Start by marking “Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  44 reviews

Three soldiers, three generations, finding love at Christmas

1812: A Christmas in Paradise

To save nurse Laura Ortiz from destitution, British naval surgeon Thomas Wilkie has made her an offer this Christmas—a marriage of convenience….

1855: O Christmas Tree

A generation later, it's Thomas and Laura's daughter, widowed lone mother Lilian, who's working as a nurse in the Crimea
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Home for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Home for Christmas

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Spending Christmas with three generations of the same family written by Carla Kelly was an enriching experience. Ms. Kelly explored the way that war affects families during wartimes. In the case of the Wilkie-Warton family, all three generations of the family have met during a war and married. I liked how Ms. Kelly took the very depressing concept of war and loss and used it as a backdrop to romances in development, and in a way that felt realistic and involved me emotionally. I especially appre ...more
Ridley
This was a surprisingly underwhelming collection from the usually quite reliable Carla Kelly. I'm rounding up to three stars for the book, but it's a weak three. The one major plus is has going for it is that two of the three stories are told exclusively from the hero's POV, which is quite unusual for romance.

A Christmas in Paradise - 2*

A marriage of convenience story that's short on romance and long on details of early 19th century doctoring. It's told from the British Navy hero's POV as he spe
Sophia
I was so thrilled when I found this Carla Kelly Christmas anthology. I am a huge fan of her books for both the wonderful historical authenticity she achieves without sounding like a textbook mingled with such strong characters and story lines. This is a series of short stories (that are fortunately not too short) all written by Carla Kelly. The stories are tied together because they each have the theme of the characters associated with the military while trying to get home for Christmas and beca ...more
Lady Wesley
Oh, Carla Kelly! You never let me down. These are three lovely stories covering three generations of husbands and wives and how they met and fell in love. No lords or ladies in sight -- just everyday people finding love in the midst of war. Great history, beautifully told.
Natalie
I happened to come across this book while I was searching online for books to read during the Christmas season. I've never read this author to my knowledge, but I'm always willing to give an author a try.

I wasn't disappointed by these trilogy of stories. The first was my favorite, however the other two are very good as well. All of the stories involve a couple who is working during wartime and only wishes to go home. They want to see their homeland, parents, siblings, children, etc. In addition
Karyn Gerrard
3.5 out of 5 rounded up to 4

QUICK TAKE: Interesting concept to have three different stories by the same author concerning the same family. (different generations) The first one was the best and the longest story. The other two were satisfactory reads. Carla Kelly delivers as always with deep emotion and as Christmas is a backdrop, lots of sentiment. The first story made me tear up as I am a sucker for emotional sentiment. Her characters are real, flaws and all. One hero, though good-looking enou
Susan
Fantastic book. I loved all three stories. The men were terrific doctors, with great compassion. I loved watching them as they took care of their patients and dealt with the world around them. I also loved their ladies. Each one of them was a loving, capable woman who was perfect for their man. I enjoyed the look at the politics and medicine of the eras.
Melissa
I love the way this author writes and the only reason I give it so little stars is the sexual content. The content is not awful, the couples are married but to me it shouldn't be detailed at all. These are three short stories that are about a family trying to get home for Christmas.
I would prefer the stories to be longer (my common complaint with anthologies), but it was Carla Kelly, so that's like wanted Hawaii to be more perfect. I really enjoyed Kelly's little American history jokes (like Trey saying no one should put George McClellan in charge of an army).
Debbie
This is the story of three generations of a family and the different wars that they are in. The first story is about a British sailor named Thomas Wilkie, who is captured in California in 1812. He meets his future bride, Laura Ortiz, there.
The second story is about their widowed daughter named Lillian. It is set in 1855 in the Crimea in Russia. Lillian is a nurse there and she meets her second husband,Major Trey Wharton.
The third story is about Lillian' son, Captain Wilkie Wharton. It is set in
namericanwordcat
It may seem out of season to read this book in the Spring but trust me this is a grand book for any time of the year. Carla Kelly is simply a treasure. Are you looking for a great Historical Romance Writer? Very few do it better than Carla Kelly. Her attention to historical detail, willingness to linger in uncommon eras with common people, and poignant sense of what it really means to fall in love with all the gritty, ordinary, and luminous parts included make her a not to be missed Romance writ ...more
Patsyann
Story #1 5 stars
A war, a wounded warrior. Love between a Scot and a Mexican, a loving family waiting at home - and warm weather in December - I love it!!!
True to Carla Kelly this story was told from the male perspective – his feelings his emotions. I always love Kelly heroes!! They are the strongest, courageous and romantic. Men who have that alpha moment that makes them true men!! This hero’s alpha moment was on a ship.
BEST USE OF AWARD: an earthquake
ALPHA MALE 10
SPUNKY HEROINE 7
SOME SEX for a
Brenda
I adore Carla Kelly's stories. I smile for hours after finishing one of her books. This one,...not so much. While the writing was obviously her style, the shortness of each of the stories stifled her storytelling magic she is so famous for. The first story was my favorite of the three. It had great background and imagery- but the romance was lost in all the other stuff. The second story had its high points too. I enjoyed the romance of friends falling in love and the Christmas tree lights scene ...more
Lynne Tull
A Christmas in Paradise was unparalleled when it comes to short stories. Actually, it was more of a novella. Carla Kelly has a masterpiece in this one. A complete novel without all of the filler. We has a couple of love scenes and a little education in California history and the Spanish Language. However, the story was wonderful without it. I was really regretting there wasn't an epilogue.

