Start by marking “My True Love Gave to Me (Brook Street, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
My True Love Gave to Me (Brook Street, #0.5)

My True Love Gave to Me (Brook Street 0.5)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  550 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Alexander Norton loathes the festive season. The revelry of the ton is a reminder of Christmas four years ago, when his first love, Thomas Bennett, broke his heart and fled to New York without a word. So when he encounters Thomas at a holiday ball, Alexander is determined not to let on how much he still hurts.

Thomas has returned for one reason only: Alexander. Having fina

Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 126 pages
Published by Carina Press (first published December 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My True Love Gave to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My True Love Gave to Me

The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeOne Indulgence by Lydia GastrellAll In with the Duke by Ava MarchBeguiled by Joanna ChambersProvoked by Joanna Chambers
MM Regency Romance
22nd out of 51 books — 45 voters
The Magpie Lord by K.J. CharlesWiddershins by Jordan L. HawkThe Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeDowntime by Tamara AllenThink of England by K.J. Charles
Best Gay Historical Romance
237th out of 562 books — 1,040 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucy
Mar 29, 2016 Lucy rated it really liked it
I wanted to hate Thomas, I did. He left Alexander (Sasha) in a painful, cruel way; one that kept Sasha in emotional pain for such a long time. Yet, you have to take into consideration the times and the fear. I still wanted to shake him, but it was a little more understandable as you read on.

I loved that Sasha was a changed person due to Thomas' defection and cruelty, and that he didn't just up and jump back into his arms. Sasha was hurt, very deeply. His heart was broken and it changed him. Thi
Catherine
I have no idea why I have been putting off reading this book for as long as I have. I thought I'd dislike M/M historical romances, but Ava March has made me into a total convert.

This Christmas novella pretty much shattered my heart in the opening third of the book, but to give credit where credit is due... When March puts you back together, she puts you back together goooooood! The happily ever after in this story was so romantical I was sighing out loud in my apartment. Seriously! Why can't me
Jacq
Dec 26, 2014 Jacq rated it really liked it
Sigh...a nice soft read!
Vio
Dec 08, 2011 Vio rated it really liked it
I love my historical romances and this one didn't disappoint. Alex and Thomas the two young lovers have a troubled and angst filled relationship. When they finally reunite and after some highly charged encounters persistence and love pays off. An enjoyable Christmas story even with all the melodrama.
Alissa
Jun 29, 2015 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I adore Ava March .. she is one of my go to authors because I love nothing better than a m/m historical. Her books are always so well done and My True Love Gave to Me is no exception.

Thomas and Alexander are young and in love ... only 19. They are students at Oxford. Thomas is shy and still questioning his sexuality while Alexander is bold and secure in who he is and what he wants. 2 days before Christmas they decide to get away so they can be alone. So they can take that "next step" in their re
Monique
Jan 19, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it
I don't think I've ever read m/m historical erotic romances before and I enjoyed my first experience.

I understood that Thomas was scared but I was so angry with him. Furious with him actually, just because he hurt Alexander so much when Alexander was so in love with him. It hurt to read how anguished Alexander was by Thomas quick departure and how much it changed him as a person.

But I was happy when they finally made up. They both deserve to have some happiness and spend a lifetime with each ot
willaful
A simple, but emotionally charged historical romance. Alex and Thomas fell in love as students at Oxford, but Thomas was too frightened to continue their affair and ran away to New York. Four years later, Thomas has realized that he’ll never be able to stop wanting men or loving Alex -- but the Alex he left behind is now very bitter and reluctant to be vulnerable again. Despite the historical setting, the focus is almost entirely on the emotional/sexual aspects of their situation, with lots of g ...more
Sandra
I love this series, yet somehow I managed to miss this one and so I'm reading it last. Doesn't really matter. These guys were mentioned in Fortune Hunter so I went back to read about them, no biggie. I enjoyed it, it's similar to the others but different enough that it doesn't feel like the same book. I actually cried for poor Alexander because it was so heartbreaking. And I liked how much of a dick he was later (you can't just get over that kind of hurt so quickly!) I also thought it made it so ...more
Lauraadriana
Dec 06, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This story was quite good, and was very much in tune with the holiday theme. All about atonement and coming home to make things right.

