Start by marking “Lifted Up” as Want to Read:
Lifted Up

Lifted Up

A powerful and moving novel set at the time of Christ
Published January 1st 2003 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Lifted Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifted Up

Mary
Nov 21, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I really didn't expect to like this book. The author has only written two other novels,and he's not a writer by profession. Sometimes new authors can be wordy, but the writing was crisp. He said what needed to be said and nothing more. I also don't care for action stories, but this one drew me in and never was boring. Further more, the opening scene, the murder of the boys under 2 during Herod's reign, prepared me to be depressed.

Galli is a divorce mediator and drew on his knowledge of emotions
Alex
Aug 07, 2009 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-gull
i first have to say that i struggled with this book a little bit. it just seemed to drag a bit at the beginning and then it continued to drag for the next 100 pages. but once i got past the halfway mark i couldn't wait to finish it. i love stories like this one. just, WOW! it takes place during the time of jesus christs' crucifiction and tells the story of simon; he being the one who carried christs' cross when christ could no longer carry it on his own. the last 40 pages were freakn' ...more
Virginia
Mar 01, 2009 Virginia rated it really liked it
Simon is a Jewish Zealot living in the time of Jesus. His passionate hatred of the Romans drives him away from his family as he seeks to destroy them in any way he can. His goal is to find the Roman centurian who killed his infant son, and the hatred consumes him. But love draws him back to Jerusalem.

This novel transported me back into Biblical times with so many great details of the setting and the time period. I loved the way the author neatly inserted this fictional character into the well-kn
Rich Lebaron
Jul 01, 2008 Rich Lebaron rated it it was amazing
A Great book, about a new father who tries to save his son from Herods decree to have all the male infants under the age of two killed, and his subsequent enslavment for wounding one of the soldiers. He eventually becomes the leader of the Zealot movement and loses his wife and children because he can't deal with his hatred for rome. Simon’s journey from bitterness and hate to understanding and forgiveness is very well depicted, and allows the reader to empathize with the main character and all ...more
Jana
Feb 18, 2015 Jana rated it really liked it

Teanne
Aug 24, 2009 Teanne rated it it was amazing
This was an inspiring book set in the Roman times when Jesus Christ lived. I loved getting into the real mind set of biblical times, like I was living there. The end was amazing! The main character had been living a life of pain and hatred and at the end his hard heart is softened and his life is changed because he learns of Christ and His atonement. Powerful! I recommend it to all.
* Just a warning- the first half is a little slow, but it is definetly worth the read!
Susan
Apr 07, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Easter was the best time to read this novel. The back story about Simon from the birth of Christ to his crucifixion was very interesting. It transported me to a time that one can only imagine--living under Roman law. I really liked the intermingling of Simon's life with Jesus at his trial and ultimately bearing the cross up to Golgotha. Simon's change of heart and healing as a result of this meeting, and reuniting with his family is the highlight to this very timely story.
Camden
Apr 11, 2008 Camden rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I would like this book and the beginning was definately slow. But it turned out to be written really well and to portray an era that is fascinating to me--the atmosphere around Jeruselem at the time of Christ's crucifixion. I'm fascinated by the inner turmoil of that time and what must have really been going on for all of those events to take place. This man's suggestions are fascinating and moving. I highly recommend it.
Kilee
Sep 11, 2011 Kilee rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the best Christian/LDS novels I have ever read. First off, the editing is fabulous and i didn't notice a single error which is tough to say about most books let alone religious novels. The story pulls at your heart struts and ties together many biblical stories into a connected story. Guy Galli made those stories of Christ's life even more special
Andrea Fife
Jun 30, 2011 Andrea Fife rated it it was amazing
This book is a great example of historical fiction at its best, with characters whose personal struggles give support and depth to the historical account of Christ's death. I had kind of hoped to see the days following the crucifixion through the perspective of the book, but I was satisfied with the ending as it was. This story of forgiveness was both beautiful and testimony-building.
Tristi
Jun 29, 2008 Tristi rated it it was amazing
This book should be on every Christian's shelf. Amazing historical fiction look into the crucifixion and Simon, who bore the cross. While written for the LDS market, there's nothing in it that would keep it from being enjoyed by all Christians.
Stefie
Jul 22, 2008 Stefie rated it it was amazing
This book as a crazy twist in the end, and somewhat frustrating how those darn natural consequences make your life so crappy.
Madonna
Mar 21, 2015 Madonna rated it it was amazing
I liked this story of a man whose heart of anger was truly changed through Christ. Also, I liked the surprise ending.
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2008
Julane
Julane rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
Albladen
Albladen rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Jen-audiobooks
Jen-audiobooks rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Kjerstin
Kjerstin rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2012
Bobi
Bobi rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Autumn
Autumn rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2009
Sarah rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Nicole
Jul 27, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Introspective and interesting. It taught of Christ and forgiveness.
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Kathy C
Kathy C rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Lindsey Sanders
Lindsey Sanders rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2011