Start by marking “A Raiz do Ódio (Vik & Stubø #4)” as Want to Read:
A Raiz do Ódio (Vik & Stubø #4)

A Raiz do Ódio (Vik & Stubø #4)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Oslo, numa fria tarde de dezembro. Uma criança descalça anda perdida pelas ruas. Está prestes a ser atropelada por um elétrico, quando, no último momento, é salva por um desconhecido que surge do nada. Pouco depois, sussurra à sua mãe, a criminalista Inger Johanne Vik, ainda mal refeita do susto: «A senhora estava morta…» A partir daí, Johanne e a sua família veem-se envol ...more
Published 2011 by Contraponto (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Raiz do Ódio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Raiz do Ódio

Antonomasia
This book has Casualty syndrome, as - to a lesser extent - do some of the others in this series. You start getting to know perfectly nice separate bunches of characters, and just as you develop a soft spot for them, you hear about something horrible happening to them or their family.

2 paragraphs about themes, on the verge of needing a spoiler tag:
(view spoiler)
David
Johanne Vik is possibly the most pathetic annoying protagonist ever.
This book is slightly disturbing in the subject matter. Hate crimes against gays and lesbians.
Kristiane Johanne's daughter we see her at the start of the book in her nightgown singing in the snow. Then a tram comes towards her,a nd she's quickly pulled away. Johanne sees this and slaps the man, for his efforts. it is things like this that make Johanne Vik utterly repugnant. and vile, she cares little for other people's thoughts
Jay Caselberg
Okay, so this is another novel I am two minds about. As a straight crime novel it's good as it goes. Another one of the rash of Scandi writers all over the crime genre. Oslo, an intriguing opening scene and then quite readable. Holt has an interesting literary tic in which she echoes from one passage to the next, quite deliberately, but after a while, it just became annoying. Then as the book progressed, being virtually beaten with the gay agenda was a little like reading a sermon. Hate group, c ...more
Richard Ward
Didn't enjoy this one. It's 500 pages (or that's what my Kindle says, anyway) and it just doesn't have 500 pages worth of content, nor anywhere close to it. Huge sections drag on with little happening. I almost gave up on it several times, and now that I've finished it I feel like I completed a real chore, which is not I want to feel after reading a novel. My favourite novelist is still Agatha Christie, and all of a sudden I appreciate the economy of her writing. Beyond this book's tiresome leng ...more
Simona
very dissapointing...as all the scandinavian books I've read so far. Didn't like it. Don't recommend it.
Claire
I didn't actually finish this book. I got two thirds in and then gave up because it just wasn't exciting enough for me. There were too many characters and sub plots and too much time was spent on description and explaining things that the momentum was just lost. There cane a point when I forgot what the point if the story was so I had to give up.
Roberta Moeschter
Another mesmerizing novel by Holt. This is filled with faith, hope, hopelessness, greed, humanity, sacrifice, fanaticism, and so much more. The characters Holt develops are very true in their relationships. Too many protagonists in mysteries seem larger than life and untouchable. Hers are quite fallible and human.
I greatly enjoyed the prologue to the book. It added a touch that I think really summarily wraps up this novel. I particularly like this exchange. It will be a bit of a spoiler so be a
Carolyn
A reasonably engaging plot which sustains the reader's interest throughout most of the book. Most of the characters were sufficiently well-constructed to be at least believable, though the deeper motivations of the people behind the killings could have been examined in greater detail.
Christine Van Heertum
Une enquête très lente sans rebondissements tout au long de ses 570 pages, des personnages relativement fades auxquels il est difficile de s'accrocher, et un dénouement qui n'en est pas un ... en ce qui me concerne, à oublier ...
MacarthursMutterings
little slow to get going, but really comes together well at the end
Susan
A real page turner - "who done it" as usual a real surprise to me. And, as usual, I especially enjoy these Scandenavian thriller/mysteries with a lot of social interest, information and content. A female bishop, highly regarded and loved, has been murdered. As have other much less distinguished citizens of Oslo. Our detective is the step-father of a fragile teenager, with maybe autism, maybe not - portrayed with great accuracy and feeling as are her parents relationship with her. Lots of twists ...more
Patrícia

Como é a raiz do ódio? Onde começa, como se alimenta para crescer até ramificar e destruir tudo à sua volta?

Este livro, o primeiro que li da Roda dos livros, foi uma ótima surpresa. Definitivamente Anne Holt entrou para a minha lista de autores favoritos.

