Start by marking “Holy Bible: Archaeological Study Bible-NIV-Personal Size: An Illustrated Walk Through Biblical History and Culture” as Want to Read:

4.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  681 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
"Readers who desire a more intimate knowledge of the historical context of the Bible will appreciate the NIV Archaeological Study Bible. Full of informative articles and full-color photographs of places and objects from biblical times, this Bible examines the archaeological record surrounding God's Word and brings the biblical world to life. Readers' personal studies will ...more
Published August 8th 2007 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published July 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Greg
I don't have anything against this book, but it gets one star because some fucking Larry the Cable Guy lookalike and his bovine looking wife gave Karen and I both way too much shit yesterday because their fat asses were blocking shelves while they each leafed through this book. Like good Christians when asked politely to please sit so they weren't in the way, I was told that he'll sit wherever he pleases, and that since is going to buy something he can do whatever he pleases. Fuck him, fuck his ...more
Margaret
Apr 01, 2012 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, bibles, zondervan
It's almost hard for me to believe that I bought two of these Bibles back in the day when the first came out. One for myself and a second one for my sister-in-law with the Bachelor of Science in Anthropology. SisterA and my brother were married when I was about 14 years old and I always remember her excitement whenever she went "on a dig". Then eight years later, I heard about this Bible and I knew it was the perfect gift for her. Now four years later, this Bible is still selling strong and ther ...more
Kaara
Jan 25, 2009 Kaara marked it as on-the-back-burner  ·  review of another edition
I've never read the Bible--none of the New Testament, and in Sunday school I only learned stories of the Torah without any real first-hand reading of it. So a year or so ago I decided once and for all to buy the thing and read it.

Have you ever tried to buy a Bible? Which version to choose, which version to choose. I've always been fascinated by the archeological and historical basis of the Bible, and I was a lot more comfortable buying and reading the Bible with an intellectualizing rationale i
Chandra
Jun 10, 2010 Chandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is my first study bible ever and i am loving it. i looked at a bunch of different ones in the store and this seemed to be a style i really liked. lots of info, history, facts, maps. it is so chock full of information, you don't get very far very fast! but it pulls in all the most recent archaeological info related to whatever you're reading. it's extremely interesting and i think gives a much broader and deeper understanding of what you're reading.

the one thing i don't like so far is the d
Heather
May 05, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although from my limited research, I would lean toward the ESV Bible, this is an incredible work. I had the opportunity to study archaeology in Israel under Todd Bolen, and many of his pictures are included in this edition. (for more of his work: www.bibleplaces.com) This book includes a variety of articles highlighting significant archeaological finds, debates, and culturally appropriate annotations. It has cast a lot of light on many Biblical texts for me in my own personal study, especially i ...more
Glory
Dec 29, 2014 Glory rated it it was amazing
I love Biblical archaeology and I love seeing how the events in the Bible actually took place in real time and space. The little historical previews here in this study Bible are a great introduction to the world of historical Biblical reality. I've read through the Bible multiple times now, but the new information in this edition makes me excited to read it once more.
David S. T.
--Edit 2015--
I first read this while still an Evangelical Christian and I found the commentary helpful (it probably helped keep me as one longer). Since that time my views have changed and I dislike the commentary. For example in Genesis evolution is immediately discussed, the commentary tells us that the bible allows for variations in "kinds" of animals but the bible doesn't allow for a species to evolve into a different one. I'm not too sure why this is mentioned here, but it quickly shows the
Darlene
Sep 06, 2013 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This bible is a delightful resource as I study God's Word. I find it useful, not only with the maps and footnotes but the pictures and historical details have furthered my knowledge of the times and culture of Biblical history as I read immensely. I read this every day and the binding of the book itself is standing up nicely to usage. The pages are not overly heavy but they are strong. The book itself weighs 5 lbs. I know as I had to weigh it prior to a recent surgery to see if I could carry it, ...more
Julie
Sep 16, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is an awesome Bible!!! If you are into archaeology like me, then this Bible is for you. it has lots of side stories about recent archaeological finds that coincide with stories in the Bible. Really informative and neat to have a glimpse of life back then.
Keith May
Jul 29, 2008 Keith May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I try to read from this daily. Not only does it have all the scriptures, it has all sorts of great historical notes from the beginning of time to through the life of the apostles.
Mike
Aug 20, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a fair amount of skepticism for the barrage of specialized bibles that have been coming out lately. The apologetics bible, the reformation bible, and on and on. I thought we had enough of this crap already, the couple's devotional bible, the teen study bible, the soldier's bible, the chicken soup for the bible's soul edition, or whatever. Then I saw this new addition to a long list specialized bibles in my church library and checked it out. I have got to say I am pretty impressed.

