Start by marking “Lokakuun maa” as Want to Read:

17. Viikate
18. Väkijoukko
19. Yläkerran mies
Hardcover, 1. p. , 331 pages
Published 1985 by Kirjayhtymä (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Lokakuun maa, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

One of the first books I ever read, and one of the reasons I still read. I found some of the other reviews dismaying (poor dialogue?, silly concepts?, antique writing style? - has the world and the people in it really changed that much? Have people lost their hearts? Perhaps, they've just never read "The Smile" by Bradbury, not included in this collection).

Granted, Bradbury's style does take some getting used to - the man is emotionally honest and as people everywhere become more emotionally gua
I love the reading of Bradbury on a crisp, autumn morning … sounds like October.

The October Country is a collection of short stories by the Grandmaster writer Ray Bradbury.

Eschewing any connection to science fiction, this group of purely fantasy tales resounds with Bradbury’s fascination with and brilliant creativity in the realms of the occult, macabre and the dark. Bradbury begins the book with this explanation: “The October Country … that country where it is always turning late in the year.
October Country...that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain...

Fall is probably my

... that country were it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilight linger, and midnights stay. The country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain ...

The introduction suggests this one's
I am quite useless at reviewing an anthologies so please bear with me. How do you go about reviewing these things any way? Story by story? Sounds like a chore. I'll just muddle through as usual then!

The October Country is a collection of Ray Bradbury's macabre stories, I hesitate to label them as "horror stories" because they are not particularly horrifying, but they are mostly odd and unsettling, almost "new weird" but disqualified on the "new" part! I will just run through them quickly:

Paul Bryant
Anyone reading my review of Something Wicked this way Comes might possibly get the idea that I don't think Ray Bradbury is the godlike genius I used to think he was. Well, I don't. But I was like this stupid kid, I hadn't read anything, and stumbling into RB's world was my 13 year old version of Alice falling down the rabbit hole. Suddenly - Light! Colour! Weirdness! Mars!
He did sentimentality - everyone knows that, buckets of the stuff - but he also did gruesome and freaky. The October Countr
Bradbury gets to me like no other author. I honestly couldn't tell you if it was the stories themselves or my frame of mind when I first read them, but somehow Bradbury is able to slip right through most of my critical faculties and hit me right in the heart.

This first collection is fabulous, showcasing Bradbury's sentimental side as well as facility with darker emotions, especially loneliness. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I read about that sea monster calling back to the foghorn or
It is no secret that science fiction tickles my fancy like nothing else. I've penned dozens of reviews by now declaiming the same thing. Yet for all of my heartfelt ardor for the genre as a whole, I have never been a big fan of Golden Age science fiction. By Golden Age I mean those authors writing either before or during the initial space race, authors whose imaginations were set racing by the vision of Sputnik orbiting overhead and whose Eisenhower minds drew long gleaming phallus-looking rocke ...more
I may or may not have read this once before. Some of the stories were familiar. The first story, The Dwarf, was so intensely familiar I almost felt I could recite parts of it from memory. But others felt new to me. Probably I've just encountered many of these stories in other collections. And why not? They're each of them quite good, at least.

While all of the stories are at least good, and a few are great, this still isn't my favorite selection of Bradbury stories. But you won't do wrong here, b
Beth Sniffs Books
[This is a 3.5 rating]As with any collection of short stories, everyone is going to have his or her own favorites, along with some that just didn't strike his or her fancy. My most favorite story in the collection was Skeleton -- it was spectacular, quite possibly perfect. I also very much enjoyed The Crowd, The Cistern, and Homecoming -- all fantastic. And let's not forget The Dwarf, Next in Line, and The Emissary.

