Start by marking “Le fils de nulle part” as Want to Read:
Le fils de nulle part

Le fils de nulle part

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Le Bois Maudit ronge le cœur du royaume depuis plus de mille ans. Depuis plus de mille ans, les plus nobles et les plus valeureux héros ont tenté d’atteindre le Donjon Rouge maléfique au centre de la forêt pour vaincre la malédiction et obtenir ainsi la récompense promise par le roi Astin IV: exaucer n’importe lequel de leurs vœux. Aucun n’est revenu. Jusqu’à MarkForgeron,...more
Paperback, Icares, 270 pages
Published May 29th 2009 by Éditions Mnémos (first published January 28th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Le fils de nulle part, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le fils de nulle part

Stephen
3.5 stars. Beautifully written and very original fantasy story. I wish I could rate it higher because I really applaud the originality of the narrative. However, from a pure enjoyment standpoint, I can only go between 3 and 4 stars. Stillthis is one I recommend as it is different from your standard fantasy fare. Recommended!!!
ambyr
If I could only pick coming of age novel to keep, to reread, to introduce to others, it would be this one. It does a beautiful job portraying the interior work and realizations that come with growing up, the need to accept and move beyond the scars of childhood (and the way you can't, and the way you have to try anyway). The descriptions are lush and real; it's a Generic Renaissance Fantasy Land, but one whose rivers and hills I can see.

I love all of the characters in their prickly glory, and th...more
Cera
There's so much I want to say about this book that I don't know where to start.

I'm fond of novels in which there are puzzles for the characters to solve, and especially fond when the solutions are not arrived at by pure logic, but instead by intuitive gestalts of a lot of pieces -- like reading a sonnet in which the ending is exactly the ending that had to be there. This book does that, for me, and it's almost all in the first chapter, in which Shielder's Mark sets off in fairy-tale fashion to b...more
Katie
Jul 01, 2013 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Patricia McKillip
I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would. It's... not a coming of age exactly, since the main character is twenty-one, but a growing up story. Common-born Shielder's Mark breaks the curse of the Ghostwood seeking fame and wealth, but the unforeseen consequences of his actions teach him about the meanings of faith, friends, and most of all, family. It sounds trite, but the depth of the characters and the skill of the writing save it from being overbearing in its message. This book is i...more
Margaret
In Nobody's Son, Sean Stewart picks up where fairy tales leave off. The commoner Shielder's Mark has just broken a thousand-year-old curse on the castle of Red Keep, but when he travels to the king's court to claim his reward, everything is more complicated than he expected: he gains the king's youngest daughter, but loses the sword he won in Red Keep -- and even winning the princess is more trouble than Mark could have guessed.

Stewart's characters are vividly alive, and he traces their relatio...more
Wealhtheow
Loved the nuanced, interesting characters. Character development=excellent! Loved the magic system. Loved the dialog, which hearkened back to a yeoman-era, but never felt artificial.

Will review more fully when/if I have time.
CekMoNSter
Probably the hardest book to understand in terms of language and plot that I`ve ever read.
The writing wasn`t as smooth as I had for Stewart`s Firecracker(although the book was as hard to crack as this one)..I`m blaming this on my own shortcoming when it comes to English language..The English was archaic as it can be on Shakespeare`s period..Very old, but less poetry(compared to the big man).

In term of plot, I would say the story passed because I get a happy ending! Thats a relief when reaching a...more
Phoenixfalls
The premise sounds a bit juvenile and silly, and the book is anything but. It is moving and lyrical and raises questions about family and identity that are rarely addressed. It is a coming-of-age tale in the absolute best sense, and has wonderful things to say about how our past shapes us.
ingenue
Ye faux olde-timey dialogue be a wee bit o' troublin' stuff to read for well night o'er a good two hunnerd pages n'more, if'n ye gets me meanin', like.
Robert
A strange book in many ways. It begins as an amusing fantasy with lots of funny lines. Then comes the erotic part with the strongest sexual tension I've read in ages - I'm amazed it was voted Best Young Adult Novel of the Year. Then we come to the hard part where I would expect any YA to throe the book down - I barely persevered myself through the god stuff - all the time, I felt someone was trying to stick a moral up my nose and I just wasn't getting it. Finally, after much torturous allegory,...more
Nicholas Barone
This 1993 novel won the Aurora award for best Speculative fiction as well as the Canadian Library Association award for best young adult novel.