O livro começa com uma criança especial, Kristiane, a caminhar descalça numa noite gelada das ruas de Oslo. É salva, in extremis, por um desconhecido. Johanne, a mãe da criança, não compreende quando ela lhe diz “A senhora estava morta”.

Adam, m
yexxo
Es gibt eine ganze Reihe von Morden in Bergen und Oslo - oder besser Toten. Eine ermordete Bischöfin, ein toter Asylbewerber der aus dem Wasser gefischt wird, eine heroinsüchtige junge Frau stürzt aus dem Fenster, ihr Bruder wird in einem Park niedergeschlagen und noch ein, zwei mehr. Wer den Klappentext zuvor nicht gelesen hat, wird keinerlei Verbindungen erkennen, erste Anhaltspunkte tauchen ab der Mitte des Buches auf. Dort wird eine ominöse "Gruppe 25" eher beiläufig eingeführt, religiöse Fa ...more
dubh
Gotteszahl ist der vierte Fall um den Ermittler Yngvar Stubø, die zweite Reihe nach der um die Polizeikommissarin Hanne Wilhelmsen, mit der Anne Holt hierzulande erfolgreich wurde.

In Bergen geschieht ein graumsamer Mord: die engagierte Bischöfin Lysgaard wird an den Weihnachtsfeiertagen erstochen aufgefunden, im einige hundert Kilometer entfernten Oslo eine stark verweste Leiche aus dem Wasser gezogen. Motive sind in beiden Fällen nicht erkennbar... Dann wird Kommissar Yngvar Stubø in die Küsten
Kate Neilan
I picked up Fear Not from the ‘Scandi-Crime’ stand in my local chain bookshop on a whim, having previously read 1222, the last in Holt’s other series, about a female police officer, which I’d really enjoyed - it’s a great example of a locked-room murder mystery in a snowy setting. Again, my it’s-not-the-first-in-the-series curse struck again. This is in fact ‘Vik and Stubo #4’, according to Goodreads. Never mind, I thought, I might as well give it a try.
In fact, I didn’t feel I’d missed out on p
Estibaliz79
'Si es novela negra, no pasa de cuatro estrellas'... Es lo que tiene leer tanto, que uno acaba por desarrollar hasta sus propios aforismos literarios.

Y como también los medios puntos son habituales, en 3 1/2 lo dejamos, porque aunque la cosa convence, tampoco encanta. Ya se sabe lo que me pasa a mí con los nórdicos en este género, que les encuentro, precisamente, cierto encanto relacionado con el carácter y la ambientación de sus historias, más apegadas a lo íntimo y familiar, a lo pequeño, que
Petrana Petrova
В началото имах трудност с имената, с оразличаване кое е женско, кое е мъжко - понякога се оказваше, че разликата е в една гласна на края. Нов тип криминален роман, преплетен с идеология, още далечна на Европа, актуална в Норвегия - хомофобията и как тя може да обединява обичайни религиозни врагове. Ане Холт е уловила една нова проблематика още в началото и бавно въвлича читателя в нея.
Дали Ане Холт няма да се окаже Дан Браун на стария континент?
Без динамиката на "всичко да се реши за ден-два".
I spent the first 50% of the book (quite literally, hurrah for ebooks) terribly confused but impressed by the bodycount. Then the rest of it thinking OMG HE DID IT or OMG THEY'RE ALL GOING TO DIE. and my iPhone is posting this review every time I finish a sentence. I enjoyed it very much. I think my main criticisms would be some clunky exposition, and overuse of the 'this character is doing something' [end paragraph] 'other character in different location is doing the same thing' linking meme. A ...more
Sylvia Vago
A very interesting thriller/crime story set in Oslo at Christmas time. There are a number of strands to this story, which leads to the ultimate reveal. I liked its edginess and Holt's treatment of contemporary issues, and the believable women characters portrayed in the story.
Paul
Een ontdekking. Deze Noorse schrijft spannende detectiveverhalen rond de figuur van Johanne Vik. Wel een beetje veel verhaallijnen, alhoewel ze natuurlijk allemaal samenkomen. Maar ik kan niet meer zoveel onthouden.
De Engelse vertaling is ok.
Tracy
Aargh, I'm glad that's over. Kept drifting off, losing my focus this book was so disjointed and had a very poor storyline, I could save you the trouble and suggest something else to read.
Elizabeth Owens
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The plot was complex, so it was exciting when all the story lines came together. It was slightly frustrating that some of the clues and revelations were drawn out for a long time and didn't amount to anything near as exciting as I had hoped. However, I do respect this novel because it is not a simple whodunit mystery, but instead gets its climax from a moment of irony that is not nearly as straightforward as revealing the murderer. Overall, I enjoyed the plot, but ...more
Crt
Billed as being better than Stieg, but I don't think. Still a very enjoyable read, and the book got better the more I read.
Marooi
Spannend. En een beetje vergezocht, dat ook
Rowland Harden
The writing style of the first few chapters, were very similar to that of Jo Nesbø - this is an extremely good thing! Unfortunately, this quality didn’t last throughout the slow middle section. Also, I was pretty frustrated by how long it took the police to see the common link between the crimes. However, I felt the ending was very good and the book, overall, just about deserves a 3/5!

