Start by marking “The Clan of the Cave Bear, Part 1 of 2 (Earth's Children, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Clan of the Cave Bear, Part 1 of 2 (Earth's Children, #1)

The Clan of the Cave Bear, Part 1 of 2 (Earth's Children #1 part 1/2)

Part One Of Two Parts

It is 30,000 years ago, the final Ice Age of the Pleistocene Epoch. The earth is peopled by Neanderthals -- squat, bow-legged, nonverbal, they live in clans, exist by foraging, and are ruled by taboos. The Cro-Magnons, the people who will replace them, are just emerging.

When an earthquake destroys a Cro-Magnon dwelling, they tame the prairie, to the

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published by Books on Tape, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Clan of the Cave Bear, Part 1 of 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clan of the Cave Bear, Part 1 of 2

Terri
Apr 23, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing
Loved this series. Ayla and I spent several months together.
Deena Thomson
Mar 31, 2007 Deena Thomson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mostly women
LOVED this book. I have read it about 4 times. It is my fav of the series. LOVE IT!
Kimberly Walsh
Oct 27, 2016 Kimberly Walsh rated it it was amazing
My friend recommended this series to me....fantastic! I got this as an audio book from the library and I was mesmerized from the first minute.
Renee Roberts
Jul 20, 2015 Renee Roberts rated it it was amazing
The reason this fictional novel is so absorbing is because it's meticulously researched. The author spent time with survivalists, botanists, anthropologists, etc., and if transported into prehistoric times could probably not only survive but assimilate and flourish with the indigenous population! Armed with expert knowledge, she then adds brilliant imagination and character development together to create a story you buy into completely. She creates a immersive culture complete with an involved ...more
-t r
Apr 21, 2014 -t r rated it really liked it
The Earth's Children series is wonderful. Truly historic novels - of prehistory. Wonderful character development, descriptions (detailed without being Michener-eseque), and taught storylines create excellent novels - for the first 3. After that, it's sex and travel.
I read these books for the first time as an early teen (11-12?, something like that); rereading them not only gives me a different viewpoint into the history, the detailed relationships that develop, and the true meaning of family tha
Kitty Sutton
Nov 23, 2012 Kitty Sutton rated it it was amazing
I have found that Jean Auel has been instrumental in helping me to appreciate the pre-history that pre dated our Native American tribes. His fiction based on archaeological findings is presented in such a way that you never know you are learning something very important. All of Jean's books are that way and I value every one. I have tried to read every one of Jean's books and have come away with a better knowledge of history and pre history than I ever learned in school with little or no pain of ...more
Barbara M
Jan 20, 2016 Barbara M rated it really liked it
I listened to this on audio while painting the inside of my new pantry addition. Obviously it made an impression since I even remember what I was doing at the time. I really enjoyed the book. I think I read the second in the series but perhaps not, so I'm not putting it in here. The book was well thought out and well written. I know lots of people who are great fans of the author. (Although this shows 1 of 2, I did listen to both part of the book which was broken down into 2 packages for the ...more
Brooke Asher
Jun 29, 2007 Brooke Asher rated it really liked it
Wow...this was the first book of the series and i was hooked right away. I have read all of her books in this series...several times many years ago. I am ready to reread. This first one is my least favorite. The basic story line is about Ayla a cromagnon cave woman who is lost from her family when she is very little and is found an brought up by some neanderthal people. Since she is different from them, she is looked down upon. I liked reading about the ancient society and how she survives with ...more
Anna
Aug 10, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
I thought that this was a wonderful book. I do, however, already have an interest in how humans evolved, with primitive living, herbal medicines and realistic fantasies, so I might be a bit biased. I thought that this book was very well written, though, and could easily capture the attention and imagination of someone who didn't already have those interests. I am looking forward to reading The Valley of Horses soon.
Linda Paupst
Apr 02, 2013 Linda Paupst rated it it was amazing
Life changing. An insight into the life and lives of prehistoric 'earth children'. Loved the series - Valley of the Horses, Mammoth Hunters, etc. These 'cave' men and women were just like us with loves, hate, jealousy, heartbreak, curiosity, some with dignity, some with none. The series is a mammoth historical and literary marvel. I don't recall exactly when I read them, but they were memorable and awesome.
Lina
Apr 19, 2016 Lina rated it did not like it
So I know this series was popular a few decades ago, but I wasn't interested in it. Not long ago a friend recommended it, so I thought I'd give it a try. After about 100 pages, guess what? I'm still not interested, and since there are a half dozen books stacked up in my to read pile, I'm saying goodbye to the cave dwellers.
Fawn
Jan 31, 2016 Fawn rated it it was amazing
I loved stepping back in time and getting to know Alya and watch her grow and see her strenght. so many emotions will run through you as you read this story and the ending leaves you eager to jump into the next book
Anna
Aug 13, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, more-than-once
I first read this as a teenager and loved it. A second reading almost 20 years later did not produce the same feelings, though the story is okay. I didn't really care for all the detail about plants and such: parts seemed too encyclopedic. I also thought there was too much repetition.
Rose
Dec 19, 2014 Rose rated it it was amazing
I've heard about this book for a looong time, and my daughter's read the whole series repeatedly. I didn't expect it to be very good, but it's very well written, a really good story, and the ending leaves you screaming, "NOOOOOOO!" Now I'll have to read The Valley of the Horses--but when?
Dyann Mcdonnell
Jul 16, 2014 Dyann Mcdonnell rated it it was amazing
Loved these books, so interesting and what a story! Ala was definitely a feminist, I hope I spelled her name right it's been years…

