Start by marking “The Body in the Snowdrift (Faith Fairchild, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Body in the Snowdrift (Faith Fairchild, #15)

The Body in the Snowdrift (Faith Fairchild #15)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  418 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Caterer Faith Fairchild has a bad feeling about her father-in-law's decision to celebrate his seventieth birthday with a family reunion ski week at the Pine Slopes resort in Vermont -- the Fairchilds' favorite getaway since Faith's husband, the Reverend Thomas Fairchild, was a toddler. At first her unease seems unfounded -- until Faith comes across a corpse on one of the c ...more
Published May 30th 2006 by Avon (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Body in the Snowdrift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body in the Snowdrift

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Snow Child by Eowyn IveyThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreStopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert FrostSnowflakes and Coffee Cakes by Joanne DeMaio
Snow
154th out of 193 books — 45 voters
Living History by Hillary Rodham ClintonPrincess Elizabeth's Spy by Susan Elia MacNealThe Prime Minister's Secret Agent by Susan Elia MacNealHis Majesty's Hope by Susan Elia MacNealAlma Mater by Helen Lefkowitz Horowitz
Books by Wellesley Women
62nd out of 108 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy Davie
Jan 28, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Sheri
Dec 12, 2010 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Body in the Snowdrift (Katherine Hall Page)
Murder/Mystery. Another Faith Fairchild mystery. Faith and her husband Reverend Thomas Fairchild go to Vermont for his fathers 70th birthday party. The ski Lodge they are staying at is a family friend of the Fairchilds. Once there Faith finds herself involved a murder mystery. Fun read with the introduction of the Fairfield clan. Interesting up until the last page. Also included at the end some recipes, bakers will be delighted at that!
Cathy Cramer
The 2nd murder in this book was pretty gory.

I probably shouldn't have read this book before its prequels. I found the number of characters confusing, so I sketched a family tree in the inside front cover to help me keep track of them. With so many characters, I was surprised that one wasn't already provided.

Betsy was an over-protective mom in many regards, but I do have to agree with her on one thing: someone shouldn't drive kids somewhere without their parents' permission. That was just over t
Joanna
Nov 07, 2007 Joanna rated it liked it
Some nice bits to this cozy mystery series---the protaganist Faith is married to a minister and runs a catering company but still manages to be fish out of water urbanite in their small town. I'm 15 books in so I will certainly continue to read these as they come out. Also like the included recipes, although I have yet to try to make any. The food sounds so good!
Ann
Apr 27, 2014 Ann rated it liked it
Faith Fairchild and her family have come to Pine Slopes Resort in Vermont with all the members of the Fairchild extended family in order to celebrate the 70th birthday of her father-in-law. As soon as they arrive things begin to go wrong. Faith finds a body in a snowbank, someone puts a "dead body" in the swimming pool, the cook quits and various other things happen that dampen the week's spirits. Faith begins to look into the mystery and takes over cooking too. This was a fair book. The plot wa ...more
Aidan
Oct 25, 2011 Aidan rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-books
In the book Body in the Snowdrift by Katherine Hall Page, the main character, Faith, and her husband named Tom go to a ski resort in Vermont called Pine Slopes for his father’s 70th Birthday. Later on that day she finds 80 year old Boyd Harrison dead and stuck in a snowdrift. Later that week a series of pranks and catastrophes wreck the resorts reputation. These mishaps are a fake body in the pool, someone jamming the chairlift, and the head chef suddenly disappearing. Faith tries to find out w ...more
Judy Goodnight
I was actually surprised to see that this book was an Agatha Award winner for Best Novel. I enjoyed it, but not that much.

My favorite part of the story is seeing the Fairchild clan in all its glory for the first time. Valentines week at a ski resort in Vermont with Tom's mother, father, brothers and sister, and assorted youngsters is not high on Faith's bucket list, but she goes out of love for Tom. Observing the family dynamics & family secrets was the best part of the book.
Lauren Fidler
okay, i've become a katherine hall page master. i can read these and know the killer before faith knows it herself. of course, she never seems to "know" - she seems to just get trapped by the person at the very end and her life gets threatened. i'm not sure how i feel about that. i think every once and awhile it's important for your detective to actually SOLVE the crime, not just stumble into the nefarious perpetrator's dastardly plans at the end. because then faith goes, "oh me! oh my! i didn't ...more
Mary Newcomb
The Fairfield family week long ski trip is far from the simple 70th birthday celebration planned. The bodies start stacking up, Faith ends up running the kitchen and there is family drama. There were a few surprises but Faith ended up solving all. This was a very seasonal read as the snow has been piling up (no bodies thus far) outside.
Marti
Jan 22, 2016 Marti rated it liked it
Again, because my nook is behaving badly, I only got to page 100. I found this to be rather boring in some ways as it concerns one family. The body shows up early in the book, and I kept expecting there to be another body.
Lain
Jan 14, 2010 Lain rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this Faith Fairchild mystery, particularly the less-than-perfect aspects of the Fairchild clan. So far, they've seemed a wee bit TOO perfect, and this book really pulled the curtain back on that!

