Start by marking “Dead Money” as Want to Read:
Dead Money

Dead Money

Double-glazing salesman Alan Slater is in trouble. He hasn't had a good sales lead in months. His wife rightly
suspects him of playing around. His best mate Les Beale has turned into a bigoted, boozed-up headcase. And that's the least of it.

When a rigged poker game has fatal consequences, Alan finds himself not only responsible for the clean-up, but
also for Beale's escalati
Published November 2011 by Blasted Heath (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Money

Josh
Oct 26, 2011 Josh rated it it was amazing
Imagine a man who has it all; successful career, loving trophy wife, mates worth their weight in gold, and a healthy stress-free lifestyle. Now, perish the thought and be introduced to Alan, a double glaze salesman who’s the polar opposite of the ‘man who has it all’. On a rung slightly above telemarketer, the home salesman is depicted as little more than an unfaithful husband, yes-man, and borderline alcoholic whose only saving grace is that he’s not Les Beale – toxic friend extraordinaire. Tha ...more
Benoit Lelièvre
Nov 28, 2011 Benoit Lelièvre rated it it was amazing
The fact that Ray Banks is not a celebrated author is an argument for the idea that the traditional publishing industry is actually not trying to sell you good books. Part Guy-Ritchie'esque wit and part gritty underworld story, DEAD MONEY is 100% noir. Banks' protagonist Alan Slater is sly and charming and it makes reading his misfortunes nothing but a great joy. Seriously, if Dead Money was a movie script instead of a novel, it would have made millions already
Nigel Bird
Jan 18, 2012 Nigel Bird rated it it was amazing
When I first became a teacher I was going to change the world. I looked around scathingly at my older colleagues with their crumbling enthusiasm and veneer of bitterness. I vowed to myself that I’d never be like them. Never.
Nowadays I should be apologising to my younger self. At the same time, I might like to explain that getting older isn’t what it seems from the perspective of youth. It does things to you. What I didn’t understand then is that experience can step in where energy once used to b
Judi
Jan 09, 2012 Judi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Judi by: Guy Savage
Shelves: read-in-2012
"That wasn't me. I didn't need that the way Beale did. I had other things to keep me occupied. I was better than him. I had control. I had it all sussed.

And looking back, that was probably my biggest mistake. Because no matter how much you think you have it figured out, you don't. There's always something in the shadows to bite you in the arse."

****

Set in Manchester, England and narrated in first person by a Windows & Doors salesman, Alan Slater, about the deteriorating relationship between
Elizabeth A.
Nov 21, 2011 Elizabeth A. rated it really liked it
No good deed ever goes unpunished, or so goes the sardonic saying. It’s one Manchester-based double glazing salesman Alan Slater would have done well to keep in mind before agreeing to help his so-called friend, Les Beale, out of a jam.

Of course, considering the jam in question involved helping Beale cover up a particularly nasty crime perhaps Slater should have seen the world of hurt he ends up in coming. Thankfully for readers of Ray Banks’ Dead Money, he did not.

Given that Slater is already h
Tim Niland
Dec 22, 2011 Tim Niland rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
This dark noir takes the classic plot of the man at the wrong place at the wrong time caught up in a crime that is not of his own making. Alan Slater is a salesman for a home remodeling company. He's doing alright despite juggling a loveless marriage, a young mistress and a drinking problem. But when he hooks up with down on his luck fellow salesman and compulsive gambler Les Beale, things turn from bad to worse. As Beale loses more and more and his debt grows bigger and bigger, Slater unwitting ...more
Darren Sant
Dec 07, 2011 Darren Sant rated it it was amazing
Les Beale is a ticking time bomb. His best friend Alan Slater is his personal bomb disposal unit. When Alan fails to accompany Les to a poker game all hell breaks loose and Alan finds himself at the centre of the blast radius.

Ray Banks excellently deconstructs Alan’s life one body blow at a time. In his usual straightforward fashion Banks tell the tale of a cocky double glazing salesman whose choice of friend will cost him dear.

Like all of the fiction that I have read thus far by Ray Banks Dead
Charlie Wade
Aug 08, 2013 Charlie Wade rated it it was amazing
Double glazing salesman, Alan, and his buddy, Beale, limp from one disaster to the next as alcoholism, a dead dog, and gambling debts seem to drag Beale down and Alan with him.
This is a fantastic gritty urban novel. Set in Manchester, it's the side of life rarely seen. All is believable and told in Ray Banks' unique and enjoyable style.
Fiona Johnson
Dec 16, 2011 Fiona Johnson rated it it was amazing
I always like crime stories with dogs. They add a certain smell to the crimes being committed, especially if the dog is dead, so I was delighted to discover that a dead dog plays quite a large part in DEAD MONEY by Ray Banks. In fact, the section with the dog is one of the best parts in the book and actually made me squeal out loud. Now that's something that doesn't happen very often these days!

