Oh No! Not Again!: (Or How I Built a Time Machine to Save History) (Or at Least My History Grade)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Some kids are too smart for their own good...and maybe for everybody else's good. The overly ambitious little girl from Oh No! is back for more. But this time, she doesn't have a humongous problem, she has an EPIC crisis on her hands: a mere A on her history test! There's only one solution: travel back in time to 33,000 B.C. to make her wrong answer right! Mac Barnett and...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Disney-Hyperion

Boy and Bot by Ame DyckmanDoug Unplugged by Dan YaccarinoMr. Wuffles! by David WiesnerEarthlets by Jeanne WillisJune 29, 1999 by David Wiesner
SF Picture Books
8th out of 41 books — 16 voters
Boy and Bot by Ame DyckmanMr. Wuffles! by David WiesnerDoug Unplugged by Dan YaccarinoClink by Kelly DiPucchioOh No! by Mac Barnett
Science Fiction Picture Books
6th out of 108 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Peter Heinrich
Great illustrations. The sight gags are clever but completely above the intended audience. Normally, I would appreciate this "multi-level humor" and the effort that went into providing a little something extra for the parent, but in this case there's nothing for the kids. Ok, there are some cavemen dressed up sorta funny, but not so funny that a 6-year-old is entertained by the pure joyous silliness of it. If he isn't, that just leaves the subtle irony of a caveman too dim to use a paintbrush so...more
MsRosas
The illustrations were pretty rad, but the writing was just so so. (Please know that it kills me to say anything negative about my crush Mac Barnett. Kills me.)
Amy
Well... I checked this book out for my niece, but I did so without reading it first. She loved Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World, so I checked out this book based on the high "like" factor of the previous book. I kind of wish I had looked this one over first.

It's not a bad book. The art is fun (I guess), but at the same time, the pictures are inconsistent. Sometimes they are vivid, and eye-popping, and other times they're muddy, washed out, or almost blurry. They don't hold t...more
Tasha
The sequel to Oh No! (Or How My Science Report Destroyed the World) takes on history class. The female protagonist messes up her perfect score on a history test by missing the first question: In what modern country do we find the oldest prehistoric cave paintings? So she figures out a simple answer to getting a perfect score: she builds a time machine to change history so that her answer of Belgium is correct. When she finally reaches the right point in history, she is faced with two Neanderthal...more
Lizzie
Great art, two great historical fiction like infographics that are cool. Most of the humor could easily go over kids heads. Would be more interesting animation than a picture book. My favorite part was the creative author's bio, which could be used to talk about author's bios.
Cory
Busy, muddled, confusing. It's saving grace is having a girl mad scientist.
Sarah W
In Oh No! Mac Barnett and Dan Santat brought to life the day when a girl's science fair project rampages her home city. In Oh No!Not Again!, the girl's mechanical inclinations once more go awry when she tries to correct a less than perfect grade. Her latest project is a time machine that she takes for a spin to change history so her test answers will now be correct. The mission: to have the world's oldest cave paintings exist in Belgium. The problem is that the people the girl wants to do the pa...more
Jessica
Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World is one of my favorite picture books for slightly older kids because it captures their attention SO well--it's great for booktalks and school class visits. Author Mac Barnett and illustrator Dan Santat are two of my favorites as well, and I always look forward to new releases of their books. So I was a little disappointed in Oh No! Not Again!: (Or How I Built a Time Machine to save History), because it didn't have the wow factor that its prede...more
Dolly
Sep 09, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I discovered this book because it was nominated for the August 2012 - Traveling reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads. It didn't win, but I just had to borrow it from our local library and read it with our girls.

We had to read the first book, Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World, first to get the context for this book. But both follow a similar format and offer a strange, but humorous tale.

I liked this second tale even more. The misappl...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week.

I'm pretty sure my son didn't get all the sight gags, but I did, and they were way fun. And the artwork was way fantastic. This book teaches a (very) little about history, but a good deal on why it is bad to rewrite it. Perfect for a kid with a blue police call box in his room.

Rachel
I really enjoyed the first book, where our main character builds a killer robot for her science fair project and the illustrator made the background seem like a Godzilla movie, complete with Japanese signs. In this book, our heroine, has just gotten an A on a history test (not an A+ horror of horrors!), after missing one question about prehistoric cave paintings. So she decides to build a time machine, illustrated and explained on the end pages of the book, to change it so she can ace the test....more
This was lot of fun and very silly. The fake science was cool to examine - I particularly like the subway style map at the back showing how history has been derailed. It's a little weird to be talking about continuity in a picture book series, but I think it would have been helpful to read the first one before trying this one. You don't know much about the character before chaos ensues - a lot of things are implied. I do like how Santat's illustrations (done in Adobe Photoshop) are constructed t...more
In this follow-up to Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World, our hero travels back in time to improve her history test grade. She travels to pre-historic Belgium and tries to convince some cave guys to create the first cave paintings. She ends up doing the artwork herself while the cave men run amok with with her time machine. Once she travels back to her history test, she gets the first question correct but her new test grade is an F.