I hones
Ebookwormy
I just received this Bible for Mother's Day. My goal is to read the entire Bible, commentary, articles and text. I will now read this side-by-side with the African Bible Commentary. After I finish the African Bible Commentary, I will continue in this Bible to cover the entire work.

The commentary and articles are EXCELLENT. I am thoroughly enjoying the insights into ancient culture, geography and history.

I'm disappointed in the maps in the back, I was expecting a lot more in that regard. They a
Heather's Mum
Sep 10, 2007 Heather's Mum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: biblical
This Bible is absolutely the most exciting study version I've ever seen! Not only is the NIV translation accurate, but easy to read and comprehend.

The archaeological articles envelope and take one back to the moment of scripture origin. Notes on the original Greek, Hebrew (& rare Arabic) script help one fully understand the full impact and intention of the text.

This Bible also includes invaluable sections such as Bible Book introductions including information about the author, cultural &
Jenna Leigh
May 06, 2013 Jenna Leigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I bought my Bible several years ago. I had mentioned to a friend that I was gonna get a study Bible, and she, knowing how much I loved history and archaeology, recommended that I check this one out. I did, and am so happy that I got it. It has so many insights into the background of the the Bible stories, and it's got study notes as well. My Bible also has a really nice leather cover that I was able to get my name embossed into, although I think (and I could be wrong about this) that there is a ...more
Katherine Johnston
A very informative study Bible, beautifully illustrated with cultural and historical notes, which helped to set the historical context of the scriptures. Highly recommend!
Ethan
Nov 10, 2015 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The text of the New International Version with many articles and explanations of history, archaeology, geography, etc.

The NIV text is thought-for-thought and generally makes defensible interpretive decisions. Genesis 8:21 comes out of nowhere with its original sin/total depravity focus that is not warranted from the text; "sinful nature" for sarx, the flesh, in the NT, is also a bit jaundiced.

I greatly appreciated the many articles; they do a very good job of teaching about what is known about
Kristina
Apr 14, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Chock full of cultural and historical notes, gorgeous photography, maps and tables, this bible is an excellent way to gain understanding of scripture that may otherwise entirely escape one's notice. It also adds insight to common misperceptions about many scriptures. One way this is done is put put things in perspective and remind the reader not to measure actions against today's standards, but the standards of the time it was written. Weights, measurements, monetary values are all explained in ...more
Marti Martinson
5 stars for the production value of this book. The Audience, Timeline, and Outline sections for each book were helpful. The historical notes & photos did TRY to be objective. 2 stars because I know the NIV COMPLETELY changed the intent of at least 2 passages.

Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Chronicles: not much spoke to me. Amos, Hosea, and Micah were pretty rockin'. And, with help from Bart Ehrman's DVDs, the NT gospels are appreciated, muchly and greatly. The Epistles, hit or miss. Paul seem
Kellie
Mar 07, 2014 Kellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Great cross references, Illustrations, insight to culture and study guides in addition to the obvious archaeological information. The chapter introductions contain information such as Author, Place of writing, Date of writing, Audience, Cultural facts, Timeline, and more.I use it as a companion to my Women's Devotional Bible on a regular basis.
Greg Dill
Sep 19, 2015 Greg Dill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the student of Christian apologetics this is a great study Bible to have in his/her arsenal. Almost every book, chapter, and passage in the Bible has some sort of archaeological discovery related to it... once again proving both the historicity and veracity of the Holy writ of God's Word.
Cassandra
8/20/12 - I chose the NIV for this session of Bible in 90 Days. I'm not reading it for the archaeological insights in the sidebars but because it's the only NIV I own. The program is very fast-paced so I'm not sure I'll have time to read any of the archaeological information!

