Start by marking “Joy Takes Flight (Alaskan Skies, #3)” as Want to Read:
Joy Takes Flight (Alaskan Skies, #3)

Joy Takes Flight (Alaskan Skies #3)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Kate Evans and Paul Anderson are finally married, settling in, and starting a family. They rejoice when Kate finds she is pregnant, but soon it is clear that there are hurdles ahead. Should she continue in her dangerous profession as an Alaskan bush pilot? Can she really fall into the role of a wife? Then tragedy strikes, life begins to unravel, and Kate fears she may have ...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Joy Takes Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joy Takes Flight

Ann
Jul 09, 2012 Ann rated it it was amazing
Kate believes she’s living her dream when she and Dr. Paul Anderson marry. After all of the hurdles their relationship faced, now life promises smooth sailing.
But some promises can be misleading. Kate visualizes her life as an Alaskan bush pilot continuing without a hitch. Unfortunately, Paul has other ideas, especially after they learn they are expecting a child. Demons from his past haunt him, and Kate is unable to break through the barriers he’s erected around himself. She wants one thing,
Dec 24, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Title: JOY TAKES FLIGHT
Author: Bonnie Leon
Publisher: Revell
July 2012
ISBN: 978-0-8007-3361-2
Genre: historical

Kate Evans is finally marrying Paul Anderson. And even though the wedding is everything she dreamed of, and more, reality starts to intrude on the holidays. Kate wants to remain independent, to do what she did before marriage, live where she lived, and fly. She doesn’t want to be a submissive little wife with no life other than Mrs. Paul Anderson. And she begins to get irritated when peopl
Ada Brownell
Aug 01, 2012 Ada Brownell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: intriguing-book
Joy Takes Flight by Bonnie Leon
Here’s another good book in the Alaska Skies series by Bonnie Leon. Bonnie brings reality to the airplane cockpit flying in and out of the primitive frozen Alaska runways .
You hear the crunch and feel every bump as the wheels touch down or prepare for takeoff.
The author brings readers to the skies and into the frigid valleys of Alaska but Bonnie Leon doesn’t live in there, and she’s not a pilot.
How does an author write effectively from a location where she does
Jo
Aug 23, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing
Kate, a bush pilot in Alaska, has forged her position in an area where men pilots dominate. Before Kate and Paul, a medical doctor, marry he promises her she can continue her role as pilot. When a doctor is needed in any part of Alaska, she flies and he is the doctor she takes to where ever the need awaits. When tragedy hits the newlyweds, Paul blames himself. His brother calls him that their mother is near death and Paul returns to his former home in San Francisco. Kate, impatient that Paul has ...more
Lyn
Jul 22, 2012 Lyn rated it liked it
I enjoyed Joy Takes Flight by Bonnie Leon. It's rare to read a book about a married couple, but I found the story intriguing. I really gave it 3.5 stars but didn't know how to show the 1/2! I am a tough reviewer and this was a heartwarming story about characters I cared about. But I thought the tension sometimes eased too much.

But all in all I like it and I think the author is a NEAT woman!

I interviewed her on my blog and she told an amazing story about her Aleut grandmother. If you're interest
ChrisGA
Jul 27, 2012 ChrisGA rated it it was amazing
The poignant story of a female bush pilot in Alaska in the late 1930s as she tries to adjust to marriage to a bush doctor while continuing to fly. They face together the usual newlywed conflicts, then heartbreaking grief. Inherent in their work and even daily living in the Alaskan wilderness is danger on many sides. Action packed plot with likeable characters. This is the third in the Alaskan Skies series, and while it was fine as a stand-alone, I regretted not knowing more of the backstory on t ...more
Sarah Sundin
Aug 01, 2012 Sarah Sundin rated it it was amazing
Joy Takes Flight is a gripping story filled with adventure and excitement, but it also shows wonderful character development for both Kate and Paul as married life forces them to stretch. Those who have enjoyed the first two books in this series (and they DO have to be read in order) will love watching the sub-plots come to satisfying - although never easy - conclusions. I highly recommend this series.
Maritza
Dec 02, 2012 Maritza rated it it was amazing
I loved Paul and Kate's story so much I was really sad that this book is the conclusion.....I feel disappointed because some questions were left unanswered....do they ever have a baby? Do they sell the house in San Francisco? Does Kate ever meet his family? I need another book Bonnie! please?!
Jan Springer
Sep 03, 2012 Jan Springer rated it it was amazing
I loved Joy Takes Flight. A very emotional read and some tragedy that brought me to tears. More bush pilot adventures with Kate in Alaska...I wish there were more to come...hint. LOL
Great read. Highly recommend for readers who love adventure, romance, Alaska and bush pilots!!

