Start by marking “Dolphin Girl” as Want to Read:
Dolphin Girl

Read Book

Dolphin Girl

Jane Wants The Life Of A Dolphin.
Wild. Graceful. Free.

But these days her life is nothing like that. Between her mother’s strict rules and the cliques at school, she feels strapped in a child-sized life vest. It’s not until Jane gets a tattoo and befriends popular Sam Rojas, a star on the school’s swim team, that her life feels freer. She begins to wonder: Is there a way
Published October 26th 2011 by Something Else Publishing (first published October 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dolphin Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dolphin Girl

Cassie
Dec 04, 2011 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Stop what you’re doing and go jump in your time machine…set it to “High School” and gun it to 88! Dolphin Girl will make you remember exactly what it was like to be a teenager again and be completely relatable if you still are. I had originally saved this book to my Nook to take on a plane ride with me, and I’m glad I did because it was a delightfully fabulous read and helped past what would have been a very boring plane ride.

Jane is everything her mother is not: unorganized, artistic, young, fr
AvidReader47
Nov 04, 2011 AvidReader47 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dolphin Girl by Shel Delisle is a wonderful modern coming of age story. We follow Jane navigating through life as a sixteen year old. Mom's rules, high school clicks, young love. Since Jane was five years old, she has loved dolphins and wanted to live life carefree. She befriends and falls in love with Sam Rojas who is from the trophy case click or pod as Jane calls them. She thinks that he is out of her league when he starts dating one of the popular girls. He befriends her anyway and calls her ...more
Amy
Oct 15, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-on-nook
What originally drew me to this book was the cover art featuring a girl with a dolphin tattoo. I was in serious need of a light hearted, feel good read and Dolphin Girl did not disappoint.

MC Jane was a breath of fresh air. She's quirky, artistic and obsessed with Dolphins, going as far as believing she was a dolphin in a past life. She's also part of the water fountain pod, one of the many cliques at her school. She doesn't mind being middle class of the social hierarchy that is high school, th
Books
Feb 18, 2013 Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2013
I won this book in a giveaway, so I’ve had it on my TBR list for quite some time. It took me a few days to finish, but I really enjoyed it. It doesn’t follow the usual YA formula where girl instantly falls in love with boy and the rest of the book they try to get ino each other’s pants. No, this was, thank goodness, very different. Also, I’m not very big on teenage angst and drama, but the author wrote these two elements into the story really well without it making me feel like pulling out my ha ...more
Andrea
Nov 11, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
My rating: 3.5
The book was not bad. It was a cute story about a girl named Jane who is obsessed with Dolphins...I would say that she was waaay too obsessed though or maybe the author wanted to prove this point by mentioning like a thousand times that she was "Dolphin girl" or the whole "pod" thing...honestly it became a little annoying after a while...I was like ok I get it you like dolphins...
The other thing that bothered me was the fact that Jane could not stand up to her mom! She always did
Corazon
Dec 20, 2012 Corazon rated it it was amazing
The book Dolphin Girl by Shel Delisle about how Jane has passion for dolphin. She one of her crazy thing she want to do. She show it of at the school hunt that made her team won the the hunt. She has problems with her mom because Jane personality is different and her mom doesn't like. The book move slowly because some scene part took for very to finish a detail. Some things I don't like is Alana turn her back on Jane when their were good friends. What was interesting is her brother always was th ...more
Allison Young
Honestly I'm not sure I would read this book again. There were some very funny moments. There were some very relatable moments that made me laugh out loud. The bad: the dolphin thing was just WAY too overbearing, by the end of this book you will never want to hear the word pod AGAIN. Eventually with the dolphins and Jane’s lack of a backbone when it comes to going for the things she wants you just want to bang your head against a wall. Her relationship with her overbearing mother was frustrating ...more
Rachael
Nov 15, 2011 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, romance
Cute and quirky. I loved it.
Laura's Book Addiction
Review to come
Melissa Haggerty
Feb 12, 2012 Melissa Haggerty rated it it was amazing
Ever since a childhood experience Jane has loved dolphins. She understands them. Jane longs to be free, like dolphins.

