Start by marking “Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1)” as Want to Read:
Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1)

Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  896 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
After a terrible argument with her father over their family property, 'Waters Meeting', Rebecca Saunders throws her swag in the ute and heads north with her three dogs. A job as a jillaroo takes her into the rowdy world of B&S balls, Bundy rum and boys. When she at last settles down to a bit of study at agricultural college, her life is turned upside down by the very h ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Penguin (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jillaroo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jillaroo

Jess
Jun 29, 2013 Jess rated it it was amazing
Over the last couple of days I’ve tried to think about when I first learnt about Rachael Treasure and the type of books she wrote. Although my mind still draws a blank as to the exact time frame, I do remember almost unconsciously always understanding that she wrote rural fiction and was one of the, if not arguably the fore runner, dominators of Australia rural fiction. For years it seems, I’ve understood that she is driving force behind the thriving genre without ever having read her work. When ...more
Lauren Murphy
Jillaroo by Rachael Treasure is one of the books on my TBR shelf I really wanted to read this year and I’m so glad I made the time to pick this one up. It’s quite a moving story about a country girl who is passionate about farming and determined to see her family farm succeed.

The opening scene sparks immediate empathy for the protagonist Rebecca, with a big blow up with her cranky old man she leaves behind her family farm in a fit of rage with her Ute, swag and three beloved dogs. With her paren
Chanpreet
Jan 17, 2012 Chanpreet rated it it was amazing
I recently read one of Rachael Treasure's books and I absolutely loved it. So I thought I'd read another to see if I enjoyed it just as much, and lo and behold I did. The descriptive and vivid way Ms. treasure described the beauty and wildness of Australia makes me want to hop on a plane and go there right away. This book made me cry, laugh, and smile. This book is an excellent example of how everyone has their own failings and what happens when we don't deal with them. Ms. Treasure has two more ...more
Heidi Kennedy
Jul 22, 2015 Heidi Kennedy rated it did not like it
In fairness I only read Jillaroo as part of a project to read books that were popular but I wouldn't normally read. However, I did think it would be more engaging than it was. It turns out to essentially be a book about stereotypical characters getting drunk and throwing up in various different settings. That's about it.
Kat at Book Thingo
Nov 16, 2010 Kat at Book Thingo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kat at Book Thingo by: Zosia
This is the book I have dubbed The Vomit Book. In summary: They fight, they drink, they puke, they save the farm. If you’re thinking of trying this author, start with a different book.

You can read my full review at Book Thingo.
Maria
Oct 19, 2015 Maria rated it did not like it
A bogan farm girl meets a Mummy's boy and spends years trying to win back the farm which by rights is not hers to own in the first place. She is obviously a raging alcoholic with father issues which when she meets the love of her life (who by the way is also a raging alcoholic, with mother issues)whilst both are drunk and kiss in a river, seems to think she can save her life by being more drunk.

The easy way she has sex with anyone drunk enough, her drink driving and her barely able to scrape th
Amanda Barrett
May 28, 2015 Amanda Barrett rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
Rachael Treasure’s first and bestselling novel Jillaroo is the book that kick started the phenomenon that is the Australian rural romance genre. Jillaroo features the feisty Rebecca Saunders, a country girl who after a huge argument with her Father, leaves her beloved family property to work as a jillaroo. Taking her dogs with her for the ride, Rebecca makes a success of her new position. The novel also covers Rebecca’s time at Agricultural College, where she meets scoundrel and love interest Ch ...more
Caity
Nov 19, 2012 Caity rated it really liked it
I started crying when Tom died at 11:30pm
A truly touching story that has very good romance and story line. I automatically connected with Bec just from the way treasure has described her personality an her situation. I don't even live on a farm. I'm a city girl, but just reading it made me ache for a rushing river. Great book!!
Metalprincess
Apr 18, 2011 Metalprincess rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! It's just rehashed my dream of living on a farm!

I loved reading about the animals, and Becs life, crying and laughing at the things that get thrown at her.

A wonderful Aussie book!
Dianne Sidebottom
Mar 01, 2015 Dianne Sidebottom rated it really liked it
This book has another title called "River Run Deep". The story covers relationships of a family who run a farm which covers dreams that die for some. Marriage/divorce/separation breakdown which filters down to guilt. Some run away, others hide away hurt but eventually effects everyone n animals. The story really brings out the difficulty of farming n depending on mother nature is unpredictable. Who gets to stay n inherit gets messy. But the positive is that education is beneficial but changes ne ...more
Leigh Hutton
Jan 07, 2015 Leigh Hutton rated it it was amazing
Classic Aussie rural romance, at its best! Loved the 'go girl' vibe and have drawn a lot of inspiration for my own writing from this book.
Kelly-anne Mellor
Feb 14, 2012 Kelly-anne Mellor rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for outback (rural) romance
Bronwyn Rykiert
Rebecca Saunder’s has just had another fight with her father and this time he has told her to leave and never return, she in a temper does just that, even though she had decided that she wanted to work 12 months at a Jillaroo at home. She takes her dogs and goes without even saying goodbye to her brother’s Mick and Tom. Their mother Frankie has recently left them as well. Their father Harry is very stubborn and won’t change anything with regards to running the family property.

