Start by marking “Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1)” as Want to Read:
Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1)

Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  730 ratings  ·  46 reviews
After a terrible argument with her father over their family property, 'Waters Meeting', Rebecca Saunders throws her swag in the ute and heads north with her three dogs. A job as a jillaroo takes her into the rowdy world of B&S balls, Bundy rum and boys. When she at last settles down to a bit of study at agricultural college, her life is turned upside down by the very h ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Penguin (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jillaroo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jillaroo

The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots by Loretta HillThe Rouseabout by Rachael TreasureJillaroo by Rachael TreasureThe Family Farm by Fiona PalmerThe Road Home by Fiona Palmer
Australian Rural Fiction
3rd out of 110 books — 68 voters
A Town Like Alice by Nevil ShuteThe Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughPicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan LindsayIn a Sunburned Country by Bill BrysonOn the Beach by Nevil Shute
Books Set in Australia
171st out of 371 books — 110 voters

More lists with this book...

Jess
Over the last couple of days I’ve tried to think about when I first learnt about Rachael Treasure and the type of books she wrote. Although my mind still draws a blank as to the exact time frame, I do remember almost unconsciously always understanding that she wrote rural fiction and was one of the, if not arguably the fore runner, dominators of Australia rural fiction. For years it seems, I’ve understood that she is driving force behind the thriving genre without ever having read her work. When ...more
Lauren Murphy
Jillaroo by Rachael Treasure is one of the books on my TBR shelf I really wanted to read this year and I’m so glad I made the time to pick this one up. It’s quite a moving story about a country girl who is passionate about farming and determined to see her family farm succeed.

The opening scene sparks immediate empathy for the protagonist Rebecca, with a big blow up with her cranky old man she leaves behind her family farm in a fit of rage with her Ute, swag and three beloved dogs. With her paren
Chanpreet
I recently read one of Rachael Treasure's books and I absolutely loved it. So I thought I'd read another to see if I enjoyed it just as much, and lo and behold I did. The descriptive and vivid way Ms. treasure described the beauty and wildness of Australia makes me want to hop on a plane and go there right away. This book made me cry, laugh, and smile. This book is an excellent example of how everyone has their own failings and what happens when we don't deal with them. Ms. Treasure has two more ...more
Caity
I started crying when Tom died at 11:30pm
A truly touching story that has very good romance and story line. I automatically connected with Bec just from the way treasure has described her personality an her situation. I don't even live on a farm. I'm a city girl, but just reading it made me ache for a rushing river. Great book!!
Metalprincess
Loved it!! It's just rehashed my dream of living on a farm!

I loved reading about the animals, and Becs life, crying and laughing at the things that get thrown at her.

A wonderful Aussie book!
Dianne Sidebottom
This book has another title called "River Run Deep". The story covers relationships of a family who run a farm which covers dreams that die for some. Marriage/divorce/separation breakdown which filters down to guilt. Some run away, others hide away hurt but eventually effects everyone n animals. The story really brings out the difficulty of farming n depending on mother nature is unpredictable. Who gets to stay n inherit gets messy. But the positive is that education is beneficial but changes ne ...more
Leigh Hutton
Classic Aussie rural romance, at its best! Loved the 'go girl' vibe and have drawn a lot of inspiration for my own writing from this book.
Kelly-anne Mellor
I am a sucker for outback (rural) romance
Bronwyn Rykiert
Rebecca Saunder’s has just had another fight with her father and this time he has told her to leave and never return, she in a temper does just that, even though she had decided that she wanted to work 12 months at a Jillaroo at home. She takes her dogs and goes without even saying goodbye to her brother’s Mick and Tom. Their mother Frankie has recently left them as well. Their father Harry is very stubborn and won’t change anything with regards to running the family property.

Rebecca finds herse
Amira
My sister and I love this book! It portrays Aussie country life in an easy and funny way, yet still approaching family issues and depression in country Australia. I noticed that its also published as 'River Run Deep'
After a terrible argument with her father over their family property Waters Meeting, Rebecca throws her swag into the back of her ute and heads north with her sheepdogs. A job as a trainee farmhand takes her into the rowdy world of country dances, Bundy rum and boys. When she at last
Jayde Bailey
oh god guys!
This may be a round them up country stock farm girl book but ive never meet a book ive fallen in Lurv with more!! Bec's sory is one i countinue to think about even when im not reading, the loveable drunken party animal Charlie Lewis is deffently a guy you do and dont want to bring home to meet dad. while silent little Tom is finding his feet and only while drunk will voice his oppion. i dont like Trudy one little bit and i think Micks only thinking with his little head insted of his
Bron
I listened to the audio version of Jillaroo while marking. Was really strange listening to an australian voice reading, and was even more an unreal experience listening to the very aussie okka talk that was used in the book! The book is about a girl who actually likes farming (*gasp* - I couldn't get off a hobby farm fast enough), and her attempt to make her family and everyone realise that she really is serious in wanting to be a "farmer", especially wanting to make her family's farm succeed.

