Start by marking “George Bellows: Painter with a Punch!” as Want to Read:
George Bellows: Painter with a Punch!

George Bellows: Painter with a Punch!

No punches are pulled in this fascinating biography that covers the life and work of the prolific artist George Bellows. Having spent most of his adult life in New York City, Bellows left behind an extraordinary body of work that captures life in this dynamic city: bustling street scenes, ringside views of boxing matches, and boys diving and swimming in the East River. Art ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Abrams Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about George Bellows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Bellows

Edward Sullivan
May 22, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
A great introduction to an artist from the "Ashcan School" who unfortunately died very young. Bellows preferred to depict on canvas gritty scenes that reflected early-20th-century New York City at its most real. Excellent reproductions of Bellows' work.
Sandi Rossman
Nov 03, 2013 Sandi Rossman rated it it was ok
Shelves: libs-642
I reviewed this book for the biography-informational category (junior book project). It was one of the 2013 Notable Children's Books.

This biography about George Bellows helps readers understand the man behind the paintings. As a child, George struggled to choose between athletics and art; art obviously won. Bellows' painting show a darker side to New York City. He tried to capture scenes so viewers would feel like they were watching the moment live.

This book captures the setting, New York City
Barbara
May 25, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
This is a well-written, quite accessible biography about painter George Bellows. Unlike many of his contemporaries who preferred to paint idealized versions of the world around them or use as subjects only the most attractive ones, Bellows sought out subjects and settings that allowed him to paint the less attractive, to some, the seamier side of life. Like others in the so-called "Ashcan School" of art, Bellows was interested in movement and depicting how the poor lived. He was known for his pa ...more
Janet Frost
It makes perfect sense that an artist should be introduced in a beautiful picture book. I know that I have seen many of these painting but could not have named the artist. Now I can, living proof that we can learn something everyday. My "grown-up" friends look askance at my addiction to children's literature. But I would wager most of them could not name George Bellows or his works. They(like me) would not likely pick up a 300+ page biography about any artist. So why not enjoy this beautiful, su ...more
Kristin
Mar 24, 2014 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Excellent narrative non-fiction book about the American artist George Bellows, who originally hailed from Columbus, Ohio, but made his name painting gritty urban scenes of life in New York City. I've seen his most famous painting of a boxing match — Stag at Sharkey's — at the Cleveland Museum Art, and it's amazing. That image was not used for the cover of this book, but a similar painting still evokes the sense of action from the more famous work. Lots of examples of his paintings, with descript ...more
Shirley
Jul 16, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
An interesting book to read about how art back in the early 1900s was supposed to depict the beauty in life, not the everyday darkness that we normally find in real life. George Bellows was an athlete who made a decision to become a painter who depicted everyday scenes. I wanted to read this book because one painting "Lady Jean" was so familiar...it shows a little girl, with serious blue eyes, looking at the painter, and dressed up in a striped outfit, with matching bag and head piece. I can't r ...more
Heidi
This beautifully constructed biography explores the life and works of painter/athlete George Bellows. Text is set apart on a lighter background, making it accessible for younger children as well as older. The writing is lively, a good match for Bellows' goal of "creating a 'you are there' feeling" (26). The number of exclamation points is a bit off-putting, though. Even so, the author’s skill at combining art criticism and story in a way that reflects the contradiction of Bellows makes it an enj ...more
Bruce
May 27, 2013 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Burleigh has written a brief and lively biography of athlete and artist George Bellows, whose paintings of New York street life in the first few decades of the twentieth century are prized for their gritty realism and powerful sense of action. Bellows’s paintings and sketches and those of his contemporaries are beautifully reproduced and displayed alongside Burleigh’s vivid text by book designer Maria T. Middleton.
Amy Carr
Mar 26, 2013 Amy Carr rated it really liked it
I knew almost nothing about this American painter and was afraid (judging from the cover of the book) that I wasn't going to be all that interested in him...but I was wrong. The book does a beautiful job of weaving his life story together with his paintings to tell a really interesting story! Excellent biography on this artist!
Laura Phelps
Jun 03, 2012 Laura Phelps rated it really liked it
Shelves: possiblemsba2012
This is an interesting biography of a relatively unknown artist. While I think it will find some readers (art teachers will be psyched to share this title and it will make for a great read aloud to prompt discussion about primary sources) I’m not sure that it will have wide appeal, given the rather obscure subject.
Brenda Kahn
Feb 26, 2013 Brenda Kahn rated it liked it
Found out about this book by following a link to a blog post about using it to teach the difference between persuasive and argumentative writing. Wasn't too fond of the present tense narration but found the artist's work fascinating. Now, I need to find that link and reread the post.
Luann
May 05, 2015 Luann rated it really liked it
Recommended to Luann by: JLG
I love that the book contains so many paintings by George Bellows. It's as if George Bellows himself illustrated this biography. Nice!

Too bad none of his paintings are displayed close by where I live. I would like to see them in person!
Christina
Dec 04, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, nonfiction
Beautiful book, illustrated with Bellow's paintings of boxers, New York City street scenes, and other examples of the "Ashcan School" of American art. I was surprised and pleased to learn that he was from Columbus Ohio. Has many notes and descriptions next to the art.
Sharon Lawler
From the cover to cover, I was struck by the strength and cultural history in subject matter of the paintings. The generous spacing between text and illustration renders a gallery type experience. This is a beautiful book. Source notes, bibliography, illustration credits, and index.
Mrs. Tongate
Oct 04, 2013 Mrs. Tongate rated it liked it
George Bellows, an athlete and painter, who depicted everyday scenes in NYC. A great read-aloud for secondary art teachers. I enjoyed that the illustrations were the artist's actual paintings.
Jamil
Sep 21, 2012 Jamil rated it liked it
one of the better young-reader aimed artist bios that I've read. gave me a greater appreciation for George Bellows than studying art-history did.
Karen
Jun 22, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
A fantastic story about an artist I knew nothing about. The text is well written, and the artist's paintings are breathtaking.
Carol
I loved that this book was illustrated with the artist's actual paintings. His story was fascinating and seeing his actual paintings and scetches made it that much better!
Virginia
Virginia rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Sheree
Sheree rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Colby Sharp
Colby Sharp rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Danell Burney
Danell Burney rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Elisabeth Ellington
Elisabeth Ellington rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Lteegarden
Lteegarden rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Melynda Jones
Melynda Jones rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Over the past 35 years, I have published poems, reviews, essays, many filmstrips and videos, and more than 40 children's picture books.

Born and raised in Chicago, I graduated from DePauw University (Greencastle, Indiana) and later received an MA in humanities from the University of Chicago. I've published books for children since the early 1990s. My books - including numerous unpublished ones! -
More about Robert Burleigh...