Start by marking “Introducing Nietzsche” as Want to Read:
Introducing Nietzsche

Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing Series)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Here is a book that reflects the diversity of this great 19th century thinker.
Published January 7th 1997 by Totem Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Nietzsche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Nietzsche

Rajiv
I can't tell you just how brilliant this book is. Friedrich Nietzsche is one of the greatest philosophers of all time, and his ideas can be difficult to understand. He has also produced a lot of books, which are dense and rife with allegories, philosophical thoughts, and reflections on life, reality, and religion, among other things. This book, a collaboration by Gane and Piero, does an amazing work of condensing his thoughts into an accessible format.

The text is clear, sharp, and easy to unders
Tim Pendry
This book is part of a series of graphic accounts of significant modern philosophers and ideas. The original idea behind the series was that you could educate through a combination of image and crisp short summaries of the life and history of complicated people and concepts.

This is both absurd and helpful. None of these books (largely produced in the post-modern fervour of the 1990s) can do more than skim the surface of a subject. Ideas can be so foreshortened that they are meaningless to the u
Sebah
وجدته وبدأت به لأني أردت معرفة المزيد عن نيتشه. بدايته كانت ممتعة، حتى بدأت تختلط الأمور. و تحول الكتاب من كتاب عن نيتشه لكتاب يناقش أفكار و أشخاص و في طريقه أحيانا يذكر نيتشه من مبدأ "و بالمناسبة." لا أعرف، ضعت به، بمعنى الكلمة.

لا أعرف ما هو المقصود من الكتاب، أو إن كانت المشكلة في الترجمة، لكن لا أنصح به من يريد الإطلاع على سيرة حياة نيتشه بشكل عام و يريد التعرف على شيء من أفكاره.

تعلمت:
- اسمه فردرش نيتشه، ولد 1844 لعائلة روسية متدينة.
- بعد وفاة والده في الخامسة من عمره، نشأ و قضى ما تبقى م
Dylan Grant
The first book I read by Nietzsche was Thus Spake Zarathustra. At the end of my edition of the book there was an essay that said that Thus Spake Zarathustra is the most inaccessible of Nietzsche's works, and it should be read only after having read the rest of his body of work. Gee, would have liked to know that beforehand!

That being said, I still enjoyed Thus Spake Zarathustra immensely, even though I did not agree with its opinions all of the time. Ever since I read it I was looking for a boo
Elius
You know, I haven't read much Nietzsche, but I felt good reading it. I know it's just a summary, and I may be wrong, but he has a morbid optimism in his philosophy. He knew people aren't ready for his ideas, but they will be, and when they do, his writing's will help them leave their humanity behind and be Supermen.

How can I not respect that?
Amanda L
The illustrations really carried this the whole way through. For being shy of 200 pages and averaging about 3 sentences per page, it is perhaps a bit too brief, in that it requires the reader to thoroughly connect the dots to produce a clear picture. Sometimes I'd sit there puzzled thinking about a page for longer than it took to read the text.

It's worthwhile in that it offers perspective on the history and the other key players making major contributions to Western thought in Nietzsche's time.
Nicholas Lee
Intro to Nietzsche serves as didactic primer for those unfamiliar to him and his works. What's great about this book is that there are colorful and enagaing illustrations to complement the concise takeaway points strewn throughout the book. The first half of the book details Nietzsche's life, while the second half more broadly addresses his beliefs, along with more contemporary philosophers that cited him as their primary influence.

What I didn't like was the book's lack of explanation for some o
Jordan J. Andlovec
Basically it's a illustrated guide to Nietzsche's life, ideas, and influence. The pictures are humorous, cryptic, and often crude, but gives a decent mode for conversation with the man.
Craven
A great introduction/overview.
Joseph Harriott
Feb 24, 2010 Joseph Harriott is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
making sense of Nietzsche. Seems he didn't have the time to work out some personal issues, but at least he began to see through what the Buddha called "personality view" to get a glimpse of the way things really are. His association with bleak Godlessness seems to be due to him not having had the time to develop on, as the Buddha did, into a more at-ease with it all state.
Timea
Although Nietzche's ideas are very complex I feel like this book did just what the title promised; it introduced his concepts. Even through the sheer general viewpoint I was able to percieve his many contradictions and gain a grasp of what he was about. Some of the graphics even provided comical relief.
Nick
Still don't hardly understand much of anything, even about Nietzsche. Probably not all the book's fault; you can't really expect to understand all that much in a week.

The drawings in this book are pretty strange most of the time. Fairly unnecessary.
ابراهيم
تعتبر هذه السلسلة.سلسلة أقدم لك.مدخلا لا بأس به فى سبر أغوار الفلسفة .والفلاسفة.عن طريق عرض اراء وأفكار الشخصية المختارة .بأسلوب بسيط.مدعم بالصور .كالمجلات المصورة .مما يسهل على غير المتعمقين من أمثالى.
Nicole McCann
nietzsche is pretty difficult to understand so a friend let me borrow this book to get a better understanding of where he was coming from. i liked the visual artistry on every page.
Victoria
An interesting and accessible introduction to Nietzsche. It is a basic overview written in almost comic book style. A light way of examining some heavy ideas - with pictures!
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
A wonderful intro to nietzsche! I was reading a critical essay on wagner by Nietzsche and wanted a bit of a refresher. things are more clear.
Joe
Almost adequate introduction to Nietzsche's core ideas. Earned a second star based on the illustrations alone which are funny at times.
James
I think I'm going to have to re-read this a few times to really start getting it. But, boy, were these thoughts influentials
Ronald Hoepfl
Lively, graphic format helped this modern American to keep focused long enough to comprehend the fairly dense philosophy.
Adrian Barrientos
En ocasiones confuso, pero bueno es Nietzche no esperaría que fuera fácil de entender. Forma simple d tener una idea.
Franchesca
Dec 07, 2012 Franchesca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious literary readers
Recommended to Franchesca by: my book dealer
Shelves: academic
Helped me understand Nietzsche. A preliminary read to all his works and ideas.
Patrick
Yawn. I tried to like this, I really did, but again I say, "Yawn".
Thieluar
I am way past this but appreciate the bio part.
Nada Elalfy
Nada Elalfy marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Freud for Beginners
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Marquis De Sade
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Philosophy
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Camus
  • Stephen Hawking para principiantes / Stephen Hawking For Beginners
  • Introducing Logic
  • Marx for Beginners
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
Introducing Nietzsche: A Graphic Guide