Start by marking “The Steranko History of Comics, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Steranko History of Comics, Vol. 1

The Steranko History of Comics, Vol. 1 (The Steranko History of Comics #1)

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  6 reviews
2 volumes published 1970 & 1972.
Published 1970 by Supergraphics Publication

To ask other readers questions about The Steranko History of Comics, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Steranko History of Comics, Vol. 1

Paul Mirek
5 stars may be pushing it, but it's a topic close to my own heart, and Steranko is a singularly captivating narrator (just see https://twitter.com/iamsteranko). His aim here seems to be more encyclopedic than overview, covering not only major innovations in the form but also the waves of imitators they inspired. The inclusions from the original sources sometimes boggle the mind (4 (oversized) pages of Shadow prose excerpts?), and I would have liked to see more interior art from the titles mentio ...more
Ricardo Lane
This was probably the first book ABOUT comics that I ever read. The campus for the University of Pittsburgh branch in my town was across the street from my house, and the university library as a two minute walk from my back door. Back in the day, locals could borrow books from there with their public library card, and I found that they had numerous books on the history of the genre there that I took out constantly to pour over.

I've read numerous books about the comics industry in the intervenin
T. B.
This is realley interesting, and I learned lot! World War Two was a key point in the development of superheros, but this goes back earlier than that in places. It is not an easy read in places, not like my usual fiction books. But I wanted a change. I always read comics and sometimes still do. But I didn't know anything about their history. The authoer goes over the development of Superman, Batman, The Shadow, The Spider, and lots of other characters I never knew existed! It is very cool stuff! ...more
Paul
The Steranko History of Comics... according to Steranko :-)
Kidding asside, this is a pretty good go-to book to find out things about the (pre?)-history of comic books, meaning the pulp era.
Though nowhere near complete, it's still a great "search" book.
My only qualm is that it's too darn big with pages matching the size of most newstand papers (think National Enquierer), and printed on cheap paper, meaning that everytime you consult it for information, you're risking damaging it... and believe me
Serge Pierro
This is legendary artist Jim Steranko's History of Comics. This oversize book has lots of interesting examples from the Golden Age of comics. Highlights include full page examples of: Hal Foster's "Prince Valiant", Alex Raymond's "Flash Gordon" and Burne Hogarth's "Tarzan". Also, numerous Pulp and Golden Age covers throughout the book.
Steve
Great book that, along with the Jules Feiffer's THE GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES, introduced me to and taught me about some of the characters and creators I had never known before. If you can find the Steranko books I highly recommend you grab them.
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jack
Jack added it
Aug 30, 2014
Matan
Matan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Alexa
Alexa added it
May 30, 2014
Yasir Husain
Yasir Husain marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Phoenix
Phoenix marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Başar
Başar marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Printable Tire
Printable Tire marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
William  Cairns
William Cairns marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
David Winston
David Winston marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Williwaw
Williwaw marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
195125
James Steranko is an American graphic artist, comic book writer-artist-historian, magician, publisher and film production illustrator who has work for decades till the present.
More about Jim Steranko...

The Steranko History of Comics (2 books)
  • The Steranko History of Comics, Vol. 2
Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Who is Scorpio? S.H.I.E.L.D. by Jim Steranko: The Complete Collection Marvel Visionaries: Jim Steranko The Steranko History of Comics, Vol. 2