Jan
Becca
Jul 25, 2012 Becca rated it it was ok
I had been impatiently waiting for this conclusion to the trilogy, but was unfortunately disappointed. It was not as good as the first two. It was kind of slow and predictable. There were a couple shocking moments in the plot, but not enough to sustain my interest.
Linda
Jul 21, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I really enjoyed how Bonnie explored the deeper issues in her characters. Each of her leads had to work through their own issues, but came around to supporting the other. I very much enjoyed the piloting exploits in all three books. Thank you, Bonnie.
Bill Tillman
This is the third book in Bonnie's series, but works well as a stand alone too. There is always danger and adventure where Kate is! She has a skiing accident, fights a killer while flying her plane among the tastier bits in this tale. Fantastic read.
Stacie Wood
This was a great series. I really enjoyed getting to know Kate and Paul.
Joanie Standridge
Apr 21, 2014 Joanie Standridge rated it it was amazing
Super awesome ending to a great trilogy! Wow! This book was a great read. The whole story itself was a lot like a thrilling plane ride with ups and downs, sudden banking turns, heart thumping unexpected drops and tears of course. Wow. Only one thing that I had a thought about: in real life, when people share their thoughts and feelings with one another, there's generally not so much of an accepting kind of atmosphere between people. Or, most people are really aloof and not so engaged with sharin ...more
Carol Macdonald
Nov 04, 2012 Carol Macdonald rated it did not like it
A friend got it from tne library and handed it to me because it was about Alaska, so I had to read it fast to return it on time. Too much contrived drama. In the first place people don't take joy rides in dories down the Susitna River and across to Anchorage because the tides are so fickle, then to fall out of the boat trying to start it? I think not. You are hanging on the starter cord for crying out loud! Then she falls out of the dog sled when it turns over and loses her baby because of it. H ...more
Marilyn
Mar 26, 2013 Marilyn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
As the book opens, Kate Evans, a bush pilot in 1938 Alaska, is about to marry Paul Anderson, frontier doctor.
The newlyweds discover several issues they must deal with. Paul has a past he’s reluctant to talk about (responsibility for his first wife’s death),
and Kate struggles with Paul’s and society’s expectations of a female pilot.
Her boss is extra tough on her, and she chafes at Paul’s wanting her to take fewer risks, especially after a convict attacks his guard during one of her flights.
Th
Kym McNabney
Jul 20, 2012 Kym McNabney rated it liked it
Kate Evans, an Alaskan bush pilot, is living her dream, marrying the man she loves, Dr. Paul Anderson. They’ve been through a lot and survived, so it should be easy going from now on…or so she thinks.

Kate and Paul are thrilled to discover Kate is pregnant. Demons from Paul’s past surfer, disrupting their lives. Kate wants one thing and Paul another. It doesn’t take long for their lives to start to unravel, Kate fears she’ll lose the man she loves.

JOY TAKE FLIGHT by BONNIE LEON is filled with g
Phyllis J White
Dec 29, 2014 Phyllis J White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story

These 3books are the best story about women and flying that I have ever read. These are much better than stories of Amelia Earhart could have ever been .
Mary
Jan 25, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Glad to have finished this series, I enjoyed the characters, setting, and different story lines. Thanks!
Jenny
Nov 22, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
Joy Takes Flight is the last book of the series. This last book picks up another few months down the road from the second book. The year is 1938 and Kate is entering into uncharted waters trying to maintain her freedom of flying the open skies while balancing marriage and other aspects of wedded bliss. How will her choices affect her and those she loves? Adventures awaits around every corner in this last book of the series. I was a bit disappointed at the open ending. I guess I expected a bit mo ...more
Thomas R. Winscher
Excellent book

This was as good as the first two books in this series. Well worth the read. I only wish there were more continuing stories in this series.
Sharon
Jun 04, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
While this was a fun series to read, it seemed a little repetitive in the characters thought processes and concerns. It was a charming and predictable story while being true to the scope, depth, and sometimes heart-stopping experiences of an Alaskan bush pilot and bush doctor. All of the characters were believable and faced many of the same self-doubts, set-backs and heartaches that are a part of living for everyone.
Margaret
Mar 13, 2013 Margaret marked it as hardcopy-review-to-read
Andrea
Jul 05, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
i think it seemed like the author was a hurry to end this one. i was surprised when it ended (reading kindle version), it definitely had some loose ends...wondering if there will be a 4th in the series.
Omi
Dec 15, 2012 Omi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Good! Kinda bumming when you get to the end and realize this is the third book in the series though...Don't know if I can go back and enjoy the other books when I know the ultimate ending. :D
Cindy
Jan 03, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this simple read about a young women's adventures in Alaska's rugged outdoors. Written by someone that has been there and knows what it's like. Plus I liked her independence.
Adeline Crozier
Apr 18, 2014 Adeline Crozier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating!

really drawn to the story!! read all 3 books and i wish there was no ending :D
I love it!
Annette
Sep 27, 2012 Annette rated it it was ok
Kind of a sappy story trying to define the roles of husbands and wives. Long story...short message.
Sarah K
Jan 19, 2015 Sarah K rated it really liked it
a cute story. i know this is a trilogy but i'd love to read more about kate and paul!
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 20, 2015 11:43AM
Still working on galleys. 1 2 Dec 18, 2011 01:08AM
  • A Ranger's Trail (Texas Trails, #4)
  • Behold the Dawn
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #1)
  • The Eyes of the World
  • Wreath
  • A Hidden Truth (Home to Amana, #1)
  • Covenant of War (Lion of War, #2)
  • Hello, Hollywood! (Backstage Pass, #2)
  • Seeker of Stars
  • Megan's Hero (The Callahans of Texas, #3)
  • Gathering Shadows (Finding Sanctuary #1)
  • Cottage by the Sea (Hideaway #3)
  • Elias and The Legend of Sirok
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Duchess (Daughters of Fortune, #3)
  • When Camels Fly
  • On Distant Shores (Wings of the Nightingale, #2)
Bonnie Leon is the author of twenty-one novels, including the recently released To Dance With Dolphins, the popular Alaskan Skies and bestselling The Journey of Eleven Moons.
Bonnie’s books are being read internationally and she hears from readers in Australia, Europe, and even Africa.
She enjoys speaking for women’s groups and teaching at writing seminars and conventions. These days, her time is f
More about Bonnie Leon...

Alaskan Skies (3 books)
  • Touching the Clouds (Alaskan Skies, #1)
  • Wings of Promise (Alaskan Skies, #2)