Bright Baby First Words

Bright Baby First Words (Bright Baby)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  17 reviews
From ‘boat’ and ‘car’ to ‘apple’ and ‘banana’ this book provides the youngest readers with the fundamental first words that will form the foundation of their vocabulary. Babies and toddlers will love the brightly colored images on every page, and the board book format is the perfect size for little hands to hold....more
Board Book, 26 pages
Published August 1st 2004 by Priddy Books

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Another recommendation from my speech pathology friend, who said that kids love this one. As an adult, it's hard to find the appeal, but that doesn't make it a dud. I'm just not the intended audience.

The book is very basic and consists of simple vocabulary paired with a photo of the noun - not illustrations, but photos. Girl, boy, coat, socks, car, dog, teddy and so on. It does have the US spelling of "aeroplane" though, but that's okay. It's a good vocab book and I'll be curious to see what my...more
Destiny Dawn Long
The photos are bright, colorful, and very appealing to the eyes of toddlers. However, as another reviewer observed, sometimes they seemed too special and unique to be applied universally by children. There was also the problem where I just didn't see some of the words as essential "firsts" for babies. I have decided that I prefer thematic concept books to the more general first words style books.

She has the English-Spanish Colors book from the same series and I like that one better.
Alicia
I like that this book has real photographs, but the author chose pictures that sometimes can be called different things, like bear or teddy or teddy bear. I wish it had less ambiguous words. Also, sometimes the pictures were a little unique. I wish they had been more universal. With these changes it would be a better vocabulary builder for young children.
Josh Forbes
Brilliant piece of modern avant garde prose! There's no story. Just disjointed words and pictures. Poetry at its core. The passage about "fish" chilled me. The one about "chair" gave me gooseflesh. I don't want to spoil the ending, but it has a Shyamalanian twist that can't be shaken.

Well done!
Rob
This book is more profound than I thought. Neleah is learning a bunch of words from this book and I didn't realize it at first, but they have chosen words that are usually around the house so we can reinforce them. She still thinks everything is a telephone though. Oh well.
Brynja Carlson
When Brynja was born the hospital gave us this book and I thought it was so dumb I almost gave it to the thrift store. But I'm glad I didn't! Each page has a picture and one word, and Brynja likes it because she can "read" this entire book all by herself (age 18 months).
Jamie
didnt like it as much as bright baby animals. with the animal book you can make sound effects, so althoug it's good, i didnt have as much fun making sound effects and i think that was part of the reason the 4 month old twins liked it
Tommy
This isn't as much a favorite as the animal book, but the kids like the brightly colored pages.
Danny
Lorri
One of Xander's favorites. We can't go a day in our house without reading this book.
Kate Walker
Great series. Bright photographs on contrasting backgrounds.
Jacob
i read this 445,634,200 times on the way to france.
Sharon
Danny loved the bright illustrations in this book.
Aiden
Jun 06, 2014 Aiden rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Babies 10M-18M
A gift from Mommy. Jack gave it 5 stars.
Tommy
The boys like to spell these words.
Danny
The boys like to spell these words.
Kathy
QiHui
QiHui added it
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Roger Priddy left school at 16 with just one qualification—in art. He went to Berkshire College of Art and Design and trained as an illustrator. His first job in children’s books was working with the publisher Peter Usborne, at Usborne Publishing, and then he worked with Peter Kindersley at Dorling Kindersley, where he spent 16 years. Priddy became Creative Director of DK’s Children’s Division and...more
More about Roger Priddy...
First 100 Words My Big Animal Book My Big Truck Book Bright Baby Animals B is for Bear