Start by marking “Introducing Nietzsche” as Want to Read:
Introducing Nietzsche

Introducing Nietzsche

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  498 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Here is a book that reflects the diversity of this great 19th century thinker.
Published January 7th 1997 by Totem Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Nietzsche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Nietzsche

I can't tell you just how brilliant this book is. Friedrich Nietzsche is one of the greatest philosophers of all time, and his ideas can be difficult to understand. He has also produced a lot of books, which are dense and rife with allegories, philosophical thoughts, and reflections on life, reality, and religion, among other things. This book, a collaboration by Gane and Piero, does an amazing work of condensing his thoughts into an accessible format.

The text is clear, sharp, and easy to unders
Tim Pendry
This book is part of a series of graphic accounts of significant modern philosophers and ideas. The original idea behind the series was that you could educate through a combination of image and crisp short summaries of the life and history of complicated people and concepts.

This is both absurd and helpful. None of these books (largely produced in the post-modern fervour of the 1990s) can do more than skim the surface of a subject. Ideas can be so foreshortened that they are meaningless to the u
I found this while at the bookshop looking for something else. I liked the look of the cover so I picked it up and had a flick through. It is very pretty and very desirable. Introductory texts like this often pique my interest but my sense of pride, or machismo, makes me hesitate. The booming voice in my head says: not tough enough for the original material, Senor Quixote? And I am not. I've trudged through a couple of Nietzche's works and found it heavy going, not much of it stuck.

But I walked
وجدته وبدأت به لأني أردت معرفة المزيد عن نيتشه. بدايته كانت ممتعة، حتى بدأت تختلط الأمور. و تحول الكتاب من كتاب عن نيتشه لكتاب يناقش أفكار و أشخاص و في طريقه أحيانا يذكر نيتشه من مبدأ "و بالمناسبة." لا أعرف، ضعت به، بمعنى الكلمة.

لا أعرف ما هو المقصود من الكتاب، أو إن كانت المشكلة في الترجمة، لكن لا أنصح به من يريد الإطلاع على سيرة حياة نيتشه بشكل عام و يريد التعرف على شيء من أفكاره.

- اسمه فردرش نيتشه، ولد 1844 لعائلة روسية متدينة.
- بعد وفاة والده في الخامسة من عمره، نشأ و قضى ما تبقى م
Dylan Grant
The first book I read by Nietzsche was Thus Spake Zarathustra. At the end of my edition of the book there was an essay that said that Thus Spake Zarathustra is the most inaccessible of Nietzsche's works, and it should be read only after having read the rest of his body of work. Gee, would have liked to know that beforehand!

That being said, I still enjoyed Thus Spake Zarathustra immensely, even though I did not agree with its opinions all of the time. Ever since I read it I was looking for a boo
You know, I haven't read much Nietzsche, but I felt good reading it. I know it's just a summary, and I may be wrong, but he has a morbid optimism in his philosophy. He knew people aren't ready for his ideas, but they will be, and when they do, his writing's will help them leave their humanity behind and be Supermen.

How can I not respect that?
My version is illustrated by Kitty Chan not Piero. Looking at an online preview it seems that they kept the text the same but re-illustrated it with Piero. Not sure why - I enjoyed the art in my old version. Anyway, I thought the book was a very understandable introduction and has me inspired to read some real books by Nietzsche now. I've been reading several books in this series and this one is definitely one of the best - I appreciate the use of many direct quotes from Nietzsche's works and a ...more
Amanda L
The illustrations really carried this the whole way through. For being shy of 200 pages and averaging about 3 sentences per page, it is perhaps a bit too brief, in that it requires the reader to thoroughly connect the dots to produce a clear picture. Sometimes I'd sit there puzzled thinking about a page for longer than it took to read the text.

It's worthwhile in that it offers perspective on the history and the other key players making major contributions to Western thought in Nietzsche's time.
Nicholas Lee
Intro to Nietzsche serves as didactic primer for those unfamiliar to him and his works. What's great about this book is that there are colorful and enagaing illustrations to complement the concise takeaway points strewn throughout the book. The first half of the book details Nietzsche's life, while the second half more broadly addresses his beliefs, along with more contemporary philosophers that cited him as their primary influence.

What I didn't like was the book's lack of explanation for some o
An engaging and comprehensive summary of Nietzsche's various thoughts organized primarily chronologically, but also establishing thematic links where necessary. The book effectively pairs the prose of Gane to paraphrase Nietzsche's ideas (which would likely satisfy Nietzsche himself) and quotes from Nietzsche. One of the most remarkable elements of this text are the illustrations which are spectacular and add a great deal of depth to this light analysis and re-articulation of Nietzsche's core as ...more
لماذا الأخلاق الحسنة مطلوبة؟ هل هي حسنة في ذاتها أم في غاياتها؟ وهل هناك فرق جوهري واضح بينها وبين الاخلاق السيئة؟
يكاد نيتشه أن لا يفرق بين الحسن والسيء خاصة مع اعتقاده بأن الكلمات لا تصف حقيقة الأشياء.
إن كان من أهداف الكتاب توضيح بعض رؤوس الأقلام عن سبب شهرة نيتشه فأراه قد فشل.
Leila Anani
A very useful overview of Nietzsche's life, times, contemporaries and most important of all, philosophies.

