Start by marking “Rise: Stories” as Want to Read:
Rise: Stories

Rise: Stories

The stories in Rise are fairytales, except that the witch, lucky Hans, and the frog prince are characters at the fringes of everyday life. There are rockets, swells of starlings, and children who disappear into thin air. L. Annette Binder writes magical tales with authority and restraint, and we believe her stories, every one.

"The complex interweaving of themes, rendered t
Published August 7th 2012 by Sarabande Books

To ask other readers questions about Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise

Melki
Have you ever seen something so amazing, so incredible, that you know you'll never find the words to describe it?

It happened to me a few weeks ago on one of those perfect fall mornings that start out foggy and eerie before the clouds clear away and it turns into an unbelievably lovely day. It was about 10:30 and the sun was just beginning to peep through the gloom. I noticed a dozen turkey vultures circling my neighbor's house. The birds in the foreground were the usual drab color, but the ones
Mark Stevens
Jul 19, 2013 Mark Stevens rated it it was amazing
Honest. Clear. Raw. Cliché-free.

There’s a tone and weight to Binder's prose. The stories dig deep into the psyche of their main characters. Point of view reigns over plot, though there is action and movement too. Ailments, disease and various medical “conditions” give these stories an underlying sense of a world turned inward, of a planet of people focused on what anatomical functions aren’t working.

Most of the characters have modest, under-the-radar lives. Binder has the ability to peer deep in
Hestia Sky
May 06, 2014 Hestia Sky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Amazing! This book has encouraged me to write short stories as well. ^_^
Ian
Jun 10, 2013 Ian rated it liked it
I received this as a birthday present from my sister and was a little puzzled why she’d bought it until I remembered it was on my wishlist. Then I wondered why it was on my wishlist. A small press collection of literary/fantasy stories – not my usual choice of reading material. I eventually worked out – with help – that I’d seen a review of it on Larry Nolen’s blog and it must have taken my fancy enough for me to wishlist it. And yes, it was a pretty good call. The fourteen stories in this colle ...more
Rachel
Aug 08, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I won this book from the Goodreads drawing. My first impression of the book was that it has amazing embossing inside the cover. It adds to the whimsy of the book.

You really need to be in the right frame of mind to read this book. I wasn't sure what I was getting exactly so I sat down thinking I was just reading a story. It is actually broken up into several stories.

If you like poetry you will love this book. It would make a great literary discussion group book. Looking into the meaning of each
Marnie Lansdown
Aug 07, 2013 Marnie Lansdown rated it it was amazing
Rise was a finalist for the Colorado Book Award. Full disclosure: the nonprofit I work for administers the CBA. I heard Annette read at an book awards event, and I was intrigued. When I started the book, though, I still wasn't sure what to expect or if I would enjoy it. I admit that I generally do not appreciate short story collections. Writing short stories strikes me as one of the hardest feats for a writer; how to pull in the reader in so few words? How to make characters seem alive and inter ...more
Kim Triedman
Feb 02, 2013 Kim Triedman rated it it was amazing
I really liked these short stories. There is magic in them, and a deep, dark undercurrent of folklore, and the writing is both sharp and surprising. The collection as a whole felt cohesive, and there was not a single story I didn’t enjoy. This is clearly a talented young writer – this is her debut collection – and one I intend to follow. Her stories come out of seemingly mundane occurrences, but to a one they are exalted by a quality of the surreal which imbues in them a kind of quiet danger or ...more
Sanchi
Jul 30, 2012 Sanchi rated it liked it
I won this book on good reads from first reads. I did finish this about a week ago, but wanted to reflect on the book before doing this review. I loved the cover and the stories were a little different then what I normally read so I personally had a struggle staying on task with this one. I do not want to disrespect short stories however. This book is well put together and I rated 3 out of 5 stars for this. I am donating this book to a short story program at our local nursing home so that people ...more
R11449
Sep 07, 2012 R11449 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of short stories, all set in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I thought the stories were beautifully written, and shockingly moving. Several of them -- Nephilim, Dead Languages, and especially Lay My Head, made me cry. Interestingly, the stories all seem to involve contemporary characters, but many also appear to be retellings of fairy tales I read (or was read) as a child. Because of the way they are written and the familiar setting, the emotional distance one usually has to fai ...more
Michael Estey
Dec 09, 2012 Michael Estey rated it really liked it
Rise
Author: L. Annette Binder