Sheryl
Sep 05, 2013 Sheryl rated it really liked it
Well written, enjoyable to read! Interesting look at woman's roll in society, and just as interesting a look at herbal medicine!
Alia Haig
Jul 11, 2014 Alia Haig rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite book of all times! Just an incredibly written style, story and genre! There's no other like it!
britten
Apr 11, 2007 britten rated it it was amazing
A classic must read. This book "got me reading" when I was in college. Until then reading was always an assignment of a book that someone was making me read.
Katie
Dec 07, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
Jak jsem si vůbec mohla myslet, že by mě Ajla někdy přestala bavit? Miluji tuhle sérii stejně, jako když jsem ji četla poprvé.
Beth
Dec 09, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
I was more in awe of the research about the medicinal herbs, ritual, and customs than the actual story.
Justine
Justine rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Zzoo Zilla
Zzoo Zilla rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
Don
Don rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2014
Leyla
Leyla rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Lhagen
Lhagen rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Bena
Bena rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Joan Salvaggio
Joan Salvaggio rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2014
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2013
  • Articles about Earth's Children
  • En nos vertes années (Fortune de France, #2)
  • Writing: The Stories of Alphabets and Scripts
  • Eagle's Cry
  • Over the Wine-Dark Sea (Hellenic Traders, #1)
  • The Franklin Affair
  • Judge Dee at Work: Eight Chinese Detective Stories
  • Алтын-Толобас (Огни большого города)
  • The Hornblower Companion
  • Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel Of The Exodus
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
  • The Breathing Series (3 Book Series)
  • Capture My Heart
  • Natasha's Awakening
  • The Age of Arthur: A History of the British Isles from 350 to 650
  • The Cave Dreamers
  • El Corazon Delator Y Otros Cuentos
  • Kink: Stranger Book 3
Jean M. Auel, née Jean Marie Untinen is an American author best known for her Earth's Children books, a series of historical fiction novels set in prehistoric Europe that explores interactions of Cro-Magnon people with Neanderthals. As of 2010 her books have sold more than 45 million copies worldwide, in many translations.

Auel attended University of Portland, and earned an MBA in 1976. She receiv
More about Jean M. Auel...

Earth's Children (6 books)
  • The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1)
  • The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, #2)
  • The Mammoth Hunters (Earth's Children, #3)
  • The Plains of Passage (Earth's Children, #4)
  • The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children, #5)
  • The Land of Painted Caves (Earth's Children, #6)