Motivation and Personality

Motivation and Personality

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  458 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A statement on self-actualisation and data. Applications are made to the theories and science of personality, psychotherapy, personal growth and general psychology.
Paperback, Third Edition, 336 pages
Published January 7th 1997 by Pearson (first published 1954)

Teri Temme
Wow - incredible book. I am once again amazed I missed this book the first time I was introduced to Maslow oh so long ago. Maybe it wasn't time yet. Every chapter had a great insight into society and the ways in which we view each other and ourselves. I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking answers to "Why do people do that?".

Here's a sampling:

The exclusive study of our failures and breakdowns will hardly breed inspiration, hopefulness, and optimistic ambitions in either the layman or the...more
Caroline
I found this incredibly meaningful, and optimistic about humanity and human potential. Also practical in a certain sense, in the way expansive and abstract issues can be managed in the context of mundane, quotidian life.
Lily Pilly
Maslow always inspired me and helped me to walk towards my ultimate goal before I am no longer...as much as possible to be an insightful, caring, humble person...a lot of work but so worth it....I recommend this book to anyone who wants to full fill their potential in life.
Joanna
One of my all-time favorite books. Maslow basically explains in detail the characteristics of an emotionally healthy person. A good benchmark and inspiring.
Ron Davison
Maslow was such a full human being and in this book he reveals a great deal about how to experience life fully. A beautiful man and a beautiful book.
wally
Theory that is relatively easy to understand. Everyone understands "basic needs" right? As I recall, I read this in conjunction w/Karen Horney's Neeurosis and Human Growth, the two somewhat complement each other, and as I recall, Horney goes more so, into the kind of things that happen, say in Measure for Measure...Duke Vincentio...who has presumably settled his "basic needs" as Maslow lays them out--

--this is sketchy, memory, and all...been a few years...but by basic, I recall really basic, tri...more
Aleh Piatrou
Общепринятое обывательское представление о пирамиде ценностей имеет мало общего с настоящими идеями автора.
Roman Tsegelskyi
Awesome book. Especially liked the chapters about self actualization and love
John
Rated: C+

This book is one of his classics. Not a primer for beginners but an advanced work for his colleagues. Good to ready directly about his understanding of the hierarchy of needs and self-actualization. This work was published in the 1950’s and it is amazing to look back and see just how far psychology had come by then as well as how far it has progressed since then.
Kristo
Brilliant book! If Maslow's hierarchy of needs sympathized you, then I'm quite sure this book has many ideas and new perspectives to give. A must read for the ones interested in psychology and motivation in my opinion.
Lillian E.
required reading for all psych students and nursing /medical students. Insight into humnaistic view points and one's motivation on the road to self actualization. Short book, concise and in a sense a guide book.
Octavian
Nov 09, 2007 Octavian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all people interested in psychology
E o carte care accentueaza tendintele pozitive ale omului. maslow descrie in detaliu necesitatile umane explicand la ce duce frustrarea lor.
Ahmed Aldeen
Sep 18, 2011 Ahmed Aldeen is currently reading it
amazing and short book to understand more about your needs and others behaviors
Angela
There is no frill. Realism and human needs is tackled in a clear and universal way.
Jack
I've always enjoyed reading Maslow, for his focus on people at their best
Novia Erlita
this is a good book, but i do not know to get this book
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Bara
Bara marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Kimberly Jones
Kimberly Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Vivika
Vivika marked it as to-read
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Daria
Daria marked it as to-read
Alondracirio
Alondracirio marked it as to-read
Alexander
Alexander is currently reading it
Mus
Mus is currently reading it
Hawk
Hawk added it
Jul 04, 2014
motivationscoaching 1 2 Jun 27, 2013 01:40PM
  • The Psychology of Intelligence
  • Science and Human Behavior
  • Our Inner Conflicts: A Constructive Theory of Neurosis
  • Psychology and Alchemy (Collected Works 12)
  • Man for Himself: An Inquiry into the Psychology of Ethics
  • The Principles of Psychology, Volume 1
  • Gestalt Therapy Verbatim
  • A Way of Being
  • Man's Search for Himself
  • What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-Improvement
  • The Will to Meaning: Foundations and Applications of Logotherapy
  • The Divided Self: An Existential Study in Sanity and Madness
  • Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders
  • The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler
  • Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology
In 1908, Abraham H. Maslow was born, the first of seven children, to immigrant Russian Jewish parents, in New York City. He received his BA in 1930, his MA in 1931 and his Ph.D in 1934, all in psychology, from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Maslow taught full time at Brooklyn College, then at Brandeis, where he was named Chair of Psychology in 1951. Maslow, a humanist-based psychologist, is...more
More about Abraham Maslow...
Toward a Psychology of Being The Farther Reaches of Human Nature (Esalen Book) Religions, Values, and Peak-Experiences Maslow on Management Hierarchy of Needs: A Theory of Human Motivation

“Het is niet normaal om te weten wat we willen. Dat is een enorme en uitzonderlijke psychologische prestatie.” 5 likes