Jane's life was a fascinating tale. Her mother was a very controlling person, to an OCD point, I thought. Her father seemed indifferent to what was going on with his family. Her brother, John, was moving on with his life with Desiree.

In school, everyone stayed grouped together in pods. They socialized within their pods, stayed in one location during free time, and there wasn't
Kerry Cerra
Oct 04, 2011 Kerry Cerra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I cannot gush about this book enough. Dolphin Girl, A.K.A. Jane, is a main character most of us can relate to. It totally stinks that the cliques in HS are so confining, right? Feeling trapped by the pods at school and her mother’s rules at home, Jane longs for freedom. So, when hottie Sam Rojas who, despite being in the trophy case crowd, takes an interest in Jane, a member of the water fountain clan, she starts thinking maybe things can change. And that royally peeves ex-BFF/now trophy caser/I ...more
Cj Mcfadden
Nov 13, 2014 Cj Mcfadden rated it it was amazing
Dolphin Girl by Shel Delisle has probably got to be one of my favorites. Jane, your average high school student lives her life like any other. Between school, her strict mother, and her band, there’s always that one thing she will never be too busy for. Dolphins. Ever since she was a child, she’s always felt a connections towards dolphins. Not like an obsession, but an emotional connection.
I basically fell in love with this book. It was one of those “I can’t put it down until I pass out from e
George Saoulidis
Feb 21, 2016 George Saoulidis rated it it was amazing
This is a contemporary story, of a girl year in school. Nothing much happens while many things happen and lives change but it is all interesting and detailed, the people, the interactions. It's a coming of age with her first kiss, her first boyfriend, a mess with friends... Also, she loves dolphins, to an insane degree. The story is parallelized with excerpts of a book about dolphins, and uses terminology like pods to talk about group dynamics at school. The boys are shown to be real jerks, but ...more
Izzy W
Feb 18, 2015 Izzy W rated it it was amazing
In the book Dolphin Girl written by Shel Delisle is about a girl who is in a group at school and everyone is in their own group. Then theirs the popular group that hang out with only popular people. When she’s not at school and at her house she battles with her mother who is strict and very organized. Jane and her mother never see eye to eye. Jane wants freedom of choice and independence. When her mother stays strictly to the rules. Jane never feels free at school or house but when she’s near th ...more
Adrian
Dec 26, 2011 Adrian rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I was excited to read the book. The cover art wasn't cheesy (yes, I often do judge a book by its cover although I'm willing to give all books a chance, even if the cover art is horrible.) I was in need of a light, fun read and this book definitely delivered. I finished it in a day and a half and have already passed it on to my teenaged sister to read.
The main character, Jane, was a character I could relate to. I remember high school and all of
Ann Hartoonian
Aug 15, 2013 Ann Hartoonian rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book!
At first I was kind of freaked out cause she had a tattoo, but she was a really cool character! Her drawings sounded really pretty, especially the one on her bedroom wall! And when Sam got mad, I. freaked. Out. I didn't want him to be mad, and was so glad that they made up in the end!
I also loved the fact that she was really into dolphins. And she was a little different, and her Halloween costume sounded cute, I would have liked to see her dressed up in it. Same with
Kristina Miranda
Jane is artsy and free-spirited, trapped in a stifling home life. Things aren't much better for her at school where she feels confined by cliques and social mores. A kindred spirit of dolphins, Jane longs for open waters. When she falls for Sam, a sweet guy who's "off limits" because he's from a different "pod," Jane seeks the courage to remove the constraints in her life that hold her back.
The characters are true to life and richly drawn. I especially loved the interwoven story of Jane's brothe
Angie
Mar 07, 2012 Angie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book Jane is so different in a good way. she doesnt care what others think. Shes very much into dolphins and Sam. I love how she refers to clicks as pods. Im a big dolphin lover so i liked the little dolphin facts added to the chapters and how they hinted what was coming next it fit perfectly into the story. She has a great group of friends that dont judge just support. Jane and Sam deny their feelings but that just makes things that much more interesting. Great book i highly recomm ...more
April
Feb 06, 2016 April rated it really liked it
Ingrid
Feb 19, 2012 Ingrid rated it it was amazing
Jane Wants The Life Of A Dolphin.
Wild. Graceful. Free.

