Start by marking “The Face: A Novella in Verse” as Want to Read:
The Face: A Novella in Verse

The Face: A Novella in Verse

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  4 reviews
A haunting and inventive book length sequence of poems from the distinguished author of Study for the World's Body.

The Face is both fiercely lyrical and intimately conversational. Coming to terms with the failure of a great love, the speaker descends into his own dark night of the soul. Here are poems that explore the drama of the shattered self in a variety of voices, cal...more
Published April 5th 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Face

Black Elephants
After reading some conventional rhyme-scheme poetry, I ran off to read some David St. John to recover from the experience. This is poetry. This is wonderful, moving, heady, tangled, spontaneous, ridiculous, bottomless poetry.

I think the difference between the conventional poetry and The Face is that I feel like I'm looking at a scene, remembering a memory, contemplating a philosophy through David St. John. Not so with the other poet; I felt like I was being moralized to from a distance. He was t...more
Emmet
The poems themselves were, for the most part, okay. A few were even good. However, I was most disappointed because this was not, really, a novella in verse. I was looking forward to something really good and unusual; instead, what I read was more of the same old, same old, with a few of the poems more closely linked than normal. I was hoping this would be, at least in feel, something similar to Basho. Such a disappointment.
Karli
Many of David's individual poems resonate with me, but this whole collection blew me away. The images continually rise up in my own work, as I move between reality and the facade of reality.
Steven Withrow
Impressive, but not really my cup of tea (at the moment) from a content perspective. From a formal perspective, I guess I look for more "verse" in my verse novels.
Scott
Scott added it
Jul 16, 2014
Persephone
Persephone marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Julie Tomlinson
Julie Tomlinson marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Chidi OKORO
Chidi OKORO marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
S
S marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2012
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2012
Cristyle Garrard
Cristyle Garrard marked it as to-read
May 24, 2012
Ross
Ross added it
Aug 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
The Red Leaves of Night: Poems The Auroras: New Poems Study for the World's Body Hush Prism