the world as he did in his previous form, that was a very cool aspect of the story.
I would defenilty read more by this author.
But, even if I go with the flow, that the parents have no problem...more
Fehu
I was annyoed how accepting all were of Chris, they didn't know anything about him, he just turned up but hey no problem, whose parents would just let you bring in a complete stranger and let him stay?

The stalkerish ex-boyfriend was the next bit that got on my nerves but other than this it's a cute love story. I loved how Chris tried to win his loveinterest for himself, it was very sweet and amusing. If there weren't so many issues(I thought the stalker boyfriend was a bit too much) I would have...more
Readingspree joseph
Decent is all i could say for this book. The charecters were nice enough but lacked any real depth. The metamporphoses part of the book was poorly explained leaving much to be desiered.The fights with the Ex were unconvincing and verging on childish.The book had much more potential than waht was written.
Lamar54
This is a fun story to read. I hope to see more like this from Connor Wright. I purchased Tobias's Own Adventure hoping it would have a similar tone.

Another story about Chris & Jesse would not go amiss; actually, I look forward to it.

Well done Connor.
Samantha rozyczko
Although this wasn't a bad book it was very simple. One of the MC was really naive but for me it was the best part of the book. It made the story some what funny. That pretty much all I can say that I liked about the story.
Kristy Maitz
Was interesting story or rather to say raven changing into a man was something new. What I did not like was the plot. All is circling round ex boyfriend who is crazy for Jesse. And that is all what there is.
Veronica / Miss V
The best of this story was reading about Chris, just adorable.
Adrianamae
Dec 04, 2011 Adrianamae added it
Shelves: dnf
weird story that needed tight editing
dx
Feb 08, 2012 dx rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: have
3.5
Gary Jones
Gary Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Arpit Sharma
Arpit Sharma marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Deshpreet
Deshpreet marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Gosia
Gosia marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Michelle Wood
Michelle Wood marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gone to Pieces Tobias's Own Adventure Don't Read in the Closet: Volume One Skater Boys: Gay Erotic Stories Sexy Sailors: Gay Erotic Stories