Start by marking “Bright Baby First Words” as Want to Read:
Bright Baby First Words

Bright Baby First Words (Bright Baby)

From ‘boat' and ‘car' to ‘apple' and ‘banana' this book provides the youngest readers with the fundamental first words that will form the foundation of their vocabulary. Babies and toddlers will love the brightly colored images on every page, and the board book format is the perfect size for little hands to hold.
Board Book, 26 pages
Published August 1st 2004 by Priddy Books

To ask other readers questions about Bright Baby First Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright Baby First Words

Ky-Ky Shakira's Cousin
gvciywqeughcieowr
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Another recommendation from my speech pathology friend, who said that kids love this one. As an adult, it's hard to find the appeal, but that doesn't make it a dud. I'm just not the intended audience.

The book is very basic and consists of simple vocabulary paired with a photo of the noun - not illustrations, but photos. Girl, boy, coat, socks, car, dog, teddy and so on. It does have the US spelling of "aeroplane" though, but that's okay. It's a good vocab book and I'll be curious to see what my
Chris K Polizzi
.50 goodwill
Destiny Dawn Long
The photos are bright, colorful, and very appealing to the eyes of toddlers. However, as another reviewer observed, sometimes they seemed too special and unique to be applied universally by children. There was also the problem where I just didn't see some of the words as essential "firsts" for babies. I have decided that I prefer thematic concept books to the more general first words style books.

She has the English-Spanish Colors book from the same series and I like that one better.
Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 Alicia rated it it was ok
I like that this book has real photographs, but the author chose pictures that sometimes can be called different things, like bear or teddy or teddy bear. I wish it had less ambiguous words. Also, sometimes the pictures were a little unique. I wish they had been more universal. With these changes it would be a better vocabulary builder for young children.
Josh Forbes
Apr 16, 2013 Josh Forbes rated it really liked it
Brilliant piece of modern avant garde prose! There's no story. Just disjointed words and pictures. Poetry at its core. The passage about "fish" chilled me. The one about "chair" gave me gooseflesh. I don't want to spoil the ending, but it has a Shyamalanian twist that can't be shaken.

Well done!
Rob
May 14, 2008 Rob rated it it was amazing
This book is more profound than I thought. Neleah is learning a bunch of words from this book and I didn't realize it at first, but they have chosen words that are usually around the house so we can reinforce them. She still thinks everything is a telephone though. Oh well.
Brynja Carlson
Dec 23, 2012 Brynja Carlson rated it liked it
When Brynja was born the hospital gave us this book and I thought it was so dumb I almost gave it to the thrift store. But I'm glad I didn't! Each page has a picture and one word, and Brynja likes it because she can "read" this entire book all by herself (age 18 months).
Jamie
Jul 19, 2012 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
didnt like it as much as bright baby animals. with the animal book you can make sound effects, so althoug it's good, i didnt have as much fun making sound effects and i think that was part of the reason the 4 month old twins liked it
Tommy
Mar 28, 2011 Tommy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't as much a favorite as the animal book, but the kids like the brightly colored pages.
Danny
Mar 28, 2011 Danny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lorri
Jan 16, 2009 Lorri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xander-s-shelf
One of Xander's favorites. We can't go a day in our house without reading this book.
Kate Walker
Mar 31, 2008 Kate Walker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Great series. Bright photographs on contrasting backgrounds.
Jacob
Dec 09, 2010 Jacob rated it it was amazing
i read this 445,634,200 times on the way to france.
Sharon
May 08, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Danny loved the bright illustrations in this book.
Tommy
May 03, 2011 Tommy rated it really liked it
The boys like to spell these words.
Danny
May 01, 2011 Danny rated it really liked it
The boys like to spell these words.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Hurasp
Hurasp rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
H H
H H added it
Aug 24, 2016
George Wilkins
George Wilkins marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Lbwatkins
Lbwatkins rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Cheerios Play Book
  • Curious George's Opposites
  • Good Night, I Love You
  • Baby Happy Baby Sad
  • I Like It When . . .
  • Touch & Feel: FARM
  • Potty Time with Elmo (Sesame Street)
  • That's Not My Monkey...
  • Duck & Goose, How Are You Feeling?
  • Where Is Baby's Birthday Cake?: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Oops! A Diaper David Book
  • Wild Animals (Touch and Feel)
  • I Love You, Good Night
  • Baby Animals
  • Perfect Piggies!
  • The New Adventures of Curious George
  • Mirror Me!: A Mirror Book (Baby Einstein)
  • Baby Beluga
Roger Priddy left school at 16 with just one qualification—in art. He went to Berkshire College of Art and Design and trained as an illustrator. His first job in children’s books was working with the publisher Peter Usborne, at Usborne Publishing, and then he worked with Peter Kindersley at Dorling Kindersley, where he spent 16 years. Priddy became Creative Director of DK’s Children’s Division and ...more
More about Roger Priddy...

Bright Baby (8 books)
  • Bright Baby Animals
  • Bright Baby Colors
  • Chunkies Bright Baby Chunky: Farm
  • Bright Baby Chunky: Dinosaurs
  • Chunkies Bright Baby Chunky: Kittens
  • Puppies (Bright Baby Chunky)
  • Bright Baby Trucks