What a strange tale, with lots of eerie visuals, funerals, baby birds, autism what’s it all about.
L.Annette Binder is a very fine writer and knows how to get to the bones of a subject.
Something you and I would never give notice, she goes into depth,
describing every little detail and in some way drags you into this collection of imaginary tales.
Strange is the only word I have to describe it.
Worth the read.
Dog Brindle

dogbrindlebarks.blogspot.ca
Christine K
Aug 01, 2012 Christine K rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this collection pretty thorougly. I won this book through Goodreads giveaways. This is a collection of short stories that have a bit of a darkness to them, a grit. There are a few in this collection that I couldn't quite pinpoint from stories I've heard which made me want to pick up a folk lore book and do some research. I haven't yet, but I'm likely to come back to bookmarks in the future and do so; Which says a lot bc I usually am not sucked in to short stories for much longer than a ...more
Byron Wright
Nov 05, 2012 Byron Wright rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up on a whim and was happily surprised. This is a collection of short stories that have a very strong emotional pull. And not in a Chicken Soup for the Soul kind of way.

Each short story vividly captures a moment in someone's life. I felt myself completely enveloped in each little world.

As a side note, because it is emotionally charged, it's not the best for bedtime reading.
Meagan Fischer
Nov 12, 2012 Meagan Fischer rated it it was amazing

I picked this book up on a whim at the library, not expecting too much. I've never heard of nor ready anything by the author. I couldn't put it down. I loved how each time I finished a story I was left wanting more; a few of the stories made me tear up. It's so rare that I find an author that can evoke such emotions from me.
Angela
Jul 24, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Several of the short stories in this collection are worthy of five stars, and as a whole, I enjoyed the collection's theme, a contemporary retelling of classic fairy tales. Binder's writing shows a remarkable amount of restraint and never allows the overall theme to overpower her prose or get in the way of her superbly polished stories. I look forward to reading more from Binder in the future.
Randi Kennedy
Aug 05, 2012 Randi Kennedy rated it really liked it
This collection wasn't what I expected, so I spent the first couple of stories a little disappointed. However, the more I read, the more I was drawn in. This is a very lovely, quietly evocative collection. Ideal for fans of Dan Chaon.
Jessica
Mar 26, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
These are dark tales about very lonely souls. I found that many of the tales took on a slightly spooky, maybe even sinister, quality if read right before bedtime. Standouts for me were "Sea of Tranquility" (which may be the only uplifting tale in the book) and "Nephilim."
Martha
Jun 30, 2013 Martha rated it really liked it
Beautifully written short stories. It took a few stories before I really started to enjoy it, though. As others have noted, the stories tend not to have real plots or resolutions. They're almost more like vignettes.
Brian Ferguson
Dec 02, 2012 Brian Ferguson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rich, sensory journeys in crystalline detail. Each one seems perfect.
Linda
Nov 30, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Pretty good for short stories, but I would NOT call them fairy tales.
Katie
Jun 24, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Quiet, dreamy, unexpectedly moving stories.
Anthea
Loved this. "Dead Languages" alone made me want to buy the book.
Katie
Nov 03, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
Excellent debut with multiple standout stories that will haunt and influence me.
Amanda Byrne
Jul 05, 2013 Amanda Byrne rated it really liked it
Lovely little nuggets of literary goodness. But fairy tales they are not. Not even close.
Leslea
Feb 21, 2014 Leslea rated it liked it
3.5
Bojan
May 17, 2015 Bojan rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-story
Boring.
Mary Laing
Mary Laing rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Antonina Mareglia
Antonina Mareglia rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Aaron Cance
Aaron Cance rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Terry
Terry rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2013
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Ghosts: Recent Hauntings
  • The PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2012: Including stories by John Berger, Wendell Berry, Anthony Doerr, Lauren Groff, Yi
  • Jealousy: The Other Life of Catherine M.
  • The Cutting Room: Dark Reflections of the Silver Screen
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2015
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2014
  • Black Vodka: Ten Stories
  • A Busy Clearing
L. Annette Binder was born in Germany and grew up in Colorado Springs.

Her fiction has won a Pushcart Prize, a PEN/O. Henry Prize and has been performed on NPR's "Selected Shorts." Her stories have appeared in One Story, American Short Fiction, The Southern Review, Fairy Tale Review, and others.
More about L. Annette Binder...