Start by marking “Lord Arthur Savile's Crime” as Want to Read:
Lord Arthur Savile's Crime

Lord Arthur Savile's Crime

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  784 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Oscar Wilde's wonderful short story Lord Arthur Savile's Crime. Enjoy this great tale today - read Lord Arthur Savile's Crime by Oscar Wilde today!
Published February 15th 1993 by Wordsworth Editions Ltd (first published January 1st 1887)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Arthur Savile's Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Arthur Savile's Crime

1984 by George OrwellThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerAnimal Farm by George OrwellBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Cult Classics
443rd out of 549 books — 665 voters
De Profundis by Oscar WildeThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeThe Decay of Lying by Oscar WildeThe Decay of Lying and Other Essays by Oscar WildeThe Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Best of Oscar Wilde
14th out of 59 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Dagny
This is only for the title story, Lord Arthur Savile's Crime.

I enjoyed this story but thought the way it ended was a bit abrupt. Probably Wilde's ending is the best, but I would have either ended it before Lord Arthur joined the two women or carried on a couple of more paragraphs after he joined them.
Sophiee
I loved this story because Lord Arthur Saville seemed so unhinged but in an incredibly logical way. Of course it is wonderfully written and laced with interesting, philosophical, Wildean quotes. I thoroughly recommend this and because it is a short story reading it does not take long.
Maria Carmo
Jul 07, 2014 Maria Carmo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Like everything written by Oscar Wilde, this is a piece of art. Yet, it did not touch me much, except by the sheer absurd of the whole main story. The short story at the end is under the same influence of a weird black sense of humour.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 7 July 2014.
arcobaleno
Un titolo che prelude a un giallo; e forse lo è, ma in maniera inaspettata…
Un omicidio; anzi, più di uno, ma nessuno è un delitto…
Un destino annunciato; ormai stabilito a priori, eppure …
Insomma… un noir che riserva molte sorprese; un racconto che sa ironizzare con misura su certi comportamenti umani; completo e geniale; e che, nonostante la brevità, merita assolutamente le quattro stelline.

(Il testo originale a fronte mi ha permesso di godere di un inglese sciolto e facilmente comprensibile: g
Femke
I enjoyed this book a lot. I personally think "The Portrait of Mr. W.H." the most intriguing (although others may have thought it dull). "Lord Arthur Savile's crime" and "The Canterville Ghost" are a delight to read. "The Sphinx Without A Secret" and "The Model Millionaire" are interesting. The latter has a slightly predictable end, but is nonetheless wonderful.
Ali
The sharp wit in these stories was the highlight. This was particularly true for the first two stories (the title story and The Canterville Ghost), but I felt they were both let down by disappointing endings. I found The Canterville Ghost especially funny for the first part (the ghost and the American family's responses to each other were very entertaining), but it seemed to lose the humour along the way in favour of melodrama. The shortest two stories, appropriately listed in the blurb with no ...more
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
That was fun.! The book has romance,mystery,horror and dark humor. What more do you need.?! To say it in Oscar Wilde's words,"if you want to tell people truth,you must make them laugh." During the first half,I was thinking whether a man can be that stupid to think that one must murder someone to make a prediction true. But protagonists of Wilde never seem normal guys. They always think a bit deviously than the normal humans. I was thinking that may be Arthur will end up killing Sybil. But the en ...more
Ali
nice story but with a dull ending
This is only for the title story, just as a heads-up.

This story is a fast little read, and while the subject matter is actually very dark when you get down to it, this is surprisingly hard to realize because of Wilde's ever-splendid and refreshing way of wording the scenario. I think that this story is kind of trying to poke fun at more serious crime and murder novels while also being somewhat serious in itself. Once again, I am highly satisfied by Wilde's marvelous work. It'd a lot like a dark
Patrícia
Opinião do blogue Chaise Longue: http://girlinchaiselongue.blogspot.pt...

Este conto foi originalmente publicado com outros em 1887, o primeiro ano daquele que é considerado o período mais intelectual do seu autor, Oscar Wilde, irlandês de nascimento, londrino de vivência, dândi e génio. Dramaturgo, escreveu contos infantis e críticos e a sua obra mais conhecida é o seu único romance, O Retrato de Dorian Gray.

Este pequeno conto onde podemos ter uma pequena amostra da beleza, do cinismo e do requi
Ana
Infelizmente ainda não foi desta que Oscar Wilde me convenceu. O problema desta vez não foram as expectativas elevadas, antes pelo contrário.

