Inside Freight Train

Inside Freight Train

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Here comes the freight train! In this new sturdy sliding board book, Caldecott Award winner Donald Crew takes children right on board as they slide open the doors to see what's inside each train car.
Board Book, 12 pages
Published January 9th 2001 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Freight Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Freight Train

The Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgFreight Train by Donald CrewsTrains by Byron BartonThe Little Red Caboose by Marian Potter
Picture Books about Trains
12th out of 103 books — 39 voters
Freight Train by Donald CrewsInside Freight Train by Donald CrewsSchool Bus by Donald CrewsTruck by Donald CrewsBicycle Race by Donald Crews
Best of Donald Crews
2nd out of 23 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Heide
This is a neat book, in that it has a actual names of freight cars and what they carry. Not only is this great for the train loving toddler, with train loving grandparents to share it with, it's also great for parents who aren't as familiar and will be talking about trains with a train loving kid. The slide flaps are pretty neat and seem pretty durable.

An update:
Sadly while she was reading by herself, she popped the pages apart. We haven't tried getting them back together. Looks doable.
Nichole Petteruti
This book is one that many young kids would enjoy- especially young boys, seeing as they tend to love trains. The sliding pages make it much more fun to read to see what's inside of each of the carts. It's a simple way of showing kids what trains carry to understand more of how things work. Books such as this which are pop up, or sliding, or anything else make it that much more exciting for the child to read and catch their interest.
Joshua's Mom
Great fun. You get to slide open each page to see what is inside the freight car. Unfortunately, after much use our book has kind of fallen to bits. It was great fun while it lasted. And it did last through many readings--likely hundreds. If you have a young child you might want to watch them with this book so they don't get wild with it and pull it to pieces.
Heather
This book is similar to Freight train but here you get to slide the doors open and see what's inside. We owned this book for a few months and by then it was pulled to pieces. I guess that means they liked it a lot!

Like Freight Train the colors are bright and the illustrations simple.

Very much worth checking out.
Kerry
If you own Freight Train, this is a good adjunct to it. It has doors that slide open so that you can see inside the trains. It's very sturdy.

I don't consider this book "essential" but if you have Freight Train by Donald Crews and like manipulative books, this is a good option.
Katherine McCall
I read this book with my son when he was 3 and he was fascinated by the sliding pages. He tried to slide every page and was frustrated when he discovered they all didn't slide. Overall though, he really liked the book and it has become one of his favorites to read by himself.
Anna
Wonderful book about freight trains and what they carry. the sliding pages would be a huge hit with kindergarteners and preschoolers. Includes colors with each descriptive page.
Candice Call
Good book to use if studying types of transportation. The book simply describes the differnt types of carts on a train and what they can be sued for.
Carolyn
Sep 07, 2011 Carolyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 1-3 yr olds
My boys have both loved expanding and contracting the pages to show what's in the train cars.
Read and played with this one so much we wore out all the cars. Definitely a favorite!
Erika
Kiddo loves it
Kelly Rae
Storytime - Trains!
Sandra
Sandra added it
Jul 27, 2014
Saraswathi Mukkai
Saraswathi Mukkai marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014