Start by marking “Winter Knights” as Want to Read:
Winter Knights

Winter Knights

Historian Gavin Lowden is in Northumberland on Christmas Eve for two reasons: to find evidence of a romantic bond between Arthur and Lancelot, and to finally tell his partner Piers that he loves him. Piers has promised to come clean with his conservative family and join Gavin for their first holiday as a couple, but at the last minute, he bails. Devastated, Gavin heads out ...more
Published December 5th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Winter Knights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Knights

Vio
Dec 05, 2011 Vio rated it it was amazing

Loved everything about this story the references to King Arthur and his knights, Art and Lance the wonderful hunky rescue workers who I simply adored, I so wanted to be wrong about them but I knew deep down what was going to happen "sniff". Gavin and Piers the conflicted lovers who are dealing with some unusual twists to their relationship but with the help of some intriguing friends it all works out beautifully. A wonderful romantic Christmas romance I will treasure. Highly recommended
Catherine
This story was well written and wholly original. Objectively, it's probably worth 3 to 4 stars depending on a reader's personal tastes. However, between the mythology, the religion, a break up at Christmas, the (view spoiler) I just feel as if it was far too many elements for a single short story (none of which were my particular cup of tea).
Simon
Aug 08, 2013 Simon rated it really liked it
A short novel, a ghost story no less, but true to the m/m genre.
I wish Harper had padded the story out and made a full length novel as there was enough plot and it would have been nice to hear more of Piers and Gavin prior to this story. Quite a sexy read but not as poetically descriptive as some of the other novels.
Sweet and a tiny bit spooky!
Kaje Harper
Dec 10, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
This book has a lovely feel. There's just a hint of mythical characters underlying a modern tale of two men who love each other, but have real problems with expectations and communication. The majority of this story is a 5-star depiction of how, with a little paranormal assistance, those problems are overcome. The last section feels like a missed opportunity for a wonderful sequel - the narrator gives a fast retrospective of some very important and potentially emotional events that have happened ...more
Dani
May 23, 2016 Dani rated it really liked it
3,5 stars.

This was a not-really-4-star-but- perfectly-good 3-star-read, except there were a few quite underhanded switches from one reality to another that were, well, (view spoiler).
I'm putting that in spoilers because I believe it doesn't work that well with forewarning.
So, recommended, for that spoilery reason - and the trademark gorgeous,
L-D
Winter Knights is a novella length story in the Men Under the Mistletoe anthology. While a lot of people loved this story the most, I didn't fall into that camp for a few reasons. First of all, I knew right away that the rescue team were (view spoiler) so I think that detracted a bit from my overall enjoyment of the book. Secondly, the Arthurian Legend aspect of the book got a little bit dry for me. And finally, the biggest issue I had with the book was that Gavin and Pier ...more
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
I find myself saying this often, but once again Fox grabs a hold of me and doesn’t let go. She mixes reality with the near fairytale – in this case, an actual fairytale set in fairly modern times.

The voice she gives Gavin is intelligent, strong, fallible and unafraid to go for the one thing he knows he had and wants again: someone whose embrace feels like home. Even more than the sword in the stone, he wants love and has the backbone to go for it, if he can just get out of his own logical way.

As
willaful
Nov 27, 2011 willaful rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone open to reading m-m romance
Within a conventional framework -- a supernatural event on Christmas eve teaches the protagonist some important lessons -- this beautifully written story goes far beyond convention. Folklorist Gavin is devastated when his devoutly Catholic lover Piers dumps him and tells him he’s marrying a woman; he wanders out in the snow and becomes trapped in a cave, hallucinating about finding the site where King Arthur and his knights are sleeping, waiting to be called back to life. When Gavin is saved by ...more
Sofia
Jan 31, 2014 Sofia rated it really liked it

Superb writing. Ms Fox did not let me down.

She picked me up drew me into Gavin's reality then she put me in a spin dryer, spun round, until I did not know which way was up and let me out again.

An extremely fun piece, which I enjoyed. When I read her work I realise what I'm missing.
Eli Easton
Feb 18, 2013 Eli Easton rated it it was amazing
I put off reading this one for awhile because I'm normally not a fan of established couples. But this one avoided what can be a lack of sizzle by introducing two new characters and keeping the boyfriend off the stage for a bit.