Thomas left Alex four years before without a goodbye or even a word. But from the moment he did, he was sorry. Now he's come back hoping that this is the last Christmas that he has to spend without his Alex. But Alex has very little left of the boy Thomas knew, being abandoned and left with his heart broken as he was...Thomas has to make things right, and
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
Young Love Written Ever So Sweetly!

This book ends my reading for the year 2012, and it is awesome to end the year on a good note

Read December 31, 2012

The Book~

It has a sprinkle of angst after many stolen kisses, and un-expectably a super hot read that is adorably written, and has historical sweetness, that transcended me with ease to the year of 1822, I loved that!

Although this is Christmas story of sorts, I believe this treasure can be read during any season of the year, when you need a dash o
sraxe
They were idiots and acted like assholes to one another...and I completely understood where they were both coming from. I felt that their apprehension and misgivings were genuine and believable.

My greatest complaint is that I wish it'd been longer and we get more of them living their lives, both together and apart. I wanted to see their initial meetings and tentative explorations. I wanted to see what made Thomas so afraid. I wanted to watch them apart and see Alexander/Sasha grow cold in Englan
Susana
Dec 22, 2015 Susana rated it really liked it
Nikki
One of my chief guilty pleasures is reading Josh Lanyon's gay romances. This book came in an anthology with one of his, so I decided to try it. It's a regency-period historical m/m romance, with lots of pretty explicit sex and a surprisingly sweet love story. I did get to care about Sasha and Thomas, despite all the sex, angst and drama that threatened to drown the story.

Probably best read over Christmas, but ssh. I wasn't allowed to buy it till my essays were done.
Lee Brazil
Dec 11, 2011 Lee Brazil rated it really liked it
This was a lovely story about two young men, one who is certain that the world is his for the asking- including forbidden love, and another who is sure that his love is damned.

It could have been a novel, but it's a short story for the holidays, and as such it is perfect. Heartwarming, hot, and in keeping with the spirit of the season.

Heather C
I actually read this one after completing the Brook Street Trilogy. And while it isn't my favorite of the series, I did enjoy it. I already know that Bennett and Norton are pretty much going to last forever, but I would be questioning that at the end of this story if I hadn't already read the rest of the series.
MsMiz (Tina)
Dec 06, 2011 MsMiz (Tina) rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt-all, pdf
This was a holiday story done right. We get to really know Sasha and Thomas and love their Christmas tale. This is a typical setting for Ava March, but it is so good and she does it so right every.single.time.

This book does contain young love heartbreak and then beautiful holiday forgiveness. Enjoy!
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
The title actually could not be more accurate. Keep that in mind. ;)

We have Alexander (or Sasha as his love calls him) and Thomas (his love) and these two young men are dealing with all of the societal difficulties and legal restrictions that were entrenched during this time period. How March continually manages to handle all of this while giving us what is essentially a true love story, I’m still amazed, and want more.

Her ease with words and dialogue, particularly for the times, is definitely h
Jayhjay
Dec 10, 2011 Jayhjay rated it really liked it
This review was originally published on my blog Joyfully Jay as part of my review of the Men Under the Mistletoe anthology

Alexander Norton and Thomas Bennett are two young men in love. Although Alexander previously shared some stolen moments with other boys at school, Thomas is totally new to a relationship with a man. After sneaking time together, the men decide to take their romance further and travel to Alexander's father's hunting lodge to have a night alone. But when they arrive, Thomas pan
Annelise Lestrange
May 30, 2012 Annelise Lestrange rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, m-m, historical
Ava March alread did better books... I mean, at first, I thought this would be different and cooler, because the story beggins in Thomas and Sacha's youth... And I'm not even gonna mention how much space for desenvolving that exists on the plot. Sacha's lover could be more attached to him, for example. Thomas could've done more for Sacha as he apologized. God, he deserved to suffer more!!