But there were a handful of stories I just wasn't crazy about: The Jar, Touched w
Lee Foust
The October Country is, I believe, the earliest Bradbury story collection. Well, it's a bit long for what it is, and not all of the tales are terrific, but it has led me enjoyably down the shadowy path, once again, of Ray Bradbury's precious imagination, which is, for me, the best aspect of picking up one of his books. It's not the ideas but the moods that get me, not the plots of the stories, but rather the details, the similes, certain familiar social situations suddenly set in eldritch precin ...more
M. Özgür
kitabın yaratıp sizi bir anda içine attığı duygu durumu çok etkileyici idi; bu yüzden, tekrar tekrar yaşamak için kitaptaki bazı öyküleri iki defa, bir tanesini ise üç defa okudum.
This is a collection of many of Bradbury's horror/Halloween themed short stories. They're a bit more gruesome that his usual fare, but given the theme, that's understandable.

I'm a big Bradbury fan and am slowly working my way through a big stockpile I purchased last summer. And despite reading a lot of his work, all but one of these were totally new to me - which is sort of unusual since he did reprint upon reprint upon reprint. And they'll probably be new to most people unless they've read Dar
May 27, 2008 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of macabre, scary, or just plain unusual stories
I'd started reading this book several years ago, in the library at another college, while I was attending a library convention, and I've just now gotten around to finishing it. At his best, Bradbury is a master of short fiction; his output in that form ranges across the genres, from the speculative realms of science and supernatural fiction to the everyday world of descriptive fiction. But the unifying thread in all of it is a flamboyant imagination, by turns whimsical or chilling, that can tran ...more
Ismael Galvan
I'm a big Bradbury fan but this collection was a bit of a let down. I even went into this book with high expectations for stories on par with The Illustrated Man. It's not that the stories were bad; the majority of stories were average. They lacked the philosophical impact that Bradbury masters in his later years, and so they built up like a potentially funny joke deflated by a weak punchline.

What saved this book for me were a couple of stand out stories that put literary-static electricity on t
The best single piece of writing Bradbury every did is the opening paragraph for this collection. I read it over and over. The next best thing is the story "Uncle Einar."
Okay, this is when I hang my head in shame and feel like a sorry excuse for a literary enthusiast... When I read my first of Bradbury's works and did not like it, I thought surely it was a fluke, but now that I am finished with The October Country and didn't care much for it either, I've decided that Ray Bradbury just maybe isn't for me. This makes me sad... I've been looking forward to reading this book all year long and then it was just meh.

I am obsessed with October. Obsessed. I love digging
The October Country showcases a side of Bradbury that is rarely seen. Well known for his science fiction writing, it's long been forgotten that Bradbury largely got his start as a horror writer. The October Country is the only collection of his that showcases this early work, and this rather poignant side of his psyche.

The Family stories are here, both "Uncle Einar" and "Homecoming," which can now be recognized as chapters in From the Dust Returned. "The Dwarf" is another story of his that I bel
This collection of early short stories is startlingly different from anything else I've read by Bradbury, though some of the stories share a bit of the small town sentimentality of Dandelion Wine. None of these tales are truly classics, but the sensibility and the subtle horror that Bradbury brings to each of the many stories here, shows that even from a young age (for a writer) Bradbury's imagination was quite fertile and capable of quite elegant leaps. Many of the conceits in these horror tale ...more
A brilliant collection of stories centered around what Bradbury called his "autumn people." Of course, anything by Ray Bradbury is going to be high caliber, but these stories speak to me at the heart. Much like "Something Wicked" the stories focus on worlds very similar to ours, but always a little off.

Bradbury is at his best in short stories and every one in this collection doesn't disappoint. If you like the man at his most eerie, weird, disaffected and dark, this is essential reading.

The book contains almost all the stories as Dark Carnival. Still I found in it a few I havent read before....Reading Bradbury short stories is like entering into twilight zone. They are weird, dark, scary with a touch of autumn melancholy, but beautiful in the same time just want more and more of it. I can read them like forever....