10/25/12 - Today I finished the Old Testament! I was correct in that I haven't had much time to read the archaeological insights. I've read several and hope to read more once this whirlwind reading schedule is complete.

11/16
Brent Barnard
Jun 18, 2012 Brent Barnard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Bible, ever. As an analogy, let me mention my grandmother's spaghetti recipe. It was meant to be dinner, but the spaghetti sauce (with ground meat, etc.) was so good that we'd eat it like dessert. That's what this Bible is like. The articles are soooo informative -- really giving you so much cultural insight into what you're reading without giving you the commentator's particular interpretation (as with many study Bibles). Makes me want to go to Gordon-Conwell Seminary (which ...more
Aaron Bagley
Jun 07, 2016 Aaron Bagley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this for the rest of my life!
Lee
Feb 09, 2016 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing Bible!
Nick Woodall
Feb 05, 2016 Nick Woodall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously the Bible is great reading, but the notes and vignettes in this one leaned a little to much toward the liberal side for me.
Patti Loveless
Jun 12, 2008 Patti Loveless rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I am using Rick Warren's "Chapter Study" technique to study the book of Nahum. I know, why Nahum. Because I have never read it before and never heard a sermon on it before. I am learning a lot about Nineveh that I have not considered before. Also, it is an awesome illustration of how deeply he LOVES His followers and how deeply he detests His enemies. I love that God tells us that He is on our side and anyone who is not on our side will be taken care of Him...no worries.
Bryan D.
Feb 16, 2013 Bryan D. is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
My Bible. This version has great information about the locations, etc. in the Bible. Whenever I sit in Bible study or small groups, there is usually some great tidbits of information that go along with the study lessons. Some individuals are usually very interested to find out what information can be pulled out and used in conjuction with the lesson or discussion. Thank you mom and dad for getting this great book for me.
Hannah
Dec 15, 2011 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the few complete Bibles that offers a good, solid, commentary. The translation, like most English translations, is not taken directly from the Hebraic-Greco (original) writings, so there are quite a few mistakes.. however, this is the best translation in print today.

If you are looking for a new Bible, or a new commentary, I would definitely try this one out before turning to the more expensive commentaries.
Connie
Jul 04, 2015 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the Bibles I use for in-depth study. It has great background and notes in addition to being NIV, which is the version I like best for studying. The maps are great, as is the CD that comes with and makes it easy to use. I'm not putting a "finished" date, since I use this one for studying, so go back and reference it a lot.
S
May 03, 2013 S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great study Bible to add to your collection. It gives a unique perspective and great information that most of us might not have known. I use it as a supplement when really studying a particular area of the Bible. The pictures and beautiful and things are well documented. I would definitely recommend this Bible.
Re-ignite Your Bible Study! 3 16 Dec 15, 2008 10:11AM
  • The Cross Examination of Jesus Christ
  • The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era: Exploring the Background & Early Christianity
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus
  • How We Got the Bible
  • The Journey from Texts to Translations: The Origin and Development of the Bible
  • The Bible as History
  • Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament: Introducing the Conceptual World of the Hebrew Bible
  • The Babylonian Genesis: The Story of the Creation
  • Canon of Scripture
  • Genesis 1-15 (Word Biblical Commentary #1)
  • The New Interpreter's Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version With the Apocrypha
  • Toward an Exegetical Theology: Biblical Exegesis for Preaching and Teaching
  • Zondervan Handbook to the Bible
  • A History of Israel
  • Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • The Letter of James
  • Synopsis of the Four Gospels
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“4“Show me, O LORD, my life’s end and the number of my days;† let me know how fleeting is my life.† 5You have made my days† a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man’s life is but a breath.†” 0 likes
“9God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord,† is faithful.†” 0 likes