Den allvarsamma leken

Den allvarsamma leken

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  727 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Århundradets kärlekssaga
»Mig får du älska på ett hedniskt vis!« säger Lydia Stille till Arvid Stjärnblom. En gång var hon den oskyldiga flickan han hade kysst bakom syrenhäckarna. Nu är hon gift, liksom han själv, men när slumpen sammanför dem efter tio år flammar deras känslor för varandra upp. Och nu är hon en mogen, självständig kvinna som vågar bejaka lidelsens krav, m...more
Published September 12th 2011 by Bonnier Pocket (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Den allvarsamma leken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Den allvarsamma leken

Teresa
"Anos mais tarde, quando recordava esse Outono de 1908, Arvid referia-se-lhe como o "purgatório". Na época, sentira como se estivesse a percorrer um longo e sinuoso túnel, que se ia afunilando cada vez mais, até o obrigar a gatinhar...um túnel sem saída e onde não entrava um raio de luz...De repente, sentiu-se velho. Era como se envelhecesse um ano a cada dia que passava."

"Sim, pensou ele, os poetas têm sorte. Podem encontrar consolação para quase tudo. Mesmo que tenham a vida destruída, devasta
Roberta
Lettura di ottobre 2013 del gruppo Iperborea.

Per me non è una storia d'amore, a meno di voler scambiare il tormento (proprio e altrui) con l'amore stesso. Posso capire che i due ragazzi, Arvid e Lydia, non si sentissero pronti al matrimonio nel primo capitolo: giovani, senza arte né parte, sembrava naturalmente troppo presto per parlare di ufficializzare un legame. Ma col passare degli anni continuano a prendersi e lasciarsi, a sottintendere promesse, a cambiare idee. Specialmente lui: sono molt...more
Emil Söderman
So, "The Serious Game" was, in my literature textbook described as "Possibly the most beautiful love story written in the swedish language."

This is not entirely incorrect, but it probably says something about swedish literature. Basic story: Boy loves girl. Girl marries other man, boy marries other woman, boy and girl meet again, boy and girl have an affair. Girl cheats on boy, boy forgives girl, boys wife finds out, boy finds out girl has cheated on him again, boy and girl break up. The end.

Thi...more
No Books
Una fin de siècle svedese

Consigliatomi per i numerosi e toccanti scorci di Stoccolma che fanno da sfondo ad una storia d'amore (secondo Iperborea l'unica della letteratura svedese) delicata e disincantata, contrastata e profonda, lieve nonostante il pessimismo di fondo.
In secondo piano i più importanti avvenimenti storici tra '800 e '900, che entrano a far parte della vicenda grazie all'espediente della professione del protagonista.
Pubblicato nel 1912, rispecchia le istanze borghesi, urbane, ate...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)

If it's good enough for Eric Northman, it's probably good enough for me. But first . . . I must learn Swedish!
Helen
This wasn't a book I sought out, but something I came across by chance in the library. I thought it was charming, despite the rather sad (but not, at least for the main characters, tragic) outcome. Although described as a love story I am not sure I would call it that - it is more the story of an affair between two people who perhaps should (but on the other hand, perhaps not!) have married each other when younger. Apart from the theme of the secrecy of the affair (all told from the man's point o...more
Raina
Oy yoy yoy! So depressing! I knew it wasn't going to be happy from the start, but it just got worse and worse as the plot unfolded. Nothing ends well in the book. I suppose the lessons from the book are 1) take it while you can get it and 2) nothing ends well that starts badly. Yet another depressing Swedish book/movie!
Michael Moseley
Translated by Eva Claeson

Sweden's most celebrated and enduring love story.