This is a smooth, lyrical, literary read, and I really enjoyed the writer's blend of mythology, academia and romance. The whole rescue plotline was my favorite part of the story. Five stars from me.
Jayhjay
Dec 05, 2011 Jayhjay rated it it was amazing
This review was originally published on my blog Joyfully Jay as part of my review of the Men Under the Mistletoe anthology

Wow. This book was so good, but I am not sure I can even begin to explain it or do it justice. But duty calls, so here goes.

Gavin Lowden is a historian studying Arthurian legend. He is trying to find a link between the folklore and reality (and likes to think that the love triangle was fiction and Lancelot and Arthur were actually into each other). He is in northern England c
J.L. Hilton
Dec 06, 2011 J.L. Hilton rated it really liked it
This was my first foray into M/M fiction, and I enjoyed it. Harper Fox is a brilliant writer. The prose was beautiful, the characters lovable and the plot compelling. The supernatural element was fun, and I appreciated the little twists in the story. Well done. The only thing that my brain snagged on as I read was the sex. Not that I mind explicit "door open" romantic interludes--quite the opposite. And I am open-minded about homosexuality, so that wasn't a problem. Just... to me, the sexuality ...more
Daphne
Apr 03, 2016 Daphne rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-read, 2016-books
Winter Knights was a different kind of book from Harper Fox - there was a paranormal element and the relationship was not as linear as her books normally reflect. For people who want a straight forward, no blurry lines, no angsty relationship, this may not be the best choice although it does reflect the beautiful prose of this author.

While this wasn't my favorite from this author, I still enjoyed it very much. The journey in this book was not one of history (even though the blurb may make it se
Nikki
Not sure what to think about this one. All the stories from this anthology have been rather angst ridden, with long separations and people having to prove themselves, and this one was worse -- death, Catholicism, internalised homophobia, tumours... In the end, I'm not sure what to think of it. The use of Arthur and Lancelot is interesting, and the hint about Gavin and Piers being Gawain and Percival... But I'm not sure it ever makes a coherent whole.

There's sex scenes, of course -- apparently th
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Dec 10, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I liked very much the protagonists of this story, more than the story itself. Gavin is a historian, writing an essay for his doctorate degree where he tries to shed a different light on King Arthur and Lancelot and their relationship. He wants to find the truth behind the myth. This is his passion, together with his love for Piers. Piers is a scholar too. He is a Catholic and he tries in some ways to find a compromise and reconcile his faith with the love for a man.

At the beginning of
Richard
Nov 28, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it
This book came to my attention through a friend during a discussion of legends and other things... I hadn't read any Harper Fox before and I gave it a try, partly in the context of our conversation. I did not read the whole book blurb before diving into it and I didn't know anything about it except that it involves a M/M relationship, and refers to Arthurian legends... And I liked the way the legend was brought into the story. It was not what I was expecting, and interestingly handled.

The style
Plainbrownwrapper
Jul 20, 2012 Plainbrownwrapper rated it really liked it
I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- I love Harper Fox. I don't especially care for the plot of this story -- it's got (view spoiler)and those just really aren't my things -- but Fox's wonderful prose and character work and sense of place still shine through.

Who can resist lines like these?

“Move,” I said again, and Art thrust at my command, just once and very carefully, like a promise. I breat
John
Dec 09, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, fiction, mm-romance
Such a rich, thoughtful, and rather haunting story, for me. Ultimately very sweet, but with an emotional complexity that kept it from veering off toward being trite. It's an example of the best sort of mythical writing, where myth has real power to operate in ordinary lives. Ancient legend and modern struggle, happiness and sorrow, failure and redemption all rolled up together in a small package, elegantly written, Winter Knights is wonderful.
Alison
Sep 03, 2013 Alison rated it liked it
Shelves: sff, my-e-things, queer
An enjoyable holiday story. It's well-written, pleasant to read, and lovely. I liked this book, but I didn't really connect with it, not like I usually do with Fox's books. Not my favourite Harper Fox story.
Alona
DNF at 60%
Not for me unfortunately!
It felt all kind of wrong for me., the fantasy was weird, the threesome felt like cheating...
Did not enjoy the story, but the writing is defiantly good.
Lori
Mar 22, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: bmbr-reads
Review previously posted at

It's winter time, so throw some coal on the fire, pour yourself a warming glass of mulled wine and curl up with a good book - I've got a great recommendation for you. Winter Knights by Harper Fox features snow, Arthurian legends and, of course, romance. What more do you need on a dark December night?

