Start by marking “Song of the Brokenhearted” as Want to Read:
Song of the Brokenhearted

Song of the Brokenhearted

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Ava has a loving family, a beautiful house, and a solid faith. Suddenly, her ideal life will be completely broken . . . in the best of ways.

Ava's life is full of great things. Her daughter is getting married to just the right guy, her husband's company has kept them financially successful for years, her son is thriving as a high-school football player, and the ministry she
Published August 21st 2012 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Song of the Brokenhearted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of the Brokenhearted

Jodie
Ava has managed to leave her unstable childhood behind her, completely. She has taken great strides to become nothing like them and improve every aspect of her life. Ava is helping her daughter plan her wedding, her son is a star on his high school football team, and her husband works night and day to provide everything for his family. Ava also helps her church's "Broken Hearts" club which provides comfort, shelter, food, or whatever is needed to families dealing with family tragedies. Things co ...more
Tonya
Yes, to anything by Sheila Walsh! I grew up listening to her tapes over and over, and over! So as an adult, a book. Yes yes yes!!!

This book could speak to each woman, I hope everyone passes it on. We all have broken hearts. Will we be moldable? Ava has it all, or so it seems. She helps those WITH broken hearts, but still has a safe life.

But God doesn't want us to stay in the shadows or safety. We can grow when we allow ourselves to be broken and moldable, as Ava will learn. I love what I read on
Jodi
Loraine
Ava has it all - a comfortable life, two wonderful kids, a husband with a great job until one day it all falls apart. In her brokenness, Ava finds what she has really been looking for all of her life as well as the relationship with her dad and her heavenly Father that she had been missing all along.

I liked the storyline and the characters in this novel very much. It really points out what Jesus said that we must lose our life to really gain life eternal.
Clarissa
Song of the Brokenhearted is about Ava and her well put together life. She has her ministry with the church that occupies what little time that isn't taken up with her family. She's planning the wedding of her daughter, dealing with the increasing work load her husband seems to have and the new football season for her son. Then like the click of a light switch her well constructed life seems to fall apart. She's constantly brought out of the present with reminders of a past she'd like to forget. ...more
Marianne
This novel comes at a time when lives are being crushed by the recession, uncertainities in the world around us from natural causes such as earthquakes and hurricanes and broken families and lives, bringing a ray of bright sunshine to an otherwise dark world. Although my family is not dysfunctional no family is perfect, and even though we may be grounded in our faith, I don not believe that any one of us can say we have never had a difference of opinion with someone in the congregation.
As I read
Katrina Burchett
Ava has a good family life, she teaches Bible study and she’s part of a ministry that helps hurting people. Because of her childhood, Ava has lived most of her days preparing for bad news. When her life begins to fall apart will her faith in God waver or grow stronger? And will she be able to do the one difficult thing she believes God wants her to do?

I really need to start with this: Ava had some EVIL family members – they were judgmental, condemning, legalistic, confused, controlling people wh
Ellen
Ava has risen above the poverty of her youth and her dysfunctional family. Now, in her late 40's, she has a wonderful family, a picture-perfect home, and a few secrets in her closet. In Song of the Brokenhearted by Sheila Walsh and Cindy Martinusen Coloma, Ava enjoys a life filled with high school football games, her daughter's upcoming wedding, and a ministry to people in crisis - those with broken hearts.

She is terrific stepping in and helping people in need, but what happens when Ava is the p
Belindachaplin
After taking months to read through my last booksneeze book 360 Leadership, it took me all of 2 days to read the next one! After reading Sweet Sanctuary in May, I know that I will love any of Sheila Walsh and Cindy Martinusen Coloma's books so when I saw this was up for review, I grabbed it!

