Start by marking “The Hero (Posleen War, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Hero (Posleen War, #5)

The Hero (Posleen War #5)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  1,429 ratings  ·  23 reviews

Audiobook, Unabridged
Published March 24th 2009 (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hero

Charles
Jim
Product Description

It's a matter of trust. For thousands of years the Darhel, a warrior species conditioned to be incapable of killing, manipulated and controlled the human race. Then the humans threw off their yoke. Now, for the first time, a Darhel has been assigned to the elite Deep Reconnaissance Team commandos. Trust, in a small unit, is vital. And there was no trust to be had on either side. But when the mission encountered an alien device worth more than a king's ransom, it was the huma

Kamas Kirian
Overall, I liked it. Where the previous novels in the series were solid 4 to 4.5, this was more like a 3.5 to a weak 4. While the first part of the story introducing all of the characters was OK, it seemed a little slow going. Things picked up once the team got inserted on the planet, but it didn't really get good until the betrayal and stalk. I feel like I've read the stalking sequence, at least in part, before. But, I'm not sure where, perhaps John Ringo or Michael Z. Williamson put out a shor ...more
William Bentrim
The Hero (Posleen War Series #5) by John Ringo and Michael Z. Williamson

We met the Darhel earlier in this series. An alien race that played a huge part in the Posleen War. This story places Tirdal, a Darhel, in a deep reconnaissance team with humans. They are sent on a mission to determine if the new foe has established a beachhead on their target world. The interplay between the humans and their alien teammate provides the tension for the story.

This is not the typical action dominated Ringo st
Kevin Grierson
If you have read other books in the Posleen war series, you know pretty much what you'll get--lots of gore, beautiful women, and incompetent leftist politicians, along with well-written military encounters with the ravening hordes of centaur-like Posleen. This book delivers more of the same. Unfortunately, Ringo has reached the point that his politics are interfering with his storytelling--even for me, and my politics regarding the military are probably right of center.

Ringo seems to assume that
Sayomara Vesper
If you've read much of John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata series you most likely are expecting very classic military science fiction which characteristic of the early books like a Hymn before Battle. Or your expecting the spy vs spy nature of Cally's War books. The Hero is more the latter than the former. Yes the book is about a Darhel who is member of a special forces team but is only part of the story.

I would say the book could have been edited down a bit in the last few chapters it could ea
Andreas
This story is set about a thousand years after the events in the Posleen War series. The titular hero is a Darhel. The Darhel are known as being the puppetmasters of humanity a millennium earlier, and also for being incapable of killing. He is assigned to a Deep Reconnaissance Commando team due to his psychic ability to sense living beings. The rest of the team is made up of humans. They are sent on a scouting missions to a planet held by the “Blobs”, a mysterious enemy. While there, they find a ...more
Steven Sheeley
Like Ringo's other works, I enjoyed this series as well. The writing it a little choppier, but still up to par and the character development seems a little off at the start but gets better. I thoroughly enjoyed the series although I remind everyone that this is fiction and not a documentary so, therefore, the simple fact that we would have been overrun in a situation like this is immaterial, trying to find fact in fiction will only lead to sleeplessness, weight gain and teeth gnashing.
Michael
Probably the weakest of the books on the Posleen series. My understanding is that the authors and publisher quietly decided to retcon this book out of the overall Posleen continuity due to ideas and plot threads that did not mesh with the subsequent books. Even if you're a fan of this series, I'd probably give this book a pass.
David L
Note : this review is of the Kindle edition.

This book is an oddity. Though now put as number 5 in the Posleen war saga, it is not in the main sequence at all. It is set approximately a thousand years later than all the other books. It is also different in having a very small cast of characters.

There are points in the book where I was left thinking, this is 'Arena' (Star Trek, original series), aka the Fredric Brown short story, and other derivatives, or 'Enemy Mine'. Fortunately John Ringo does
Diana
The ending seemed unfinished and most of the characters were very one dimensional. Disappointing compared to his other books. I liked the alien--he was the saving grace.
Kathy Davie
Different. I had expected this to carry on from the end of Hell's Faire.

Instead, it's 1,000 years in the future. Sunday and O'Neal's line has continued. The Darhel have been exposed and it's a new enemy that's been added to the roster. Did not get involved with the characters. This story was a blip on the radar. And I sure wouldn't miss it if it disappeared.

Loved the cool (& sneaky) war bots in use by then!
Chompa
I really enjoyed this one. I wasn't expecting the fifth book in the series to jump ahead several hundred years and not involve any of the main characters. At first that disappointed me.

The book was a solid military adventure for the first half and then a survival/suspense as the remaining characters hunted each other. Quite enjoyable, perhaps because I wasn't expecting it to be after the initial disappointment.
Kuroi
An interesting follow up. I wasn't sure about how much I'd like a book set so far in the future after the other books and not about the same war as the previous books but I definitely did enjoy the book even though it was so different. It was a brave move to make such a large departure from the previous books but it did pay off.
Bill Davis
Set thousands of years after the Earth Posleen war ended--a hated Darhel on a Deep Recon Team to a Tslek held planet must battle with his genetic code that prohibits him from killing to survive and return to a Fringe world with recon info.
Stutley Constable
I couldn't finish this book. I just was not interested in the characters. The story was taking too long to develop. What I did read was not the greatest but not the worst. I guess this one was just not my sort of story.
Michael Barnette
Solid military type scifi, but the pace dragged in many places and in others it seemed as if the scenes were being rushed. Over all a fairly good book though if the rest drag like this one I may not finish the series.
Gord McLeod
Not the strongest of the overall series, and separated by about 1,000 years from every other book in it, but some strong characters and a tight, tense story make up for a lot.
Windrider
Nearly unreadable. Ringo is good but avoid this co-author. My opinion, of course.
colleen
read 08.20.05
read 01.xx.06
great military science fiction series
Bryan457
I did not really like this one much.
Chris
a cut above standard ringo.
Brett
Science Fiction
Christopher Fisk
Christopher Fisk marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Victor
Victor added it
Jun 24, 2015
Jcoug25
Jcoug25 marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
  • Crusade (Starfire, #2)
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • The Tau Ceti Agenda
  • Contact with Chaos (Freehold, #4)
  • Luna Marine (The Heritage Trilogy, #2)
John Ringo is a prolific author who has written in a wide variety of genres. His early life included a great deal of travel. He visited 23 foreign countries, and attended fourteen different schools. After graduation Ringo enlisted in the US military for four years, after which he studied marine biology.

In 1999 he wrote and published his first novel "A Hymn Before Battle", which proved successful.
More about John Ringo...

Posleen War (5 books)
  • A Hymn Before Battle (Posleen War, #1)
  • Gust Front (Posleen War, #2)
  • When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3)
  • Hell's Faire (Posleen War, #4)
A Hymn Before Battle (Posleen War, #1) Gust Front (Posleen War, #2) Live Free or Die (Troy Rising, #1) Citadel (Troy Rising, #2) When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3)