Start by marking “Someday Dancer” as Want to Read:
Someday Dancer

Someday Dancer

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  325 ratings  ·  64 reviews
A ballerina tale with a thoroughly modern twist!

Casey Quinn has got more grace in her pinkie toe than all those prissy ballet-school girls put together, even if you'd never guess it from the looks of her too-long legs and dirty high-top sneakers. It's 1959, and freckle-faced Casey lives in the red-dust countryside of South Carolina. She's a farm girl: Her family can't affo
Published August 1st 2012 by Chicken House (first published January 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Someday Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someday Dancer

Anna
It was a great book. It took some time to get in to the book but it got there.

I do not recommend this book to people who like violence or hard core but to people who like dance, drama, hard work, and music. I personally do not like dance but really this is about determination and how to live out your dreams with the ups and downs.
Amanda
To be honest, I thought this was going to be a little cheesy. Awwww, a poor girl wants to be a dancer? And yeah, okay, so maybe part of it was. But it wasn't instant gratification. It was about how dreams take a lot of work to accomplish, how sometimes disappointments will happen, but we need to work through them anyway, and how sometimes dreams change in ways you never expected.

It was about the amount of emotion we put into art--painting and dancing in this story--and how that emotion is what m
Dorian
When I was young, I used to want to be a ballerina. That idea was tossed out after about a month, but I'm still always amazed by ballerinas. When I read the synopsis on the cover, I got kind of excited to read this novel. It took me a little bit to become fully engrossed in the book, but I basically finished the entire book in one sitting.

Reasons to Read:

1.Casey's Determined Nature:

One of the main drives in the book is how much Casey is determined to become a dancer in New York. She is willing
Jay
This book starts off like other standard YA ballet works. A young girl, with no training, aspires to be a prima ballerina and must beat the snooty other dancer in her class who can afford lessons and the like. Casey, our narrator, is poor and loves to dance everywhere but can't afford to go to a ballet school. She believes she's ready to attend the American School of Ballet in NYC, and although she has never done her tendus and fondues and grand battements in a classroom, she has 'checked out ev ...more
Jade Walker
Original review at http://inkscratchers.blogspot.com/

This book is a children's book aimed at ages 9+, though totally suitable for kids younger than that. Because of this, the book is not very deep and emotional and is pretty much a happy, cute read. The book is also quite enjoyable for teen and adult readers as well, though I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for something deep.

I liked this book for the simplicity of it, the characters are simple, the narration is simple and the story is a
Mikayla Lynn
I read Someday Dancer. I almost feel like I was meant to read this book. When I was looking for a book, I picked up one and right next to it was this book! Mrs. Rose said that this book is new to the library. No wonder I haven't read it yet! It's like it was made for me. It is historical fiction and about dancing.

The main character (Casey) really wants to become a dancer but her family can't afford to put her in dance. Her dad died in World War II, so they don't have money for things like bal
Nadine Peterman
This book it amazing! I'm a dancer so this ties to me and something I would like to do in the future. It's about a girl who wants to dance in NYC, which I would like to do in my future and this book it super interesting about her trying to accomplish her dreams.
Stephanie Solorzano
Feb 03, 2014 Stephanie Solorzano marked it as to-read
In the book someday dancer the girl Casey Quinn is a girl with big dreams. She lives in a small town but hopes to be a ballerina. Her parents can’t afford for the ballet classes. But will do anything she can do to get to where she wants to go no matter what. I didn’t like when her mom doesn’t necessarily help her follow her dreams. And because of this Casey is scared to tell her things about her dancing. Also when the group of girls keep bullying her. Bullying is wrong to do, is hurts people a l ...more
V. Gingerich
A lovely story that left me feeling good about people in general, and courageous poor girls in particular.