Illustrated with crude art and actual quotations this makes him almost easy! to understand.

If anything its a tad brief, but its a very good place to start.
Jordan J. Andlovec
Basically it's a illustrated guide to Nietzsche's life, ideas, and influence. The pictures are humorous, cryptic, and often crude, but gives a decent mode for conversation with the man.
Victor Guerrero
magnificent overview of his work

Even though one may feel a great ennui after reading this into, one would have just that much more passion to actually take a dip into his phenomenal poetic prose and philosophy!

Overall, this introduction provides a great skeletal framework of his greatest thoughts, only by reading his work can the rest of the body be truly fleshed out .
A great introduction/overview.
I expected this to be a kind of philosophical comic relief, but the amount and accuracy of the information was surprisingly good. Most of the book comprises short quotes by Nietzsche himself, and when the author paraphrases (a perilous endeavor), he avoids inference. Much of the work describes Nietzsche's life and development of thought. The illustrations, while sometimes amusing, primarily serve to illuminate the influences to Nietzsche's thinking, as well as the legacy of his writings.
This graphic guide provides an introduction to the philosophy of Nietzche. In biographical format this book outlines how his thought processes changed over time, who his influences were, and where he eventually ended up. It is written in (somewhat) basic language so that even a non-philosophy major can appreciate it, however your standard philosophic terms are used so you may want to keep a dictionary close by. The graphics keep it interesting, and sometimes even humorous.
Joseph Harriott
Feb 24, 2010 Joseph Harriott is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
making sense of Nietzsche. Seems he didn't have the time to work out some personal issues, but at least he began to see through what the Buddha called "personality view" to get a glimpse of the way things really are. His association with bleak Godlessness seems to be due to him not having had the time to develop on, as the Buddha did, into a more at-ease with it all state.
A great introduction into Nietzsche ideas and way of thinking.
A preliminary read to all his works and ideas
It also clarifies some aspects that people misunderstand about him, such as his relation to the Nazis or religion and his relationship with his sister and the way he revised his views with other philosophers like Kent, Freud etc
Great! The book gives a good overview of Nietzsche's life, his mental psyche and his personality, and how they affected his ideas. At times I felt like the book got a bit disjointed and the concepts could have had a bit more continuity, but I suppose it's because Nietzsche wrote on so many topics that the authors were forced to do this.
Andrew Simmons
This is a really cool series of philosophical introduction texts. It combines philosophical studies with comic book like panels. The art style of the Nietzsche book is actually pretty neat. As far as an introduction to Nietzsche's work, it does a really good job presenting his thoughts throughout his major works.
Although Nietzche's ideas are very complex I feel like this book did just what the title promised; it introduced his concepts. Even through the sheer general viewpoint I was able to percieve his many contradictions and gain a grasp of what he was about. Some of the graphics even provided comical relief.
Shashwata Datta
Wow. A great introduction to Nietzsche and his arguments.
I'm still reeling under the amount of info I got from this seemingly tiny book.
Very well written and compiled. Need to read again later to get a better hold of his theories.
Looking forward to reading other Introducing series books.
Since it's unlikely that I'll ever get around to reading anything actually written by Nietzsche, this seemed like a good idea. It was a good overview/introduction as far as I could tell, but I can't say it made me want to get further acquainted with him. I'll stick with my existentialist friends.
Roberto Rigolin Ferreira Lopes
Aphorism. Nietzsche’s powerful tool. The man was intense and witty. One paragraph was enough to address matters that other thinkers were discussing in entire books. This introduction helps a lot to understand his universe. What an interesting freethinker.
Still don't hardly understand much of anything, even about Nietzsche. Probably not all the book's fault; you can't really expect to understand all that much in a week.

The drawings in this book are pretty strange most of the time. Fairly unnecessary.
Joseph Young
Some of the pictures are distracting, but this was an interesting summary of Nietzsche's life and ideas. Although I enjoyed reading Nietzsche earlier in life, had kind of given it up. This book makes me want to re-look into Nietzsche's works.
A great introduction into Nietzsche's ideas and way of thinking. It also clarifies some aspects that people misunderstand about him, such as his relation to the Nazis or religion. In my opinion, he was quite a very interesting person.
تعتبر هذه السلسلة.سلسلة أقدم لك.مدخلا لا بأس به فى سبر أغوار الفلسفة .والفلاسفة.عن طريق عرض اراء وأفكار الشخصية المختارة .بأسلوب بسيط.مدعم بالصور .كالمجلات المصورة .مما يسهل على غير المتعمقين من أمثالى.
Nicole McCann
nietzsche is pretty difficult to understand so a friend let me borrow this book to get a better understanding of where he was coming from. i liked the visual artistry on every page.
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Marxism: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Postmodernism
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Philosophy
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Camus
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Logic