Start by marking “Billow (Ondine Quartet, #2)” as Want to Read:
Billow (Ondine Quartet, #2)

Billow (Ondine Quartet #2)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,435 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
It has been six months since ondine Kendra Irisavie arrived in Haverleau, the hidden capital of the water elemental world.

Six months since she discovered her destiny as the sondaleur.

Six months since a series of devastating events left behind their mark.

Now, as she enters the chevalier elite program in her final year at Lumiere Academy, Kendra continues forward on her pro
Published July 5th 2012 by Mandorla Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Billow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billow

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasGraceling by Kristin CashoreDivergent by Veronica RothVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Young Adult Female Fighters
31st out of 349 books — 220 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingDescending by Holly KellyCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareRenatus 2 by John A.   Saunders
Best Sequels
32nd out of 221 books — 124 voters

More lists with this book...

Marie
Oct 23, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing
OMG! This book was immense definitely worth the long wait!

This book was just as good as the first and held its own! I was not disappointed one bit!

Really liked the twist with Ian- I SO did not see that coming.

I am falling hard for Julian he's always there and his power just adds to his appeal.
Tristan pissed me off at first but at the end he redeemed himself.
I'm glad she chose Leveq to go with her at the end! This should be interesting.

And above it all I hope Marcella obtains a miracle pulls
Patrycja
Nov 16, 2014 Patrycja rated it it was amazing

There is so much to love about this book.

Billow has been on my wish list for a while ever since I finished reading Whirl the first book in Ondine Quartet Series which caught my eye on Goodreads. And I am not disappointed, great work Emma ! Can't wait to read Crest.

Melanie
Review posted here
Tara
Nov 18, 2012 Tara rated it it was amazing
Review:

I enjoyed the first book in this series. It had slightly different subject matter, dealing with Water elementals, than other YA books around at the moment, and I could easily relate to the characters in my mind – which is something I feel is pretty important. However, I had a few small niggles with that one – mainly Kendra’s immaturity and attitudes, as well as the seemingly massive imbalance of power between the Ondine and the Aquidae.

This book totally blew that out of the water.

This w
BookGoddess
Jul 16, 2013 BookGoddess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. The writing has leaped and matured great strides from the first book. There's a command to Raveling's words here, and moments of such sincerity and fragility, it took my breath away. I relished the moments, though scant, between Tristan and Kendra. Their conversations are beautiful, provoking and tender.

"So maybe you're looking at it wrong. Maybe the phrase doesn't mean beautiful war."
My mind traced the contours of his features. Heard the music he gave me, the words he'd said
 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Vanshika Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
The book is amazing . So amazing that I stalk the author's site everyday hoping that crest will be out earlier!
Jasmine
Sep 26, 2014 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Billow is a wonderful sequel to Whirl. Stakes are raised and everything changes in this novel.

Kendra begins to realize the weight she actually carries and how much sway she has on the future of not only her friends and loved ones but also for her entire race and community. We get more hints of how her destiny fits in with the more powerful beings that oversea this world. It is fascinating to see how she reacts to each of these realizations and highlights her strength, spirit, and stubbornness.

A
Litonya
Jul 25, 2012 Litonya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-reads
I'll review this soon, as a quick
Summary I love this story and took my time reading it. I wish there was more Tristan and that we got more than we did the last book.. So I have high hopes for them in book three and man Julian really did come in at a close second, theres more to him than we know still.

-------Billow by Emma Raveling, book two was full of action and more importantly growth for Kendra. There was a little romance as well. Book two picks up six months later and her mothers and Ryder'
Evelyn Amaro
Jul 19, 2012 Evelyn Amaro rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every UF & PNR Fan. Especially for Vampire Academy Lovers
Read my full review on: Paromantasy

Billow in one sentence: An action-packed, emotional rollercoaster ride of a read that will grip you from the very beginning and leave you begging for more.

It is official – this is one of my favorite urban fantasy series of all-time. When I say it is unputdownable - I mean it and the bags under my eyes can prove it. This installment of the Ondine Quartet series took everything I loved from Whirl and amplified it. It has been six months since the last time we saw
Aeicha
Jul 19, 2012 Aeicha rated it it was amazing
Whirl (Ondine Quartet #1), with its wonderful world-building, engaging characters and superb storytelling, was one of my favorite reads last year, so I was super excited to dive into the sequel, Billow. And I’m happy to report that the sequel does not disappoint in any way.