Henning Mankell described this novel, on the centenary of its publication in 1912, as one of the world's lost classics. Published by Marion Boyars since 2001, and in a new reprint now, THE SERIOUS GAME is a love story that has barely aged at all. Mankell writes: "Söderberg wrote a contemporary novel. He wants the reader to look upon that time and to understand that love is not a secluded island, it is always affected by th...more
Leonard
My first encounter with Söderberg's prose occurred a year ago through his earlier novel Dr Glas. The themes and stylistic traits which made Dr Glas a delight are just as ubiquitous in The Serious Game, with a perfect blending of content (the intricacies of extramarital love within an insular society; the role of free will) and context (the lush description of Stockholm and its contemporary furores through the eyes of a journalist-cum-flâneur). Söderberg's ability to explore depths while remainin...more
Issicratea
I read this immediately after the same author’s Doctor Glas, which I loved. My expectations may have been pitched a little too high, but I found this something of a disappointment by comparison, though it’s still an enjoyable novel to read.

I gather from the introduction to my edition that The Serious Game's bittersweet (but mainly bitter) love story echoes a series of happenings in the author’s own life fairly closely. He may not have had sufficient emotional distance from the events evoked to...more
Ana Carvalheira
Tratando-se apenas de uma história de amor, traição e adultério vivida na passagem do século XIX para o XX, esta obra não contém a mesma densidade psicológica e intenção filosófica de "Dr. Glass".
Contudo, a narrativa não deixa de ser interessante principalmente pela prosa literária utilizada, sem grandes artifícios de estilo, sem a adopção de linguagens cansativamente metafóricas ou elípticas que nos fazem perder, por vezes, o sentido do texto.
Infelizmente, em Portugal a publicação de boa liter...more
Elsie Klumpner
This is a gem of a book. A warning: don't read the introduction until you have finished the book, unless you want to know the whole story before reading it. It's a good essay but tells the reader too much. The book is about a man who sacrifices love for ambition at a young age and then lives a complicated life as a result. It's beautifully written with characters who come alive - for better or worse. It paints a vivid picture of the the city of Stockholm at the turn of the 19th century. The issu...more
Elisa
Romanzo scritto in maniera eccellente, in cui risalta il piacere per la narrazione e la descrizione, ma la storia in sé non mi è piaciuta molto, non mi ha presa, anzi, mi ha spesso irritata.
Ho trovato i due protagonisti davvero insopportabili e non ho capito le loro ragioni. Mi sembravano entrambi egoisti, lui senza spina dorsale, lei approfittatrice, viziata e manipolatrice. Il senso di decadenza e di mancanza di riferimenti, il turbinare di eventi (sia privati che storici) senza avere alcuna f...more
míol mór
In secondo piano i pi�� importanti avvenimenti storici tra '800 e '900, che entrano a far parte della vicenda grazie all'espediente della professione del protagonista.
Pubblicato nel 1912, rispecchia le istanze borghesi, urbane, atee dell'autore con una...more
Tommy Feldt
Hjalmar Söderberg har det vackraste språket av alla svenska författare som jag läst, och den här boken tog mig med storm. En klassiker (med rätta!) som fyllde mig med lika delar lycka och vemod och som jag naturligtvis borde ha läst långt tidigare!
Denis
I recently read this Swedish classic in French - the title translates as THE SERIOUS GAME and it's a deeply felt love story that takes place in Sweden at the turn of the XXth century. Very intriguing at the beginning, and really moving as it moves on toward its inevitably sad, yet realistic, ending. It seems to be a famous classic in Sweden, where it created quite a scandal when it was published. One can see why, even if, of course, there's nothing scandalous for us. Yet the psychological evolut...more
Mia
This book made me think of Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises." Both Söderberg and Hemingway address the agonizing complications of Love -- or lack of it -- and the character of Lydia reminded me a great deal of Lady Ashley. I found it interesting also that both utilize elipses to imply the sex act is occuring or has occured (language didn't "loosen up" between 1912 and 1926).