Upon the ruins of the Red Keep there lies a curse which haunts the surrounding forest. For generations the kingdom's greatest champions have gone into the Ghostwood to attempt to break the curse without success. Mark is a young commoner who was abandoned by his father at a young age. He has spent his youth honing himself to be warrior - one who can break...more
Althea Ann
I got this book because it was listed as a recommendation for people who like retellings of, or new takes on classic fairy tales.
I agree with the recommendation, and I liked many things about the book. It deals with what happens after the hero gets the title, the lands and the princess... "Happily Ever After" isn't always that simple. I liked how the simple country lad has to deal with the cutthroat politics of court, and 'his' princess, Gail, is a woman with a mind of her own.
The plot is just...more
Kevin
I really want to give this five stars. Nobody's Son follows the story of Shielder's Mark, a poor orphan who sets out on a quest to rid the kingdom of the plague of an enchanted forest and magical tower that have threatened the people for a millennium. Unsurprisingly, he succeeds. But that's just the first chapter. The real story of Nobody's Son is how Mark then learns to deal with life after he accomplishes this, politics, romance, and his loss of purpose. Mark is an incredibly deep and very rea...more
Barbara Gordon
Blurb: Suddenly Shielder's Mark is living a fairy tale come true. A commoner's son, he has broken the spell of Red Keep. Now he can collect the hero's reward promised by the king--whatever Mark names. Smitten, he names the king's daughter.
That's where his fairy tale ends.
The hero's sword he claimed at Red Keep is taken from him. He finds himself scorned and hated by the king's court. And though he is allowed to marry the beautiful princess, she may not be such a prize after al.
A hero's life and...more
D.harrow
A refreshing, upending of classic fantasy tropes and the hero's journey. Riveting, humourous and quite dark in places there is a lot that Nobody's Son does right. The dialogue stands out and credit should be given to the author and his use of authentic dialects. However, the book does suffer pacing issues and certain characters who were endearing at the start very quickly grate on the reader. The book falls firmly in the Young Adult category and although at times it strays too far into the alleg...more
Kristi Thompson
andrea
i first read this about a decade ago and picked it up tonight again, remembering i liked it quite a bit. the story is basically about what happens to the hero after he gets his happily ever after, though we do get a bit of the part that makes him a hero to begin with. it's not a great book - the pace wasn't very steady at times, the mean duke was pretty easily vanquished, there were some scenes (ahem, 'ashes') that went on too long - but it's a book with a lot of heart. mark has to grow up, find...more
Robert Runte
Sean Stewart's "Nobody's Son" is unique fantasy in two ways: First, the whole beat the monster, win hand of the princess story is covered off in the first two chapters. Then the rest of the book deals with "happily ever after" where hero discovers princess may not be that keen on him, and he doesn't really know how to administer his third of the kingdom. Second, the book is quite explicitly about the abandonment issues of boys raised by single moms. Give to any boy you know how's dad has left.
Angela
I liked the concepts in this book. such s the traditional adventure is only the first chapter and the rest is learning to live with what comes next. Only two stars because it's the sort of book I am glad to have read but I have no desire to reread it. Once was enough. On the other hand I like Nightwatch enough to have reread it a minimum of three times.
Janalynn
One of my favorite books. Mark, the Hero, is so focused on being someone so his son won't be the son of a nobody. It is all about what a father or father figure can do/teach. It is YA but if you are at all squeemish, you might consider passing on this one. I would rather no one read it that everyone read it and not like it.
Joy
This is a clever and often very funny look at what happens after happily ever after. I suspect it's smarter than I'm realizing; I read it awfully fast, and this is Sean Stewart. Not my favorite Stewart (that remains The Night Watch) but a nice solid read.
Cindy
This one is lighter than any other Stewart I've read - categorized as YA whether intentional or not. A fairy tale that doesn't end with the hero winning the princess - it continues with more adventure and a likable coming of age story. (May 03, 2006)
Melissa
a nice little story. it had a slowish start (due to trying to sort out the language/dialect) but i quickly became invested in the characters and the story. for a young adult book, it was sweet and had some pretty good depth!
Rodger Nelson
I loved the ending of this book. ^.^ got to love when I guy just says hell with it I am done playing politics and pretty much throws down the gauntlet in front of a guy who he beat...
Diana
Interesting take on what happens "ever after"... really. Esp. when you have a hero who used to be a farmboy, a haunted castle, and bloodthirsty politicians.
Vivien
It's about ten years since I read this, but I adored it, then-- it tells the story of what happens after happily ever after.
Beca
I love this book so, so much. It's raw and real
And painful and gorgeous. Like real life, i suppose.
Sasha
Another great Sean Stewart book. What happens *after* happy ever after?
Pam
Cheese - E Poorly written.
  • Golden Fleece
  • Spaceman Blues: A Love Song
  • Courtship Rite
  • Permanence
  • One for the Morning Glory
  • The Man Who Bridged the Mist
  • The Cauldron of Fear (Lone Wolf, #9)
  • Lost Things (The Order of the Air, #1)
  • In the Company of Others
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
  • Legends 2 (Legends 1, Volume 2of3)
  • The Bell at Sealey Head
  • The Gate Of Ivory (Ivory #1)
  • The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1)
  • Rocco
  • Cat Scratch Fever (Cat Scratch, #1)

Sean Stewart (born June 2, 1965) is a U.S.-Canadian science fiction and fantasy author.

Born in Lubbock, Texas, Sean Stewart moved to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in 1968. After stints in Houston, Texas, Vancouver, British Columbia, Irvine, California and Monterey, California,...more
More about Sean Stewart...
Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #7) Cathy's Ring (Cathy Vickers Trilogy, #3) Galveston Mockingbird Perfect Circle

“Look for Joy: that's God's echo, and his footprint. Happiness . . . happiness and wittiness and cleverness do not count for much when the darkness falls. Joy is tougher.” 4 likes
“Memories haunted the Ghostwood, brittle as the twigs that splintered like tiny bones under Mark's boots. Sifting through drooping cedar boughs, the old wind muttered of things that waited in darkness without hope. To every question the Ghostwood had but one answer, made from sorrow, and loneliness, and time.” 3 likes