I love the humor and that the hero is a girl....more
Samantha
Bothered by the A- on her history test, a girl invents a time machine to alter history, thereby earning an A on her test. She meets two cavemen and has a hard time explaining that she would like them to produce cave paintings so she resolves to do the work herself. When her back is turned, the cavemen take an interest in the time machine and history is forever changed. Needless to say, she doesn’t pass her test.

Digital illustrations are incredibly detailed and invite multiple readings and give r...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Barnett, Mac, and Dan Santat. Oh No! Not Again!: (or How I Built a Time Machine to save History) (or at Least My History Grade). New York: Disney-Hyperion, 2012. Print.

Oh No! Not Again! was a very creative time travel picture book. The premise is that a little girl is upset that she got a question wrong on a history test. She decides to go back in time to make her answer correct. But time is a strange thing and things get worse. Mac Barnett has written the Brixton Brothers series, a parody of Th...more
Ariel Cummins
When you miss a question on the history test, there's only one thing to do, right? That's right, you build a time machine to make sure your answer was right! Of course, hijinx must ensue. It's part and parcel with using a time machine, methinks.

The large, bright illustrations betray Dan Santat's history as an animator and his love of animation, as they have the appealing looks of a well-done Saturday morning cartoon.

Despite the pretty intricate plot, the story is told with relatively little text...more
Richard
A bill and ted picture book companion...
Lindsey
Great series. Simple, fun storytelling.
Marika
Mac Barnett and Dan Santat are back with a fun sequel to Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World. When our brilliant protagonist gets one question wrong on her history text, she does what any ambitious student would- she builds a time machine to make her answer the correct one. But one should never leave a parked time machine unattended, and soon all history breaks loose. Combining action-packed sequences with historical cameos, Oh No! Not Again is a rip-roaring adventure for the p...more
Brianna Boyce
This book is a great way to interest students who aren't interested in reading. It involves time machines, aliens, and cave men.
Clarissa
This is cute although I think I liked the first one slightly better.

A girl gets a question wrong on her history test, and in order to fix her grade builds a time machine to go back in time and change history in order to make her answer correct. Unfortunately some stone age cave men get hold of her time machine and change a lot of things in history...

This is a funny book, with a lot of jokes in the art and the end papers.
Brenda Kahn
The scientific genius from Oh No! (Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World) is back moaning over a A in history. She got one wrong so she decides to make a time machine, go back in history and change it so that the oldest prehistoric cave paintings were found in Belgium. Unbeknownst to her a couple of cavemen take her time machine for a joy ride. While not totally madcap as its predecessor, it's a fun jaunt.
Jodie
Sequel to Oh, No! (or how my science project destroyed the world). The first book does not need to be read to enjoy book number 2. Our character has just taken a test and got 1 wrong. She wants to fix history so she has it right. She builds a time machine and goes back to "fix things" so her question she got wrong will be right. Clever illustrations and text is her thoughts. There is humor to the story.
Bruce
Frustrated by a less than perfect score on her history test, a young overachiever builds a time machine to go back and change history so that her answer is correct. The results are not what she anticipates.

It’s a vivid and very funny time travel tale that can be shared with the youngest audience or reader, and comes complete with time machine diagram and a “Time Transit Services” map.
Cathy Blackler
A clever story about the danger of self-absorption. In an effort to improve a test score, our protagonist decides to travel back in time to rewrite history. As expected, chaos ensues. Students who love science and mechanics will devour time machine specs. Would be good to use for inferencing and predicting, as well as to rewrite ending. Santat's illustrations are fun and engaging.
Adam Clavey
In this fantasy adventure the character goes back in time because she got a bad grade on her history test. She believes that if she changes history, she will be able to get a better grade. In the end her plan does not end up working out the way she expected it to. This book has themes of responsibility and consequences. Students between second and fourth grade would enjoy this book.
Paul
Very energetic and amusing illustrations, as well as an amusing turn of events as the young girl attempts to use her time machine to change history. Appreciation of the story may depend on a young reader having a sophisticated enough sense of time to follow the time loop and mangled history. Look for the rewritten history about the 16th president at the end of the book.
Kellee
Another great sci fi, humor picture book from Barnett and Santat. I wish these were graphic novels because I want more!
Now, personally I liked the first he better than this knew; however, I think this one would actually be more fun to read with students (and it has some great connection and text feature opportunities).
Hope there'll be a 3rd one!
Sam
A great follow-up to the first Oh No book. The second page made Dad laugh every time he read it.
Holly
My students really enjoyed this funny book about a girl who builds a time machine (have fun identifying the ordinary household objects she uses) to go back in time to change history so the question she got wrong on the history test would be right. Trouble starts with the cavemen she's visiting decide to do a little time-traveling themselves.
  • Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show
  • How to Babysit a Grandpa
  • Big Mean Mike
  • Wild About You!
  • Zoe Gets Ready
Born to non-farmers in a California farming community, Mac now lives near San Francisco. He's on the board of directors of 826LA, a nonprofit writing center for students in Los Angeles, and he founded the Echo Park Time Travel Mart, a convenience store for time travelers.
More about Mac Barnett...
Extra Yarn Chloe and the Lion The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1) Count the Monkeys Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World