Start by marking “Rise: Stories” as Want to Read:
Rise: Stories

Rise: Stories

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The stories in Rise are fairytales, except that the witch, lucky Hans, and the frog prince are characters at the fringes of everyday life. There are rockets, swells of starlings, and children who disappear into thin air. L. Annette Binder writes magical tales with authority and restraint, and we believe her stories, every one.

"The complex interweaving of themes, rendered t
Published August 7th 2012 by Sarabande Books

To ask other readers questions about Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise

Mark Stevens
Honest. Clear. Raw. Cliché-free.

There’s a tone and weight to Binder's prose. The stories dig deep into the psyche of their main characters. Point of view reigns over plot, though there is action and movement too. Ailments, disease and various medical “conditions” give these stories an underlying sense of a world turned inward, of a planet of people focused on what anatomical functions aren’t working.

Most of the characters have modest, under-the-radar lives. Binder has the ability to peer deep in
Hestia
Amazing! This book has encouraged me to write short stories as well. ^_^
Ian
I received this as a birthday present from my sister and was a little puzzled why she’d bought it until I remembered it was on my wishlist. Then I wondered why it was on my wishlist. A small press collection of literary/fantasy stories – not my usual choice of reading material. I eventually worked out – with help – that I’d seen a review of it on Larry Nolen’s blog and it must have taken my fancy enough for me to wishlist it. And yes, it was a pretty good call. The fourteen stories in this colle ...more
Rachel
Aug 14, 2012 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I won this book from the Goodreads drawing. My first impression of the book was that it has amazing embossing inside the cover. It adds to the whimsy of the book.

You really need to be in the right frame of mind to read this book. I wasn't sure what I was getting exactly so I sat down thinking I was just reading a story. It is actually broken up into several stories.

If you like poetry you will love this book. It would make a great literary discussion group book. Looking into the meaning of each
Marnie Lansdown
Rise was a finalist for the Colorado Book Award. Full disclosure: the nonprofit I work for administers the CBA. I heard Annette read at an book awards event, and I was intrigued. When I started the book, though, I still wasn't sure what to expect or if I would enjoy it. I admit that I generally do not appreciate short story collections. Writing short stories strikes me as one of the hardest feats for a writer; how to pull in the reader in so few words? How to make characters seem alive and inter ...more
Kim Triedman
I really liked these short stories. There is magic in them, and a deep, dark undercurrent of folklore, and the writing is both sharp and surprising. The collection as a whole felt cohesive, and there was not a single story I didn’t enjoy. This is clearly a talented young writer – this is her debut collection – and one I intend to follow. Her stories come out of seemingly mundane occurrences, but to a one they are exalted by a quality of the surreal which imbues in them a kind of quiet danger or ...more
Sanchi
I won this book on good reads from first reads. I did finish this about a week ago, but wanted to reflect on the book before doing this review. I loved the cover and the stories were a little different then what I normally read so I personally had a struggle staying on task with this one. I do not want to disrespect short stories however. This book is well put together and I rated 3 out of 5 stars for this. I am donating this book to a short story program at our local nursing home so that people ...more
R11449
This is a collection of short stories, all set in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I thought the stories were beautifully written, and shockingly moving. Several of them -- Nephilim, Dead Languages, and especially Lay My Head, made me cry. Interestingly, the stories all seem to involve contemporary characters, but many also appear to be retellings of fairy tales I read (or was read) as a child. Because of the way they are written and the familiar setting, the emotional distance one usually has to fai ...more
Christine K
I enjoyed this collection pretty thorougly. I won this book through Goodreads giveaways. This is a collection of short stories that have a bit of a darkness to them, a grit. There are a few in this collection that I couldn't quite pinpoint from stories I've heard which made me want to pick up a folk lore book and do some research. I haven't yet, but I'm likely to come back to bookmarks in the future and do so; Which says a lot bc I usually am not sucked in to short stories for much longer than a ...more
Katie
Quiet, dreamy, unexpectedly moving stories.
Michael Estey
Rise
Author: L. Annette Binder

What a strange tale, with lots of eerie visuals, funerals, baby birds, autism what’s it all about.
L.Annette Binder is a very fine writer and knows how to get to the bones of a subject.
Something you and I would never give notice, she goes into depth,
describing every little detail and in some way drags you into this collection of imaginary tales.
Strange is the only word I have to describe it.
Worth the read.
Dog Brindle

dogbrindlebarks.blogspot.ca
Byron Wright
I picked this book up on a whim and was happily surprised. This is a collection of short stories that have a very strong emotional pull. And not in a Chicken Soup for the Soul kind of way.

Each short story vividly captures a moment in someone's life. I felt myself completely enveloped in each little world.

As a side note, because it is emotionally charged, it's not the best for bedtime reading.
Angela
Several of the short stories in this collection are worthy of five stars, and as a whole, I enjoyed the collection's theme, a contemporary retelling of classic fairy tales. Binder's writing shows a remarkable amount of restraint and never allows the overall theme to overpower her prose or get in the way of her superbly polished stories. I look forward to reading more from Binder in the future.
Meagan Fischer

I picked this book up on a whim at the library, not expecting too much. I've never heard of nor ready anything by the author. I couldn't put it down. I loved how each time I finished a story I was left wanting more; a few of the stories made me tear up. It's so rare that I find an author that can evoke such emotions from me.
Jessica
These are dark tales about very lonely souls. I found that many of the tales took on a slightly spooky, maybe even sinister, quality if read right before bedtime. Standouts for me were "Sea of Tranquility" (which may be the only uplifting tale in the book) and "Nephilim."
Randi
This collection wasn't what I expected, so I spent the first couple of stories a little disappointed. However, the more I read, the more I was drawn in. This is a very lovely, quietly evocative collection. Ideal for fans of Dan Chaon.
Martha
Beautifully written short stories. It took a few stories before I really started to enjoy it, though. As others have noted, the stories tend not to have real plots or resolutions. They're almost more like vignettes.
Bojan
Boring.
Amanda Byrne
Lovely little nuggets of literary goodness. But fairy tales they are not. Not even close.
Katie
Excellent debut with multiple standout stories that will haunt and influence me.
Patricia Geller
A moving book of short stories by a talented writer - each one a little gem.
Rebekah
Nephilim: *****
Halo: *****
Sea of Tranquility: *****
Sidewinder: *****

Linda
Pretty good for short stories, but I would NOT call them fairy tales.
Bfergusonwpg
Rich, sensory journeys in crystalline detail. Each one seems perfect.
Anthea
Loved this. "Dead Languages" alone made me want to buy the book.
Eli Tubbs
Eli Tubbs marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2010 Edition
  • The PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2012: Including stories by John Berger, Wendell Berry, Anthony Doerr, Lauren Groff, Yi
  • The Cutting Room: Dark Reflections of the Silver Screen
  • Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury
  • The Best of Kim Stanley Robinson
  • Jealousy: The Other Life of Catherine M.
  • Black Dahlia & White Rose: Stories
  • Parsifal
  • Twenty-First Century Science Fiction
  • WTF Are Men Thinking?: 250,000 Men Reveal What Women Really Want to Know
  • Black Vodka: Ten Stories
L. Annette Binder was born in Germany and grew up in Colorado Springs.

Her fiction has won a Pushcart Prize, a PEN/O. Henry Prize and has been performed on NPR's "Selected Shorts." Her stories have appeared in One Story, American Short Fiction, The Southern Review, Fairy Tale Review, and others.
More about L. Annette Binder...
Cuentos para Algernon: Año I The O. Henry Prize Stories 2013