Start by marking “Empire of the Gods” as Want to Read:
Empire of the Gods

Empire of the Gods

Linus is taken prisoner from earth by a barbaric civilization rampaging through our galaxy. He is to be sold into slavery, spending his life toiling in the factories or front lines. Or he may be killed at any time for the amusement of his captors. This evil Empire is ruled by invincible tyrants with limitless abilities. They have powers to make any wish come true just by t ...more
Published September 17th 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Empire of the Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire of the Gods

Randy
Dec 30, 2011 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The aliens came and left Earth's civilization in ruins. Their technology completely overwhelmed us and then they simply loaded billions of people aboard their ships and left. No one knew why they wanted those billions.

Now they had returned.

It was seventy-five years later and civilization had been slow to recover. Mostly farming communities, one small such village were taken and loaded aboard ship.

One of the prisoners was a young man named Linus. During the loading process, some of the people rio
Book Him Danno
I’m not a huge Sci-fi fan, but this was on my Kindle To Read for the Blog list and so I started reading. I contract with myself to give every new book at least 10% before putting it down the first time. I realized I was well over 20% when my kids yelled, “Whats for dinner?” Well that got me moving and I put the book down only to pick it back up a few hours later and finish it the next day.

Linus is a character you can really enjoy, one that is innocent and yet not stupid in any way. Life and dea
David Stag
Apr 17, 2012 David Stag rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-master-works
This is a story where the reader never knows what will happen next. The main character, Linus, sees all levels of a magnificent empire and meets many interesting people along the way. The story is character driven - what citizens of the empire think is just as important as what Linus sees. The book not only presents a series of events, some of them quite fantastic - it also discusses why these things have happened. The central issue is "power" - as in the power to make some people do what others ...more
Ryan Mercer
Aug 21, 2012 Ryan Mercer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely great book. As a previous reviewer said, this book is wonderful for a first time author. One can tell that a great deal of passion went into crafting this story, you truly can tell Stag appreciates good sci-fi and wanted to make his mark on the genre.

Upon first reading about the book I was hoping to be in for something along the lines of Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Peter F. Hamilton... something good that I could really get into and find myself falling for the characters. Well, this
Daniel Lemire
Mar 12, 2012 Daniel Lemire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. This book is is clearly in the top 10% of the scifi books I read in the last few years. They could make a decent movie out of this novel. It is quite a ride and it never gets boring. I found the ending satisfying.

It is not hard scifi. There is little science, and no deep philosophy. But I stayed with the story because the writing is engaging. It is good fun.

There are some minor issues with this book. Firstly, there are a few typos. Nothing that prevented me from conti
J. Keith
Apr 21, 2012 J. Keith rated it it was amazing
Empire of the Gods is a thoroughly enjoyable book. David Stag crafts a gripping tale that keeps you guessing. It begins with teenage Linus being kidnapped along with most of his hometown by alien pirates to be sold into intergalactic slavery. In a story reminiscent of Joseph and his coat of many colors from the Bible, Linus doesn't let his circumstances define him. Instead he rises above his problems and establishes himself in distant worlds.

Empire of the Gods breaks out from the usual formulas
Douglas Bittinger
Started out with an interesting premise, but that premise strangled itself with depression. Some may like this plot/story line, it's just not for me. Dialogue is flat, difficult to stay interested. Laying aside, moving on to next book.
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2016
J. Keith
J. Keith rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Pete Cholawka
Pete Cholawka rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
Sumit Bhalla
Sumit Bhalla rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
MrsBlackmore
MrsBlackmore rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Luke
Luke rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Mildreddavis
Mildreddavis rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2013
James Bowman
James Bowman rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
T.W. Spencer
T.W. Spencer rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2011
Jeremy Carman
Dec 31, 2014 Jeremy Carman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely dark in the beginning, but gets better over time. It has some cool concepts.
P C
P C rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2012
Patrick Stevens
Patrick Stevens rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Kace
Kace rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2012
David Brady
David Brady rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Devin
Devin rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Hadés
Hadés added it
Feb 26, 2012
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2012
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2012
Jillian Berry
Jillian Berry marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2012
G
G added it
Mar 26, 2012
Jennifer R  Ricketts
Jennifer R Ricketts marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2012
Molly Jones
Molly Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2012
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2012
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2012
Gina
Gina is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2012
Ashlee
Ashlee marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2012
Nadiya
Nadiya marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2012
Kayli
Kayli marked it as to-read
May 02, 2012
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
May 03, 2012
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
May 04, 2012
Alfred
Alfred added it
May 07, 2012
Kirst
Kirst marked it as to-read
May 14, 2012
Victoria M.
Victoria M. marked it as to-read
May 17, 2012
Ramona
Ramona marked it as to-read
May 20, 2012
Nevey
Nevey marked it as to-read
May 24, 2012
Abhinav
Abhinav marked it as to-read
May 28, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 29, 2012
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2012
Vahe
Vahe marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2012
Kody
Kody marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2012
Beea20
Beea20 marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2012
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2012
  • Publish Like the Pros: A Brief Guide to Quality Self-Publishing and an Insider's Look at a Misunderstood Industry
  • What Chefs Feed Their Kids: Recipes and Techniques for Cultivating a Love of Good Food
  • Not Your Mother's Book... On Being a Woman
  • We Heard the Heavens Then: A Memoir of Iran
  • Rosemary Opens Her Heart (Home at Cedar Creek, #2)
  • How to Listen to Great Music: A Guide to Its History, Culture, and Heart
  • Temp: An Accidental Fairytale
  • The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow: Surreptitious Superhero
  • There goes the Bride
  • Legacy (Endlessly, #2)
  • Millicent Marie Is Not My Name
  • Amongst My Enemies
  • Finding Our Way Home (Snowglobe Connections, #3)
  • Autumn Winds (Seasons of the Heart #2)
  • Beyond Molasses Creek
  • Craig Claiborne and the American Food Renaissance: The Turbulent Life and Fine Times of the Man Who Changed the Way We Eat
  • The Laughterhouse (Theodore Tate, #3)
  • Life Drawing For Beginners
Now retired, I've been a scientific/technical person my entire life. I have degrees in engineering, 11 patents and have designed industrial machinery used around the world. I play guitar, have raced and restored cars and am a video game fanatic. I am not married, and the inside of my house shows it. Empire of the Gods is my first novel, written mainly because I now have plenty of time on my hands, ...more
More about David Stag...