I
Telina
Could not put this book down! I luuurrrvvved it! Now searching for more books by Rachael treasure.
Ashley Rees
Loved this book, one of my favourite reads from Rachael
Cate Marsden
This book nearly broke me at a couple of points. It was heartbreaking and sweet, and made me homesick all over again for a place I lived for less than a year.
Bronwyn Riley
The lady at the tumbling waters market promised me this was a good read. It didnt seem my type of book but I purchased it nonetheless. It was a surprisingly good read. Although I was raised in the city, I believed her depiction of rural life and characters and was impressed she included themes of drought, landcare and other very serious problems confronting people of the land today.
Kat at Book Thingo
Nov 16, 2010 Kat at Book Thingo rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kat at Book Thingo by: Zosia
This is the book I have dubbed The Vomit Book. In summary: They fight, they drink, they puke, they save the farm. If you’re thinking of trying this author, start with a different book.

You can read my full review at Book Thingo.
Darcy Crettenden
i really like this book it is one of my favourite books i havnt finished it but so far it is good it about a girl who wants to be a farmer and her dad kicks her off his farm and then she goes and works up on a station then she goes to uni to study AGG im am only up to that bit so far
Wilmado
My favourite book by Rachel treasure, whom I was lucky enough to meet several years ago in Melbourne! Jillaroo is an accurate description of life in rural Australia. Very easy to fall in love with the protagonist, and to become addicted to this novel!
Gillian Milne
I really enjoyed reading this book. I found the characters interesting. It had love, laughter, sadness, and traumer! I found the turnaround in farm fortune a bit far fetched, but, it is fiction! I will definitely read more of Rachel Treasures novels!
Katherine
One of the best books I have read. I just finished it for the second time and thoroughly enjoyed it again. Rachael Treasure did a great job on Jillaroo and her other books were amazing too. Jillaroo is definetly one of my favourite books.
Aileen
I loved it!! An excellent portrayal of life on the land with all of its ups and downs, tragedies and triumphs. I loved the ending when she finally gets to be with the love of her life, the way Sally gets them back together was great!
Sharon
Another great read by Rachael Treasure. I know some find her writing quiet predictable but I love reading about farming life and almost real to life cowboys!! 8-) Add some drama and you have a great read!
Hannah
Loved this tale of Australian country life. Well written from many different perspectives. I cried, laughed and was generally hooked. A great read, looking forward to reading her next books.
Sandra
My absolute favourite, can't remember how many times I've read this book. Makes you want to get out into the country and find Charlie... Waiting (im)patiently for the sequel, The Farmers Wife.
Madeleine Mccomas
Quite a fun read. They story felt like it was going on for a little long but all in all not bad. Some major surprises and some major predictabilities but in general it was good.
Bec Whyte
Love Rachel's books! Easy to read and hard to put down with an authentic and fast past writing style that continues throughout her many publications :)
Emily Olive
This book is such a heart felt book i read it twice in 2 days hahaha :') i cryed so so much when tom died :'(((( But this book is truly a must read book :')))
Georgie
This book was really good. A light read and an enjoyable one. I did find it predictable. And cliche. But still enjoyable
Kiwileese
Listened to the Audio Version of this and highly recommend it.
Beautifully read by Miranda Nation.

Absolutely Loved it!!
  • Queen of the Road
  • Rosalee Station
  • Wings of Fear
  • Zoe's Muster
Rachael Treasure lives in southern rural Tasmania with her two young children. She is passionate about encouraging non-readers to read, inspiring farmers to consider regenerative agricultural practices and animal handlers to better understand their dogs and livestock. She is a graduate of Orange Agricultural College and has a Bachelor of Arts (Communication) from Charles Sturt University, Bathurst ...more
More about Rachael Treasure...

Jillaroo (2 books)
  • The Farmer's Wife (Jillaroo #2)
The Rouseabout The Stockmen The Cattleman's Daughter The Farmer's Wife (Jillaroo #2) Fifty Bales of Hay