Keri Ann
I loved this book! I'm a big fan of horror anthologies despite the fact that they are, for the most part, hit or miss. I believe this is the first collection of supernatural stories in which I have enjoyed every single story. One thing I noticed about this book that set it apart from the other anthologies that I've read was the subtleness of the "scares". If I had to invent a genre for The October Country I would call it Subtle Intelligent Horror. Ray Bradbury finds a way to scare the reader wit ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I read most of these stories years ago. There was a choice to be made here as to the number of stars but I decided that there were more 4 star stories than there were 3 star. Over all I like these.

I could go over each of them or some of them, but I won't. I think the story i remembered most and that stood out most for me was The Small Assassin. One of the more thought provoking (for me) was The Crowd. There were some that mostly left me cold, but only a few. The stories in this book run the gamu
The October County is my first book/collection of Bradbury. The stories in the collection are haunting,disturbing,emotionally strong.
There was a magical,ageless quality to Bradbury's writing and most of the stories are of high quality.

The best stories,the ones that stood out most are "The Scythe", "Uncle Einar", "The Skeleton", The Emissary, "The Jar".

Easily one of the best collections of stories I have read in this kind of fiction.

The darkly fascinating tales in this collection both entrance and repugn. They will keep you awake for hours, deliberating on what they reveal of the nature of our world. They will give you nightmares. They will give you hope. They will make you consider how you live your life. Ray Bradbury is one of the best science fiction authors I have read. And, though these are not science fiction, they are among the best short stories of any kind that I have read.
Rob Charpentier
Although I consider myself to be something of a huge sci-fi fan, I must confess that I’m sadly just not that big of a reader of the genre. Movies and television shows tend to be what I’m drawn to in this particular field. So, maybe, I’m just lazy when it comes to this stuff. Whenever I do try to read something in this field, even those listed as absolute classics, I find myself at some point losing patience either with the main premise or with the writing itself. So, when I do find something I l ...more
Danny Teich
"The October Country" is a collection of 16 horror short stories by Ray Bradbury. Bradbury, who is well-known for his dystopian, horror, and science fiction works, works around a common theme of psychological horror in "The October Country." Each story brings the reader into the mind of the protagonist for an up-close experience with all the agony, fear, and paranoia that goes through the character's mind. We follow the main character as he observes a realistic situation, but distorts his surrou ...more
Jun 23, 2015 Caitlin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caitlin by: My dear father-in-law Sydney
UGH. This book was so good. Before my father-in-law (a huge bibliophile comme moi) handed me this book, I thought I hated short stories and horror stories. Oh lawd was I wrong wrong wrong.

There is a wonderful Foreward by Ray Bradbury himself, which offers really interesting insight into his writing which - as a writer myself - was a pure pleasure to read.

I've never read short stories in my life. Never. I always thought they were weird and just didn't give them a chance at all. Well wow, this wa
Right, so, Bradbury's the man, man. It doesn't matter when you know just how a story is going to end; he wants you to know so you can stop worrying about it and feel the journey in all the senses.

There are two "Family" stories in here and I must go find more. At some point.

And just...not a bad story in here, or even a mediocre one. Because they're all Bradbury. And the details are just...mmm. So good I have to let the taste linger and come back for the next taste. (That is to say, it took me a w
May I Die Before My Voices: Not a story within this collection actually. It's the introduction by the author, and quite simply one of the best I've read. The title refers to those voices an author, and a reader too I believe, hear when the characters have taken on a life of their own. 5/5.

The Dwarf: A good start. Reminded me of Something Wicked This Way Comes, which I read earlier this month. Questions the power of illusion, and how it affects how we can see ourselves. Okay, but there are better
The best of Bradbury!! 2 32 Mar 17, 2014 01:29PM
  • The Panic Hand: Stories
  • In a Lonely Place
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2008: Twenty-First Annual Collection
  • Strange Wine
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)

“The minute you get a religion you stop thinking. Believe in one thing too much and you have no room for new ideas.” 267 likes
“Beer's intellectual. What a shame so many idiots drink it.” 68 likes