There's a lot to like in this book. Casey makes for a fun and lovable main character (plus, there's a whole cast of colorful secondaries), and her dreams of being a great dancer never falter, in spite all the obstacles in her way. I love the setting, too: all the way from small town USA to a New York City boarding school, with a vintage feel to both. Lastly, the themes are the sort that give
Kate G.
This was a wonderful novel. I finished this book in one day because I couldn't put it down! I would recommend this book to anyone who likes dance or just likes good descripted books!
Isabelle
A really inspiring story all about shooting for the stars and chasing your dreams. I really like the descriptions of how dancing felt for her!
Isabelle
The remarkable story of Casey Quinn, natural dancer, is heart warming and reminds you of how setting your mind to a dream results in amazing achievements. Throughout the story, Sarah Rubin does a great job of developing the characters. Also, the figurative language keeps it interesting. One of the reasons I gave this book a fives stars was because something was always happening. If a character failed at something, they immediately bounced back. Also, it was kept real. There are quite a few event ...more
Smorrow98
May 16, 2014 Smorrow98 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone that Loves Ballet
Shelves: current
Someday Dancer by Sarah Rubin was the best book I have ever read. It really inspired me, but also made me sob. Casey had a dream and raced after in but in the middle their are a few obstacles. This book made me cry because someone so close died in her family. She was going to give up dance because it gave her to much pain, but her teacher made her. This book appeals to me because I love dance, ballet, and I have a dream to do it as a career on day, too.

My two favorite characters were Gran and
Kenzie
Nov 28, 2014 Kenzie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dreamers, and those who enjoy a distinct writing style.
Recommended to Kenzie by: The bookshelf in my English teacher's classroom.
Someday Dancer was the type of book I've been wanting to write because I hadn't found and read it yet. (Sure mine probably wouldn't have been about dancing, but it was the general feel of the book I was searching for.) Needless to say I was very well pleased with this book.
The main protagonist was very likeable from the start because she was easy to sympathize with. The supporting characters were well written as well and filled the other perspectives and attitudes needed to complete the feel a
Crystal (Kris)
Casey is a natural dancer. Every second of the day, she's tapping some kind of beat and moving her body to the music. No one but her grandmother believes in her, however. Her mom wants her to come down to earth and pursue a realistic path. The other girls make fun of her love of dance. It is her dream to make it into a big ballet school and show everyone what she knows she can do. When she arrives in New York, her dreams change. She'll still be a dancer but in a contemporary dance school.

Family
Harini Srinivasan
Nice, cute, but a bit monotonous. It's not that there aren't highs and lows in the story, but somehow the voice never manages to communicate the associated emotion. And this makes it very forgettable. I finished the book last night, but it takes some racking of the old brain to remember the name of the heroine. Oh yes, Casey Quinn. Chip-on-her-shoulder, but good kid, courageous and generous.

Strangely, though, for a light and frivolous read (both the title and the shiny cover position it as one),
Jessica Harrison
Full review at Cracking the Cover

“Someday Dancer” can be split into two parts — Casey’s time in South Carolina and her time in New York — and both parts essential to making this great book whole. It’s clear author Sarah Rubin has a love of dance. It practically jumps through Casey and off the page.

It’s also clear that Sarah did her research.

Those who aren’t familiar with modern dance often think it’s all the same. But like ballet, which has a number of different methods, so, too, does modern dan
Barbara
Eighth grader Casey Quinn lives to dance and dreams of leaving her small South Carolina town behind her as she pursues her ambition to become a dancer. Because her family has little money, she takes a cleaning job at the hospital and earns money for a bus trip to New York to audition for the ballet. Although she doesn't make it to the second round, her dancing skills are noticed, and she is sent off to the Martha Graham studio to which she earns a scholarship. Learning how to dance in the big ci ...more
Maura
Inhalt:

Casey hat einen ganz großen Traum: Sie möchte Tänzerin werden. Doch für Ballettunterricht hat die Familie kein Geld, weshalb sie jeden Morgen ihr eigenes Training absolviert. Als Casey von dem Vortanzen für die Ballett-Akademie in New York erfährt, weiß sie sofort: Sie wird dorthin gehen und vortanzen. Das ist ihre große Chance, auf die sie so lange gewartet hat! Doch der Weg dorthin ist alles andere als einfach, wie Casey schmerzlich erfahren muss.

