Start by marking “Almost Amish” as Want to Read:
Almost Amish

Almost Amish (Tomorrow's Promise Collection #5)

Julie Charlton is at the breaking point. She's overwhelmed and burned out, and in today's unrelenting society, her kids are, too. When her sister-in-law Susan, a Martha Stewart-in-training, lands the chance to participate in a reality TV series promoting simple living, and needs another family to join her, it seems like the perfect opportunity.
The location is an idyllic f
Published July 1st 2012 by Bethany House (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Amish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Amish

Tammi
Jul 07, 2012 Tammi rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of Amish Fiction ever since I read the Annie’s People series by Beverly Lewis. So when I first saw this book as a pre-order in a fiction book catalog I put it on my wish list. Recently Bethany House sent out their monthly e-mail of available books to review, and Almost Amish by Kathryn Cushman was one of the ones that were offered, I chose it and waited for it to arrive in my mailbox. It was worth the wait, because I was hooked from the first page to the last.

Julie Charlton is
Sep 26, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
At first I wasn't sure what I'd think about ALMOST AMISH. Reality TV shows, English living as Amish (dressed in pioneer closets?) and women's fiction.... Not a genre I'm a huge fan of, though I do read some. But this book - ALMOST AMISH grabbed me from the first page. I totally got Julie. Not perfect. Real. Gifted with organizing, but not cleaning. Gifted with seeing people, but not baking for school functions. And running ragged with all her and her children's and her husband's activities... C ...more
Maureen Timerman
Aug 10, 2012 Maureen Timerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I loved reading this book...we live in such a fast pace rat race. We seem to forget what is important, and this book helps bring things into reality.
We begin with Julie Charlton who doesn't seem to know the name "NO". She is always running from one thing to another, and sometimes has to be two places at once. When her husband Thomas's sister begs her to help her...of course Julie does what she always does "Yes"!
Susan Reynolds is in a fight to support herself and her daughter Angie, and the prod
Jessica
Aug 09, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
This book had an interesting premise but the writing just didn't grab me. The characters seemed rather extreme and many things that happened seemed unrealistic. For example, the character of Susan is always grumpy, a super perfectionist, and completely blind to what is happening in her life. Yet somehow, Gary is attracted to her? There are also inconsistencies with the supposed filming. At certain times they are so worried about what the cameras will film and other times it seems that no one is ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith

If you've ever read anything about the Amish lifestyles, you know that they live a much simpler life, no electricity, no technology, no cars and just a whole lot less stress. So when the Lisa Lee show gets an idea for a new reality show called Almost Amish, a modern family from California is going to get a lot more lessons in life than simply learning how to be Amish.

Susan Reynolds is a Martha Steward in training. She's a bit of what most would call overly assertive, a bit of a perfectionist, an
Kate Johnston
Sep 21, 2012 Kate Johnston rated it really liked it
Almost Amish, by Kathryn Cushman, is a story about two families who are offered a chance to give up life as they know it to live “almost Amish” for a reality TV show.
Dual protagonists, Julie and Susan, are also sisters-in-law. Their reasons for participating in the show clash, creating conflict between them as well as within themselves.
Julie, an overscheduled mother of two, feels unfulfilled in her life. She is desperate to live simply, to slow down, spend more time with her family, all the whil
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Jul 29, 2012 Ibjoy1953 Hannabass rated it it was amazing
This is a very different book about the Amish, since it is Almost Amish. Susan is perfect. Well almost. Everything she does has to be perfect. She even makes sure her seventeen year old daughter is perfect in everything she does. That is the way life is suppose to be, right? And Julie is the opposite. She is struggling with just what her position in life should be. She can’t find a thing she is really good at.

Then the opportunity comes to be on the reality show, Almost Amish. This is Susan’s one
Casey
Jun 04, 2012 Casey rated it really liked it
The minute I read the back cover copy of this novel I loved it. A modern family enters a reality television show to become “almost Amish.”. Love that premise and the novel pretty much followed what I expected, in both story and quality.

I loved Julie’s heart. She is a woman every house wife in America can relate to. I immediately sympathized with her situation and hopeless driftlessness in it all. The only thing I wish was that the dynamic between her and her husband had been brought into the st
Caitlyn Santi
Jul 20, 2012 Caitlyn Santi rated it it was amazing
This book left me speechless! I could not come up with any words to describe how much I loved it, I will try to now but I can't make any promises! I truly felt when the characters were on the farm that I was reading a chronicle of my own life! I loved Angie, she is so much like me it's scary! I grew up watching and loving the PBS show Frontier House and this book is very similar to that show. I knew when I read the summary of this book that I would love it and I am pleased to report that I loved ...more
Pat
Jun 29, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
Excellent!! Julie and Susan are sister in laws and as different as can be. Susan wants to gain fame that she hopes to cash in on by being on a reality TV show--Almost Amish. Julie is just looking for a simpler and slower lifestyle. They both learn alot about themselves and what their God given talents are.
Susan
Mar 30, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Not only were the main characters wonderful, but the secondary characters were delightful as well. Great book for all of us wanting a simpler, more fulfilling life. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Rachel Brand
GENRE: CONTEMPORARY/WOMEN’S FICTION
PUBLISHER: BETHANY HOUSE
PUBLICATION DATE: JULY 01, 2012
RATING: 4 OUT OF 5 – VERY GOOD