A good, enjoyable read, I would definitely read more by Anne Holt.
Sheila
I have read earlier books in this series (I can never keep them all straight) and really enjoy the way she portrays Kristianne and her family's efforts to make a safe place for her in the world.

I think the characters are very well done and also find Holt much easier to take than some of the other Scandinavian writers with their gruesome, relentlessly bleak scenarios. The characters reveal themselves without being too introspective and are capable of great warmth.

Plus it's a great police procedu
Helen
Quite a complicated story, but it did come together fairly well in the end. I wish I liked Johanne Vik a bit more than I do, since she is the main female character - she can be very annoying! I was not entirely convinced by the lengths to which the group behind the murders were prepared to go in their pursuance of hate crime (against gays and lesbians, in this case), but who knows? There is a strange twist at the end, in the irony of what set off the whole train of events in the first place.
Birgit Alsinger
En række mord uden tilsyneladende sammenhæng begås og en sammenhæng udruller sig langsomt.
Første halvdel af bogen var spændende og læselysten bar den, anden halvdel blev et tungt, semi-politisk statement og lange udredninger om hate-crimes. Selve afsløringen var abrubt og udramatisk, uden spænding, historien skulle jo ligesom bare afsluttes.
Så det bliver kun til 2 stjerner fra mig og nu tror jeg, at jeg er færdig med Anne Holt
Eva Dillner
Själva storyn var intressant men alla dessa sidospår om illaluktande sovrum blev lite för mycket. Jag kände att jag ideligen tappade tråden när det svävade ut i vardagstristessen. Detta var första boken av Anne Holt jag läst. Undrar om man blir mer kräsen med åren? Jag har läst deckare hela livet. Började med Tvillingdetektiverna och Vi Fem sen blev det Agatha Christie, Helen MacInnes, och en massa fler...
Rachel Cotterill
This was a fairly tense mystery with a snowy Norwegian backdrop that's just perfect for this time of year. The themes, however, are grim and not at all merry - a good read, but by no means a light one. In the beginning the style felt a bit jumpy as the story moved between many viewpoint characters, but gradually the plot-lines started to converge and make sense as a coherent and satisfying whole.
Discrepancy? 2 8 Nov 04, 2011 09:00PM
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
  • Summer Death
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • The Man in the Window
  • Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • Burned (Henning Juul #1)
  • Prime Time (Annika Bengtzon, #3)
  • Shame
  • The Day is Dark (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #4)
  • Der Tote vom Strand. (Inspector Van Veeteren #8)
  • Frozen Moment (Christian Tell, #1)
  • The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8)
  • The Murder of Halland
  • Until Thy Wrath Be Past (Rebecka Martinsson, #4)
  • Woman with Birthmark (Inspector Van Veeteren #4)
  • Mörkertal (A-gruppen, #8)
  • Nights of Awe
  • Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5)
Anne Holt was born in Larvik, grew up in Lillestrøm and Tromsø, and moved to Oslo in 1978. She graduated with a law degree from the University of Bergen in 1986, and went on to work for The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) and then the Oslo Police Department, earning her right to practice as a lawyer in Norway. In 1990 she returned to NRK, where she worked one year as a journalist and anch ...more
More about Anne Holt...

Vik & Stubø (5 books)
  • What is Mine
  • What Never Happens
  • Presidentens valg
  • Skyggedød
1222 (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #8) What is Mine Blind Goddess (Hanne Wilhelmsen #1) What Never Happens Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (Hanne Wilhelmsen #2)