Picking up six months after the end of the first book, Billow finds Kendra struggling to understand the role she must play as sondaleur, while dealing with the emotional and mental trauma of the devastating events in Whirl. Ke
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
I dived into Billow as soon as I finished Whirl because, well after that ending who wouldn't? I was dying to know what would happen next to Kendra and the gang and of course, I was hoping and praying for more Tristan time.....sigh....I do love him!

Anyway, author Emma Raveling did a fantastic job with this fantastic sequel. In Billow we see the strong and independent Kendra struggle. After the loss of a friend, she's mourning but to everyone else, she's trying to keep her head above water. She t
Dec 20, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythical
Once again I was swept away with the world Raveling has built for her characters. Kendra has grown up some since the last book and then again displays the trauma she has faced in some not so healthy ways. Along the ride are what remains of her core group of elemental friends. The sexy and roguish Julian is back to stir up trouble and of course, we can't forget the perfect and almost godlike Tristan waiting in the background. So many events take place in this novel that I was not expecting, some ...more
katnissbraid.
Mar 20, 2013 katnissbraid. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-on-diavs

oh. c'mon.
i can't read this yet.
but oh baby, i need you.
(why do i act like a stupid fangirl with some books?. crap).

25.08.2012
4.5
Okay, Kendra is a little bit stupid and sometimes annoying (you know? the whole "i'm a sandaleur and my life is nothing but i have to sacrifice myself" "i'm guilty for ryder's death, my mother's death, tristan's horrible life, julian's pain, and blah blah blah") but i have a guilty (but not so much) pleasure for these books.
Heather
Oct 15, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
I liked this one waaaay better than the first one! It was much more action-packed and conflicts were engaging. I liked the characters more in this one, and I loved seeing more unfold over all of them. This one definitely hooked me to the series!
Dana
Jul 29, 2012 Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tba-2012
Kendra has been training to enter the elite chèvrelier. Tristan has been gone to the selkie kimgdom. She has also gotten fair at fending off her trainer Julian who annoyingly growing on her while showing a side of himself she's not comfortable with dealing with.

Her friends play a huge role in a lot of her realizations in this installment and although he get a couple of "Ahh" moments there is a lot of fighting, sneaking around and learning that value does not equal worth.

The ending will leave you
Lizzy
Jul 27, 2014 Lizzy rated it it was amazing
4.5!! A great sequel! Didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first one because the love triangle got uncomfortable in spots and the ending annoyed me a bit. And the heroine spent 99% of the book being ANGRY, so it was hard being in her head no matter how understandable it was. And Kendra & Tristan hardly got any time together, which also dampened my enjoyment of the book :( I spent the first half being a bit annoyed with him, and the second half getting a bit annoyed at her. LOL, but honestly! ...more
Crystal Wright
May 14, 2014 Crystal Wright rated it it was amazing
Billow the second installment in the Ondine Quartet returns with Kendra six months into her new life in Haverleau. Kendra is not the same person she was, and has grown with both her Virtue and within her new role as a Chevalier trainee. Struggling to maintain control of her new strength as well as working to get through her own wall created through a lifetime of pain. She battles the shadow, has accepted the prophecy and is struggling to fulfill her role and maintain her friendships. Fear is the ...more
Lotte
May 04, 2014 Lotte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, favorites, fantasy
Wah, I feel like too many people hammered on "Whirl" being too much like "Vampire Academy", but they're obviously not realizing how much they're missing now. The story has really taken its own different course now, effectively distancing itself from too many resemblances with the VA series.

