Start by marking “The Hooded Hawke (Elizabeth I, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Hooded Hawke (Elizabeth I, #9)

The Hooded Hawke (Elizabeth I #9)

The popular sports and games of the queen's realm, unfortunately, include treachery, treason, and murder.

Elizabeth and her court depart London for a summer progress replete with great manor houses, rural receptions, outdoor repasts, forbidden romance, and games and sport. By royal command, the young Francis Drake joins the entourage. A ship's captain in his pre-glory days
Published February 20th 2007 by Minotaur Books

Moonmomie
Nov 17, 2008 Moonmomie rated it really liked it
I'm biased because I adore this particular genre and time period, and I thoroughly enjoyed this entire series of books by Karen Harper. They are written very similarly to Fiona Buckley's Ursla Blanchard Mysteries.... almost confusingly so. This series focuses on Queen Elizabeth I, herself, solving the murders of her subjects. Absolutely fictitious activities frequent the books (Elizabeth leaving the castle in disguise to chase down clues and criminals). But, this is why it is Historical "Fiction ...more
Denise
May 17, 2011 Denise rated it liked it
When authors write multiple books in a series it is a given that not every one will be brilliant. Some may only earn a rating of "fair" by the readers. So it is here. This tale wandered quite a bit and the ending was almost an afterthought. If this is the end of the series it would have been nice to weave in the queen's feelings on never marrying or having children. This was a time when religion and society preached that marrying and bearing children were the main reasons that women existed. Not ...more
Karen
May 29, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
This wasn't my favorite of the series, as it kind of plodded along, and at the end, finally got up to the pace I expect. I do think part of the slowness is due to Meg Milligrew not being herself - she's such an integral part of the other books that her lesser, quieter part this time was noticeable.

All in all, a good story; the whole premise of the series is slightly implausible, but that doesn't detract that much from it, due to the details Karen Harper adds to her stories.
Thalia
Mar 23, 2011 Thalia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudor, mystery
It seemed to drag out (even though it's only 225 pages). I did, however, find myself very impressed with the author's ability to portray Elizabeth - very believable, just as I've imagined her. She's witty, cutting, passionate, clever and THE BOSS. The end was a bit abrupt and lack lustre, the mystery not really being all that fabulous in this one. However, I shall try another of this series...perhaps number one?
Stacey
Feb 22, 2010 Stacey rated it it was ok
I usually enjoyed this light Elizabethan series. This one was quite disappointing. It did not capture my attention like the others in the series. The ending made me believe that it was the last one she was going to write, so maybe she had just run out of excitement for the series when she was writing it.
Liz
May 29, 2014 Liz rated it it was ok
When I started this book I didn't know that it was part of a series and it didn't matter because it would work as a standalone as well. This book was slow for most of it but picked up pace at the very end. This one was ok and reading it I didn't intend to read any of the others but I am seeing that other reviewers liked the others in the series more so I think I'll give another one a try.
Merle
Jul 12, 2008 Merle rated it really liked it
As Elizabeth I ages, it gets continually harder to accept the fantastic premise that she can escape her role in disguise with the help of her long-time servants. That granted, however, the series remains well crafted light entertainment with interesting historical tidbits.
Beth
Jun 21, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
Much better than the previous entry in the series: A Fatal Fashione. This book focused more on Elizabeth and I felt captured her character much more accurately.
Ursula
Mar 13, 2012 Ursula rated it really liked it
Harper has a really good sense of history
Audrey
Harder to get into than previous books in this series

Took me far longer to get into this book, it wasn't as much of a page turner as the others
Stacey Andrews
Feb 26, 2011 Stacey Andrews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudor-fiction
Last one in the series to date!
Jessica
A fun read, as all the Karen Harper books I've read have been.
Sonjamarie
Sonjamarie rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2008
Luisa
Luisa rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2010
Amy Scordalakes-Sabor
Amy Scordalakes-Sabor rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2008
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2009
Debby Zigenis-Lowery
Debby Zigenis-Lowery rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
amanda
amanda rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2009
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2011
Viji
Viji rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Abrariley
Abrariley rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2010
LisaK
LisaK rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • Face Down Beneath the Eleanor Cross (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #4)
  • The Gazebo (Miss Silver, #27)
  • The Queen's Exiles (Thornleigh, #6)
  • The Times We Had: Life with William Randolph Hearst
  • Firedrake's Eye (David Becket and Simon Ames, #1)
  • Coaster
  • The Nine Giants
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more
More about Karen Harper...

Elizabeth I (9 books)
  • The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)
  • The Tidal Poole (Elizabeth I, #2)
  • The Twylight Tower (Elizabeth I, #3)
  • The Queene's Cure (Elizabeth I, #4)
  • The Thorne Maze (Elizabeth I, #5)
  • The Queene's Christmas (Elizabeth I, #6)
  • The Fyre Mirror (Elizabeth I, #7)
  • The Fatal Fashione (Elizabeth I, #8)