Start by marking “This Time Next Year” as Want to Read:
This Time Next Year

This Time Next Year

Brenna Keating is on her way to spend Christmas with her grandmother when treacherous roads and a skittish deer put her car in a ditch. Riding to the rescue—literally—is Dillon Craig, a reclusive doctor who insists she weather the storm in his cabin.

Since returning from Afghanistan where he treated wounded soldiers on the front lines, Dillon's made it a point to avoid any
Published December 5th 2011 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about This Time Next Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Time Next Year

Kristen
3 to 3 1/2 stars

Overall, I enjoyed this Christmas novella but felt there was too much plot for such a short story. Because of that, the ending felt rushed and somewhat unsatisfying.

Note: This novella is part of the anthology Holiday Kisses: A Holiday Romance Collection.
Ellen W-S
I really loved this short story. I felt the connection between Dillon and Brenna and was rooting for them to succeed! Will definitely rad this author again. Well-written and passionate story.
Lynsey
Nov 15, 2013 Lynsey rated it really liked it
Listened to on audio. Narrated by Therese Plummer.

5 stars for the narration. Oh, Therese, how I have missed you! She has easily got to be one of the best narrators out there and I absolutely love her. She narrated the Virgin River series and she really did breathe life into a series of books that I had no idea could get any better. Her voice, performance and style is just perfection.

The book itself is really great. Well crafted with a hint of steam and an ending to melt even the coldest of heart
Tina "IRead2Escape"
I really, really enjoyed this book! This Time Next Year is a short story, yet packed with so much. The time these 2 characters spent with each other never felt rushed or like, we as the readers, were shortchanged.

Brenna Keating finds herself in a ditch, during a blizzard, without much hope. How could this have happened? She planned so well. Following the weather report she left in plenty of time to make it to her grandmother’s cabin in the mountains before the blizzard came through. Unfortunate
Emma
Jul 04, 2017 Emma rated it it was amazing
If only I could happen upon an amazing man in the woods.
Christi Snow
Dec 05, 2011 Christi Snow rated it it was amazing
My Review:
Rating: A+
I really loved this book. This is honestly my ideal in a holiday story...a snowstorm, a damsel in distress, a heroic taciturn sexy hero. Brenna is on the cusp of a new life and is coming to spend one final Christmas with her grandmother in the mountains of NC before she goes to live and work in Malawi as a nurse.

Things go awry when the snowstorm moves in 10 hours earlier than predicted and a deer gets in her way on the road. Dillon is a doctor who lives on the same mountain
Sherry
Dec 26, 2014 Sherry rated it liked it
Shelves: novella, read-in-2014
3.5 stars This Time Next Year, by Alison Kent, was a decent read. I found Dillon very interesting, a doctor tortured by the people he couldn’t save during his tour of duty, but Kent never really convinced me that he would be able to connect emotionally with Brenna. He seemed resigned to the quiet life he’d set up for himself, not really looking to expand it and let someone into his heart. For that matter, I wasn’t sure Brenna actually wanted to connect emotionally with Dillon. She was on her way ...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
3.5 Stars

This review was posted at Under The Covers

* READ IN THE HOLIDAY KISSES ANTHOLOGY *

Breena is heading to her grandmas' house to spend what will most likely be her last Christmas with her. After this she's going to Malawi for a trip as a peace corp nurse basically and she probably won't come back next year for Christmas and her grandma might not last much longer. But Mother Nature has different plans for her and on her way there she gets hit with a snowstorm and slides off the road, crashe
Sara
Jan 05, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-lit
This title was the perfect opening to this anthology. I really found myself wishing this was a full length story. Because, even with the constraints of a novella Kent really took the time to give them full personalities. Brenna and Dillon were complex. She’s torn between a lifelong dream and the reality she may not want to leave behind. Dillon is recovering from tours in Afghanistan, haunted by those he was unable to save as a medic in the Army.

