Start by marking “The President's Plane Is Missing” as Want to Read:
The President's Plane Is Missing

The President's Plane Is Missing

Mystery
Published by Hodder & Stoughton Publishers (first published June 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The President's Plane Is Missing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The President's Plane Is Missing

Kristen
Sep 23, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it
I didn't know Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling had a brother who wrote such amazing fiction. Serling knows all about aviation from his time as an aviation writer and he expertly blends political thriller with conspiracy making a book worthy of its own Twilight Zone episode. The different characters that all have their theory about whether the President is alive or dead are all fully fleshed out and melded perfectly. The Vice President, Madigan, driven into an ego maniacal rage from his wife is ...more
Tina
May 31, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the very first thrillers I ever read, and maybe that's why it's remained one of my all time favorite books. I remember being caught up in the story of a clueless and ill-equipped vice president thrust into the unimaginable position of trying to run the country in the midst of an unstable political climate while at the same time trying to come to grips with the fact that the president's plane has inexplicably vanished.
Harish
Sep 14, 2012 Harish rated it it was amazing
I have to thank my uncle who gave me an old copy to read, knowing my penchant for such book.s Boy, wasn't I hooked! A simple plot yet told in a gripping manner with POV of various characters involved in it, the thoughts and emotions they undergo when the fateful news hits them and the climax.... stunning! Must in every one's shelf.

President Jeremy Haines is a character you will remember for a long time to come.
Scott Rhee
Jul 19, 2012 Scott Rhee rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
For a fifty-year-old book, Robert Serling's "The President's Plane is Missing" was a pretty good thriller. It's obviously very dated, which is unavoidable given the setting, Cold War-era America. It may be a bit outdated and politically incorrect in its racial/sexual stereotypes (black people are consistently referred to as "negros" and are cooks or chauffeurs, and the women are either secretaries or housewives). Serling's treatment of Washington politics is also a bit outdated. (It's rather fun ...more
Dreepa
Jun 16, 2014 Dreepa rated it liked it
A super quick read.
I think I have seen the movie in the past.
A reporter is trying to uncover the facts of why the president's plane is missing.

A feeble VP is in charge.

Some plot 'twists'... seems naive compared to some of today's books.

Also some cold war stuff in here that of course is dated.

Couldn't decide on what book to read... so read this as it was short.
Alise
Dec 15, 2014 Alise rated it really liked it
I liked this book. 4 stars is a little high but I felt it deserved 4 more than 3. This book is written in a time where thrillers were still a pretty new genre, and it's not as fast paced as a thriller today. But it was written well and was pretty suspenseful once it got going, and I thought I knew the ending a couple times but I was wrong.
John
Apr 29, 2015 John rated it really liked it
2010 grade B (second read)

Not SciFi
Don Gubler
Pretty good suspense.
Susan
Apr 20, 2016 Susan added it
Enough facts to make it more interesting; enough mystery to keep me reading!
Kayleen
Apr 14, 2008 Kayleen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pilots, DC junkies, pulp-fiction fans
This book was a good little story told with carictures of the players invovled. I blame the era it was written for some of the cheesy stereotypes. But that said, as an aviator formerly of Andrews, I enjoyed reading someone else's version of those operations. It read a bit like pulp fiction, but if you like that style, this is a fun, quick read.
Kelly
Jun 21, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frankly I think I was judging Rob Serling by the standards of his brother and expecting more of an ending, but the characters were well drawn. Write what you know, they say, and he sure did.
Jay O
Jun 12, 2011 Jay O rated it did not like it
This book was published in 1967. It was on the New York Times best seller list for 30 weeks (according to the cover). It was boring at times and the ending just didn't have the snap it should have.
Claudia
Jul 15, 2011 Claudia rated it liked it
First book I put on my "Big Bear Reading List" started in Jan. 1986. Started writing down every book I read.
Graham Butcher
Graham Butcher marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Nathalie
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Sandra Joslyn
Sandra Joslyn marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Asueni
Asueni marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Laura Furuta
Laura Furuta marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Jeff Crosby
Jeff Crosby rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Topher
Topher added it
Jul 10, 2016
Steve Morus
Steve Morus rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Rafael Lopez
Rafael Lopez marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Jerrie
Jerrie rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Ed Boyle
Ed Boyle rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Yvette
Yvette marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Tom Burridge
Tom Burridge marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016