Now the good things. I was touched by the way Ava described Sacha's fellings towards Thomas' abandon. I almos
Brandilyn
Jan 09, 2016 Brandilyn rated it really liked it
Sasha (Alexander to everyone else) is in love with Thomas. He thinks the feeling is mutual. All they have had are stolen moments at school, but Sasha wants more. After a steamy tryst in a carriage, they decide to take a trip to Sasha's father's Hunting Cabin for some privacy. However once they get there, Thomas can't proceed and walks out of Sasha's life. Breaking Sasha's heart and spirit in the process. Of course this all happened on Christmas Eve or Christmas Eve Eve, never really figured that ...more
☆♥☆Kat★♡★
This one was the most heartbreaking but still so beautiful. I ship all these couples so hard.
Mtsnow13
Very sweet, even though I really felt so sad about Sasha's broken heart :(

Review to follow.
Adriana
Dec 26, 2012 Adriana rated it really liked it

I'm not a fan of historicals but I enjoyed reading this one.
This story is little bit of bittersweet with a happy "ending", I don't know if it is a HFN or a HEA.
What I don't like about historicals is the uncertainty of the relationship, I would love for the couple to live happy for ever and ever, but because of the time (1821) I know that their time together is hard...
Anyway Ava March always delivers good stories and I liked this Christmas tale.
Bo
Jul 18, 2014 Bo rated it it was amazing
Perfect Introduction to the Brook Street Series

A beautifully constructed (and written) romance that takes place in the Regency period of English history (1820s). It features a stormy and sometimes heart breaking romance between two 23-year-old well-positioned young men, Alexander (Sasha) Norton, who fell in love with Thomas Bennett four years previously when they were at Oxford, and initiated Thomas into what was seemingly a searing romance at the time.

Thomas, however, panics at exactly the wron
Monika

3.5 Stars

In lieu of writing reviews – I’m taking an extended break – I decided to leave this list showing the reasons for the stars I’ve given to the stories I’ve read.

5 Stars – Given to stories that had me falling in love with the characters, had me so engaged in the plot I couldn’t put the book down and stories that either made me cry buckets and/or laugh until I cried.
4 Stars– Given to stories that I REALLY enjoyed reading but had me wishing for just a bit more.
3 Stars – Given to stories t
MishyJo
I absolutely loved that story. Since it was part of an anthology, the ending snuck up on me. I wasn't ready for it to be done. At all. And now I am done with the series. Boo :(
Virginia
Dec 05, 2011 Virginia rated it really liked it
Historical novella with a strong emotional punch. You feel the pain as these two former lovers try to reconnect. No one does M/M historical like Ava March.
Eve
May 01, 2016 Eve rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a heartbreaking story. Thomas Bennet and Alexander Norton are mates at Oxford. What everyone doesn't know is that these two have been closer than friends for a while now. When Alexander, or Sasha as Thomas lovingly calls him in private, arranges a night alone for the two of them, Bennet freaks and runs. But he runs far, far away all the way to New York. Norton feels deceived, cheated and abandoned by Bennet. Four years later, Bennet shows up ready to claim Alexander. Alexander makes hi ...more
Chris
May 07, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good historical holiday m/m romance about young love, fear, and trying for a second chance, even if you're not sure you deserve one.
Feliz
Dec 06, 2011 Feliz rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical
This was an okay read, nice and sweet Christmas story though both protags acted a bit over-dramatic.
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Lone Star
  • A Private Gentleman
  • The Christmas Wager
  • The Lion of Kent
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Earth and Sun, Cedar and Sage (Gideon and Jedediah, #2)
1978003
Ava March is a bestselling author of sexy, emotionally intense M/M historical erotic romances. She loves writing in the Regency time period, where proper decorum is of the utmost importance, but where anything can happen behind closed doors. With over fifteen works to her credit, her books have been finalists in the Rainbow Awards and More Than Magic contest, and deemed ‘must-haves’ for Historical ...more
More about Ava March...

Brook Street (3 books)
  • Thief (Brook Street, #1)
  • Fortune Hunter (Brook Street, #2)
  • Rogues (Brook Street, #3)