Start by marking “Lord Arthur Savile's Crime” as Want to Read:
Lord Arthur Savile's Crime

Lord Arthur Savile's Crime

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,432 ratings  ·  101 reviews
It was Lady Windermere's last reception before Easter, and Bentinck House was even more crowded than usual. Six Cabinet Ministers had come on from the Speaker's Levee in their stars and ribands, all the pretty women wore their smartest dresses, and at the end of the picture-gallery stood the Princess Sophia of Carlsruhe, a heavy Tartar-looking lady, with tiny black eyes an ...more
Published February 15th 1993 by Wordsworth Editions Ltd (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Arthur Savile's Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Arthur Savile's Crime

I really, really enjoyed this one! This was an absolutely hilarious parody of the Gothic genre in true Oscar Wilde fashion. Highly recommend this for a short and funny introduction into Wilde's writing.
Fantástico! Com estes quatro contos fiquei ainda mais deslumbrado com o talento de Oscar Wilde em aliar o humor ao perturbador.

I started collecting Penguin's Little Black Classics, and my random reading pilot drew this booklet.

I was never really crazy about The Picture of Dorian Grey. I read it and it wasn't bad but not as good as I expected it would be (based on raving reviews by friends). However, I was quite curious to this little story I hadn't heard about and since it's very short it can be easily read in a single sitting.

And actually I really like it. It
Saoirse Sterling
Oscar Wilde is one of the few writers whose short stories I can tolerate. He had his obvious wit and his subtle humour to go along with characters that are both expressly Victorian and curiously of the new age. Intriguing tale of fortune telling that gives both pleasure and something indeed to think upon.
Katy Noyes
A short story by the inimitable Wilde, and every page oozes him. You'd know his style instantly - his wit shines through.

Lord Arthur, along with all of London society, is rather taken with the palm reader who tells fortunes at an event. Unfortunately, his fortune isn't too positive - he learns he will murder someone.

Unlike most sane people though, Lord Arthur decides to get on with it, choose a victim, murder them and then get back to his fiancee. But in increasingly farcical scenarios, his int
Presented in a lovely little black book, this is one of Oscar Wilde's less well-known short stories. Lord Arthur is attending a social event where a palm reader is present. He decides to have his palm read and is shocked to learn he is going to commit a murder. Not wishing to cause any problems to his future wife, he decides he best get it over with and starts planning to kill.

It's a dark sounding plot but really this is a comedy. Lord Arthur is clearly not the sharpest tool in the box if he ha
I have only read Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray but just reading that one work of his, I knew that I would enjoy pretty much anything he ever wrote so here I am with Lord Arthur Savile's Crime.

We meet Lord Arthur at a party of Lady Windemere's where he meets a cheiromantist, who reads his palm. This is where Arthur discovers the awful crime is going to commit in the future and the story evolves from there on. Arthur seeks to find a way of preventing this dreadful crime, but is it a matter of fat
The logic of Lord Savile... LOL
This is only for the title story, Lord Arthur Savile's Crime.

I enjoyed this story but thought the way it ended was a bit abrupt. Probably Wilde's ending is the best, but I would have either ended it before Lord Arthur joined the two women or carried on a couple of more paragraphs after he joined them.
I loved this story because Lord Arthur Saville seemed so unhinged but in an incredibly logical way. Of course it is wonderfully written and laced with interesting, philosophical, Wildean quotes. I thoroughly recommend this and because it is a short story reading it does not take long.
Maria Carmo
Jul 07, 2014 Maria Carmo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Like everything written by Oscar Wilde, this is a piece of art. Yet, it did not touch me much, except by the sheer absurd of the whole main story. The short story at the end is under the same influence of a weird black sense of humour.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 7 July 2014.
The story was cool, but what I really loved was the language/writing style! It was the first time reading Wilde in English and I will never read a translation again. Perfect!
Un titolo che prelude a un giallo; e forse lo è, ma in maniera inaspettata…
Un omicidio; anzi, più di uno, ma nessuno è un delitto…
Un destino annunciato; ormai stabilito a priori, eppure …
Insomma… un noir che riserva molte sorprese; un racconto che sa ironizzare con misura su certi comportamenti umani; completo e geniale; e che, nonostante la brevità, merita assolutamente le quattro stelline.

