Start by marking “Take My Heart” as Want to Read:
Take My Heart

Take My Heart (Colonial Romance Series #1)

Switching roles and the pursuit of freedom come together in the hunt to discover who can be trusted and who is really the traitor during the Colonial times.

Mercedes Maxwell’s sister’s last wish was for Mercedes to find evidence against Kat’s husband, William Braxton, and have him hung as a traitor to the crown. Mercedes isn’t naïve when it comes to capturing traitors, beca
Published September 22nd 2011 by Canyonland Press

To ask other readers questions about Take My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take My Heart

Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I sighed in contentment with a grin on my face as I finished the book.

There are often stories of twins who switch places. In this case it is the evil twin and the good twin. The evil twin, Katherine (kat), set her sister up by claiming she married an evil man who was part of the revolutionary movement in Colonial America. The good twin, Mercedes, sees it her duty as a loyal British citizen to bring down the man who made her sister suffer.

Obviously, the situation on both sides is not what it appe
Kathryn Cooper
Nov 07, 2012 Kathryn Cooper rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on Clean Adult Fiction

Oooo this book was GOOOD!! I loved it. At the request of her dying twin, Mercy took her place to find the twin's husband a traitor to the crown. From what her twin said Mercy expected Mr. Braxton to be a monster. What she found confused her to say the least.

Wow! The romance was wonderful! They both were hiding secrets which frustrated me. I kept yelling "just tell the truth to each other!!" Anyway, this book was great, filled with betrayal, love, and adventure.

Th
Wanda Luce
Nov 06, 2011 Wanda Luce rated it it was amazing
Few authors have mastered the art of storytelling like Marie Higgins. In this Colonial-era romance, Marie takes her reader on a wild ride. Every chapter, every scene, every line envelopes the reader's senses and imagination with passionate romance, deep emotional struggles, unexpected twists and turns, and neverending ups and downs. I have never read a Colonial before but was delightfully surprised with how greatly I enjoyed the setting. I have read three of Marie's books so far, and although ea ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Jan 24, 2013 Aimee (Getting Your Read On) rated it really liked it
My heart has just let out a little sigh of happiness. I just finished reading Take My Heart and it was everything sweet and romantic. I pretty much polished it off in a day and then wished I hadn't read through it so fast so I could have made it last just a little bit longer.

I love the setting just prior to the American Revolution. William is a part of setting things in motion for the revolution. He has a vision of a better life for his children but that vision marks him as a traitor to the crow
Teya Peck
Mar 13, 2013 Teya Peck rated it it was amazing
THis was a very gripping story. She delves into her characters amazingly well. THey just come to life off the page. I will admit it was a bit predictable, yet even through the predictability it was good with twists and turns. I think what it was is at about 70percent through the book, I had to put it down and be a mom and home maker, imagine that! So it was a whole day before I was able to pick it up and continue, it took me longer than I hoped to get back into it. THat of course was my fault no ...more
Katie
Jun 06, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
I love books about twins switching places. This was great romance and I wonderful read. Looking forward to reading more of the series.
Lynelle Clark
A Beautiful story I can recommend.
As I understand it "Take my Heart" was featured before under another name, but since I did not read the first edition this was a enjoyable read I can recommend to all lovers of historical romance and not to worried about the authenticity of the period.
Right from the start you are pulled in to the lives of twin sisters Mercedes and Katherine and just like Mercedes you think this man William Braxton must be the scum of the earth.
Your heart went out for Katherine
Julie
Jan 14, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
This is another historical fiction with unique elements to it. Mercedes is called to an insane asylum to visit her twin sister. She hasn't seen Katherine since her sister's marriage to William Braxton, but is shocked to see the depressed shell of a sister lying on a dirty mattress. Kat tells her how brutal her husband is and how awful her life was with him. She says that she believes William to be a spy against the crown. Mercedes is a widow of a man who used to hunt down spies and turn them ove ...more
Mary Walling
Nov 30, 2011 Mary Walling rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adults and Older
Recommended to Mary by: Author
Pretending You Are Mine
Book One in the "Patriots Saga"
Marie Higgins

Mercedes Maxwell and Katherine Braxton are identical twins. One sweet, gentle, kind, and loving. The other evil, sadistic, coniving, self-serving and insane.
When Katherine dies in and insane asylum, Mercedes is heartbroken and angry. Katherine has told her about William Braxron and the horrific husband he has been to her and his children; that she believes him to be a traitor to the crown and has made Mercedes promise to seek
Andrea
Oct 04, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I haven't read very many books that take place in the Colonial Period, but being a fan of historical fiction in general, I was excited to read Take My Heart. The author, Marie Higgins, refers to her books as "sweet historical romances." I think that is a great way to describe Take My Heart. It was a bit lighter on historical details than I was anticipating, but I did get a feel for both sides of the political issues of the time. This was unique because most of what I've read during thi
L_manning
Feb 27, 2013 L_manning rated it really liked it
Mercedes's sister is ill. As Mercedes talks to her, she discovers that her sister's husband, William Braxton, has been incredibly unkind. Unfortunately her sister dies, leaving Mercedes to heed her sister's dying wish that she uncover evidence that William is a traitor to the crown. Mercedes soon inserts herself into her sister's life, but William is nothing like the monster her sister portrayed. Things will be turned upside down as Mercedes tries to unravel the truth about her sister's life.

