Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)

Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove #1.5)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  3,035 ratings  ·  333 reviews
Some wallflowers bloom at night...

Published November 15th 2011 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Winter's Eve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Winter's Eve

Laura the Highland Hussy

Violet Winterbottom had her heart shattered. Above and beyond broken. Like that scene from Sex and the City where Carrie was broken up with via Post It note. Yeah, that bad.

So Violet does something not too many heroines in Historicals do-She grows up. She gets over him. She moves away to Spindle Cove, and realizes that she doesn't need a man to be happy.

Then a dangerous, bloody, bedraggled stranger falls at her feet (literally) and passes out. But the one...more
Jill

In a setting much like this one, almost a year ago. A man she'd adored for years had finally noticed her. Locked gazes with her across a crowded room, then carved his way through the throng to take her hand.

But in the end, he had proved to be a disappointment.

The Disappointment

Violet Winterbottom is clever, pretty but no beauty. She had loved her neighbour, Lord Christian Pierce, for years and finally he'd noticed her. But then with barely a word he'd left. Well, twenty-six words in a note to be...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

I'm keeping this review short and sweet, just like the book - Spindle Cove is a wonderful series, and this book is an absolute delight! Romantic, steamy, exciting and witty, a truly entertaining story!
willaful
3.5 stars. A truly indomitable heroine is the highlight of this sweetly romantic novella. Violet Winterbottom is a determined wallflower, after a Disappointment broke her heart. But then a wounded, foreign stranger -- or is he? -- bursts into a ball and collapses at her feet, beginning an adventure that will test her mettle and bring her back to life. The story loses some of its edge after the mystery of the stranger's appearance is solved and the style is generally frothy, but Violet's strength...more
Shawna
Nov 20, 2011 Shawna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of historical holiday romances
Shelves: historical-romance, historical-romance-regency, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, hh-smart-intellectual-brainy-geek, tessa-dare, holiday-theme, kindle, e-book, anthologies-novellas-shorts, 2011-reads, 4-stars, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, childhood-ties-friends-sweethearts, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, friends-to-lovers, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-black-sheep, hero-brooding, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, hero-fake-rake-assumed-libertine, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, heroine-bad-reputation-fallen, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, heroine-girl-next-door, heroine-i-adore, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, i-read-kindle, masquerade-hide-your-face-identity, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, steam-3-hot, star-crossed-lovers, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, unrequited-love-crush, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, heroine-plain-jane-ugly-duckling, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, hero-authentic-uber-rake, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-good-groveling-eating-crow, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, hr-regency-napoleonic-era-wars, favorite-romance-series
4 stars – Historical/Holiday Novella

This is a delightfully engaging and romantic historical holiday novella with a great story, intriguing characters, and the perfect amount of steam to warm you up on a cold winter’s night. And for only .79 cents on Kindle, it’s a cozy read indeed.
Ruth
This was the first one of the Spindle Cove series that I've read, and although it was an OK read, I'm not sure I could take a full-length HR in this setting. Apparently, there's a whole load of women who've "escaped" to the middle-of-nowhere Cornwall to get away from men, but who then each find love - with a man. I don't know. this sounds slightly weird to me, and not particularly exciting. I've read a few books by Tessa Dare, and some I really, really liked, and others didn't really do much for...more
edzkie♥§*.*§♥
“I did hate you... But forget? How could I ever forget?” You broke my heart into twenty-six pieces that day. But do you know something, Christian? Over the past several months here in Spindle Cove, I’ve stitched those pieces back together.”

The Disappointment.

Lord Christian Pierce was named as "The Disappointment" after he broke Violet Winterbottom's heart. She went to Spindle Cove to heal. Considered herself as a wallflower she was shocked when a man crashes the officers' ball and cling to her....more
Alexa
Review posted on Alexa Loves Books

Oh Tessa Dare, you have a gift for telling stories. I have yet to finish reading my way through all of your novels, but I squeezed in this little novella recently and it has become my absolute favorite story from you as of the moment. I mean, combining a quiet wallflower with a special talent and a mysterious, injured stranger? That alone is intriguing enough a premise for any fan of historical romances.

And the story took my breath away. As the story of our myst...more
Originally posted on my blog: http://feministfairytalereviews.blogs...

Once Upon a Winter's Eve is a historical romance novella that is part of Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series. Spindle Cove is a small seaside village along the English Channel that has become a haven for young ladies with "problems". These issues range from illness to impending spinsterhood to scandal. The village is a place for these ladies to have a peaceful existence without the demands of society.

Violet Winterbottom is one...more
Among The Muses
Rated 4.5 on the blog.