I liked Brenna and Dillon together. I could tell th
Lori
Feb 03, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
Every time I read something Alison Kent has written, it's like discovering her all over again. I loved this story. And Kent's writing. Brenna and Dillon drew me in. I loved their conversations, the fact they wrote to each other, the fact that they didn't have their HEA until they both did what they needed to do. There's this great quality in Kent's writing. I can't pin it down, but it combines realism with fun & humor, and yet deep emotion shines through. A lovely cabin romance. I wish this ...more
Judi
Dec 05, 2011 Judi rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I won This Time Next Year on a Twitter contest from the Author Alison Kent and was quite excited because really who doesn’t love winning books?

This was the perfect little story for an afternoon spent in front of the fireplace, nice and toasty warm with my coffee. The H/h must have thought it was a good idea also because they had their own hot scene in front of the fireplace “wink wink”.

It’s Christmas time, a snow storm, a heroine in need of rescuing and a hero riding in to save the da
Lynda
Dec 07, 2011 Lynda rated it liked it
Shelves: x2011-kindle
Out of all 4 stories in this anthology, this was my least favorite. Not because of Ms. Kent's writing or characters, but because I could tell where this story was going. I hate that. LOL. No two ways around it, though, as the title gives it away. LOL. Still, an enjoyable read and something I'll reread in Christmas seasons to come.
Jessica Figueroa
Dec 25, 2013 Jessica Figueroa rated it it was amazing
Short sweet, predictable and a wee bit (Ok very) cheesy. Of course the hero has to be the dude on the horse. But you know what? I don't care if it was predictable and corny because I still found myself loving this book. I couldn't put this book down till the very end and I recommend you lovey readers to check this book out.
Jeanette Grey
Feb 08, 2012 Jeanette Grey rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, holiday
I enjoyed this very, very much. While it was quite short, it had a well-fleshed-out romance, with sympathetic, well-rounded characters who want love and home and to make a difference in the world. Really, a lovely story.
Marjo
Nov 06, 2014 Marjo rated it liked it
A good dose of romance, a good dose of Christmas, and a well-plotted short story.
Hope
Nov 07, 2015 Hope rated it really liked it

I didn't feel connected to the characters the way I want too. Still an enjoyable christmas short story
Krystal
Jan 05, 2013 Krystal rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday-themed
It was a sweet, heart felt short story...
Penny
Dec 13, 2011 Penny rated it it was ok
This was a short book with not much plot except boy gets girl. There was nothing special about the characters, and I'm sure they will be forgotten by tomorrow.
Donna
Dec 05, 2011 Donna added it
This is a sweet holiday romance. It centers around two good souls (one troubled) that find each other and fall in love.
Krista
Sep 15, 2014 Krista rated it really liked it
Cute little novella
ms bookjunkie
A nice enough Christmas story but the angst of OMG-she's-gonna-leave-and-go-far-far-away didn't really work for me.
Lynn Ricards
Nov 23, 2014 Lynn Ricards rated it liked it
Good story

This was a good story. The ending felt a bit rushed, but characters were interesting and lifelike. I enjoyed the book.
Gianna
Sep 18, 2016 Gianna rated it liked it
3,5*
Josie Arman
Josie Arman rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Terri White
Terri White rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Rondemott
Rondemott rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Msluviano
Msluviano rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • It's Not Christmas Without You (Holloway, #1)
  • Mistletoe & Margaritas
  • A Rare Gift (Kent Brothers, #2)
  • Breath on Embers
  • The Devil of Jedburgh
  • All I Want For Christmas
  • Twas the Night
  • Merry and Bright
  • Home For The Holidays (Kismet, Michigan #1)
  • Her Christmas Pleasure (The Merry Widows #2)
  • A Proposal for Christmas: State Secrets / The Five Days of Christmas
  • The Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City)
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • Lady Seductress's Ball
  • On a Snowy Christmas Night (Made in Montana, #3)
  • White Christmas: Woman Hater\The Humbug Man
  • Wild Hearts (Justiss Alliance, #0.5)
I often read of or hear about authors who knew they were meant to tell stories from the time they left the crib. Me? I didn't decide what I wanted to be when I grew up until I was thirty years old - and then sold my first book at thirty-four. Still, it was obvious that I always knew I was going places.

Like so many other authors, I was a voracious reader from day one, devouring everything from Nanc
More about Alison Kent...