Start by marking “Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4)

Sword Song (The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories #4)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  12,057 ratings  ·  413 reviews
"Bernard Cornwell ranks as the current alpha male of testoterone-enriched historical fiction....This satisfying tale leaves you hungry for more of Uhtred's adventures." -USA Today

The year is 885, and England is at peace, divided between the Danish Kingdom to the north and the Saxon kingdom of Wessex in the south. Warrior by instinct and Viking by nature, Uhtred, the dispos

Published January 22nd 2008 by Harper (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sword Song, please sign up.

Ashley literally just finished it this morning, it was the one before this, the third in the series titled 'The Lords of the North'.

Hope this helps!
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Best Historical Fiction
242nd out of 4,846 books — 18,899 voters
The Last Kingdom by Bernard CornwellThe Pale Horseman by Bernard CornwellLords of the North by Bernard CornwellThe Burning Land by Bernard CornwellSword Song by Bernard Cornwell
Viking Historical Fiction
5th out of 64 books — 131 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookworm Sean
Uhtred has now become the Lord of War. He has earned his reputation and his wealth; he is beyond tried and tested; he is the master of his craft; he is the mighty Uhtred and he is a war lord.

"My helmet was a glorious thing, polished to an eye blinding shine, inlaid with silver and crested with a wolf’s head. The face plates were decorated with silver spirals. That helmet alone told an enemy I was a man of substance. If a man killed me and took the helmet he would instantly be rich, but my enemie
Nate
Cornwell still hasn't let me down with this series. The villains are still easy to hate and there were even characters I wholly liked (Pyrlig is great.) The relative lack of major events in Lords of the North made it a slower read for me than The Pale Horseman, and although this one seemed still primarily focused on the smaller stories of Uhtred and Æthelflæd there was a ton of action and purposeful movement.

I have to say that I'm proud of Uhtred. A whole 300+ pages and he didn't commit a single
Terri
How frustrating. After all the glowing reviews I have left on goodreads for the other books in this Saxon series (the books that precede Swordsong), I find myself in a painfully awkward situation.
I had a genuine love-hate relationship..wait!...love-hate is too strong..let's go with...like-dislike....so, I had a genuine like-dislike relationship with this book. I liked it, yes indeed, but I didn't like all of it and I didn't always like the way it made me feel. I want to try and expound on this,
Steve
An absolutely fascinating era in English history; one where the tides could so easily have turned and left England as Daneland. The historical place names and character names are pretty much real and add to the whole feel of the 9th century. Where a sickly, extremely pious, but sharp witted prince becomes not only a king, when he was not directly in line to take the throne. But becomes known as King Alfred The Great, despite his frail body and constant illness, and despite (or maybe, because of) ...more
Graham Crawford
It is a testament to Cornwell's craftsmanship that I enjoy hanging out with Uhtred. I know I should dislike him, he's vain, sullen, petty, often foolish, mostly brutal, and very occasionally, kind. And yet I am fond of him. I grimace when he falls for stupid tricks & when he is vicious without cause. I shake my head and smile when he tries to hide his real motivations from me with low cunning. Uhtred is a very clever, very flawed and very human creation.

So many writers of historical fiction
Mike
I can usually depend on Mr. Cornwell to provide a good read whenever I am unsure where I want to go next. Sadly, Sword Song barely measures up. Uhtred remains bound by his oath to serve King Alfred, is told to capture Lundene (London) and other tasks. The book pretty much plods along in a straight line, nothing surprises. Meh.
Georgina Ortiz
There are so many things to like about Mr. Cornwell's "Sword Song," but what stood out for me was (decidedly "pagan" and Thor devotee) Uthred's unlikely friendship with two priests: the fierce Welsh warrior Father Pyrlig and King Alfred's adviser and scholar Father Beocca.

Uhtred on choosing Father Pyrlig:
"On one side a kingdom, Viking friends and wealth, and on the other a Briton who was the priest of a religion that sucks joy from this world like dusk swallowing daylight. Yet I did not think. I
Samantha
In this fourth installment in the Saxon Warriors series, we find Uhtred continuing to struggle with his loyalties, faith, and destiny. While he feels more of a connection to the Norsemen, he remains paired with Alfred for inexplicable reasons. Uhtred is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, and he is a cruel one. Or, as my husband's short review summed up once I convinced him to read the first few books in the series, "Uhtred is kind of a jerk."

I still found myself amused by Uhtred's witty irreverence
Vagner Stefanello
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

Após ver a sua rixa com Kjartan chegar ao fim, Uhtred acha que poderá retomar Bebbanburg do controle de seu tio traidor. Isso acontece nesse livro? Mas é claro que NÃO! O autor Bernard Cornwell sempre nos reserva muitas surpresas e desta vez não foi diferente. Cinco anos se passaram desde a batalha em Dunholm e nosso protagonista é levado à Londres, onde os dinamarqueses, agora comandados pelos irmãos Erik e Sigefrid Thurgilson, ameaçam invadir toda W
Alicja
rating: 5.5/5

Ah, Cornwell, you did it yet again. Love, love, love this series!