The story involves two guys on a very rapid spiral downwards, one pulling the other on a journey into
Jay Fromkin
Aug 23, 2012 Jay Fromkin rated it it was amazing
Let me state up front that I'm a sucker for good British crime novels and film - "Peril," by Ruby Barnes; Dougie Brimson's "The Crew"; about anything by Ian Rankin; "The Long Good Friday," "Mona Lisa," "Get Carter" (the original), "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels." Add to this, "Dead Money." As in these films (and especially Guy Ritchie's "Snatch"), most readers will not understand all of the cultural references and local (Manchester in this case) slang. That's OK. Ray Banks has written a cr ...more
Gareth Price
Oct 31, 2011 Gareth Price rated it really liked it
The Goodreads blurb does a very good job of outlining Dead Moneys' plot so won't rehash here. I was drawn to Mr Banks work a while ago based on recommendations from other writers (Allan Guthrie, Ken Bruen)& the fact that his Cal Innes series was set in my home town of Manchester. Innes doesn't always stay local in those books but Dead Money is firmly rooted in Manchesters casinos, pubs & bars. Banks has a way of nailing dialogue & actions that is both natural & believable then la ...more
Midnight
Nov 11, 2011 Midnight rated it it was amazing
Ray Banks is not an author I’d come across before but his books were recommended to me so I took the opportunity to give this a try.

Double glazing salesman Alan Slater is a philanderer of epic proportions. His best mate and work colleague is divorced Les Beale who has a drink problem as well as an addiction to gambling, particularly poker. Beale drags Slater down into the world of loan sharks - and worse - as their lives go on a downward rollercoaster spiralling out of control.

Initially, I wasn’
Chris Rhatigan
Apr 08, 2012 Chris Rhatigan rated it it was amazing
Dead Money is about Alan Slater, a failing door-to-door salesman whose screwing around behind his wife's back. The novel opens with Slater at a casino with his "friend," hot-headed, high-stakes gambler and all-around asshole Les Beale. Beale is in the habit of convincing Slater to hang around with him as a sort of moral support/check on his explosive temper.

The one night Slater bows out from these festivities he gets a frantic, 2 a.m. call from Beale. Out of some sense of loyalty (or not?), Sla
Warren Stalley
Sep 09, 2014 Warren Stalley rated it really liked it
Dead Money starts with an extremely well-crafted opening chapter which details the polish, routine and desperation of a northern England casino. The narrative follows weary double glazing salesman with a gambling habit Alan Slater. When Slater helps his work colleague Les Beale out after a rigged card game goes disastrously wrong then their friendship is tested to the limits and soon blackmail is on the cards, because with friends like Beale you don’t need enemies. Slater’s life starts to nosedi ...more
Ian
Jan 04, 2012 Ian rated it it was ok
Shelves: thrillers
Starting with a long and rather overwritten description of a seedy casino and moving on to a lengthy block of dialogue with too few tags that makes it hard to follow doesn't bode well. Plus there's too much unexplained technical jargon in the casion scenes which only serves to add confusion rather than atmosphere.

Although set in Manchester some of the character voices don't seem to ring true to the location.

Some of this might not matter too much if it was a decent story, but nothing much happen
Lily Mulholland
Feb 06, 2012 Lily Mulholland rated it really liked it
Shelves: noir
I've been reading US noir and crime fiction lately, so this novel, set in the UK, had me off-kilter from the beginning. It would appear the British voice is completely different from that used typically in US noir. As well, Banks used far more exposition than his US contemporaries, which came as a surprise, as most of the noir I've read recently is written vary sparsely. Through exposition and use of long descriptive passages, we came to learn a lot more about the protagonist than we typically d ...more
Michele Thulborn-chapman
Sep 21, 2013 Michele Thulborn-chapman rated it really liked it
Life as a gambler has a few problems...

I got this one after reading a preview and because it sort of fits in a little with my job.
I enjoyed the writing style, the story moved along quickly enough and liked the characters.
I would definitely try another book by Ray Banks.
Martin Cooper
Apr 12, 2012 Martin Cooper rated it it was ok
I liked Wolf Tickets but this book was a bit of a disappointment it was very slow to start and at my go no go 20% it was a difficult decision and only the previous book made me continue. The story eventually got off the ground but was nothing much to write home about.
Lis
Sep 11, 2012 Lis rated it really liked it

When sick-fuck-Northern-noir inevitably becomes the Big Thing it deserves to be, Ray Banks will be able to add "posterboy for a genre" to his many accomplishments.
Jack
Feb 02, 2017 Jack rated it liked it
Alan is trying to look after his friend, to save him from himself. But one thing leads to another an it all starts to fall apart.
Kate Sherrod
Dec 05, 2011 Kate Sherrod rated it really liked it
Like a prose Guy Ritchie production without all the showing off. Nice!
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2012
Alan Potts
Alan Potts rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Neil Trais
Neil Trais rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2014
Mike Hughes
Mike Hughes rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2011
Gregor
Gregor rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2012
Sascha
Sascha rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Kieran Ward
Kieran Ward rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Ed O'farrell
Ed O'farrell rated it liked it
May 28, 2012
Gadarene
Gadarene rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013