Start by marking “Motivation and Personality” as Want to Read:
Motivation and Personality

Motivation and Personality

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  930 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A statement on self-actualisation and data. Applications are made to the theories and science of personality, psychotherapy, personal growth and general psychology.
Paperback, Third Edition, 336 pages
Published January 17th 1997 by Pearson (first published 1954)

Teri Temme
Mar 02, 2013 Teri Temme rated it it was amazing
Wow - incredible book. I am once again amazed I missed this book the first time I was introduced to Maslow oh so long ago. Maybe it wasn't time yet. Every chapter had a great insight into society and the ways in which we view each other and ourselves. I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking answers to "Why do people do that?".

Here's a sampling:

The exclusive study of our failures and breakdowns will hardly breed inspiration, hopefulness, and optimistic ambitions in either the layman or the
Jonathan Karmel
Maslow’s hierarchy of needs intuitively strikes me as being a useful model of psychological development. Less obvious is what exactly is meant by the top of the pyramid: self-actualization. I didn’t have the patience or focus to read this entire book, which seemed vague and meandering at times to me. But I was very interested in the chapter titled, “Self-Actualizing People: A Study of Psychological Health.”

In the first chapter, “A ‘Psychological’ Approach to Science,” Maslow argues that scientis
Joanna
Feb 13, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books. Maslow basically explains in detail the characteristics of an emotionally healthy person. A good benchmark and inspiring.
Ilya Mrz
Apr 15, 2015 Ilya Mrz rated it really liked it
“What one *can* be, one *must* be!”

“They have become strong
enough to be independent
of the good opinion of
other people, or even
of their affection. The
honors, the status, the
rewards, the popularity,
the prestige, and the love
they can bestow must
have become less important
than self-development and
inner growth.”
~ Abraham Maslow

“Self-actualizing individuals have a genuine desire to help the human race.”
~ Abraham Maslow

=========================
1. Perception of Reality: These individuals tend to have a “
Caroline
Jul 21, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing
I found this incredibly meaningful, and optimistic about humanity and human potential. Also practical in a certain sense, in the way expansive and abstract issues can be managed in the context of mundane, quotidian life.
Kristo
Nov 16, 2012 Kristo rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book! If Maslow's hierarchy of needs sympathized you, then I'm quite sure this book has many ideas and new perspectives to give. A must read for the ones interested in psychology and motivation in my opinion.
Elise
May 24, 2016 Elise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-need-time, b_lead
This is an awesome book.
I have just read a few pages but every page I read it made perfect sense.
I don't have time now to read it but definitely will come back to read every single page.
I feel like this is one of a kind book where pretty much it explains so much about its subject and other books are just its expanded versions.
Ron Davison
Jul 09, 2008 Ron Davison rated it it was amazing
Maslow was such a full human being and in this book he reveals a great deal about how to experience life fully. A beautiful man and a beautiful book.
Aleh Piatrou
May 31, 2014 Aleh Piatrou rated it it was amazing
Общепринятое обывательское представление о пирамиде ценностей имеет мало общего с настоящими идеями автора.
Roman Tsegelskyi
Jan 03, 2016 Roman Tsegelskyi rated it really liked it
Awesome book. Especially liked the chapters about self actualization and love
Dessislava Arnaoudova
May 21, 2013 Dessislava Arnaoudova rated it it was amazing
Incredible book!
Brian Johnson
Oct 13, 2015 Brian Johnson rated it it was amazing
“What human beings can be, they must be.”

“They have become strong enough to be independent of the good opinion of other people, or even of their affection. The honors, the status, the rewards, the popularity, the prestige, and the love they can bestow must have become less important than self-development and inner growth.”

~ Abraham Maslow from Motivation and Personality

Abraham Maslow. The guy’s a rock star.

A 20th century humanistic psychologist to whom we owe thanks for the advent of the moder
TarasProkopyuk
Nov 21, 2014 TarasProkopyuk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Уверен, что многие слышали о «Пирамиде Маслоу». Но скорей всего о ней не слышал сам автор. А дело в том, что Абрахам Маслоу, когда писал свою революционную книгу «Мотивация и личность» видимо не ставил себе цель классифицировать потребности человека в том виде, который нам известен из всё той же «пирамиды Маслоу».

