Start by marking “The Flying Witches of Veracruz: A Shaman's True Story of Indigenous Witchcraft, Devil's Weed, and Trance Healing in Aztec Brujeria” as Want to Read:

Waking up in Mictlan, the underworld entrance of the North, nearly dead from an evil witch's attack--this is where James Endredy's gripping true account of his experience with the witches of Veracruz begins. As the apprentice of a powerful curandero, or healer, Endredy learns the dangerous magic and mystical arts of brujeria, a nearly extinct form of Aztec witchcraft, and ...more
Published December 8th 2011 by Llewellyn Publications (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Flying Witches of Veracruz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flying Witches of Veracruz

Danielle
May 13, 2017 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I had picked this book up for a $1, thinking 'why not'? It is a captivating read that I finished in a day and a half. Each tale reads like it could be a tv show... a bit strange and other wordly as the author recounts supposedly true stories in an engaging manner. Whether or not one wants to believe in the supernatural, the book might make you look at the world and people a little differently in the future. Casts an enticing spell....
Steve Cran
May 17, 2016 Steve Cran rated it it was amazing
Deep in the Taxulta Mountains there is witches festival that goes down attracting all the witches in Mexico and then some. Magic is a alive and well in Mexico. In the cities it is blended with Catholicism, Voodoo and Native American Magic. Up in the hills many tribes still hold on to their ancient ways unadulterated. For the practitioner of magic this sounds like, just be careful who you upset or you might get witched.

The book starts off with the author waking up in a cave almost blind and scare
Heidi The Hippie Reader
I picked this book up because of the title- witches, shaman, trance healings, who could resist that! I found The Flying Witches of Veracruz to be a fascinating but disorienting romp through a little known form of witchcraft/shamanism.

The rituals that James described were completely different from anything else that I've studied. His whirlwind education through introductions to the spirits, both good and evil, read like a modern urban fantasy. He mentions at the beginning of his book that most o
Alice
Nov 21, 2016 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Spiritual Practice of Mexico Explored

Fascinating look into the practices and problems of good witches in Veracruz. In this book , James finds himself under attack by a jealous witch which leads to his study of some of the darker uses of spiritual ways. From this he learns and develops the ability to aid others who are being manipulated by these unsavory practices. He is aided by a group of healing witches who train him using the dangerous plant datura. The darker themes are honestly pres
Henk
May 31, 2014 Henk rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read.
Exciting, informative and a well written story -even if this is not your thing.
It will introduce you to how real many people view sorcery and how ingrained it is in the lives/realities of many in more 'traditional' societies. Also perhaps a warning to those who take this too lightly, since messing with those who do may land you in some hectic trouble. Then, help will not come from conventional quarters.
Michael Blackthorn
Mar 01, 2012 Michael Blackthorn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-witches
This book was absolutely amazing. I couldn't put it down. I usually read a few books at a time and flip through each one but I tossed everything out for a day and read this through! It was really well written, inspiring and you could really feel the energy of the progression in the book. It really allowed me to challenge myself, my thought patterns and to expand my beliefs!
Niki
Jan 07, 2017 Niki rated it it was ok
Fun topic, and good story. Wasn't able to identify with the main character, I kept thinking of him a wanna be hippy shaman and this was the story he told himself happened on his trip. Maybe that's just me, but I did like the visuals of his experience.
Amber
Apr 30, 2012 Amber rated it liked it
Since coming to Mexico, I have encountered a huge amount of indigineous witchcraft here. This book I found in English has helped me to understand more about the beliefs of the people around me.
Very enlightening read to me as a foreigner, and also very entertaining!
Alicia Salinas
Jul 27, 2012 Alicia Salinas rated it really liked it
This is a true story that is truly amazing. I loved every minute of it. It disproved theories that all brujeria is evil or from the devil. Very entertaining.
Jenny Donahue
Jenny Donahue rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2012
Anell Villavicencio
Anell Villavicencio rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Ryan Wood
Ryan Wood rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Ally Sidell
Ally Sidell rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Ana Mirkovic
Ana Mirkovic rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
Adriana
Adriana rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Eldrid Lokson
Eldrid Lokson rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Mary Reed
Mary Reed rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2014
jimmy
jimmy rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Steven Jones
Steven Jones rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2012
Ellie Reynoso
Ellie Reynoso rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Ellen Jackson
Ellen Jackson rated it really liked it
May 21, 2017
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Daniel Lawson
Daniel Lawson rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Jade
Jade rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2012
Adam Finnegan
Adam Finnegan rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Charles Turlington
Charles Turlington rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014