Start by marking “The Waters of Eternity (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Waters of Eternity (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand, #1.5)

The Waters of Eternity (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #1.5)

Dabir and Asim return! From acclaimed historical fantasy writer Howard Andrew Jones comes this collection of the short adventures that launched his career. Venture into the time of the Arabian Nights with stalwart Captain Asim and the brilliant Dabir as they hunt an unseen killer that craves only the eyes of his victims, and pursue a dark entity haunting the halls of an ...more
Published November 22nd 2011 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published October 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Waters of Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Waters of Eternity

Joseph
Jan 28, 2012 Joseph rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories about Dabir and Asim -- adventure fiction (scimitar and sorcery?) in medieval Arabia, with a hint of Sherlock Holmes flavor. (Several of the stories have a light element of mystery to them; they're narrated by Asim, who plays Watson to Dabir's Holmes.) Ifrits and ghuls and other Arabian Nights-influenced creatures make appearances from time to time. It's a brief collection, but very enjoyable; it also includes the first several chapters of The Desert of Souls, a ful ...more
Vincent Darlage
Aug 28, 2012 Vincent Darlage rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. I like short stories and I like these characters, and this collection really delivered the goods. The flavor of the Arabian Nights is present, and, well, these were just fun reads.
Phil
Jun 19, 2012 Phil rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This ebook collects most of the Dabir and Asim short stories by Howard Andrew Jones. Being a fan of both sword & sorcery (a genre Jones has made a valiant effort through articles at Black Gate, etc., to revive) and the Arabian Nights, I picked up this volume so as to learn about the characters before moving onto his debut novel, The Desert of Souls.

Dabir and Asim make an interesting pair of sword & sorcery heroes, very different from the genre's other notable duos, Fafhrd and the Gray Mo
Yune
I started reading this while waiting in the doctor's office and ended up not minding the hour-long wait at all.

I've previously read The Desert of Souls, which highlighted the same duo who feature in this set of short stories: Asim (narrator, not terribly bright but a fantastic soldier) and Dabir (scholar extraordinaire). It's an effective combinations as the two battle both the supernatural and baser human motivations in their quest to help good folk entangled in big problems. I think the pair s
Gilbert M.
May 29, 2014 Gilbert M. rated it really liked it
Howard Andrew Jones has made a name for himself both as an editor of new and classic Sword & Sorcery fiction and as a talented author in his own right. The Waters of Eternity is a collection of his short mysteries featuring Dabir and Asim who live during the Abbasid Caliphate in the twelfth century Middle East. If these stories were set today they would probably be called urban fantasies for the world of Dabir and Asim differs from our historical one primarily in that supernatural threats ...more
Alex Smith
Jan 28, 2012 Alex Smith rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Desert of Souls, so was really looking forward to this. Unfortunately it doesn't live up to expectations - it's just too slight a work. At 175 pages (on my e-reader) and about a third of these being a preview of the earlier novel, the book merely gives you a taste of Asim and Dabir's adventures. Don't get me wrong, the stories are enjoyable, with plenty of sword-play, mysteries, and monsters, all in a well-written and believable setting, there's just not enough of them. ...more
Joy
Jun 14, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it
I love Dabir and Asim, so I'm glad I finally got the chance to finish reading this short story collection. I bet you are wondering why I haven't given this book five stars if I'm such a big fan of these adventures. Well, one of the stories involves a giant [spoiler] and a mass of writhing [spoiler] that are [spoiler]. This story contained some of the most awful images that have ever burrowed into my brain. I think I will be having nightmares for the rest of my life. So, Mr. Jones, you get a star ...more
Julie Davis
Aug 10, 2012 Julie Davis rated it it was ok
I loved Jone's book The Desert of Souls and was delighted to see that he has collected these six stories as a prequel to the book.

Unfortunately, the short stories weren't as good as the book, which of often the case, but does not have to be. All we must do is read some Sherlock Holmes for to prove that point. The details are rich, but the stories themselves seem somewhat hurried or simple somehow.

Enjoyable but read The Desert of Souls or the sequel which I believe should be out soon.
John
Jun 16, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Dabir Ibn Khalil and Asim el Abbas go up against magical nemeses of various hazard in several more or less unrelated tales. Jones has come up with a winning formula for these adventures, and I hope he writes lots more.

Money quotes: "Here a knife was used, to pry out the eye."

"'In most marriages,' I said, 'the murder attempt comes after the vow.'"

Cody
Dec 28, 2011 Cody rated it really liked it
Read on my nook. This is a short collection of entertaining short stories featuring the heroes of the Desert of Souls. If you're a fan of Desert you'll enjoy seeing your friends from that novel again, but I'd recommend reading that book before this one.
Leigh
Mar 12, 2014 Leigh rated it liked it
The Waters of Eternity is a good filler of the the adventures of Dabir and Asim. It has three really great short stories with a few average stories mixed together. Three stars because i liked it without loving it!
Rebecca
Feb 24, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Very engaging short story collection! My only complaint is that the short stories end at about the 61% mark and the rest of the book is an excerpt for the first novel in the series. Still, these stories were very fun and I definitely recommend them.
Jack
Sep 01, 2013 Jack rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, history
I do like me some Sherlock/Watson in dresses. Oh, wait, those aren't dresses. "A Thousand and One Arabian Studies in Scarlet" Yeah, that's about right. A nice read, well done.
Pierre Armel
Nov 02, 2014 Pierre Armel rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of short stories. I even felt they were better than the first novel (The Desert of Souls): more punch, great ideas and twists. Strongly recommended.
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Stacie Gilbert
Stacie Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Juuso
Juuso rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Sissel
Sissel rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Daniel Krueger
Daniel Krueger rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Tina Beckwith
Tina Beckwith rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Peter.lustig
Peter.lustig rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Paddy O'callaghan
Paddy O'callaghan rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Paul Wittine
Paul Wittine rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
Todds
Todds rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Gonzalo
Gonzalo rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Minnemouse
Minnemouse rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Engraved on the Eye
  • Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below
  • In Ashes Lie (Onyx Court, #2)
  • Love and Romanpunk (Twelve Planets, #2)
  • Angeline
  • The Choir Boats (Longing for Yount #1)
  • Strangers and Lies (Gwen Farris, #3)
  • Spiral Path (Night Calls #3)
  • Stealer of Flesh
  • Time And The Gods
  • Providence Unveiled (Memory's Wake Trilogy, #3)
  • Marriage Can Be Murder (Dr. Benjamin Bones Mysteries, #1)
  • Thousand Shrine Warrior (Tomoe Gozen, #3)
  • Legends
  • The Emperor's Agent (Numinous World, #5)
  • Third Time Lucky: And Other Stories of the Most Powerful Wizard in the World
  • Leighton's Summer (SYNSK, #2)
  • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories, Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands (The Unreal and the Real, #2)

The Chronicles of Sword and Sand (2 books)
  • The Desert of Souls (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #1)
  • The Bones of the Old Ones (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #2)