Start by marking “Jewish Spirituality: A Brief Introduction for Christians” as Want to Read:
Jewish Spirituality: A Brief Introduction for Christians

Jewish Spirituality: A Brief Introduction for Christians

A window into the Jewish soul--written especially for Christians.

"I invite you to explore with me some of the rich and varied expressions of the Jewish spiritual imagination. It is a tradition that may at times, for Christians, feel strangely familiar and will, for Christians and Jews, always challenge you to see yourself and your world through a new lens."
--from the Intro
Published August 1st 2001 by Jewish Lights Publishing (first published July 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Jewish Spirituality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jewish Spirituality

Zack
Dec 27, 2010 Zack rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
Emphasis on "brief." There are a few lovely stories to read here, but on the whole I find myself knowing roughly as much about Jewish spirituality now as I thought I did before I read it. Maybe I'm asking for too much from an overview of one of the oldest religious traditions on Earth condensed into 100 pages. But if he were limiting himself to the format of prolonged essay, he might have laid it out better or provided a better introductory section. Also, the "...for Christians" part of the titl ...more
Nicholas Bradley
Oct 12, 2007 Nicholas Bradley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians wanting to understand the Jewish people more
I read this book following the recommendation of Rob Bell, pastor at Mars Hill church and creator of the popular Nooma videos, and I enjoyed. It is written by a Jewish man who has an appreciation for the Christian world thanks to a relationship he has with a Pastor and their willingness to be open and honest with eachother. It gives insights as to what and HOW the Jewish people believe and think. It is great for bridging the gap that exists between the JEwish and Christian people. There were som ...more
Lisa
Dec 30, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
I found this to be a lovely book full of beautiful stories that express Jewish values. Chapters are typically three to five pages and would make good readings to open a discussion circle or religious education class. You can read the whole thing in forty-five minutes, but you could spend a lot longer thinking about the concepts that Rabbi Kushner explores. One thing I would make clear: this book really is just about Jewish spirituality; it doesn't describe Jewish history or outline the customs a ...more
Drick
May 29, 2016 Drick rated it really liked it
This think text by Rabbi Larry Kushner was surprisingly full of insights. Kushner is a great writer and sprinkled his explanation of Jewish spirituality with Hasidic tales. As a Christian used to focusing on the meaning of the Biblical text, Kushner's use of Scripture and explanation of Jewish belief was very illuminating and gave me a great appreciation for an area I thought I understood, but clearly did not.

I count this book as a pleasant surprise! While not deeply thought provoking, it spurre
Jonathan
Mar 21, 2011 Jonathan rated it did not like it
Rabbi Lawrence Kushner has written a platitudinous and vague book about Jewish spirituality, which is more likely to confuse than clarify for all but the most abstract-minded people. The sole exception is his afterword, which does get down to some specifics of Jewish thought, but it has a defensive feel, like it is written to fend of those offensive Christian proselytizers. Having grown up in Baptist country, I understand why one might feel this way, but I do not think it is especially helpful.
Gianna Rendon
Aug 04, 2013 Gianna Rendon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This is a good introduction to Jewish Spirituality. I like how the rabbi explained Jewish teachings and beliefs using words and phrases Christians can understand. I definitely want to read more about the Jewish Tradition because of this book.
Sara Cat
Jul 12, 2014 Sara Cat rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
probably not what most of its readers was looking for, however it is an excellent collection of midrashim. Kushner is always a excellent author and is one of his nice little pieces. I may buy a copy to keep on hand.
Daniel Butcher
Apr 27, 2011 Daniel Butcher rated it really liked it
Brief, easy to read overview.
Tom
Feb 03, 2010 Tom rated it really liked it
A fun little book that provides some valuable insight into some long held Christian beliefs.
Aaron Carlberg
He's a Jewish mystic, but it's a good book.
Danielle
Nov 16, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
My favorite section is entitled "Hands of God ". Very engaging book.
Drew
Mar 08, 2016 Drew rated it liked it
An easy read and I'm glad I read it.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Debra Colmers
Debra Colmers rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2017
Ryan Guard
Ryan Guard rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2009
Bryandthou
Bryandthou rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2007
Monica
Monica rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2008
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2011
steve gerard
steve gerard rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Danny
Danny rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Susan Gemperline
Susan Gemperline rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Corey Baker
Corey Baker rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Adam Lorenz
Adam Lorenz rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Offgrid
Offgrid rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Aingeal Stone
Aingeal Stone rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Christa Harness
Christa Harness rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
James
James rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2017
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2007
George Rae
George Rae rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2014