Uhtred is a little less, uh, murderous in this one (which only means he doesn't kill unarmed -priests- in cold blood). It still has the humor brutality of war, vivid descriptions of life, Uhtred's spontaneous actions, and some new wonderful (and easily hated villainous) characters. A solid novel, highly enjoyable, that had me loving every single word.

And then *bam*, Cornwell actually managed to surprise me with a plot
Billy
Uhtred is one of the GREATEST literary figures ever created!,

The Saxon Chronicles, panned from the outset as Cornwell trying to return to his British roots, has proven to be a juggernaut that cannot be stopped by bad and, in this case, off-base, press reviews.

Book 4, 'Sword Song: The Battle for London', continues the story of Lord Uhtred, Saxon born, Dane raised, sworn man of King Alfred the great. In this installment, Uhtred fights to take London back from the invading Northemen, the Vikings.
Alex Telander
SWORD SONG: THE BATTLE FOR LONDON BY BERNARD CORNWELL: We last left Uhtred, in Lords of the North, apparently an ally with King Alfred, while the Vikings were making a very successful takeover of England, making it seem like there was little hope left for Alfred and his Saxon people. But Alfred has God on his side, and feels he will be ultimately victorious; Uhtred on the other hand, a pagan, cares little for this Christian religion, but is still a little unsure of where his allegiances lie.

Whi
Mark
I continue to enjoy this series. In the 9th century of what's now England, our rather unloveable, but still somehow endearing, rogue Uhtred of Bebbanburg continues the great conflict of his life. He likes the Danish invaders and yet continues to find himself aligned with the Saxons and King Alfred, with his dream of unifying the land into one greater kingdom, rather than just several disparate realms.

While reading this fourth volume it occurred to me that I have read some similar books before, a
Chuck
3.75-stars This wasn't as good as the previous installment, but it was still good; it's just the last one was REALLY good--I mean the last one had me welling up at the end: "Father! Father!" Ha-ha, I get into these books like a ten-year-old kid. Bring on number 5!
Chris
This was a solid entry in the Saxon Series, by Bernard Cornwell. While not as enjoyable as the second and third books, I liked this one. It kept me engaged for the most part, and wanting more story. So I’ll move on to The Burning Land soon enough, I hope.

One thing that did detract a little was the reader. For some reason, they changed narrators in the series with this book. I like the new reader, but he does pronounce several of the names differently than the previous reader. I often found mysel
Gui
I liked Sword Song a lot. I think it's my favorite in this series so far. The author said there was more fiction in this than in the previous novels, and I think that's why I liked it so much.

Bernard Cornwell is always faithful to historical sources in all of his works, but he's also a good story teller, so I really enjoyed the main plot in this which was mostly the author's invention.
Linda
This series of historical novels is set in 9th and 10th century Britain and focus on Alfred the Great and the creation of modern England. There are currently 8 books in the series, with the 9th due out in September 2014.
The story is told by Uhtred Uhtredson, the son of Saxon nobility in the North of England. Uhtred is a wonderful character, strong, forthright and honourable. He is captured by the invading Danes when he is just a child and is brought up by them. He then becomes a warrior for Kin
bookczuk
Given to me to read by HMcD. The author is a neighbor of hers. Even though this is part of a series (kind of like skipping to the end of a book to see how it ends) I found it not a problem at all to jump into this take of England during the time of Alfred the Great (9th Century). From what I've gathered, half Saxon,half Dane Uhtred was done out of his inheritance, raised by Vikings and is now sworn by oath to Alfred. In a time when Vikings and Saxons are at war (as well as Christianity and Pagan ...more
Susan
Uhtred appears again as Alfred's much maligned warlord with lots of gore and action. It's formulaic but I have to admit liking the action and even for one already steeped in the series there were surprises.i guess the author finally realised he has lots of women readers,so this plot has the softer edge with aethelfleds rather sad story. The names of course continue to annoy one..all those aethel this and that. Against the unvarnished gore and brutality of the fights, run the poetic beauty of Cor ...more
Ed
Mar 08, 2009 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction and Cornwell fans.
Recommended to Ed by: John Gregory
This is the fourth volume in the Saxon Tales series with Uhtred of Bebbanberg as the main protagonist.

It is, in my opinion, the least interesting of the four. The battle scenes, as in all Cornwell's writings, are drawn with extraordinary clarity. There are also some very interesting new characters, Siegfried and Erik, two Norsemen brothers plus an assortment of priests, warriors, and women.