Ava is a typical American mom, living in Texas, with a successful businessman husband who completely shelters her from anything to do with the business. With a daughter about to get married, and a son who's
Erin
Song of the Brokenhearted by Sheila Walsh and Cindy Martinusen Coloma is the story of living the faith when everything in life seems to fall apart. Ava in her late forties is married to a wonderful man and has two wonderful children. Her daughter is getting married to a great guy. Her son is a fantastic football player. Her husband has a strong profitable company. As Ava’s world starts to crumble she has to determine if her faith is a fair-weather faith or the kind that will stand through fear a ...more
Violet
Ava has come a long way from her hurtful childhood in Sheila Walsh and Cindy Coloma’s latest book Song of the Brokenhearted. Now the perfect image of someone who has it all together, Ava runs the Broken Hearts Ministry out of her Dallas church with compassion and smooth efficiency.

But no sooner are we clued in to her student daughter Sienna’s impending wedding, her high school son Jason’s prowess at football, and husband Dane’s successful business when things begin to fall apart in an almost Job
Stephanie Ziegler
Feb 16, 2013 Stephanie Ziegler rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephanie by: BookSneeze
This is a very easy and tidy read. Sometimes I wonder if I grew up in a different generation than these authors or maybe they are trying to change behavior patterns because the parent's reactions to their kid's misdoings are lack. Maybe, through church, trust is easy to have. If my parents ever found out I smoked weed in high school (and I am pleading the 5th on that topic), they would have kicked my ass. I wish I were the daughter of Ava Kent.

The weeping willow tree was the perfect analogy to A
JoyAnne
Ava has a great family, a caring ministry to those who are hurting. Then her life starts to fall apart. She is guilty of giving things other than God first place in her life. The story is about getting off track and God bringing her back.

A wonderful tale of a woman's journey through those things life can throw at us. We follow her through the depths of despair, experience heartache, and temptaion. The authors have tackled some tough issues and did a beautiful job!

Well written, good characters,
Clara Roberts
Shelia Walsh is a better writter of ficion than non-fiction. This is the story of a woman from a dysfunctional family who marries well and creates a pleasnt life. She leads a ministy that cares for others that are brokenhearted because of tragedy in their lives. In the mist of her ministry to others her own life is falling apart.
Kathy
4.5 stars. A powerful and heartfelt novel that I highly recommend to anyone who has ever faced difficult times. To read my review in its entirety, please click HERE.
Pat
In this world you will have trouble--Jesus said it and it is oh so true for Ava and her family. Trouble is something that never leaves us alone. How to cope? Prayer and listening to God.
Susan
This has restored my faith in Christian fiction - I'd about given up!
Quick, easy read - I got into the story quickly and it was hard to put down.
Stephanie
An excellent read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. God does heal broken hearts!
Diane
Jan 23, 2013 Diane added it
Great book, the writing style was excellent...story was compelling.
Pamela Leinenweaver
Wonderful story must read
PWRL
Apr 18, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Rachel.Trinity
Rachel.Trinity marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Kathy Smith
Kathy Smith is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2015
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Christian Fiction...: Main Group Read for October 9 45 Oct 31, 2012 03:56AM
  • Another Dawn
  • Desert Gift
  • The Shadow of Your Smile (Deep Haven, #5)
  • The Choice
  • Gone South
  • Need You Now
  • Two Testaments (Secrets of the Cross Trilogy #2)
  • Reunion
  • The Scroll: A Novel
  • An Amish Gift: A Novel
  • Home to Chicory Lane (Chicory Inn #1)
  • House of Mercy
  • Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God
  • Burning Sky
  • Faithful
  • Material Witness (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #3)
  • Heart of the Country
  • Through Rushing Water

Sheila Walsh (05-07-1956) is a powerful communicator, Bible teacher, and best-selling author with more than 4 million books sold. A featured speaker with Women of Faith, Sheila has reached more than 3.5 million women by artistically combining honesty, vulnerability, and humor with God's Word.

Author of the best-s
More about Sheila Walsh...
Angel Song Beautiful Things Happen When A Woman Trusts God The Shelter of God's Promises Sweet Sanctuary Get Off Your Knees & Pray: A Woman's Guide to Life-Changing Prayer