When the Fairchilds get together in a small Vermont family ski resort to celebrate patriarch Dick's 70th, Faith is less than thrilled. But her worries of too much family togetherness are soon overshadowed by a series of pranks, as well as a death or two. She's also enlisted to run the re
Katherine Clark
I read this for the Monograph. It was the 2005 Best Novel Agatha. I'm torn between calling this a cozy or a traditional, which is a little frustrating, but at the same time, quite interesting and useful for the book.
Bev
Jul 05, 2015 Bev rated it liked it
This is an easy series to like -- exciting moments, humour, and never any doubt that the Good Guys will win -- and recipes. This one is set at a family reunion at a ski resort...lots of characters, the requisite amount of blood and food preparation.
Jodi
Oct 19, 2010 Jodi rated it really liked it
I haven't read this series for years so I am picking it up out of sequence but I found it didn't matter. Faith Fairchild, caterer, is spending Valentine's Day week with her husband Tom's family in Vermont. She'd really prefer to have a root canal. And no wonder. Lots of hidden secrets in the Fairchild clan and they are all revealed during the course of the week. Although this was also a murder mystery, it was not the main focus of the book, but rather the family relationships. They all felt rema ...more
Margot Peter
Feb 01, 2014 Margot Peter rated it it was ok
Lame over reaching murder mystery."easy read but not quality at all in my opinion. Constant references to recipes in the back were annoying. Predictable and trite.
Linda
Aug 20, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Enjoyable - will keep reading others in the series.
Amelia-Irene
Feb 28, 2011 Amelia-Irene rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Faith's father-in-law has made all the plans for his 70th birthday party at the ski resort that the Fairchild family has been going to for years. The problem: Faith has found another body - the body of another friend of the Fairchild family. The question? Is it natural causes? or is it M-U-R-D-E-R???? The resort's long time chef has disappeared and Faith steps in to help, but in the meantime...You'll have to read the book to find out what is what.
Renuka
Jan 16, 2012 Renuka rated it liked it
I wasn't so intrigued with the book to be able to read it straight through. I would read it and take breaks, even though it really is a "quick read" book. The story is about a murder mystery that takes place at a ski resort during a large family gathering. The murderer was difficult to figure out because of the twists in the story. Even so, I didn't find it written in a way that made me want to find out more. It seemed to follow a formula.
Marjorie Bell
Nov 19, 2012 Marjorie Bell rated it really liked it
An entertaining read, in true Katherine Hall Page/Faith Fairchild fashion. Especially so if you, like I, take it up to Vermont for a February weekend to enjoy apres ski/pre-cocktails while celebrating your husband's birthday with the family (a serendipitous library find). I read it through in two sittings. She does a fantastic job of setting the scene.
Karen
Oct 09, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
slow going--too many character names to keep track of (grandparents, adult children and all their children, friends, resort owners and workers). long way around for a "who dunnit" story. couldn't keep my interest for long stretches but decided to finish reading it albeit slowly.
Gwennie
Apr 26, 2007 Gwennie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
For and Agatha winner, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. It was a decent cozy...made me super hungry though. Also, the copy I borrowed from my library smelled like cigarette smoke and that my have colored my perception.
Deborah
Dec 29, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it
While I figured out whodunit, I really enjoy these books. Love the characters and the setting.
Jeannie Eneh
As you read the story it gets more intriguing but I'm still waiting for the BIG plot to jump out at me and make it where I don't want to put the book down. It is an early morning read over a cup of hot java!
Jan
Sep 20, 2009 Jan added it
A book my aunt passed on to me. A new murder mystery series to read. It mentioned Sysco Food Service in there several times!! (Hubby & Daughter both work at a Sysco house!)
Eileen
Jul 15, 2011 Eileen rated it really liked it
I love this author. I hope she writes some new books soon. I think I have read most of her books
now. I need to check and see if I missed any. This was a great read.
Cynthia
May 30, 2010 Cynthia rated it liked it
My first in this series--I liked it. It didn't feel contrived or forced. Liked Faith. I loved the setting (I have eaten at Gracie's). I will try another.
Rita McDonald
May 15, 2012 Rita McDonald rated it liked it
Faith Fairchild who is a caterer and share some of her recipes with us, while she solves all the crimes -
Mysteryfan
Oct 31, 2013 Mysteryfan rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Meh. Not really up to par. I didn't care for the plot. Faith is too much of the superwoman in this one.
Cheryl
Aug 26, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Better than the body in the ivy so will try another by this author.
Jennifer Hall
Aug 03, 2011 Jennifer Hall rated it liked it
I enjoyed learning more about Tom's family, and more about Vermont.
  • Snipe Hunt (Professor Simon Shaw, #2)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • Dead Man's Bones (China Bayles, #13)
  • Prime Time
  • This Old Souse (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #20)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
  • Murder Past Due (Megan Clark, #3)
  • Bread on Arrival (Heaven Lee, #4)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • Mrs. Malory and A Time To Die
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • Death on a Vineyard Beach (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)
  • Letter From Home
  • Mozzarella Most Murderous (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #7)
Katherine Hall Page is the author of fifteen previous Faith Fairchild mysteries, the first of which received the Agatha Award for best first mystery and the most recent of which, The Body in the Snowdrift, was honored with the Agatha Award for best novel. Page also won an Agatha for her short story "The Would-Be Widower." She lives in Massachusetts with her husband and son. (from the publisher's w ...more
More about Katherine Hall Page...

Faith Fairchild (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • The Body in the Kelp (Faith Fairchild, #2)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • The Body in the Vestibule (Faith Fairchild, #4)
  • The Body in the Cast (Faith Fairchild, #5)
  • The Body in the Basement (Faith Fairchild, #6)
  • The Body in the Bog (Faith Fairchild, #7)
  • The Body in the Fjord (Faith Fairchild, #8)
  • The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild, #9)
  • The Body in the Big Apple (Faith Fairchild, #10)