I read this Book with my Grand daughter, we both liked it a lot.
Tiffany Elgan
Nov 03, 2012 Tiffany Elgan rated it liked it
This is kind of hard for me to rate. On one hand, it had me really curious about what was going to happen and kept me reading, which I like. On the other hand, it is most definitely for YA and oh, it makes me cringe at the thought of my girls ever becoming teenagers. There were things I didn't agree with and I don't think I could even recommend the book to anyone. But- occasionally it's just kind of fun to read some fluff that requires no thought whatsoever. This book was definitely that!
Martina Sostero
Sep 03, 2012 Martina Sostero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yuo can't really trust this review because i'm a dolphin girl too, i have posters of dolphins on my bedroom walls, i wanna have a dolphin tatoo and i'd really really love to swim with dolphins; so i couldn't give less than five stars to this book. Anyway the story is nice, nothing new, just a teen drama well written, i liked a lot the pod thing,it expains really well how things go on high school. You can find freedom everywhere and this book is one of this places.
Rachael
May 26, 2014 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Dolphin Girl" isn't a particularly profound, life-changing novel, but it's enjoyable nevertheless! It's definitely a quick, but good, summer read. One of my few criticisms is that the narrative time jumps are rather abrupt and choppy. Obviously you can't squeeze an entire school year in a short novel, but a little more fluidity would have been appreciated.
Michelle (The Crazy Cat Lady)
[I recieved my copy for free through a First Reads giveaway]

I had tried to read this a while back, put it down, as I may even do with books I love, just to pick them up later but I had no desire to pick this up since. It just didn't capture me, and life is short; I have a long TBR list calling to me. The rating is based on what I read.
Rae
Feb 03, 2013 Rae rated it really liked it
This book was a little out there. Jane is a bit of a fanatic when it comes to dolphins. She's definitely different, and Sam is a good compliment to her. It was a great, light read. I had read some dark books before this and it was a refreshing change. Lighthearted. All teenagers would love this book.
Bethany
Sep 02, 2012 Bethany rated it it was ok
This book, while embarrassingly engaging, focused on the junior year of a character who whined about everything. The majority of the story was in fact her complaining with increasing intensity until a rather sudden and cliche reconciliation between many of the characters. I would not read it again, nor would I recommend it.
Leah
Feb 10, 2012 Leah rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book
It was very immature, the only thing I liked about it was the hunt and the antidote to freedom. The antidote I think is just common sense to begin with therefore doesn't really help my lifestyle but who knows others might find this book helpful and goofy.
Christy
Feb 20, 2014 Christy rated it liked it
It was a cute read, but nothing too spectacular. I borrowed it free through Amazon Prime's lending library. I probably would have like it less had I actually paid it read it :) but all in all the characters were compelling, the story line was fairly typical, but cute, if not totally believable.
D.W. Davis
Nov 28, 2011 D.W. Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read, especially given my affinity for dolphins. I empathized a lot with Jane's frustrations with her mother and the pods (as she called cliques) at school. Well paced and written in a style that younger young adults will enjoy but us older adults can appreciate.
Spuds
Aug 04, 2015 Spuds rated it liked it
3.70 on this.

Well, I love Dolphins and I love swimming. I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Finding Fiona
  • Hooked
  • Under the Dusty Sky (Holloway Farms, #1)
  • He Loves Me...He Loves You Not...
  • Simply, Mine
  • Maybe, Maybe Not
  • Unbreakable Love
  • The Dating Tutor
  • Marked in Mexico
  • A Starless Sky
  • Songbird
  • Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)
  • Heart Waves (Heart Waves, #1)
  • True Blue
  • Fireseed One
  • Shared Revelations
  • Effie At The Wedding (The Effie Stories #1)
  • Run for the Roses
Want to know about new releases? Sign up for the newsletter! http://eepurl.com/j29Vv

Shel Delisle swam with the dolphins once upon a time. While it was an incredible experience, sadly, the dolphins didn’t speak to her. Even though she lives in Florida with her hubby and three boys, she doesn’t spend as much time as she would like in the water. Most days she writes fiction or works on the kid-lit co
More about Shel Delisle...