Another fabulous edition to the Spindle Cove series!! Have no fear if you haven't read the first one yet; but, beware, you'll want to after reading this novella! The short Christmas theme story is a fabulous addition to this series!

Once Upon a Winter's Eve is a great introduction for those who have not yet read, A Night to Surrender (book #1), but want to get a taste for Tessa Dare's fantastic writing style, setting, and character dynamics. This novella can be read as a st...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

I've been checking out this series for a while so when I saw this Christmas read for only $0.79 on Kindle I had to jump on it. I've never read this author either so it was the perfect sampler. Now I can't wait to read more.

This historical has some spunk. Violet is no wilting flower. She was in love with her neighbor, Christian, her whole life. Then one night he finally notices her and takes her virginity, only to leave town the next day. From then on, he...more
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
Still not fully over this:
“During fair weather seasons, we have a schedule here in Spindle Cove. Mondays, we have country walks. Tuesdays, sea bathing. We spend Wednesdays in the garden. And on Thursdays”—she jammed a lead ball into the barrel—”we shoot.”

Irena
3.5
This is a wonderful Christmas story. With a bite. If you expect some wallflower mopping, then you'll be disappointed. While Violet might be a shy young woman hiding in the corners of ballrooms thinking how "certain commodities ran scarce" (especially corners because it seems every woman who comes to Spindle Cove wants one for herself), she did spend quite some time in Spindle Cove. She is not the same person she was when she first came, heartbroken and hiding a secret.

The story is about "......more
Beanbag Love
This is a novella that takes place between books 1 and 2 of the Spindle Cove series. It's fine. As usual, novellas are fairly superficial. This one might have had a decent premise for a full story, so it does feel like it's a rush, rush, rush to the end. I actually would have liked to go a little more in depth. Perhaps the couple will have another installment, since it seems their adventure isn't quite over just because their romance is resolved.

Chumchum_88
Another great story from Tessa Dare, I'm starting to turn in to a fan of hers, it's always great to find new authors XD

This novella wasn't the cute adorable type, it was more an exciting adventure kind of story, well considering all what they have done in just one night, that is differently something.

First thing I loved the heroine in this book, as usual the corner wallflower he's the guy, but the catch this time the guy comes for her. Violet showed us how strong a women could be, how cunning,...more
Nina
Just when I thought HR was a thing of the past for me, there goes Tessa Dare once again.
I read my first book of hers two years ago and I loved it so much I told myself I'd tackle her whole backlist stat, and then promptly forgot about it. *pats self on the back* Good job, girl.
Well, I'll make good on my resolution now. I can't not.

Once Upon a Winter's Eve is smoothly written, atmospheric, and emotional but never overdramatic, with sensible, fierce, passionate characters that I fell in love with...more
SheLove2Read
Definitely worth the 79 cents I paid for this novella! I loved the heroine and how she transformed from regretful spinster to vibrant debutante at the end, and I was excited to see where life was leading her. I only wish the hero had groveled a bit more for his behavior. Lovely HEA. 4 stars
Sophia (FV)
Violet Winterbottom came to Spindlecove after she was abandoned by a man with whom she’d been in love with. He left her abruptly after she’d given herself to him. Now, she only refers to him as “The Disappointment.” Living at Spindle Cove she is considered a wallflower. One evening, during an officers ball, a beaten and bloodied stranger bursts in falls at her feet. Even more suspicious, the language he speaks is unknown but Violet is fluent in many languages and so she steps up as the interpret...more
Kati (Romancing Rakes For The Love of Romance)
***original review posted at Romancing Rakes***

***contains spoilers, read at your own risk***

You know, I've got stop taking peeks at some of these books I've been getting until I'm done reading older review books. But who am I to resist the temptation of a Tessa Dare story? Obviously, I keep coming back for more, like that poor girl, Violet Winterbottom. I don't know when to quit and I'm glad I didn't. My self restraint is as good as Lord Christian Pierce's, barely non-existent. At least when it...more
Heather
I love to read romances, and I am an avid reader of romances. I have about 500 titles on my kindle, plus another 200 of physical books in my room. It's one of the genres I am most likely to check out from the library - over my "career" I've probably read close to 3000 romances - easy.

All of this is to say, that when it comes to romances - I'm picky. I want to read a book that is: well-written, with interesting characters and well developed personalities, quirks and preferences for at least the m...more
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"Even as a girl, I found it in my heart to wait. I waited all those years you never noticed me. And that was then you were an undeserving, callow youth. We're grown now, and both much improved in character. I can find it in my heart to do a great deal more than wait. O can find it in my heart to lie for you, steal for you, take your secrets to my grave."