Rebecca finds herse
Amira
My sister and I love this book! It portrays Aussie country life in an easy and funny way, yet still approaching family issues and depression in country Australia. I noticed that its also published as 'River Run Deep'
After a terrible argument with her father over their family property Waters Meeting, Rebecca throws her swag into the back of her ute and heads north with her sheepdogs. A job as a trainee farmhand takes her into the rowdy world of country dances, Bundy rum and boys. When she at last
Jade Bailey-Hassan
Jan 29, 2014 Jade Bailey-Hassan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
oh god guys!
This may be a round them up country stock farm girl book but ive never meet a book ive fallen in Lurv with more!! Bec's sory is one i countinue to think about even when im not reading, the loveable drunken party animal Charlie Lewis is deffently a guy you do and dont want to bring home to meet dad. while silent little Tom is finding his feet and only while drunk will voice his oppion. i dont like Trudy one little bit and i think Micks only thinking with his little head insted of his
Bron
Aug 30, 2011 Bron rated it liked it
Shelves: australian, outback, rural
I listened to the audio version of Jillaroo while marking. Was really strange listening to an australian voice reading, and was even more an unreal experience listening to the very aussie okka talk that was used in the book! The book is about a girl who actually likes farming (*gasp* - I couldn't get off a hobby farm fast enough), and her attempt to make her family and everyone realise that she really is serious in wanting to be a "farmer", especially wanting to make her family's farm succeed.

I
Smokerjoerabbit Tong
Mar 22, 2016 Smokerjoerabbit Tong rated it really liked it
You don't have to be an ex farm girl or Australian Jillaroo to enjoy this book...but admittedly it helps. Great storyline, strong rural characters and the language is typically that of Outback Australia so it will appeal to those down under in NZ or Aussie in particular. I get a feeling of condescension towards city life which I didn't like ...but overall a great read.
camilla
Jul 24, 2015 camilla rated it it was ok
Shelves: australian, read-2015
Quick read but the writing I found a bit simple and annoying. Love the farm feminism but the complete dysfunction of the main character's family was too stressful and too obviously set up the tragedy that some jerk on goodreads totally blew for me. Also I felt like I was reading something only slightly better than a typical romance novel.
Mariam
Jan 20, 2016 Mariam rated it liked it
A quick and easy read, this was a great introduction to Australiana, and a feel-good woman-power book. That said, one doesn't read it for the quality of the writing or the originality of the story.
Amy Martin
Feb 05, 2016 Amy Martin rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at an op shop on the weekend. I had never heard of Rachael Treasure. I absolutely loved this modern Australian outback chick lit novel, and I'm now on the hunt for her other books!
Larissa
Jan 02, 2016 Larissa rated it it was amazing
This was the first 'country romance' I read, and what a way to start! This book started the popularity of the genre and is set as an example of wonderful 'chick lit'.
Telina
Mar 07, 2014 Telina rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down! I luuurrrvvved it! Now searching for more books by Rachael treasure.
Jan 26, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I'm not much of a reviewer. I loved this book. Gives you a taste of that world and gets saucy.
Kaye
~2.5 stars

Well, I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting in this book . . . but this wasn't it. I didn't realize that in contemporary Australian literature "rural fiction" means "more drinking and carousing than character development" and "no plot." Or a meandering, weak plot at best.

Ah, well . . . I've expanded my reading horizons and I had a good time listening to narrator Miranda Nation for her lyrical accent and trying to figure out what all of the Aussie colloquialisms and slang and trying
Ashley Rees
Oct 22, 2014 Ashley Rees rated it really liked it
Loved this book, one of my favourite reads from Rachael
Jessica
Jun 27, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Love this book so much!!!
Rebecca Dawson-ryan
another rollicking Aussie read
Debbie
Feb 26, 2016 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great romance story, easy to read, hard to put down. would read again
Judy O'Laoi
Feb 29, 2016 Judy O'Laoi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rachael-treasure
A story of family feuds, property entitlements, romance, and outback life. Fantastic read. Looking forward to reading more by Rachael Treasure.
Cate Marsden
Dec 01, 2014 Cate Marsden rated it it was amazing
This book nearly broke me at a couple of points. It was heartbreaking and sweet, and made me homesick all over again for a place I lived for less than a year.
Nancy Gideon By M...: Book 8 - River Run Deep - By Rachael Treasure 64 18 4 hours, 41 min ago
  • Bella's Run
  • The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots
  • Heart of Gold
  • Red Dust
  • Man Drought
  • North Star
  • Wattle Creek
  • Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)
  • Brumby's Run
  • Rosalee Station
  • Ryders Ridge
  • Queen of the Road
Rachael Treasure lives in southern rural Tasmania with her two young children. She is passionate about encouraging non-readers to read, inspiring farmers to consider regenerative agricultural practices and animal handlers to better understand their dogs and livestock. She is a graduate of Orange Agricultural College and has a Bachelor of Arts (Communication) from Charles Sturt University, Bathurst ...more
More about Rachael Treasure...

Jillaroo (2 books)
  • The Farmer's Wife (Jillaroo #2)