Start by marking “Shakespeare's Cuthbert” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare's Cuthbert

Shakespeare's Cuthbert

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  16 reviews
At the heart of this riotous laugh-a-paragraph farce that will delight members of amateur dramatic societies everywhere, lies a forgotten village in a remote valley where the 'real valley folk' live, including Cuthbert, the village undertaker, impressario of the shambolic annual theatre production, and holy fool; Margery, the local beauty and mother of the Mafia twins whos ...more
Published July 10th 2011 by Night Publishing (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare's Cuthbert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare's Cuthbert

Philip Whiteland
To my mind, there is no-one better at the well crafted joke than Patrick Barrett and this book is a great illustration of this. The cover price would be justified on the basis of the first few paragraphs alone. There are some hilarious scenes and great characters. I read an earlier version of this years ago when we were both begging for reviews on Authonomy and I have to say that this version is a huge improvement. My only criticism would be that the plot could be a little more carefully develop ...more
Carol Waller
Not the funniest book you'll ever read, quite possible the driest. But if you enjoy bone-dry, bone-brittle wit, this for you. Think Pratchett, think subtle. Think you may need strings to keep track of who is chasing what while chasing who else with lust or larceny in their hearts. But it gets 4 for the best line I have read in any book in a great while:

When real life visited Cuthbert, it came like the seventh cavalry with the whole Sioux nation screaming behind it.

Worth every moment for that ima
Sophie Duncan
Mar 27, 2012 Sophie Duncan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Terry Pratchet-style observational humour
This type of book is not my normal fare, not being YA, fantasy, or paranormal, but, I have to say, I loved it.

Set in 'the valley', Shakespeare's Cuthbert follows the life of farmer and local undertaker, Cuthbert; he's not 'real valley folk', he's a bit dim and a true accidental hero, and he is really fun to read.

The book is quite long and densely packed with chortles and asides (a la Terry Pratchet, only not at the bottom of the page) - be warned, until you get used to this, you may get a little
I rarely read comedy, but now and again a good giggle is great, and Shakespeare’s Cuthbert certainly made me laugh. Cuthbert, dear Cuthbert, an innocent really who ends up appearing wise. He is so ignorant of the world around him that he bumbles into the oddest situations … and somehow emerges as the clever one!

Come and delve the tunnels under this very strange valley and discover their secrets, and stumble with Cuthbert in the dark into tapestries and coffins and the like. Your eyes will be wid
A mysteriously hilarious novel!
An undertaker who came into possession of a farm from his parents, and came with a very popular "Barn" where a traditional stage play, Shakespeare transpire. Cuthbert's family has always organized the theatre's custom, and was famed in the valley. And so, was the dedication to the "Bard"...... children were introduced into performance upon an early age.

Meanwhile, Cuthbert was busy with his "Barn" for their yearly play. A burglary was conducted in Cuthbert's propert
Cuthbert is such a hilarious character.Misfortune follows him constantly be he is left unaffected by it because he is totally oblivious of his surroundings.Patrick Barrett wrote this comedic tale so well that I couldn't stop laughing from beginning to end.
A highly amusing bit of tongue in cheek humour. There's a cast of the most delicious characters, each one a comic gem in their own right.
And as for Cuthbert himself...he could be straight out of Wodehouse.
Katherine Holmes
Shakespeare's Cuthbert is a bucolic ball. Between Cuthbert's farm and Mandrake Hall are tunnels where scrolls from Shakespeare's time are hidden and characters whose oddities are revealed while they hunt for the rumored treasure. The entire valley becomes a scenario roiling with the entrances of Percy the gardener, the brothers who reside at the hall, an antique dealer, Cuthbert's one-time girlfriend who can identify the scrolls, and the players in their annual play.

There's clever dialogue, ane
Aug 26, 2012 Ines rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: laughs
The undertaker Cuthbert is quite slow, albeit very lucky, and he organises the local annual Shakespeare's play. He is surrounded by odd characters looking for a treasure that might exist (or not) in the valley, but the real folks from the valley that help with the play don't like these newcomers. This book is a funny read, but quite long and I admit I got lost sometimes. Eventually I caught up with the main story line, the characters and what they were doing, and found a book filled with very fu ...more
Loved this book! Hard to believe this Barrett's first book. With lyrical prose and a deft hand turning language on it's head, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment spent "in the valley". I cannot recall the last book that incited to me to laugh out loud as much as this one. The characters are well voiced, both animate and inanimate, that I would truly enjoy reading more books set "in the valley". I really want to know what the twins are up to now! This was free download but I am now heading to Amazo ...more
Karen (Kew)
This book had me laughing out loud from the start. The style is fun and silly, but also witty and very visual. However, I did find that I enjoyed it more read in small doses; if I tried to read it straight through as I do most novels, I found it to be a bit much for me. I enjoyed reading it and will probably read it again one day as there is so much wit in the text that I want to pick up whatever I missed the first time.
Carla Roehl-steinhaus
Well this book started out slow and I was gonna give up but the morre I read the funnier it became! I was laughing outloud at almost every chapter! I would totally recommend this to read for those of you who enjoy a good comical story!!
Entertaining comedy featuring Cuthbert, who maintains equanimity, and enjoys serendipity, throughout the strange events that occur in his neighborhood when locals and incomers start looking for something valuable and historic.
Not the easiest of stories to follow given the writing style but the humour was good & an entertaining read
Trish Bodine
Hilarious story about Cuthbert. If you are not fond of word play and puns, this is not for you. I LOVED IT!
I will not rate as I didn't get far, not for me.
wittbirds marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Brianna Olesh
Brianna Olesh marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Glenda Poulter
Glenda Poulter marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015