I just can't get over how fractured Kendra is and how difficult her life is. I'm really loving Raveling's writing and the intimate detailing of Kendra's thoughts. Her character is really growing, showing the f
Chantelle
Apr 13, 2014 Chantelle rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome!! I was worried Billow would not be as good as Whirl, but I was proved wrong. It was exciting, tense and left me at the edge of my seat the whole way through, definitely worth 5 stars.
I loved the development of Kendra's character, throughout she was trying to find herself and we got a real insight into what type of character she is.
Tristan and Julian were ass kicking as usual, I loved their relationships and little chats with Kendra, that was one of the things I couldn't
Jasmine
Sep 03, 2015 Jasmine rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book annoyyeddd me. Okay, maybe not the book. Kendra annoyed me. Now this chick has a lot to deal with. She's the great sondelaur and she's not exactly sure what that means or how to be the savior everyone expects her to be. On top of that, she's dealing with the guilt she feels from Ryder's death and knowing that her loved ones will always be targeted because of who she is. So she shuts people out and runs around almost getting herself killed because she thinks her life doesn't matter sinc ...more
Shanna Weaver
Feb 12, 2014 Shanna Weaver rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a really good book in a while like Half-Blood series or Vampire Academy Series or (Heartbeats Over Time) The LUX Series, But the Ondine Series is one of the few series to make it on my "I Read Every Last Word and Fell Hopelessly in Love" book list.

First off Kendra is a BadA$$. Yea she complains about certain things but Hell with all the crap that keeps coming her way she deserves to have a Bit** moment every now and then. But she is a friggin awesome character!!

Tristan....OMGGGG
Tricia
Billow was a great follow up to Crest. Kendra is starting to learn what being the sondaleur truly means, piece by brutal piece. She's also realizing that she isn't walking the lonely path she always has anymore. Somehow people have wormed their way into her life, and her heart, even though she tried to fight it. I'm not sure what was the larger struggle for Kendra here, navigating her way through the hardships of the responsibilities and being the sondaleur or figuring out how to deal with havi ...more
Leah
Jul 28, 2012 Leah rated it it was amazing
Kendra Irisavie is now my favorite heroine in YA.

Fantastic characters and world building. And the depth of Kendra's experiences in this book left me pretty moved when I finished. Definitely something I don't experience so often with YA. Great series!
Halyna
Nov 20, 2012 Halyna rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANT INSTALLMENT IN THE SERIES! It was darker, angstier than the first book, the plot was even more intricate and exciting. I absolutely loved Julian! Can't wait the next book! The series is a must-read!!!
Megan
Jul 07, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Even better than Whirl. (which was not an easy task) Great story and loved the insight on all the characters!! I couldnt put it down! Cant wait for the next one.
Heather
Feb 04, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! I could not read it fast enough! I'm so torn between Tristan and Julian! I wish Crest was out already!
Doralee
Jul 10, 2012 Doralee rated it it was amazing
Loved it, happy to see the second book is just as good if not better than the first! Im patiently waiting for the Third book.
Tiffany
Still loving this series. I just wish she would join team Julian! Although the Prince is a good adversary!
Lara
Jul 23, 2012 Lara rated it it was amazing
Exciting, beautiful, and sooo much character depth. LOVED it!!
Samantha
Jun 20, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Billow is the second installment to Whirl (Ondine Quartet).

It picks up a little while after the first. We follow Kendra who is struggling to find her place and come to terms with where Whirl ended.

She most definitely is not perfect and her traits are both admirable as well as headbashingly frustrating. More of the elemental magic takes a front and we get sucked in to another side of the Ondine world of politics and family, loss and grieve. At this stage I am also a massive fan of Julian, even th
  • The Rise (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #3)
  • Endure (The Protector, #4)
  • Everlost (Night Watchmen, #3)
  • Awaken (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • Fallenmore (Feathermore, #2)
  • The Secret Trinity: Reign (Fae-Witch, #3)
  • Oathbreaker (The Godhunter, #3)
  • Demons in Disguise (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #3)
  • The Barrier Between (Collector #2)
  • Elemental Rising (Paranormal Public, #2)
  • Something to Curse About (Discord Jones #2)
  • Avow (The Archers of Avalon, #3)
  • Even in Death (The Starborn Uprising, #3)
  • Refuge (Relentless #2)
Emma Raveling resides in Honolulu with her husband and German shepherd.
More about Emma Raveling...

Ondine Quartet (4 books)
  • Whirl (Ondine Quartet, #1)
  • Crest (Ondine Quartet, #3)
  • Breaker (Ondine Quartet, #4)

“The choice is not in what you do. The choice is in the why.” 33 likes