Не книга а просто находка, прорывная и действительно революционная работа. После неё в мире наступила новая эпоха с новыми подходами в изучении человеческой психологии. И собственно дан
Evan Leybourn
Oct 31, 2014 Evan Leybourn rated it liked it
While it reads like an academic treatise, it's a fascinating look at human motivation. This is Maslow's expression of his eponymously named Hierarchy of Needs; which has become more well known than the man himself. Though it has it's share of criticism, it is still a useful (if simple) model of human needs.

Worth a read for anyone interested is psychology and human motivation.
Mckinley
Apr 29, 2016 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: psych, self-help
Big part of Psych 101
Human potential movement. Personal and trans-personal psychology.
Hierarchy of needs - physical, psychological, self-actualization
Self-actualization people have reached highest level; only a few at this level but more via evolution
Motivation in workplace and of employee.
Too optimistic? Misses evil.
Ruth
Feb 09, 2016 Ruth added it
wally
Apr 23, 2011 wally rated it it was ok
Shelves: maslow
Theory that is relatively easy to understand. Everyone understands "basic needs" right? As I recall, I read this in conjunction w/Karen Horney's Neeurosis and Human Growth, the two somewhat complement each other, and as I recall, Horney goes more so, into the kind of things that happen, say in Measure for Measure...Duke Vincentio...who has presumably settled his "basic needs" as Maslow lays them out--

--this is sketchy, memory, and all...been a few years...but by basic, I recall really basic, tri
Yi Chen Chong
Interesting read, and his points were stated clearly. Not to say that I agree with them, but certainly a major work in psychology
Richard
Jul 02, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing
I went to grad school.
John
Dec 01, 2012 John rated it liked it
Rated: C+

This book is one of his classics. Not a primer for beginners but an advanced work for his colleagues. Good to ready directly about his understanding of the hierarchy of needs and self-actualization. This work was published in the 1950’s and it is amazing to look back and see just how far psychology had come by then as well as how far it has progressed since then.
Lillian E.
Sep 14, 2012 Lillian E. rated it it was amazing
required reading for all psych students and nursing /medical students. Insight into humnaistic view points and one's motivation on the road to self actualization. Short book, concise and in a sense a guide book.
Octavian
Nov 09, 2007 Octavian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all people interested in psychology
E o carte care accentueaza tendintele pozitive ale omului. maslow descrie in detaliu necesitatile umane explicand la ce duce frustrarea lor.
Ahmed Aldeen
Sep 18, 2011 Ahmed Aldeen is currently reading it
amazing and short book to understand more about your needs and others behaviors
Angela
Oct 30, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
There is no frill. Realism and human needs is tackled in a clear and universal way.
Jack
Dec 14, 2013 Jack rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed reading Maslow, for his focus on people at their best
Ivan Atanasov
Feb 22, 2015 Ivan Atanasov rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing book about human personality and motivation
Novia Erlita
this is a good book, but i do not know to get this book
Galadrieluss
Galadrieluss marked it as to-read
Kingsley Obeng
Kingsley Obeng marked it as to-read
Freezix
Freezix marked it as to-read
motivationscoaching 1 3 Jun 27, 2013 01:40PM
  • The Psychology of Intelligence
  • Our Inner Conflicts: A Constructive Theory of Neurosis
  • Science and Human Behavior
  • Freedom to Learn
  • The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler
  • Man for Himself: An Inquiry into the Psychology of Ethics
  • Psychology and Alchemy (Collected Works 12)
  • The Principles of Psychology, Vol 1
  • Conditioned Reflexes
  • How to Think Straight about Psychology
  • Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders
  • Alchemy: An Introduction to the Symbolism and the Psychology (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 5)
  • Maps of Narrative Practice
  • The Doctor and the Soul: From Psychotherapy to Logotherapy
  • Gestalt Therapy Verbatim
In 1908, Abraham H. Maslow was born, the first of seven children, to immigrant Russian Jewish parents, in New York City. He received his BA in 1930, his MA in 1931 and his Ph.D in 1934, all in psychology, from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Maslow taught full time at Brooklyn College, then at Brandeis, where he was named Chair of Psychology in 1951. Maslow, a humanist-based psychologist, is ...more
More about Abraham H. Maslow...

“Het is niet normaal om te weten wat we willen. Dat is een enorme en uitzonderlijke psychologische prestatie.” 6 likes