PROS: All women will be able to relate to Julie in some way; great message about the gifts God has given us; dispels some myths about Amish simplicity

CONS: Hard to sympathise with Susan; Susan’s change of character didn’t seem entirely realistic

There are some days when Julie Charlton would love to just leave her hectic life behind and start over in a much less stressful world.
Renn Shearin
Sep 30, 2012 Renn Shearin rated it really liked it
Cushman crafts strong characters that are easy to connect with."--Romantic Times

The location is an idyllic farm outside an Amish community in Tennessee. J
Rebecca LuElla
Aug 12, 2012 Rebecca LuElla rated it it was amazing
Kathryn Cushman, author of A Promise to Remember, Waiting for Daybreak, Leaving Yesterday, and Another Dawn, has quickly become one of my favorite writers. In fact, a friend of mine who read all her books in our church library said, Why, she’s every bit as good as Karen Kingsbury. I smiled at that because it’s a great compliment, comparing her to a best-selling author, but also because I happen to think Cushman is actually better.

It was with some trepidation, then, that I started in on her lates
Wendy
Jul 30, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Susan Reynolds, divorced and mother of 17 year old Angie wants to sign on to do a three month 'experiment' living the 'simple life'. She asks her sister-in-law Julie Charlton to leave her husband in California and take 16 year old Whitney and 13 year old Brian to the midwest with her. The sisters-in-law get along well but were raised in two completely different worlds, doing this for Susan will mean five people living in one farm house without modern conveniences.

Julie is tired of her life, she
Cheri Swalwell
Jul 25, 2012 Cheri Swalwell rated it it was amazing
I read a terrific book over the weekend, Almost Amish, by Kathryn Cushman. This book was delightfully unique in that it has appeal both for people who like contemporary women’s fiction as well as traditional Amish fiction. The main story involves two modern families; however, they are placed in an “almost Amish” setting through the filming of a reality TV show. I could totally see myself living in the situation they found themselves in and loving it. Kathryn paints such vivid pictures that I cou ...more
Desiree reilly
Aug 20, 2012 Desiree reilly rated it it was amazing
This story is a great read and you will in joy it til the end.The main peopele who are in the story are realted to each other,Susan and Julia,Whitney,Brian,Angie they are thrown toghter in a house out in the country of Tenn The story strt off like this Susan is good cook has someone come in and help clean and then she has the kid who do sports and busy all the time does the family relax not really.

Then you got Julie who has divorced her hubby and they have tennagae girl.So Susan come up with ide
Bethany
Jul 19, 2012 Bethany rated it really liked it
I was very excited to be able to read this book as I'd been wanting to for a while. Although it's the first book I've read by Kathryn Cushman, it probably won't be the last! When I got this book in the mail from Bethany House to review, I could tell by the first chapter that I'd love it...and I did! I loved how inspirational it was and how it makes you think, while at the same time providing an entertaining read with a mix of both contemporary and Amish fiction.

Pros :: This book was very inspira
Nora St Laurent
Aug 22, 2012 Nora St Laurent rated it liked it
Julie Charlton agrees to help her sister-in-law with a new idea for a T.V. reality show called "Almost Amish". The deal is they have to live like the Amish for 3 months with a few modifications to the pure Amish life style.

Julie agrees to do this for two reasons, one she can't say no to her sister-in-law and two she has come to hate her life! Something needed to change - she needed a new perspective, maybe this three month get away would do the trick. Little did Julie and Susan realize how much
Andrea
Aug 19, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Susan is a Martha Stewart in-training. She is classic Type A personality and a helicopter parent. Her husband recently left her and she is trying to figure out her life. She is given a chance to be on a reality TV series in which a family tries to live like the Amish. This would bode well for her career, so she agrees to do it.

She needs another family, so she asks her brother's wife Julie to join her with their two kids. Julie is a stay-at-home mom who is completely dissatisfied with her life.
K
Jul 27, 2012 K rated it really liked it
This book was just what I needed to remind myself to slow down and focus on the good things in each day!

Almost Amish by Kathryn Cushman is a great read that reinforces the beauty of slowing down in order to really appreciate what is most important in life. Julie, a stay-at-home mom who is harried by the daily demands of raising her children, maintaining her household, cooking healthy dinners, and all that life brings. When her sister-in-law, Susan, a domestic goddess, gets the opportunity to par
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Have you heard the old saying, "I meet myself coming and going"? Well this is the life of Julie Charlton dedicated and exhausted wife and mother. She realizes her family needs to slow down but just can't seem to figure out how.