(Il testo originale a fronte mi ha permesso di godere di un inglese sciolto e facilmente comprensibile: g
Barbara Valotto
Un insolito giallo che si legge in un battibaleno! Ironico, più profondo di quello che può apparire ad una veloce lettura, degno di un autore che si chiama Oscar Wilde!
studying for my history exam atm which is all to do with class society and the industrial revolution which is kind of the era this story is set? okay, i looked it up, it was written in 1891 which is after the industrial revolution but it still had that feel to it. also oscar wilde came up in my lectures anyway. what i'm trying to say is that i'm pretending i'm studying by reading this.

i did really enjoy it. it was an interesting look at fortune telling and how ultimately you make your own fortu
Örjan Pelle
Aside from being an extremely enjoyable dark comedy. The topic that Wilde is able to address in such a short story that has such a quick pace is magnifying. It might sound that I am overthinking what is a funny tale, and maybe I am; but for me the philosophical topics of free will versus determinism and the worth of love is really significant in this book. In a way Oscar Wilde is the absolute opposite of Leo Tolstoy, who is usually associated with his extremely lengthy and serious books that exp ...more
Shekhar Ruparelia
What I’d expected to be a dark tale about one man’s psychological struggle to come to grips with a prediction that he was soon going to commit a murder turned out to be a witty tale; a tongue-in-cheek look at upper class London society with a fun, surprising end.

(A slightly longer and more personal review of this book appears on my blog: https://adventuresofatraveller.wordpr... Please do have a look at that too. Thanks!)
I enjoyed this book a lot. I personally think "The Portrait of Mr. W.H." the most intriguing (although others may have thought it dull). "Lord Arthur Savile's crime" and "The Canterville Ghost" are a delight to read. "The Sphinx Without A Secret" and "The Model Millionaire" are interesting. The latter has a slightly predictable end, but is nonetheless wonderful.
This short story was my first introduction to Wilde, and I really enjoyed! His writing was wonderful, the themes interesting and thought-provoking, and overall I really liked the plot! That little twist at the end was great! I give this short story a 4/5 stars!
Started and finished this in half an hour. I'm ashamed to say that I've never gotten round to reading any Wilde before and I really need to sort this out. Loved it.
As always Wilde uses his words with grace. This wonderful short novel about fortune-telling and destiny was funny and full of irony. Great light read!
The plot is dark but in actual fact it is witty and full of irony throughout. A brilliant quick read!
Arwen (Akke)
why is the picture of Dorian Gray not on my tbr-shelf?
I read it on kindle during a trip. The story ended suddenly on the screen because a new title showed up. Thought it was a typesetting failure. I didn't believe the end was the end! How could it be the end...Electronic books are really confusing since you can't feel the thickness of the remaining pages and can't tell that the end is coming up! However, I actually could imagine a little that it might just be the end. It's not that unreasonable if you feel the words. Then after trip, back home, I c ...more
I was given the Penguin Little Black Classics version of this short story and really ended up enjoying it. Wilde's descriptions are very beautiful and he had a talent at dropping philosophical lines into his writing without them seeming out of place.

I was also pretty impressed by the number of turns and surprises that this story managed to fit into 40 pages. I had no idea what to expect when I started it, and the trend continued till I hit the end. Overall it had a very charming style, and was v
nice story but with a dull ending
Read full review at:

This is a funny, but also a quite dark short story. Lord Arthur Savile has his fortune told at a social gathering. The palm reader informs him that in his future he will murder someone. But Lord Arthur is due to get married and in order to save his wife-to-be from the future distress, he starts planning a murder right away.

Oscar Wilde can write a comedy like no-one else. I first observed this in The Importance of Being Earnest, then in
The story is about Lord Arthur Savile, he is at a party and meets a cheiromantist, who reads his palm. It is here Lord Arthur discovers the awful crime he is apparently to commit in his future. And the story goes from there. I loved this little novel and the way that it shows how strong a thought being put in your head can affect a person and their actions.

I loved this book!! I knew I would because...Oscar Wilde. I read the picture of Dorian Gray last year and it is one the best things I've rea
This is only for the title story, just as a heads-up.

This story is a fast little read, and while the subject matter is actually very dark when you get down to it, this is surprisingly hard to realize because of Wilde's ever-splendid and refreshing way of wording the scenario. I think that this story is kind of trying to poke fun at more serious crime and murder novels while also being somewhat serious in itself. Once again, I am highly satisfied by Wilde's marvelous work. It'd a lot like a dark
  • The Old Nurse's Story
  • Jason and Medea
  • The Beautifull Cassandra
  • Caligula
  • پرتره
  • The Eve of St Agnes
  • Olalla
  • The Old Man of the Moon (Little Black Classics, #60)
  • The Night is Darkening Round Me (Little Black Classics, #63)
  • The Great Fire of London (Little Black Classics, #47)
  • A Pair of Silk Stockings (Little Black Classics, #66)
  • It was snowing butterflies
  • Lost Boy: A Novella
  • Circles of Hell (Little Black Classics, #25)
  • Aphorisms on Love and Hate
  • A Slip under the Microscope (Little Black Classics, #77)
  • Markéta Lazarová
  • The Figure in the Carpet
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...