Then, I read the next story, which was a short one. It picked up with the next generation of this family. Th
Tressa
Coming Home for Christmas was enjoyable. All the short stories were satisfying, heart-warming, positive, and family-affirming. I liked how the stories interwove.
Doreen
I've made no secret of the fact that I love Carla Kelly's writing. The first story of hers I ever read was in a Christmas anthology; in the author's note to this one she says she always wanted to write a whole one on her own, so here it is.

The three stories are all linked; each one is about one generation of a family. Which makes it more than just a series of short stories. I particularly liked the way she has put letters from the previous generation at the start of each section, and finishes w
Li
I liked this collection very much - it left me with warm fuzzy feelings (and slightly teary-eyed a couple of times throughout), and I would totally recommend it for anyone who wants to get into the Christmas mood (yes, I read this in December!).

I remain impressed at how versatile Carla Kelly's writing is - each story was set in a different time period and location - and I loved the medical focus in this collection. I would have liked more to have been made of the family relationship that linked
Enjoyed these; I very much liked the medical aspect and the settings.
Megan
I'm sorry, I just couldn't finish this book. The first story was so boring, I'm only 20 pages away from the end of the first story and I can't can't read one more word. It's just plain boring, I don't care for either the H/h. I also didn't know these three stories would be war time stories (they're just not my thing). It has a great premise, three stories about three generations of Wilkie/Wharton H/h's, however, they are also all three war-time stories. I'm glad other people have enjoyed these, ...more
Anna Huber
These three short stories featuring three generations of the same family and set during three military conflicts (the Napoleonic Wars, the Crimean War, and the Indian Wars) will warm your spirits this holiday season. No one writes like Carla Kelly. Her characters are warm, engaging, and real, and she truly makes history come alive. So curl up by the Christmas tree, and enjoy this collection of her novellas. They will be certain to warm you from head to toe.
Katherine O'Grady
A lovely trio of stories. Ms. Kelly delivers, as always.

Bought from Eharlequin.
Tausha
I was so disappointed with this book. I have read several books by Carla Kelly and have really liked them. I was excited to find this one...until I got into it. I am so saddened that someone with such talent and influence would write a book with so much adult content. I didn't realize she wrote books like this and will be much more careful in the future. NOT A CLEAN READ no need to finish it.
Shelley
Three stories about three generations finding love at Christmas. The first story established the family, and I liked it, and the third story was completely from the hero's pov, which is so rare. I liked all the characters, but the stories themselves were underwhelming. Everything slipped by perfectly due to time constraints. Still, yay Carla Kelly.
Amanda Caswell
This is simply a collection of three novellas that each tell the story of a different generation of the same family that finds love at Christmas time in the middle of a war. They're pretty good, but it's harder for Kelly to really shine in so few pages--her great strength is the depth of her characters and their stories.
KarenF
Three lovely short romances featuring three generations of the same family. I feel like the first story was the most fleshed out but my only real complaint about the other two is that I wished they were longer. I really liked the characters and wanted to get to know them and their backgrounds even more than I did.
Angie
Really enjoyed the first story, but didn't read the others. I love her writing and characters, but sometimes she describes more than I like. I would rather imagine it for myself. I did appreciate that these characters were married however.
Lisa
When I saw Carla Kelly wrote this I bought it without knowing another thing about it. I'll know to look a little closer next time. She's a wonderful writer, but this time she just includes too much of an intimate nature. Disappointing.
Cecilia
As you would expect from Carla Kelly, the characters are all sweet, kind, and hard-working. I enjoyed this book, but each story was short, and ultimately not as satisfying as even one of her old regencies. 3.5
  • Live (Burnside, #1)
  • A Regency Christmas: Scarlet Ribbons\ Christmas Promise\ A Little Christmas (Harlequin Historical Series)
  • Kiss the Bride (Includes: Amour et Chocolat, #0.5)
  • His Road Home
  • Western Winter Wedding Bells
  • Sun-Kissed (Amour et Chocolat, #7; Snow Queen, #2)
  • Hester Waring's Marriage
  • Christmas Revels
  • Gift-Wrapped Governess: Christmas at Blackhaven Castle\Governess to Christmas Bride\Duchess by Christmas
  • Beyond Repair
  • Snowflakes and Stetsons
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • The Famous Heroine (Stapleton-Downes, #5)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Fallen Angel
  • Artistic License
  • A Countess by Christmas
  • Wild West Christmas: A Family for the Rancher\Dance with a Cowboy\Christmas in Smoke River

Although Carla Kelly is well known among her readers as a writer of Regency romance, her main interest (and first writing success) is Western American fiction—more specifically, writing about America's Indian Wars. Although she had sold some of her work before, it was not until Carla began work in the National P
More about Carla Kelly...
Borrowed Light (Borrowed Light #1) Reforming Lord Ragsdale Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand My Loving Vigil Keeping The Admiral's Penniless Bride