Until...! Her sister-in-law Susan is offered a Reality T.V. series called Almost Amish and she wants Julie and her two kids to be part of the reality show with her and her daughter. This seems like the answer to all Julie's problems and for opportunity for her family to sl
Pamela Hale
Sep 23, 2016 Pamela Hale rated it it was ok
So stupid. Really retro fifties- these women base their self-worth on how good their cupcakes come out for the PTA and how clean their house is.
Kaylea
Aug 07, 2012 Kaylea rated it liked it
Sometimes life is like a fast moving merry go round (or at least tea cup ride).

It seems like it is spinning out of control as we rush from one activity to another.

For some women - especially Julie, a busy wife and mom of two teenagers - life can seem overwhelming.

Enter a proposition by Julie's sister-in-law, Susan. She wants to appear on a reality show that follows an "ordinary" modern family as they leave behind modern conveniences and instead, become 'almost Amish.'

The only catch, Susan and h
Carrie Padgett
Aug 03, 2012 Carrie Padgett rated it it was amazing
Kathryn Cushman's books are always about two sides of an issue. She writes characters who are passionate about their positions and she writes each so well that it’s impossible not to see their side. Whether it’s vaccinations, doing the right thing in a difficult situation, or making little compromises, the characters are real people grappling with real decisions that have real consequences.

Almost Amish is her best book so far.

Susan is a Type A perfectionistic Martha Stewart wannabe. Her sister-i
Wanda
Aug 25, 2012 Wanda rated it it was amazing
What happens when you take two women—one a perfectionist, workaholic mother and career woman; and the other an overwhelmed, burned-out wife and mother—and place them and their teenaged children in an “almost Amish” setting for the summer? Both women accept this reality TV challenge for different reasons. Susan hopes it will be the start of a television career for her with her very own cooking show, and she convinces her friend and sister-in-law Julie to come along and help her out. Julie hopes t ...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
Sep 04, 2012 Christian Fiction Addiction rated it really liked it
Every so often I come across a book that has such a unique concept underlying the plot that I simply can't wait to read it. Almost Amish is such a book, as I absolutely love the idea of a reality TV series about living like the Amish, a plot I found myself imagining myself living within numerous times throughout the story. I found myself thinking about how I would respond if I had to suddenly learn to cook on a wood stove or wash clothes without electricity. Would I retain a spirit of gratitude ...more
Judy
Aug 12, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing
Almost Amish - Plain Living!

I must be honest and say I wasn’t sure I was going to like this book when I first started it. I’m not a fan of reality shows on T.V. and wondered what the author was thinking when she was writing this book.

I was wrong. This book has a lot to offer.

Julie Charlton, her daughter Whitney, son Brian, agree to do a reality show about plain living with Susan Reynolds, Julie’s sister-in-law and Susan’s daughter Angie. Julie is doing this to help advance Susan’s T.V. career.
Cindy Ervin  Huff
Sep 24, 2014 Cindy Ervin Huff rated it it was amazing

Last week I found this book near the bottom of my Kindle book list. I’d almost forgotten I’d downloaded it. That said I couldn’t remember why I’d chosen it. The title could be misleading. This is not another Amish book. Not in the purist sense. There are no Amish characters. But rather a delightful twist on the theme of being who God wants you to be.
Julie agrees to help her sister-in-law move her career along by becoming part of a reality show. Together with their children they experience the tr
Mom
Sep 16, 2016 Mom rated it liked it
3 - interesting to see what it would really be like to go Amish. Good projects thrown the families way during their time at the house. Good message about finding your inner gifts.
  • Kate's Song (Forever After in Apple Lake, #1)
  • Her Restless Heart (Stitches In Time Series #1)
  • When Hope Blossoms
  • An Amish Family Reunion (Miller Family, #4)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Christmas Singing (Apple Ridge #2)
  • Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice #1)
  • A Promise for Miriam (The Pebble Creek Amish, #1)
  • An Amish Wedding
  • Patchwork Dreams (Amish of Seymour County, #1)
  • Annie's Truth (Touch of Grace, #1)
  • The Bridesmaid (Home to Hickory Hollow, #2)
  • The Amish Nanny (The Women of Lancaster County, #2)
  • The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)
  • Saving Gideon (Clover Ridge #1)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)
  • The Captive Heart (Daughters of Caleb Bender, #2)
Author Kathryn "Katie" Cushman is a graduate of Samford University with a degree in pharmacy.

She is the author of five novels, including Leaving Yesterday and A Promise to Remember, which were both finalists for the Carol Award in Women's Fiction.

She is also the co-author of Angel Song with Sheila Walsh.

Kathryn and her family currently live in Santa Barbara, California.

Visit her Web site at ww
More about Kathryn Cushman...

Tomorrow's Promise Collection (6 books)
  • A Promise to Remember