Start by marking “School Bus” as Want to Read:
School Bus

School Bus

What is large (or small), bright yellow, and filled with students? School Bus!

Climb aboard and let Donald Crews take you to school -- and home again.
Published August 26th 1993 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about School Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School Bus

The Kissing Hand by Audrey PennMiss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph SlateDavid Goes To School by David ShannonPete the Cat by Eric LitwinCurious George's First Day of School by Margret Rey
Picture Books About Kindergarten
11th out of 106 books — 17 voters
Freight Train by Donald CrewsInside Freight Train by Donald CrewsRain by Robert KalanSchool Bus by Donald CrewsTruck by Donald Crews
Best of Donald Crews
4th out of 30 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily Holter
Mar 25, 2014 Emily Holter rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book on school buses would be perfect for the kindergarten classrooms. The text doesn't say much, so it would age appropriate for that age group. It’s important for a classroom that is having a transportation curriculum to have this book included in with it, as for it shows children the daily process of riding on the school bus.

As the school bus in the book travels down the street, you will see a multitude of other types of vehicles, such as; taxi’s, cars, trucks, and buses. When the school
Zaire Clinton
Mar 07, 2013 Zaire Clinton rated it it was amazing
My 2-yr old is into school buses and the color yellow. This book is perfect for the stage he is in. He loved counting the buses and seeing the different sizes.
The Book Box
Jul 30, 2016 The Book Box added it
Shelves: own
Daddy read this to me last night. I love school buses so I liked the book, but my favorite part was pointing out the lone garbage truck!
Cynthia
Sep 19, 2010 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jack-s-books
What is not to love if you are interested in school buses!
Asho
My two-year-old could not possibly have been more thrilled with this book. He has chosen it for his bedtime story every night since we checked it out from the library and literally shrieks with glee as we turn the pages together.
"BUS!"
"ONE MORE BUS!"
"DOORS OPEN! DOORS OPEN!"
"WAIT FOR BUS!"
"PEOPLE GET ON!"
"BUS HOME!"

I do read the text, but I don't think he really cares. He is much more interested in describing the pictures to me and "counting" the buses.
I really like the illustrations and very
Jane
Apr 30, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing
In my preschool classroom, I use School Bus to teach my new preschool children about bus safety. It is a book of few words but the pictures show school buses that look just like the ones our children ride to and from school each day. Our preschool classroom is located in a public elementary school and our children ride the School Bus to and from school with the older children. They are given the front seats of the bus that are fitted with seat belts (not part of the story). We read the story and ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 11, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-00-04
Small children are fascinated by large vehicles, and this important institution of American society, the yellow school bus, is no exception, especially because small children associate the bus with interesting older children and teenagers. This well-conceived, well-illustrated preschool book traces school buses through one day: beginning parked side by side in the lot, crossing the town, picking up students, bringing them to school and back, then returning to the parking lot.

The minimal text per
Rob
Nov 23, 2013 Rob rated it liked it
Shelves: with-holden
So The Boy is currently obsessed with buses. All things larger than a Ford F-150 are buses—dump trucks, excavators, Greyhounds, oil tankers—you name it. This might be because those are two of the words that he can say ("bus" and "yellow") that are recognizable by people other than his Mama and Papa.

Anyway, I made the mistake of showing him this book while at Borders. So now we own it.

All told, it's pretty straightforward and linear. Buses pick up kids, take them to school, and then home again.

Wh
Efundunke
Sep 01, 2011 Efundunke rated it liked it
Good book. Built background knowledge by asking students if they ever rode on a yellow school bus before, which sparked a discussion of shared experiences riding the school bus for field trips. Used it for predicting, although the title would seem like a dead giveaway. Then made a chart to find out how students get to school. We discussed which means of transportation students used the most to travel to school and which means students used the least. Worked out pretty well.
Millie Simonds
Dec 01, 2015 Millie Simonds rated it it was ok
Shelves: beginning-books
This is a very easy beginners book with very few words on each page. It would be a good book for Pre-K or Kindergarten because they need to learn how the process of riding the school bus works. The setting of the book is through town on the school bus and at the school. I feel that this would be a great book for a child learning to read.
Jasmine Bowman
Dec 02, 2015 Jasmine Bowman rated it liked it
Shelves: beginning-books
Barbara
Sep 11, 2008 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I love Donald Crews' books and this is one of the better ones. We read it in my preschool special education classroom each year and the simple language, paired with all those pictures of buses, is always a hit. I particularly like the little details, like the father who is putting his child on the bus and waiting to hug her when she comes home.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Lap Time on 1/20/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 7/31/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Time (at another branch) on 8/22/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Michael
Apr 21, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
Wow, this is one of the simplest children's books I've ever read. Big bus, small bus, go to school, come home from school. That's basically it for twenty pages.

If your child loves school buses, they will love this book. There are school buses on every page. 32 on the first page!
Rachel
Mar 22, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-readers
Basic story with very colorful pictures about school buses taking kids to school. It very simply allows kids to see where school buses come from and the journey they take throughout the day. I think this would be great to read to those first time school bus riders.
Amanda
Oct 22, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-2-yr
For a toddler who gets excited about all large trucks, this seemed a natural fit and it did seem to suit her. I like that the words are sparse, although I wish the illustrations were a little less flat.
Kim
Mar 01, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok
You know how there are those books that are classics but when you finally read them, they're not very good. They retained their popularity because they were the first to fill a niche (school bus niche in this case). Might be good for a beginning reader but what a snooze for a read aloud.
Liesel
Aug 05, 2016 Liesel rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
Age range: 1-4
Literacy skill: Vocabulary, print awareness

Simple, bold text and simple, bold illustrations. This book will help the very young develop vocabulary and has strong, recognizable text for ages three to four.
Beloved Girl
Jan 31, 2016 Beloved Girl rated it liked it
Shelves: j1-j3
It was a little bit dizzy to see many yellow buses. But I still like Donald Crew style. It has own special character.
Ashley
Sep 08, 2015 Ashley rated it it was ok
I read this as a Mother Goose book for a class towards my MLS. It’s a pretty basic book that shows children about buses and other modes of transportation.
Meredith
Aug 22, 2016 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Like most Donald Crews books, this is great for the very young kids. Not much story, nice pictures. The youngest child in our storytime today was very excited to see the school buses on every page.
Adam Anderson
Dec 16, 2015 Adam Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compelling reflection on one of the most underrated unifying objects of childhood - the school bus. Appreciate Crew's exploration of diversity within sameness.
Ashley Wampler
School Bus introduces some opposites such as large and small. It has two to five words on each page and is great for beginning readers. The illustrations are very realistic.
Ubalstecha
Simple text describing the day of a school bus. But the machines are not anthropomorphized. Could easily be made into a board book. My son. who is obsessed with busses, loved this book.
Jamie
Oct 24, 2012 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
Great simple book for first learners. About school buses and going to school. Simple words that associate well with the pictures and a bus's routine.
Lori
Feb 08, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Have read this a hundred times to my 18 month old grandson. He loves it and is beyond thrilled when we get to the page with the garbage truck.
Mke04
Mke04 rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2014
Alison
Sep 16, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it
Use repetition. Sentences are short, so have kids repeat after you.
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
May 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • My Car
  • Ten Red Apples
  • Night Light
  • Is It Red? Is It Yellow? Is It Blue?
  • I Love Trucks!
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • The Cow Who Clucked
  • Trains: Steaming! Pulling! Huffing!
  • In the Rain with Baby Duck