I loved the setting of this story, deep in the English countryside - I may be a little biased but it is one of my favourite places to be! Harper Lee obviously loves the a
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
3.5 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

Gavin is a workaholic when it comes to his research, even to the detriment to his health and relationship with his lover Piers. He has planned a romantic getaway for the two of them to spend their first Christmas together. Piers tells him last minute he’s not coming. In a confused attempt to focus on the only other thing he cares about, his research, Gavin heads out in a winter storm on a hunch he’s figured out something important. He falls into a
Brandilyn
Dec 21, 2012 Brandilyn rated it really liked it
This one is still stewing in my head, my rating may go up. Gavin Lowden, a folklorian with a specialty in the Knights of the Round Table, is waiting in his hotel room for his lover of 3 years to show up. He wants to tell him he loves him and take the relationship to the next level. However instead of Piers on his doorstep, he receives a dear John phone call. The tale-spin he enters sends him out to Hallow Hill alone in the cold. After that the line between fiction and reality blurs. He is rescue ...more
Tiferet
Jan 06, 2015 Tiferet rated it it was amazing
There is something about Harper Fox's writing that speaks straight to my heart, bypassing the rational, analytical parts of my mind, that makes me feel as if I'd just heard a beautiful musical composition rather than read a story. And this story is beautiful, heartfelt, complex, and very real, characters-wise, in spite of its fairy tale/folk tale qualities.

It's one of those precious not-too-long things where you wish it were longer to have more of it to enjoy, but you know that adding more words
Feliz
This was a beautiful book, by far not as dark as Harper Fox's plots tend to be. My only little niggle is the epilogue part that dragged a bit. however, it's still five stars for overall greatness, magic, an unexpected twist (though the story had it coming...I'm occasionally dense like this),likeable characters who learn and grow (particularly Gavin) and well-thought-out references to old legends. Warmly, highly recommended!!!
Jor Barrie
Nov 26, 2015 Jor Barrie rated it it was amazing
It's the most beautiful story about love in all it's facets; from physical to eternal and everything in between.
It made me shed a tear or two (I'm not admitting to more... ;-)) and also made me wish the Winter Knights were real, so I could go and look them up...
I really felt a bit lost and lonely when I'd finished the book, so I just read it again, which was actually quite interesting knowing the strange twist I now knew was coming...

Really very highly recommended!
Adriana

I love Harper Fox writing and this story was good, but for me it was hard to think about a relationship like the one Gavin and Piers had, (view spoiler).
Deanna Against Censorship
Nov 23, 2012 Deanna Against Censorship rated it really liked it
A beautiful little story of love, acceptance, growth and sharing. The characters were real, flawed and wonderful.
Edina Rose
Dec 06, 2011 Edina Rose rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of this author's writing. This is a nice story, though.
Lillian Francis
May 13, 2012 Lillian Francis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I finished the story and immediately wanted to dive back in and read it again. Always a good sign.
Beautifully written.
  • Men Under the Mistletoe
  • My True Love Gave to Me (Brook Street, #0.5)
  • Mistletoe at Midnight
  • Merry Gentlemen
  • I Heard Him Exclaim
  • Comfort and Joy
  • New York Christmas
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Marlowe's Ghost
  • Love Ahead: Expect Delays
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • Something to Believe In
  • Personal Shopper
  • Christmas Delights
Harper Fox is an M/M author with a mission. She’s produced six critically acclaimed novels in a year and is trying to dispel rumours that she has a clone/twin sister locked away in a study in her basement. In fact she simply continues working on what she loves best– creating worlds and stories for the huge cast of lovely gay men queuing up inside her head. She lives in rural Northumberland in nort ...more
More about Harper Fox...

“My brow found the hollow of his collarbone, the place where we fitted together.” 5 likes