Thi
Maureen Timerman
Dec 25, 2012 Maureen Timerman rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I have read books dealing with the Revolutionary War, but this is story takes place during Colonial times, some of what was going on prior. We all know what remember studying the War, but putting face on what it was living at this time was interesting.
Mercedes sister Kat has died in an asylum, she begged Mercedes to avenge the person, her husband, who has brought her to this point. She promises, and takes off to see if she can trap him as a traitor.
What Mercedes never expected is to fall in love
Sheila
Jan 21, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Once again I have fallen in love with a novel written by Marie Higgins! She truly knows how to write an engaging romance. Right from the beginning of this novel, you are drawn in with the mystery of Mercedes trying to fulfill her sister's last request:whether or not Kat's husband, William Braxton, is a spy. The colonial setting is fresh, and interesting, and a time period that is not already over-saturated in the world of romance novels.

I love how Marie brings her characters together with such
Ruth Hill
Jan 19, 2013 Ruth Hill rated it it was amazing
I am so pleased to be able to give this book my highest rating and recommendation. It was an absolute delight to read, and I cannot think of any portion of the book I did not like. It is a completely clean historical romance--no profanity, no sex. In fact, it would appear that this story comes from a Christian perspective. It's always nice to see God in a book even if He is somewhat in the background. I also appreciated the mystery and tension the author added--fantastic!

The author's writing sty
Kristen
Feb 01, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shellie
Jul 30, 2012 Shellie rated it really liked it
What would you do if you had an identical twin sister who lived her life in a terrible marriage and wound up in an asylum, and after your first visit, she committed suicide? What would you do if that same sister made you promise to seek out her evil husband for revenge? You would do whatever you had to do to avenge her death...right? Let's just say you find this 'evil' husband and you learn that he is actually one of the best men you have ever met, in every sense of the word. He is not the evil ...more
Melissa
Feb 14, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
Really liked this book by Marie Higgins. It's set in the 1700's during the time leading up to the American Revolution. When Mercedes gets an urgent note to visit an asylum, she finds her twin dying. Kat reveals to Mercedes that her husband is a cruel monster and also a traitor to the crown. Later, when Mercedes receives a note that her sister has passed away, she decides to visit this husband to try to get revenge. But, was her sister telling the truth?

Once I got into this story, I couldn't put
Beth
Dec 24, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
I was skeptical at first, as this historical fiction takes a few liberties with the facts of life and women in the 1700s. But it wasn't long before the fun of the story overrode any historical errors. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this rolicking ride: espionage, mistaken identity, mysteries, sexual tension, and the very real flaws of human beings (like remembering loved ones as better folk than they are). It's a nice love story, combined with political intrigue and a few twists, and made ...more
Gabby (What's Beyond Forks?)
Dec 17, 2012 Gabby (What's Beyond Forks?) rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed

Full Review at: What's Beyond Forks?

This was a lovely love story, and it's told in a way that captures your attention from start to finish. It's fast paced, but you don't feel like it's rushed at all. You are given all the information you need when you need it. There's even a twist or two. This is the kind of romance I thoroughly enjoy reading. It was passionate yet sweet and innocent. Plus there was drama and suspense to keep you guessing.
Gayle
Jul 11, 2012 Gayle rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-in-2012
3.5 stars. I've had this book on my Kindle for a while and finally got to read it last night. It is a sweet romance set in the Revolutionary War era, although there aren't really a lot of specific historical details in the story. It had some surprises at the end and made for a light bedtime read. (One thing that kind of bugged me was that in the middle of the story it all of a sudden started referring to her traveling back to England instead of New York.)
Stacy
Sep 12, 2014 Stacy rated it liked it
I started reading this, fearing it would lead to inappropriate scenes. Each time the couple got close, I read through squinted eyes. But alas, Mary Higgins proved me wrong. With an Indie book, there were small errors that could easily be fixed with proper editing, but the story was fun and I enjoyed reading the clean romance.
Brandy Corona
Jan 19, 2013 Brandy Corona rated it really liked it
I love me a good romance novel for sure and with Take My Heart, I was given one! It was a great read that had suspense, a little action, lots of great romance, and beautifully developed characters! You can tell that Marie Higgins poured her heart and soul in this story!! It will stay with me for a long time. I wasn't bored with this tale and instead didn't want it to end as quick as it did!!
Kath
Feb 02, 2013 Kath rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This is a brilliantly written historical novel set in the colonies before they broke away from Britain. The characters were likeable and the plot beautifully woven together.
The quality of this novel makes it a great read :)
Valerie Waters
Feb 06, 2013 Valerie Waters rated it really liked it
Pretty cute book. I liked the twist.
Nicole Laverdure
Nov 08, 2014 Nicole Laverdure rated it really liked it
This book was free on Amazon, so I decided to read it. What a beautiful surprise, it was fun to read. Really enjoyed it!
Sharon Morris Marks
Sep 13, 2014 Sharon Morris Marks rated it really liked it
This was a good book. It is a nice clean romance, with a touch of suspense.
Allysia
Aug 08, 2013 Allysia rated it it was amazing
I am usually not inclined to read indie books but I have to say that I absolutely loved this book!!!! Yes I really LOVED this book.
Feb 08, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Cute clean romance that makes you smile. I also really liked the plot. I will defiantly be reading more books by Marie Higgins!
Mar 16, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
A fast paced story with several twists. It kept me guessing until the end.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 12:28PM
  • Lady Helen Finds Her Song
  • Dying to Run
  • The Angel's Assassin
  • Promise Me
  • The Second Son (Kings of Cardenas #2)
  • Passion's Tide
  • Lady in Waiting (The Lady Series #1)
  • Escucha Means Listen
  • The Marriage List
  • Chasing Clovers
  • Working it Out
  • The Duke's Undoing
  • A Secret Fire

Colonial Romance Series (3 books)
  • Falling In Love Again