O que acontece, mais uma vez, é que não é um mau livro, mas é mediano, e de Oscar Wilde esperava a excelência. É interessante o suficiente para manter o leitor minimamente interessado, mas não traz nada de novo. Não gostei particularmente da história e menos ainda do seu desfecho.

Enfim, lê-se...mas ainda bem que é pequenino. Sinceramente, acho que não vale
Harshit Gupta
The title story is a good one, Canterville ghost really good.

Then there were Sphinx without a secret and model millionaire which were interesting. The portrait of w.h. was not for me though. Overall an interesting book with lot of Oscar Wilde in it. :)
Angie Lee
And now I know why people can't stop singing Wilde's praises. The book is a acute observation of people and their foibles and even manages to find humorous moments
Amanda Farag
Classic Wilde; loved the dark humor, witty quotes, and fast pace. The ending was a bit curt though. It made sense in the context of the story, but almost seemed too rushed.
Sheila
Listened to the Classic Tales podcast version.
Dogday
generally interesting, but the end was a letdown
Martina
Disfruto tanto las historias de Oscar Wilde.
Mgpoynter
Oscar always does it...
Haythem Bastawy
This is one of Wilde's best long stories and the level of implicit irony is as punchy as Wilde's usual explicit one.
Kain
I brought this book excited to read Lord Arthur Savile's Crime, I can say now I am greatly dissapointed in the story, the idea is wonderful but there was no surprise, the story was quite short, though for a short story a decent one. From reading this book I would say my favourite of the short stories included is The Canterville Ghost which gave me a good laugh and The Model Millionaire which gave a little twist well matched for a little story.
Planck Constant
Again a very entertaining story from Oscar Wilde.
Carolina Lange Albeche
Bored aristocracy, the occult, a charming young man and his wedding to be. He won't settle until he is ready to marry the woman he loves. There is where the crime comes in. Why? If you loved Dorian Gray you will love this short story. The endless witty remarks by the author alone make it worth reading. It reminded me of Woody Allen's Scoop. I loved it.
Sneh Pradhan
" The proper basis for marriage is a mutual misunderstanding " , " No, I am not at all cynical , I have merely got experience ,which,however,is very much the same thing " and many other such witticisms proliferate this short story , which however had a predictable ending , if one is accustomed to the Wildean turn of phrase .
Joaquim Alvarado
Novel·la curta en que destacaria sobretot el primer capítol, simplement perquè, un cop més, Wilde fa la seva habitual crítica a les classes pudents de Londres amb la seva habitual fina ironia. Amb el temps em pregunto si Wilde fou empresonat per la seva condició sexual o perquè els nobles anglesos estaven farts que se'n rigués.
Oliver
Oct 05, 2008 Oliver rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with short attention spans
Funny short stories of the "A Diamond as Big as the Ritz" type. Good tube reading, though I'd skip The Portrait of WH which isn't so much a yarn as Wilde's interpretation of Shakespeare's Sonnets. Unsurprisingly, he's is the camp camp - get it!
Moira McPartlin
Pure Oscar Wilde. I couldn't put this little book of short stories down. My favorite was The Canterville Ghost about an American family who move into a haunted English country home and terrorize the 300 year old resident ghost. Such fun!
Oscar Wilde's black comedy satirizing the morals of the upper classes, as Lord Savile tries to fulfill a murderous prophecy.

Free download at Gutenberg Project
Lord Beardsley
Mar 13, 2008 Lord Beardsley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fops
Recommended to Lord by: V & H
Shelves: read2008
As always, Mr. Wilde was vastly entertaining, full of perfect quotes and quips aplenty! It was really fun reading The Canterville Ghost, which I hadn't read since I was thirteen. Good times in Dandy Land.
Meghan Sullivan
All short stories in this volume were clever, witty, clean, and academic. They also all had an annoyingly sentimental conclusion, which is why I didn't rate it higher.
  • پرتره
  • Lost Boy: A Novella
  • Mama, I Love You
  • The Ugly Duchess
  • Плаха
  • Where I Lived, and What I Lived For
  • Audience (Acting Edition)
  • Markéta Lazarová
  • The Oblong Box
  • The History of Pendennis: His Fortunes & Misfortunes, His Friends & His Greatest Enemy
  • Labyrint světa a ráj srdce
  • Hunted Down
  • Talks With T. G. Masaryk
  • Mr. Theodore Mundstock
  • The Rape of Lucrece
  • Záhada hlavolamu (Stínadelská trilogie, #1)
  • The Arrangement
  • Mario and the Magician
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   An Ideal Husband The Canterville Ghost