Violet Winterbottom had her heart broken by her one true love years ago and ever since then hasn't been the same. Even spending her days in Spin...more
Anna
My first Tessa Dare read and I will be reading more for sure.

This was a great story about a girl who had been loved for an evening by her long-time crush, her next door neighbor. He disappeared the very next day after their tryst and she has not seen him for almost a year.

Then he shows up in Spindle Cove, at a ball, covered in mud and blood and babbling about being a French peasant.

How she comes to recognize and then reconcile with him is the fun of the story.

Thanks for a delicious little read...more
Kelly22
4.00 Stars - Regency/Historical Novella

This one is an exciting little historical novella with a strong admirable heroine and a somewhat brooding yet charming hero playing protagonists in a dynamic engaging plot full of witty banters, lovable romance, and an array of interesting characters with a perfect blend of humor to fill up the complete equation. All in all, it summarizes to a sweet romance experience that will leave a smile on your face as a residue after finishing!
Charlotte Featherstone
So damn good! So good, made me move the first Spindle Cove book up into my reading pile. Jumping into this morning!
Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections
A short refreshing, completely enjoyable historical romance novella. I love it!
Riddhi
5 stars!

The most recent Tessa Dare that I read was Romancing the Duke, and I'll be honest, I was disappointed. Reading this novella, however, reminded me of all the reasons why I loved Ms. Dare.

In a little more than ten pages in, I was already in love with the characters and their story. I know the plot was very far-fetched, but than again, what espionage plot isn't. I definitely read this in leisure and relaxation which made me love it all the more.

Christian came off as a sexy 18th century Jam

Angie
Synopsis: "Violet Winterbottom is a quiet girl. She speaks six languages, but seldom raises her voice. She endured bitter heartbreak in perfect silence. The gentlemen aren't beating down her door.

Until the night of the Spindle Cove Christmas ball, when a mysterious stranger crashes into the ballroom and collapses at Violet's feet. His coarse attire and near-criminal good looks would put any sensible young lady on her guard. He's wet, chilled, bleeding, and speaking in an unfamiliar tongue.

Only
Gaby
Posted at Oh My Books!

I loved A Night to Surrender, so when I discovered there was a Christmas novella from the Spindle Cove series, I couldn't wait to read it.

It doesn't matter if you haven't read the first book, but of course you will enjoy it better if you do. This time it's the story of Violet Winterbottom. She's very quiet and reserved, and prefer to suffer her heartbreak alone...until the day a stranger comes looking for her at the Christmas ball.

He's hurt, weak and chilled, and apparently...more
Nisha
I believe this is classified as a novella, so first of all, be prepared that it's a short story. Considering the shortness, I think Ms. Dare manages to develop a rekindled relationship quite well.

Violet Winterbottom is not really the average "spinster" at Spindle Cove. In fact, her reasons for coming to the Cove is more of a self-exile after losing her virginity to her first love and next door neighbor who disappears soon after they tryst with just a note. No one else knows her secret, though,...more
Q&A with Tess...: Once Upon A Winter's Eve Discussion Thread 1 19 Aug 28, 2012 01:46AM
  • Winning the Wallflower (Fairy Tales, #2.5)
  • What Happened at Midnight
  • Your Wicked Heart (Rules for the Reckless, #0.5)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • Lord of Temptation (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2)
  • The Way to a Duke's Heart (The Truth About the Duke, #3)
  • A Mackenzie Family Christmas: The Perfect Gift (Highland Pleasures, #4.5)
  • Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3)
  • The Ice Princess (Princes Trilogy, #3.5)
  • Three Schemes and a Scandal (The Writing Girls, #3.5)
Note: Tessa has a Goodreads group! All readers welcome.

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of ten historical romance novels and four novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award and multiple RT Book Reviews Reviewer’s Choice Awards. Booklist magazine named her one of the “new stars of historical romanc...more
More about Tessa Dare...
A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2) A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1) One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1) A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3) Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)

“Language was a vast, complicated tapestry. The key to communication was finding a common thread.” 7 likes
“His thumb caressed her cheek. His eyes held her, warm and strong. “I, Christian James, take you, Violet Mary, to be my wife. To have, to hold. To love, honor, and cherish. To amuse, to pleasure, to make smile and laugh. To dance with, at every opportunity. To respect always, and tease on occasion. To confide in, whenever need be. To treasure, protect, admire—” She couldn’t help but give a nervous laugh. “I don’t think these words are in the vows.” “They’re in my vows,” he said gravely. “But in the interests of time, I shall to return to form. All that richer-poorer, sickness-health business goes without saying. And I will gladly forsake all others, so long as we both shall live.” His hand slid back into her hair, grasping tight. Raw emotion roughened his voice. “I need a lifetime with you.” 4 likes