I agree with the novel that we don't choose who we love, who we marry or who we get as kids. Nature chooses for us. It's out...more
Stina
Alltid tvekat inför att läsa klassiker för har oftast tyckt de varit sega och tråkiga. Denna var däremot en glad överraskning! Språket är milt och händelserna är oförutsägbara. Helt enkelt en skön bok, själva historien kommer jag kanske inte bära med mig och reflektera över som med vissa andra böcker men det känns som att en ny dörr öppnades, speciellt när det gäller att skriva själv och jag skulle gärna försöka mig på att skriva någon novell som är mer i denna stil. Helt enkelt en skön bok.
Elisa
This book was actually funnier and more interesting than I expected; in spite of my limited experience as a reader, I consider that love stories are usually boring and predictable. What makes this book enjoyable consists mostly in the little anecdotes told by supporting characters, and, I guess, Arvids thoughts at times. The remarks about God, being a writer and the historical setting of the novel were also interesting for me :)
Ffiamma
un uomo, una donna, un amore che dura- nonostante il passare degli anni, le separazioni, il dolore, i matrimoni e i tradimenti. un amore che resta un gioco serio e non si concretizza mai, pur essendo fin troppo presente nella vita. e sullo sfondo, i grandi eventi della storia europea, i personaggi di spicco della società svedese e gli scorci romantici di stoccolma. romanzo assai bello, di una malinconia quasi insopportabile.
Snipkin
This book did not interest me until somewhere after page 50. After a promising start, it was some time before the story moved in the expected (and hoped for) direction. Much of it has a modern feel, and does not read like it was written 100 years ago. However, it was not as good as I had hoped it would be. Always looking to discover THE (unknown) book, but usually these more obscure books do not live up my hopes.
Love Sjöberg
Det roliga med att läsa klassiker är att de sällan är vad man tänkt att de ska vara. Vill man läsa en mästare i att skriva enkelt men svindlande ska man läsa den här. Lydia är den karaktär som man brottas med efteråt. Hennes val är många och jag får problem att placera henne då hon inte är någon karikatyr. Söderberg skriver fram den moderna kvinnan och de barriärer som fanns för att vara fri.
Ria
The book is a must read for those who haven’t read it yet.A Swedish blogger recommended this book to me.After reading several reviews I decided to read it.Though it can be boring at first but it’s awesomely written.The best Swedish love story that ever was written.
Greta
Mycket bra bok, men med ett enligt mig dåligt slut. Det var inte vad som hände i slutet som var dåligt, det var att berättelsen inte kändes riktigt klar. Det var för måna lösa trådar i luften, enligt min mening. I övrigt så älskade jag språket.
Vera Maria
No book was ever written so beautifully in the swedish language as this. The greatest love story I've ever read and probably ever will read. My admiration for this book has no boundaries!
José Van rosmalen
Mooi boek over liefde, macht en jalouzie. Het is al een eeuw oud maar doet nog modern aan. Het is uitstekend in het Nederlands vertaald onder de titel het ernstige spel
Kadi
Lydia Stille är onekligen en intressant karaktär och kärlekshistorien känns fräsch. Men det är någonting med själva prosan som drar ned betyget. Föredrar Doktor Glas.
Christina
ett enda stycke i boken finns det som jag inte tycker om, allt annat älskar jag.
Annika
Gjorde mindre intryck än vad jag hade trott. Kanske var på fel humör.
  • Mina drömmars stad (Stadsserien, #1)
  • Gentlemen
  • The Emperor of Portugalia
  • Montecore: En unik tiger
  • The Emigrants (The Emigrants, #1)
  • Kallocain
  • Lasermannen: En berättelse om Sverige
  • The Dwarf
  • Mig äger ingen
  • Himnaríki og helvíti
  • Kalla det vad fan du vill
  • Poem Strip
Hjalmar Emil Fredrik Söderberg was a Swedish novelist, playwright, poet and journalist. His works often deal with melancholy and lovelorn characters, and offer a rich portrayal of contemporary Stockholm through the eyes of the flaneur. Söderberg is greatly appreciated in his native country, and is sometimes considered to be the equal of August Strindberg, Sweden's national author.
More about Hjalmar Söderberg...
Doctor Glas Martin Bircks ungdom (Delfinserien) Förvillelser Historietter Doktor Glas ; Hjärtats oro

“Det fattades bara, det fattades bara att jag skulle gå genom livet utan att nånsin ha varit din.” 8 likes
“Când vine vorba de amanții unei femei, se aplică îndeobște aritmetica negrilor australieni: ei numără doar până la trei. Tot ce depășește trei se cheamă "mulți".” 7 likes