Erster Satz:

Rat-a-tat-tat, meine Füße tr
Ricarda Scola
Inhalt:

Casey hat einen Traum: sie will Tänzerin werden. Doch das ist gar nicht so leicht. Aufgewachsen in ärmlichen Verhältnissen, müssen Casey, ihre Mama und ihre Omi für jeden Cent hart arbeiten – da fällt Tanzunterricht nicht in den Rahmen des Möglichen. Aber davon lässt Casey sich nicht entmutigen: sie tanzt anstatt zu laufen, sogar in der Schule und auf der Arbeit lebt sie ihre Leidenschaft. Eines Tages kommt ihre Chance und sie hat die Möglichkeit, in New York zu einem Vortanzen zu gehen.
爱心❤
The book reminded me of those ballerina books that you read when you're seven. The plot was similar - a girl want's to become a dancer but can't due to whatever. In this case, her family was poor and couldn't pay for her lessons.

There is also an antagonist who is, well, very antagonist-y. In real life, good and bad is not so separate. But they were too black-and-white in the book. And then at the end the antagonist becomes good. Because it has to have a happy ending, however impossible.

The main
Heav
I almost quit reading this book after the first couple of chapters, because it was so slow at the beginning. But now, I'm glad I didn't quit reading this book. After I finished this book, it made me realize that I need to go after my dreams and do everything in my power to achieve them no matter how hard it may seem. This book was actually very inspiring after reading past the first few chapters. I really enjoyed the plot of this book.
Carolin
Casey Quinn - „hühnerbeinig”, zum Tanzen geboren, arm und aus Warren, South Carolina - hat einen riesigen Traum, auf den sie fleißig hinarbeitet: Sie will Tänzerin werden. Ihre Familie kann sich aber keine Ballettstunden leisten, sodass sie allein zu Hause üben und sich den Spott von den Ballettmädels rund um Ann-Lee anhören muss. Bald gibt es ein Vortanzen für die Ballettakademie in New York und sowohl Casey als auch Ann-Lee nehmen teil...Es kommt alles anders als gedacht, Träume werden erfüllt ...more
Meghan
This book is about a girl who cannot afford dance lessons, yet she has always wanted to be a dancer. She is very determined to be a dancer and this book tells the story of how she becomes one. This is a great book to show how it is important to never give up, and it is important to be determined.
Lexi James
I thought that someday dancer was a very inspirational book for dancers like me. It told a story of a dancer who has hard times with money but keep her dream going to be a professional dancer in New York. I give this book five stars.
Isabella
Everyone has a different opinion on this book I certainly loved it!!! The first time I read it it took me a while to get into but when I finished I re read it it is to this day still one of my favourite books and I highly recommend it!
Taylor
Brigitte
Dit is een mooi verhaal over een meisje met een passie voor dansen. Een nadeel vind ik dat het verhaal zich afspeelt in Amerika en in het jaar 1959. Voor meisjes die van dansen houden is het een heerlijk boek.
Anna❤️
I thought that it was a great book and I feel like many could relate. I would like to read other books by Sarah Rubin
“Legendary.”

This book can be an inspiration in many ways.

The sadness is too depressing and the happiness is overwhelming.
It's basically about a girl called Casey whose dream and desire is to be a professional ballerina working in the city.

The reason I stated that it will inspire many, is that because she is trying to reach her goals and brightest dreams. She is a persistent girl who turns the negative to positive. It will influence they way you think negatively. Casey would do ANYTHING for her
  • Pirouette
  • Margot Fonteyn: A Life
  • Dancing at the Chance
  • Winter Season: A Dancer's Journal
  • Marie, Dancing
  • Ellie's Chance to Dance (Royal Ballet School Diaries, #1)
  • Girl in Motion: A Novel
  • Since You Left Me
  • Chain of Hearts
  • White Swan, Black Swan
  • Cadillac Chronicles
  • Blue Thread
  • 101 Stories of the Great Ballets: The Scene-by-Scene Stories of the Most Popular Ballets, Old and New
Ein Traum und zwei Füße

“All my trapped tears are in there like poison, but I can't let them out.” 1 likes
“But dreams don't just come true, not really. They come true, and then they get bigger.” 1 likes