Start by marking “Out of This World: Poems and Facts about Space” as Want to Read:
Out of This World: Poems and Facts about Space

Out of This World: Poems and Facts about Space

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Amy Sklansky and Stacey Schuett give young explorers the moon and stars and beyond!

The mysteries of the universe and the science of space exploration are perennialy popular subjects, and Out of This World is a wonderful introduction. Amy Sklansky has written evocative poems about planets and stars and rockets and moon landings and satellites. Each poem is supported by add
Published February 14th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Out of This World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of This World

Heidi Garner
On every page of this book there is a creative poem about space as well as accompanying descriptive facts about space. The facts and poems talk about corresponding topics such as the poem Blast Off is about how long it takes to get to space. This book has a lot of great illustrations as well. This book includes a variety of different types of poems; some short, some long, some rhyming, some not.
This book would be a great resource for talking about many facts about space. This book is also a grea
Amy Lemley
I have always been fascinated by space, but this book combined my hunger for space facts with beautiful and crafty poetry. Each poem was introduced with facts about space and research that inspired the book, and then a poem with powerful visual design/illustration followed. I loved reading this book and want to purchase a copy for my home library! I also think it would be fun to have students use this format to represent research projects and their topics for research by complementing their most ...more
Megan Tollefson
2012 - Poetry - This is a fascinating book, teaching readers about space through poems. The poems are combined with different facts about space. "Out of This World" would be a great tool in the classroom to make learning about space a rhythmic journey, bound to catch the attention of all readers or listeners!
Ann Haefele
An amazing picture book that combines poetry and facts about space. A poem about blastoff is accompanied by facts on how long it takes to travel to space. A poem about packing for a trip to the moon has an opposing page with several paragraphs on the personal items that Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins packed for their trip. Each astronaut was allowed a 2 x 4 x 8 inch bag of personal items. Neil Armstrong packed a propeller fragment from the first successful Wright brother flight ...more
This is a fantastic book of creative poems and insightful descriptions about outer space. My background is in teaching physics and I usually am dissatisfied with science information in children's books, but this one really impressed me. As a person of many interests, I appreciate the author bridging the arts-science gap by using poetry to teach science. I'm such a fan! If I were still teaching, I'd buy this for my classroom.
Victoria Whipple
I love a book that combines poetry and facts like this. The poems language and playfulness appeal to children, then the accompanying facts pull them in. Sklansky put together a collection of poems about space, from what to pack for a trip to space, to take off, the moon, stars, sun and beyond. With each poem there is a sidebar with facts about the topic of the poem. Poems range from Haiku to concrete to free verse and are illustrated with digital images and gouache pictures that fill the pages. ...more
Teri
Great poems about space. We learned a ton!
Kendall
Love, love, love these poems about space intertwined with facts. (I love George's Secret Key to the Universe, too....nothing like teaching us literary types how to deal with daunting topics like space.) Kids love this one, too...it does a great job...and the poems are fun to read and make a great addition to a poetry collection. Other than Seymour Simon's Star Walk, there aren't many books that combine verse with space. An excellent addition to a library collection!
Peggy Archer
A wonderful collection of poems about space and facts along the side of the pages to go along with the poems. I enjoyed the different poetic forms and the interesting facts about space and space travel. An interview with children's author and poet, Amy Sklansky, can be found on my blogsite at http://www.peggyarcher.com/blog.htm on Wednesday, April 10, 2013.
Angie
This book contains poems about space with companion section explaining a different area of space. A poem about constellations is accompanied by an explanation of constellations for instance. There are poems about meteors, planets, comets, spacesuits, gravity and so much more. I enjoyed the poems but I really enjoyed the accompanying material more.
Heidi
Some poems I liked, and some didn't quite click with me. Fairly typical with me and poetry. I did like reading the different facts about space and objects within. I think kids will find this interesting among the Beehive nominees, but I don't think it will get as many votes as the funnier poems.
Christine
Art meets science in this fun poetry book about everything in space. The poems are simple yet informative and the extra informational sidebar doesn't get boring. A great choice for the 2013 Beehive Nominee in poetry (but also informational).
Amy Carr
Amazing marriage of non-fiction and poetry! I thought some of the poetry was a little "cheesy" but I loved the mix of poems and factual information about space! Very well-done!
Shelli
Children and adults alike who love facts about our universe will LOVE this book. Very informative and exciting. Star gazing is now on the "to-do" list for this summer.
This book combines art and science. The captivating pictures combined with the poems and the detailed facts about space serve as a great hook in the days lessons.
Bethe
Another poetry and non-fiction combo. The selection of poems represent a nice variety of styles. No mention of Pluto and the dark illustrations cost the book one star.
Kris
This is cross-training for your brain, both sides all lit up by the poems and facts about space. This is how we integrate science, reading, and writing.
Esther May
If you are interested in space and poems this is a great book to read. I liked that it had tons of different kinds of poems.
Emily
Great for students who study the solar system. Poetry + facts. (My third graders would eat this up.)
Mariah Christensen
I learned a few fun facts from this book. I didn't enjoy the poems very much.
Lisa
Great book of poetry about space paired with facts! The boys loved this.
Wendy Garland
Loved this combination of poetry and facts about space.
Edward Sullivan
Good mix of basic information and verse.
Sherry

(2013) Booklegger, grades 2-4
J520 Slansky
Lori
Great! Facts and poetry in one.
Victoria Ipanga
Victoria Ipanga marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Julie O'neill
Julie O'neill marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Sarah added it
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
You Are My Little Pumpkin Pie My Daddy And Me You Are My Little Cupcake Skeleton Bones and Goblin Groans: Poems for Halloween Where Do Chicks Come From?