Start by marking “Gullhanger: Or How I Learned to Love Brighton and Hove Albion” as Want to Read:
Gullhanger: Or How I Learned to Love Brighton and Hove Albion

Gullhanger: Or How I Learned to Love Brighton and Hove Albion

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Gullhanger is the hilarious, critically-acclaimed diary of a man who sets out to rekindle his passion for the glorious game, and indeed for life itself. Not via a big club such as Manchester United or Arsenal, but via the local third-tier football club to which he’d previously, shamefully, paid little attention: Brighton & Hove Albion FC – aka the Seagulls.
Desperate fo
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Gullhanger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gullhanger

Karlt
Fun enough read in some parts, mildly depressing in some. Lost interest partways through the book, perhaps because I wanted to read about sports, and football, but instead got sob story about losing touch with old friends and midlife weight gain. Also, I wanted to see more detail about the matches, not just "oh yeah Zamora got a hattrick". I usually have very little patience for free books, the moment i find anything slightly annoying about one, I stop reading ( because I can afford to and can d ...more
Emanuel Ramos
A writer decides to buy season tickets to his local English soccer club, because he's going through a mid-life crisis, and he wants to be passionate about something.

I enjoy soccer memoirs, but not this one. There were some choice comedic moments, but the author's voice doesn't work. It's introspective to a fault. He goes on odd tangents that have nothing to do with soccer. It's written like it was straight from his diary, without editing.

I can't recommend this book. Unless you like free books o
John Lee is such a boring name.
This story was near to my heart, because it's kind of the same experience I had with baseball, and specifically the Oakland A's, last year. To be fair, I didn't start following the A's because they were good, but my story is similar in that I did want to care about something. I wanted to follow a sport and really get into it, having followed football casually for the last two years or so. Anyway, this book is written in diary form, which is interesting because it gives it a sense of tremendous u ...more
L.R. Currell
Mike Ward does a solid job with this book. It chronicles his season following a lesser known football team. I enjoyed it quite a lot and laughed at some of the jokes.

It was a good, light hearted read and I especially liked how he analyzed himself during his journey. 3 and a half stars.
Colin
Nice easy read about a season following the local team, and how the author gets wrapped up in the whole expereince.
Ipswichblade
Decent book and nice and cheap on Kindle
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Fauzan Akbar
Fauzan Akbar is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2015
Zach Morrison
Zach Morrison marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Jeremy Edens
Jeremy Edens marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Timothy B Lowery
Timothy B Lowery marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Branko
Branko is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The New Spirit of Watercolor Scratch & Solve® Movie Hangman Elegant Hangman: 250 Scratch & Solve® Puzzles Journalism Online Scratch & Solve® Tough Hangman #1