The thread of the story involves the desire of Siegfried and Erik to conquer Wessex, Alfred the Great's ki
Carol Storm
I read a few of Bernard Cornwell's SHARPE books, and I liked them. But I wasn't totally blown away by them. But this book is amazing!

Everyone remembers the middle ages as knights jousting on horseback. But Cornwell in this series goes back hundreds of years earlier, to Saxons and Vikings battling over England with axes and shields. The amazing battle scenes are so researched that you totally become a part of this primitive, brutal style of warfare -- with the shield wall meeting the terrible sta
Jen
Nov 29, 2013 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
My love of these books goes against everything I know/love. Yet I do. They are the bad boy in the motorcycle jacket, and I'm the honor roll nerd (for the record, me and the honor roll were distant acquaintances at best). However, these books have no secret sorrow that only the love of a good woman can discover--it's just blood and some blood and some guts and some blood. Oddly, I find this totally okay.

Now Uhtred is beating up on more Danes in Lundene (or London). He kills a lot, tricks a lot of
Mark

In this next to last Saxon tale, Uhtred is once again back in Wessex, pledged to King Alfred despite his best intentions, and forced to watch as Alfred relies on his military skills, while sharing his kingdom with Uhtred's slimy cousin, Aethelred.

Aethelred was a real historical figure who probably behaved better than Cornwell has given him credit for, the author admits, but he needs a villain as a foil for his hero Uhtred. In this book, we encounter two more Norse warriors, the brothers Sigifred
Dawn
The fourth installment of this series sees Uhtred at 28, with a wife he loves and two children. Uhtred is as happy as he can be, considering his Uncle is still Lord of Bebbanburg and he's oath bound to Alfred.

There are more pious priests than ever before, not as much war and fighting, Alfred is even more annoying but there are several good characters added to the Danes side and the story ends with a bang.
This was a great book and it leaves me wanting to read more.
Garlan
Book 4 in the Alfred/Uhtred saga was another fast, fun read, full of pagans and pious political figures. Uhtred saves Alfred's army and country again while having to put up with Alfred's son-in-law and a host of other weak "leaders" who cause more harm than good. The fight scenes are barbaric and frenetic and seemingly endless. I can't wait to read the final book in the series and see how Uhtred gains back his freedom and his own kingdom. Another 4 star read.
Adriana
I was a bit disappointed with the beginning of this book, which was a bit silly. I nearly gave up reading it, but it got better and I started to familiarise myself again with the characters. Shame this time there were no more stories about St. Cuthbert. I was amused by some of the tales.
Nevertheless it’s a great series and I would like to think some of it was true. I guess it’s now time to go home, Urthred!

The saga of the Saxon Chronicles continues with Alfred's men fighting for a new kingdom (England) under the Vikings lordship. A new books is still coming in January 2010, The Burning Land. Despite the detailed description of some battles, it is quite interesting to learn about the emerging country which will play an important role in History, specially written by an accurate historical writer.
Csenge
I still love this series. Seriously, I feel like I'm repeating myself. Likeable characters, amazingly written fight scenes, a surprising amount of humor for such a dire setting, and strong women in unexpected places. There ya go. I'm on to the next book.
Patricia
What can I say that hasn't been said many times about these books? Wonderful stories! I love books that end with a climax that keeps you engaged to the last page and this one certainly does that with a surprise twist to the rescue of Ethelflaed.
Steven
Four books in and I still have not tired of the stories of Uthred of Bebbanburg. Very well written and very entertaining as the previous 3 books. Well done sir.
  • The White Raven (Oathsworn, #3)
  • Conqueror (Conqueror, #5)
  • When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3)
  • Odin's Wolves (Raven, #3)
  • King's Man (Viking, #3)
  • King's Man (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3)
Cornwell was born in London in 1944. His father was a Canadian airman, and his mother was English, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. After he left them, he changed his name to his mother's maiden name, Cornwe ...more
More about Bernard Cornwell...

The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories (9 books)
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
  • The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2)
  • Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3)
  • The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5)
  • Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6)
  • The Pagan Lord (The Saxon Stories, #7)
  • The Empty Throne (The Saxon Stories, #8)
  • Warriors of Darkness (The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories #9)
The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1) The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles, #1) The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2) Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3) The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)

“Love is a dangerous thing. It comes in disguise to change our life... Lust is the deceiver. Lust wrenches our lives until nothing matters except the one we think we love, and under that deceptive spell we kill for them, give all for them, and then, when we have what we have wanted, we discover that it is all an illusion and nothing is there. Lust is a voyage to nowhere, to an empty land, but some men just love such voyages and never care about the destination. Love is a voyage too, a voyage with no destination except death, but a voyage of bliss.” 12 likes
“Priests come to my home beside the northern sea where they find an old man, and they tell me I am just a few paces from the fires of hell. I only need repent, they say, and I will go to heaven and live forevermore in the blessed company of the saints.

And I would rather burn till time itself burns out.”
1 likes